Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Stenson-izing my 3 Wood

Shankster

I just turned my 3 wood down to 12.5... I am going to give it a go next round, and refrain from hitting the driver.  I feel like I work my butt off to keep the thing on the planet, while I walk up and smash a 284 yard 3 wood like I’ve been doing it my entire life.

12.5° vs. 14°... Will I see any more distance? Or will I be turning it back back to 14°?

My driver is obviously ill fitting, and will be taken care of later.  So I figured why not experiment a little. 

If it works out and I get some bombs with this thing, the first thing I am doing is buying a BOSS polo shirt. 😏

also... have you checked eBay for Tour Issue SIM fairways?  So much smaller than the retail version... uh oh to my wallet? 

13 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I just turned my 3 wood down to 12.5... I am going to give it a go next round, and refrain from hitting the driver.  I feel like I work my butt off to keep the thing on the planet, while I walk up and smash a 284 yard 3 wood like I’ve been doing it my entire life.

12.5° vs. 14°... Will I see any more distance? Or will I be turning it back back to 14°?

My driver is obviously ill fitting, and will be taken care of later.  So I figured why not experiment a little. 

If it works out and I get some bombs with this thing, the first thing I am doing is buying a BOSS polo shirt. 😏

also... have you checked eBay for Tour Issue SIM fairways?  So much smaller than the retail version... uh oh to my wallet? 

G410 LST 3 Wood.  Smaller head.  Bomber off the tee and incredible off the deck.

Taylormade also has the SIM Rocket fairway with the titanium construction could be another option, which starts at 14 as well. Also Cobra has the SpeedZone Tour 3 wood which has a smaller profile.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

26 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Taylormade also has the SIM Rocket fairway with the titanium construction could be another option, which starts at 14 as well. Also Cobra has the SpeedZone Tour 3 wood which has a smaller profile.

I have the SLDR version of the TS.  It is a tiny little beast.  Love it.  But I bought it along time ago, swing has changed, plus I wasn’t fit for it.

18 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Yup. Standard g410 launched too high. Lst still launches really easy but spins less so the flight is a bit flatter 

There’s maybe two holes that I use it for a tee shot.  The rest is the driver and 2 hybrid sprinkled in there, and 1 five iron tee shot for par 4’s.  I suppose I could move back to the back tees... but, I can’t remember the last time I hit it off the deck on the course.

I do get a nice flight with the SLDR, but I have to be leaving something out there.  Just like the driver.  Poor technique, or ill fitting clubs...

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Getting fit for a driver might be a better option before dropping too much dough on 3-woods. Driver designs are way more forgiving that 3-woods. I'm guessing you like the 3-wood because of the shorter length? I would suggest seeing if you could cut your driver down to 43.5" or 44" and see if that makes much of a difference. It still may not fit you perfectly but it could give insights on what your preferences are. 

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

Depends on your ball flight.  If you normally hit the ball straight or a fade, you may get more fade.  Could cost distance.

Likely, you hit the 3W better than driver because the tendency with 3W is to hit level or slightly down (from the fairway) imparting more backspin and a straighter flight. If the ball is on a tee with driver, the tendency is to want to hit up more, taking backspin off and losing accuracy.  I believe on average, most pros hit slightly down with driver.   Just my dweeb opinion!!  🥴

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kansas King said:

Getting fit for a driver might be a better option before dropping too much dough on 3-woods. Driver designs are way more forgiving that 3-woods. I'm guessing you like the 3-wood because of the shorter length? I would suggest seeing if you could cut your driver down to 43.5" or 44" and see if that makes much of a difference. It still may not fit you perfectly but it could give insights on what your preferences are. 

I like the 3 wood because it is deadly accurate, and 260+ off the tee.  

Tried a shorter driver, not for me.

34 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Depends on your ball flight.  If you normally hit the ball straight or a fade, you may get more fade.  Could cost distance.

Likely, you hit the 3W better than driver because the tendency with 3W is to hit level or slightly down (from the fairway) imparting more backspin and a straighter flight. If the ball is on a tee with driver, the tendency is to want to hit up more, taking backspin off and losing accuracy.  I believe on average, most pros hit slightly down with driver.   Just my dweeb opinion!!  🥴

Just a guess, but I think off the tee I’m hitting up on the 3 Wood just a smidge.  No way in knowing, but just from what it looks like, and the way I set up.

11 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

I just got the cobra speedzone. Upgraded from a hand me down ping g 30. I was hitting 240 yard low flying missiles. Had 1 run out an additional 35 yards.

Fairways & Greens

18 hours ago, Abower said:

I just got the cobra speedzone. Upgraded from a hand me down ping g 30. I was hitting 240 yard low flying missiles. Had 1 run out an additional 35 yards.

Glad you got a good fit. I really like the Cobra driver.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Left the driver at work on accident... kind of hope something happens to it... that way I can replace it.

Bur I am headed to the range first light tomorrow.  Getting some heel shots I need to work out of the irons.  Has to be a set up issue. I’ll give the Henrik-Wood a try at 12.5° And report back

21 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Left the driver at work on accident... kind of hope something happens to it... that way I can replace it.

Bur I am headed to the range first light tomorrow.  Getting some heel shots I need to work out of the irons.  Has to be a set up issue. I’ll give the Henrik-Wood a try at 12.5° And report back

My 3w is 13° if I can handle it you can especially since you're a better overall golfer than me lol

I'm in the same boat as you.  Love the 3w, hate the driver.  I'm gonna find my bomber 3 wood for next year and gonna stick to it all season long. I prefer a larger head (180-200cc) over the compact size tho. I'm gonna be testing the Sim Max Rocket, Mavrik Max, Cobra Speedzone Big Tour and Wishon 919 FD.  Good luck in your search.  

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :cobra-small: :touredgeexotics: :cleveland-small: :PXG:               

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52/58*
Wilson Staff Infinite Michigan Ave
Taylormade Tour Response

Well... it works.  But the trajectory is a lot flatter than what I am used to.  Round on Wednesday.  If I can clear the top of the trees on 13 we are good to go. Much better results off the deck too.  Nice little draw.

also... I couldn’t stand leaving my driver at work so I went and got it.  A little set up tweak and I’m more consistent. 

3 minutes ago, SmoothG said:

Interested to hear how your round went yesterday?  

Haha..... it went.  Warmed up on the range well, then I fell apart on the course.  I ended up bringing it back to 14°, the launch was a smidge low.

Worst round of the year, by far.  But that was for other reasons.

5 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Haha..... it went.  Warmed up on the range well, then I fell apart on the course.  I ended up bringing it back to 14°, the launch was a smidge low.

I'm guessing it was a no-go clearing the trees on 13?

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :cobra-small: :touredgeexotics: :cleveland-small: :PXG:               

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52/58*
Wilson Staff Infinite Michigan Ave
Taylormade Tour Response

• 3 weeks later...

When you had cranked down, could you hit off the turf? I had the same idea while I was waiting for a new driver shaft this summer, and I decided to de-loft my 3 wood from 15 down to 13, but I couldn’t hit it off of the fairway anymore, but no complaints off the tee..

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

3 minutes ago, Micah T said:

When you had cranked down, could you hit off the turf? I had the same idea while I was waiting for a new driver shaft this summer, and I decided-lofted my 3 wood from 15 down to 13, but I couldn’t hit it off of the fairway anymore, but no complaints off the tee..

Yeah, I could.  I normally don’t have any shots from the fairway with a 3 wood. But I did practice on the range for that off chance.

8 hours ago, Micah T said:

When you had cranked down, could you hit off the turf? I had the same idea while I was waiting for a new driver shaft this summer, and I decided-lofted my 3 wood from 15 down to 13, but I couldn’t hit it off of the fairway anymore, but no complaints off the tee..

I game a 13° 3w all the time off the deck and off the tee I love it

Love the title of the thread "Stenson-izing".  Man can that guy drill his 3w... and every other club in the bag!  I never realized that he is considered amongst the best ever pure ball strikers in the game. But he always looks pissed off when doing so 🤣.

https://betting.betfair.com/golf/henrik-Stenson-iron-shot-1280.gif

But he does have a lighter side.

Golf GIFs of the Week: January 25th | AdamSarson.com

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Love the title of the thread "Stenson-izing".  Man can that guy drill his 3w... and every other club in the bag!  I never realized that he is considered amongst the best ever pure ball strikers in the game. But he always looks pissed off when doing so 🤣.

https://betting.betfair.com/golf/henrik-Stenson-iron-shot-1280.gif

But he does have a lighter side.

Golf GIFs of the Week: January 25th | AdamSarson.com

He is one of my favorites.  The guy is a machine.

10 hours ago, tommc23 said:

I game a 13° 3w all the time off the deck and off the tee I love it

I did for years until I got where I did not have enough SS to get it airborne. Been playing a 16* Adams with a soft shaft going on 4 years now. I know a lot of folks now days refer to it as a 3 wood but IMHO a real 3 wood is from 13 to 14 degrees respectively

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G