Jump to content

ST190 v G410


jdietrich
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’ve had the ST for nearly a year and seem to hit maybe 2/10 consistently long and straight. I usually either hit a high fade to straight slice (280/300 yards) with it. I recently got the G410 5w and I am to hitting it long and straight (245/65 yards) with the Ping tour shaft unlike the ST. I’m now in a pickle of either getting the Ping Driver or perhaps getting a heavier shaft for me driver. Any advice where to go from here?

  • Like 1

Ping Zing 2 3-S

Nike Sumo2 3 wood

Nike Sumo 9000 driver 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To optimize your driver best to go get fit.  Right head with he wrong shaft may be worse or vice versa.  Recently had a fitting and first half was trying different heads with a few different shafts and second half was dialing in the right shaft with the head that worked best.  By the time we were done I was confident with the feel of the driver and fitter made sure the driver numbers were optimized for my swing.

Lingering thoughts that another combination could work better are now gone.  I have been changing out almost all my clubs this year and this is the goal with each fitting. 

  • Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue Draw

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 52-56-60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, jdietrich said:

I’ve had the ST for nearly a year and seem to hit maybe 2/10 consistently long and straight. I usually either hit a high fade to straight slice (280/300 yards) with it. I recently got the G410 5w and I am to hitting it long and straight (245/65 yards) with the Ping tour shaft unlike the ST. I’m now in a pickle of either getting the Ping Driver or perhaps getting a heavier shaft for me driver. Any advice where to go from here?

high fade/slice means face is open to path at impact.    You can:

1.  Fix your swing to hit the ball straighter

2. Get fit to help get the face to be more square at impact

3. Switch drivers on your own and see if anything fixes your problem

I would do a combination of 1 and 2. 

 

  • Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

high fade/slice means face is open to path at impact.    You can:

1.  Fix your swing to hit the ball straighter

2. Get fit to help get the face to be more square at impact

3. Switch drivers on your own and see if anything fixes your problem

I would do a combination of 1 and 2. 

 

Definitely try and get into a fitter. Yes maybe the g410 could help with movable weights and such, but never hurts to go see a expert as suggested above.

  • Like 2

 ⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

               :ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

high fade/slice means face is open to path at impact.    You can:

1.  Fix your swing to hit the ball straighter

2. Get fit to help get the face to be more square at impact

3. Switch drivers on your own and see if anything fixes your problem

I would do a combination of 1 and 2. 

 

+100. A new head or shaft isn’t likely to help as much as 1 or 2. No club, even a perfectly fitted one, will override ANY swing fault.

People here like to recommend fittings in EVERY situation. That’s often questionable advice for most mid to high handicappers. Like it or not, almost all fitters are there to sell clubs, and they will even if the recommended club is going to fix 10% of your problem...

  • Like 3
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Middler said:

+100. A new head or shaft isn’t likely to help as much as 1 or 2. No club, even a perfectly fitted one, will override ANY swing fault.

People here like to recommend fittings in EVERY situation. That’s often bad advice for most mid to high handicappers. Like it or not, almost all fitters are there to sell clubs, and they will even if the recommended club is going to fix 10% of your problem...

Correct most people on here like myself would recommend going to see a fitter. I having worked in a golf shop and done fittings myself of course would love to sell a new club, but a good fitter (like TXG videos will often say) will work with your swing and explain what is happening and why and will work with you to make sure you get proper results. If it comes from a club great, if the swing is that off then no club will help and they should recommend another option or work with you to help fix those swing faults. 

  • Like 2

 ⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

               :ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

Correct most people on here like myself would recommend going to see a fitter. I having worked in a golf shop and done fittings myself of course would love to sell a new club, but a good fitter (like TXG videos will often say) will work with your swing and explain what is happening and why and will work with you to make sure you get proper results. If it comes from a club great, if the swing is that off then no club will help and they should recommend another option or work with you to help fix those swing faults. 

I’m sure it happens occasionally but I wonder how often Club Champion doesn’t recommend new club(s), shaft(s) or both when someone has a fitting? Anyone know? I’d guess they recommend some store purchase at least 80% of the time.

And I wonder what percentage of players would benefit more from lessons/practice versus a fitting? Both have benefits but fittings aren’t the silver bullet some make them out to be. (Major) Swing faults aren’t at all uncommon, neither are players who (almost) never practice though they play often...fittings probably won’t do much for them.

Would you recommend a fitting first for a player who “usually either hit a high fade to straight slice (280/300 yards)” 8 of 10 drives?

  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Middler said:

I’m sure it happens occasionally but I wonder how often Club Champion doesn’t recommend new club(s), shaft(s) or both when someone has a fitting? Anyone know? I’d guess they recommend some store purchase at least 80% of the time.

And I wonder what percentage of players would benefit more from lessons/practice versus a fitting? Both have benefits but fittings aren’t the silver bullet some make them out to be. (Major) Swing faults aren’t at all uncommon, neither are players who (almost) never practice though they play often...fittings probably won’t do much for them.

Would you recommend a fitting for a player who “usually either hit a high fade to straight slice (280/300 yards)” 8 of 10 drives?

During my fitting at club champion,  I was told that my 3 wood, hybrids, and putter were correct for me.  

If the player was hitting a high fade to straight slice I would recommend getting fit no matter the distance.  I hit lots of  clubs with stock shafts roughly fit to my swing and I can tell you that some clubs just don't work well for me.  

Fittings will put the best equipment in the players hands that will maximize their ability to hit the ball well.  Yes,  lessons can fix major swing flaws and fitting won't fix a persons swing.   Obviously it depends on the individual goals and objectives.   However,  if someone comes on a golf forum asking what clubs they should play,  the answer has to be get fit.   If someone told me to play PXG clubs off the rack,  I would say they gave me terrible advice;  they are low flying hook machines for me.  I love KBS shafts  and would tell everyone to get them in every club in the bag.  But I realize that some don't like them and that there are various models that work differently for the person.  Without a fitting,  how does a player determine the best shaft and club for their game?   If I go into the local golf store and start hitting clubs to see how they work,  I am doing a fitting,  a very limited fitting,  but a fitting.  

  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Middler said:

I’m sure it happens occasionally but I wonder how often Club Champion doesn’t recommend new club(s), shaft(s) or both when someone has a fitting? Anyone know? I’d guess they recommend some store purchase at least 80% of the time.

And I wonder what percentage of players would benefit more from lessons/practice versus a fitting? Both have benefits but fittings aren’t the silver bullet some make them out to be. (Major) Swing faults aren’t at all uncommon, neither are players who (almost) never practice though they play often...fittings probably won’t do much for them.

Would you recommend a fitting first for a player who “usually either hit a high fade to straight slice (280/300 yards)” 8 of 10 drives?

Didn't MGS just have a podcast on this? May have to go back and check out no puts given to see...
I think in the end the same goal is trying to be achieved. A fitting could help the itch of a possible new club, but it could also show the data and club face to help visualize the issue this person is having. A lesson may achieve the same thing, however for me I learn a lot more from seeing the issue rather then being told. Hopefully a good lesson would have video and such. 
In short yes I would still recommend getting fit first, it may also help actualize distance numbers as well. I have no doubt that this person can hit 280/300, but straightening that out from a fade and straight slice would put them in Bryson range of 340 plus! 
Hopefully they find this info helpful and are able to make the best informed decision for them and update us on their progress.

 ⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

               :ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Worked on my swing and grip a lot since posting this and might have fixed to where I am not missing 1 or 2 out of 10 hits and theyre just a 10 yard fade 

  • Like 2

Ping Zing 2 3-S

Nike Sumo2 3 wood

Nike Sumo 9000 driver 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2020 at 3:14 PM, jdietrich said:

I’ve had the ST for nearly a year and seem to hit maybe 2/10 consistently long and straight. I usually either hit a high fade to straight slice (280/300 yards) with it. I recently got the G410 5w and I am to hitting it long and straight (245/65 yards) with the Ping tour shaft unlike the ST. I’m now in a pickle of either getting the Ping Driver or perhaps getting a heavier shaft for me driver. Any advice where to go from here?

First question. Does your driver feel very different, in weight, balance or flex, than the 5w? If so, get some lead tape and work on the driver till it feels right. Odds are, that will straighten things out.

Second, do you swing the driver differently than the 5w ie swing up on driver and down on 5w. If so, then you could be attempting to hit up too much on the driver. Your driver swing should not feel a lot different than your FW swing. The difference should be primarily ball placement and you should be making the same swing.

If neither of these seem to be the issue, THEN go to a fitter.

BT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/15/2020 at 2:59 PM, RI_Redneck said:

First question. Does your driver feel very different, in weight, balance or flex, than the 5w? If so, get some lead tape and work on the driver till it feels right. Odds are, that will straighten things out.

Second, do you swing the driver differently than the 5w ie swing up on driver and down on 5w. If so, then you could be attempting to hit up too much on the driver. Your driver swing should not feel a lot different than your FW swing. The difference should be primarily ball placement and you should be making the same swing.

If neither of these seem to be the issue, THEN go to a fitter.

BT

Weight wise, The ST is a lot lighter and the kick is much lower. I messed with some ball positioning and grip this week and it seemed to correct it a little bit. From what I talked to my coach about, He says I am opening the face either too much on the down swing, moving my hips to early, or I am paying it too forward for my swing. It's gotten alot better since October about these issues and hoping that it continues to stay this path. 

Ping Zing 2 3-S

Nike Sumo2 3 wood

Nike Sumo 9000 driver 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 3:51 PM, jdietrich said:

Weight wise, The ST is a lot lighter and the kick is much lower. I messed with some ball positioning and grip this week and it seemed to correct it a little bit. From what I talked to my coach about, He says I am opening the face either too much on the down swing, moving my hips to early, or I am paying it too forward for my swing. It's gotten alot better since October about these issues and hoping that it continues to stay this path. 

I'm sure your coach knows how to coach, but he's not a clubfitter. If the driver feels considerably lighter, then it needs to be reweighted. Add lead tape to the head till they feel the same and then you won't be having to swing the clubs differently. As for ball position, the driver should be no more than 2" in front of the 5w, maybe less.

BT

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/10/2020 at 2:21 PM, Middler said:

I’m sure it happens occasionally but I wonder how often Club Champion doesn’t recommend new club(s), shaft(s) or both when someone has a fitting?

Good question 🙂.  To the OP, I recommend a driver fitting.  You will baseline any contenders from your current gamer and that will provide you some good confidence in the results and answering the question... archer or arrow?  Lot's of love for the G410 out there so definitely should test that one. Good luck.

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...