Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

No Touch Ball Devices

fixyurdivot

It's been interesting to see the various schemes golf courses have used to satisfy self directed or mandated rules in response to the pandemic.  Some as simple as the foam tube in the cup, to those that lift the ball out, to inverted cups, to no cup at all.  A quick search yields dozens of companies (or one man garage industries) offering a plethora of variations.  A number of patent applications and lots of articles about these and those working on the latest "necessity is the mother of invention" gizmo.

I personally like the foam tube the best as it adds no restriction on open area and, if made at the right height, offers easy ball removal.  But, it's downside is that folks tend to bugger up the hole edges using the end of their putters to extract the ball.  So, more recently, I'm favoring one that Cottonwood Hills has which is similar to the last photo but has a tapered cone bottom such that when you lift/slide it up with your putter, the ball drops clear of the hole.  These do reduce the open area a little and may keep a small percentage of putts from dropping, but local rules are often addressing that.

Which contraptions have you seen/used and which do you like the best?  If you have seen any other novel designs, please share them. 👍

Rules of Golf explained: My ball bounced off the foam noodle | National  Club Golfer

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgolfadvisor.brightspotcdn.com%2F62%2Feb%2Fee990aa44412af9b5d8172ee353b%2Fk8l5xj.gif

image.jpeg.30e3ff274adb0e5905ad0cb7be66bcd2.jpeg

image.jpeg.6120a3f8f3c979eae908fbf575ba3395.jpeg

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

i think they’re all pretty stupid and useless to be honest. 

what are the courses really preventing here? 

surface contamination has been shown to not be a significant cause of spreading the disease. 

even if it was, you still have to bend down and pick your ball up off the foam or inverted cup the same way you would if it were allowed to drop to the bottom. 

i don’t see a point. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

1 hour ago, Chip Strokes said:

i think they’re all pretty stupid and useless to be honest. 

what are the courses really preventing here? 

surface contamination has been shown to not be a significant cause of spreading the disease. 

even if it was, you still have to bend down and pick your ball up off the foam or inverted cup the same way you would if it were allowed to drop to the bottom. 

i don’t see a point. 

Well, not to send this thread and discussion off into orbit, but there are many dubious, conflicting, and questionable things being done in response to Covid. I will say that if it makes the difference in golf courses being open, and us being allowed to play, I'm going with whatever makes that happen... and these aren't that cumbersome.  In fact, unless you're a pin out preference, they actually can make removing the ball a bit easier.

I'm going with a Big Fat No on the Star Ball Cup however... I do have my limits 😉.

23 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, not to send this thread and discussion off into orbit, but there are many dubious, conflicting, and questionable things being done in response to Covid. I will say that if it makes the difference in golf courses being open, and us being allowed to play, I'm going with whatever makes that happen... and these aren't that cumbersome.  In fact, unless you're a pin out preference, they actually can make removing the ball a bit easier.

I'm going with a Big Fat No on the Star Ball Cup however... I do have my limits 😉.

oh i agree 100%. there is no shortage of cognitive dissonance when it comes to covid guidelines all over the place. it’s extremely frustrating.  there’s a complete absence of logic in what you can and can’t do these days, and in what is being asked of people vs. what is blindly being permitted.  as you said though, that’s a much longer conversation for a different thread

and you’re right - if this means courses are open then i’m all for it.  

the lift out cup contraptions do make life real easy, especially if bending over is a chore. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

I'm going with a Big Fat No on the Star Ball Cup however... I do have my limits .

I kinda life the “Lift” ball contraption. Since we’re a bunch of “older” guys anything that can help keep us upright helps
The Star “thing” is weird.
I’ve had birdies/Pars not drop because the foam or PVC insert weren’t set correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I agree about keeping the courses open. I have only see the “pool noodle” method. The lifting gadget seems like it would be a back saver but I have noticed a couple of courses that take the flag out and drop it at night. It seems the disks or handles could damage the green.

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy 10.5 closed face setting

Callaway Razor Fit 3 wood

Nickent 3 Hybrid

XR-OS 4i - 9i factory steel stiff 2 up +1

Ben Hogan 44,48,52,56

Nickent PP-01

Maxfli Tour Center of Gravity model

All of our courses in town have the pool noodle.  I went to a course about an hour drive away a few weeks ago and they had a lift contraption which worked great.  I had two putts this weekend that were dead in the heart of the cup that bounced out, mostly because the wind was 20-30 mph and the flagstick was leaning toward me.  I called birdie!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The pool noodle is fine. But i do miss the sound of the ball bouncing into the bottom of the cup.
Whatever keeps the courses open. I am an ICU nurse and golf is my sanctuary, my zen, my mind clearer and my obsession. Lets Play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

All of our courses in town have the pool noodle.  I went to a course about an hour drive away a few weeks ago and they had a lift contraption which worked great.  I had two putts this weekend that were dead in the heart of the cup that bounced out, mostly because the wind was 20-30 mph and the flagstick was leaning toward me.  I called birdie!!

Chris and I would have given you the birdie, but Martha would make you putt it 🤣.

All PVC were removed from holes today so that’s back to normal.

Rick

Left Hand, 

They used noodles here and courses still put them in. Usually after 10 or so groups you find the noodle laying on the green collar. I’ve been putting with the pin in since the rule changed to see if there’s been an appreciable increase in made/missed and found little difference. I’ve had a few bounce out due to the noodle, though

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

We're still using noodles, leave the pin in, no rakes in the bunkers, and one person per cart (except family) or mask required if 2 in cart (although I don't think too many are doing the mask in cart thing).  I'm okay with all of the preventative measures except not having a rake.  Although we allow placing a ball in the trap if you're in a foot print or unrated area, I'd still rather go back to raking the traps and playing them correctly.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Most courses did the noodle, a few did the inverted cup or pvc pipe. After a few weeks my course just put in shallow cups like on a putting green. The ball goes all the way in so there's no question.

If anything this has gotten me used to putting with the flag in.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Chris and I would have given you the birdie, but Martha would make you putt it 🤣.

The ladies at our Club are really tough - no gimmes, ya gotta hole everything out. Thankfully I play in Men's League

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

The ladies at our Club are really tough - no gimmes, ya gotta hole everything out. Thankfully I play in Men's League

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

No kidding, the women are definitely tougher on short putts than the men.

Rick

Left Hand, 

The rakes are back in the Traps but they are optional. If you don’t feel comfortable using it you don’t have to.

Rick

Left Hand, 

They are using this thing called the "pop it" which is a little spring loaded lift. Its nice they can use it to keep the courses open, but when I noticed some dents on the top line of my beloved putter, I just started carrying some Purell and reaching in. 

They were mowing the other day and pulled the stick out once I hit up and hearing the ball drop in the cup was amazing. 🤤

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

I played a course in Florida that had the 2nd one, with the wire hook that you could lift up with your putter. Half of them were bent/stuck so you had to pick the ball up and then spent a lot of time with your hands on the thing getting it to reset. As a side note a bunch of courses by me have nothing special at all and no one seems to be complaining.