TESTERS WANTED! ×

Broke 100, now bring on 90

All year since I started scoring penalties properly I have struggled to break 100. I am getting Arccos to see where my deficiencies  are. I know I am losing too many strokes (balls) off the tee according to MyRound pro. My putting is getting better and wedge play is not awful. Blowup holes are killing me.  I am going through a swing change but iron play now is much better. Any other tips? I am trying decade for course management. So tempted to just play irons all round to get under the hump. 

5374985A-7E97-46B9-8B11-F7A1C84A30EE.png

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Set the goal at 105. Then 104, etc.  continue working on your swing, and management.  Other people will suggest lessons, but those are pricey and maybe you don’t have time.  

Go out without an expectation next time.  Just play for fun, if they it using just irons, do it.  Or maybe a hybrid off the tee.

Keep on working towards your goal.  You’ll get there.

35 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

First, playing only 5 times in 3 months doesn't help to lower your index.  Hopefully, you are putting in practice time between these rounds.  

If your swing change has your iron play better, putting is getting better, and wedge play is not awful, then breaking 100 should be nearly routine.  The short game will save many strokes, but that takes a bunch of practice.  No 2 chips, no 3-putts.  Good scrambling around the green is necessary if you don't hit many greens.  

Why do you have blowup holes?  Are you getting penalties off the tee? Poor decision making?  Poor shot execution?  Bunker play?  Any swing change that improves iron play should also provide benefits to driver play.  Play whatever club you can off the tee to put the ball in the fairway.  You have some tough holes on those courses; try to make them play easier.  Just because the scorecard says a hole is a par 4, doesn't mean that you have to be on the green in two shots because the pros are.  On those longer par 4's get on the green in 3 shots and two putt for bogey with a chance at par.  18 bogeys = 90 or less.  

How old are you and what's your swing speed? Move up a set of tees to make it easier, then move back as you get more comfortable.  We have a PGA teaching pro that has a group of very good junior players.  He makes them play from the forward tees until they score par; then they can move back a tee.  Some are playing from the tips now.  The point is to learn how to get off the tee without putting yourself in trouble, and use the shorter shots into the greens to work on short game.

Hope this is useful.  I started out playing golf pretty much where you are now 29 years ago.  I have found that the more help you can get from a good instructor, the faster you improve.  I tried to learn on my own for the first 3 years, and it took the next 5 years to "unlearn" all my poor swing mechanics with a coach.  

One of these days when the weather is nice (likely not the rest of this year!) and I am passing through Portland, we should play a round and have a beer!!

Thanks for the comments. I’m 31.  Have an 18 month old and a demanding job so practice time is limited to maybe one range session a week, whiffles in the park and going through swing motions in my living room with my planemate or feels from Monte’s videos. I do have 3 9-hole rounds in there as well. 2 from an executive course in which the second time through I was +4. My swing speed on driver is about 105-110. When I connect well I can hit 280 easy. I have been dealing with a massive OTT move and over rotation due to playing baseball for years. Retracting the muscles has been a challenge. Blow up holes are usually fatigue and frustration driven from poor drives and lost balls. The stroke and distance penalties add up fast. I did have one lesson this year but that day I was hitting well. Pro adjusted my grip and then had me do shot shaping, which I think really set me back. If you watch the film of my swing after that lesson I was swaying all over the place. Thank you for the insight on just playing bogey golf. As much as I know the math, something is mental about leaving driver or 3w in the bag and not going for hero shots.  I do have a DI coming soon that, based on my irons, should help me distance wise and not loose control. 

As for when you visit PDX, the round sounds nice! 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

33 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Thanks for the comments. I’m 31.  Have an 18 month old and a demanding job so practice time is limited to maybe one range session a week, whiffles in the park and going through swing motions in my living room with my planemate or feels from Monte’s videos. I do have 3 9-hole rounds in there as well. 2 from an executive course in which the second time through I was +4. My swing speed on driver is about 105-110. When I connect well I can hit 280 easy. I have been dealing with a massive OTT move and over rotation due to playing baseball for years. Retracting the muscles has been a challenge. Blow up holes are usually fatigue and frustration driven from poor drives and lost balls. The stroke and distance penalties add up fast. I did have one lesson this year but that day I was hitting well. Pro adjusted my grip and then had me do shot shaping, which I think really set me back. If you watch the film of my swing after that lesson I was swaying all over the place. Thank you for the insight on just playing bogey golf. As much as I know the math, something is mental about leaving driver or 3w in the bag and not going for hero shots.  I do have a DI coming soon that, based on my irons, should help me distance wise and not loose control. 

I understand not having time!!  I'm retired now so I have lots of time, but I traveled a lot when I worked... two week trips overseas.  I wish I had access to the online stuff back then!!

Monte's videos are great!!  I started with his YouTube videos, then decided to buy all of his videos on his website so I can access them when I want.  His bunker play videos helped me tremendously; I always get out now, and starting to get the ball closer to the hole.  I went to his clinic is Seattle last year and was scheduled to visit his course in Irvine CA last April, but COVID... 😡  We are going to try again next April.  

I had the OTT move from baseball/softball too, but it's mostly gone.  Monte's latest video No Turn Cast works wonders on that move.

Another thought...  Last year I posted a "Challenge" to change what par is on holes.  Take a look at this thread and give it a try if you want.  No guarantees.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/31934-mid-to-high-handicapper-challenge/?tab=comments#comment-544911

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I understand not having time!!  I'm retired now so I have lots of time, but I traveled a lot when I worked... two week trips overseas.  I wish I had access to the online stuff back then!!

Monte's videos are great!!  I started with his YouTube videos, then decided to buy all of his videos on his website so I can access them when I want.  His bunker play videos helped me tremendously; I always get out now, and starting to get the ball closer to the hole.  I went to his clinic is Seattle last year and was scheduled to visit his course in Irvine CA last April, but COVID... 😡  We are going to try again next April.  

I had the OTT move from baseball/softball too, but it's mostly gone.  Monte's latest video No Turn Cast works wonders on that move.

Another thought...  Last year I posted a "Challenge" to change what par is on holes.  Take a look at this thread and give it a try if you want.  No guarantees.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/31934-mid-to-high-handicapper-challenge/?tab=comments#comment-544911

Thanks. I’ll check it out. I have really worked hard on the NTC drills. See link. Finding the time is hard but this year I will try to play at least one round a week through the winter. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/AeRiizF

My Reviews:

I am 100% positive that if you had a low single digit pick your shots, you would break 100. Getting from where you are to shooting in the 90’s is all course management.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

Thanks. I’ll check it out. I have really worked hard on the NTC drills. See link. Finding the time is hard but this year I will try to play at least one round a week through the winter. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/AeRiizF

Looks very good.  Keep it up.  You should be breaking 90 in the spring.  

Tough to play through the winter in your area.  I grew up in Corvallis, I know!!  I was at Redtail 8 years ago and the range was mud.  I'm sure there are ball plugged a foot deep. even with the screening they put down.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

I am 100% positive that if you had a low single digit pick your shots, you would break 100. Getting from where you are to shooting in the 90’s is all course management.

Listen to Nic.  He ain't lying.  

7 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

I am trying decade for course management. So tempted to just play irons all round to get under the hump. 

5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Play whatever club you can off the tee to put the ball in the fairway.

Since you're doing Decade, I'll modify what @Kenny B said and tell you to play whatever club you can off the tee to put the ball in the playing corridor of the hole.  

If you're throwing shots away off the tee, try to get on a launch monitor and figure out what your dispersion pattern looks like for your longer clubs.  Or to look at it from the other direction, does your 200 yard club have a dispersion pattern of 65 or fewer yards side-to-side?  According to the USGA Distance Insights report, 13-20 handicappers average about 200 yards off the tee.  So if you have a 200 yard club that keeps you in the corridor, you should be able to break 100 without issue.  If you can hit your driver 280, I'm guessing you should be able to get a 5-6 iron 200 yards without much issue.

Get on Google Earth and measure the size of the corridors, especially on holes where you blow up.  Perhaps you play an especially narrow course?  I play most of my golf now at an executive course with my daughter, and none of the holes have a corridor wider than 60 yards.  Most days I just try to keep the ball in play on that golf course, but if I'm getting bored I'll hit driver everywhere and figure I'm either going to be around even par or be +10.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

1 hour ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Since you're doing Decade, I'll modify what @Kenny B said and tell you to play whatever club you can off the tee to put the ball in the playing corridor of the hole.  

If you're throwing shots away off the tee, try to get on a launch monitor and figure out what your dispersion pattern looks like for your longer clubs.  Or to look at it from the other direction, does your 200 yard club have a dispersion pattern of 65 or fewer yards side-to-side?  According to the USGA Distance Insights report, 13-20 handicappers average about 200 yards off the tee.  So if you have a 200 yard club that keeps you in the corridor, you should be able to break 100 without issue.  If you can hit your driver 280, I'm guessing you should be able to get a 5-6 iron 200 yards without much issue.

Get on Google Earth and measure the size of the corridors, especially on holes where you blow up.  Perhaps you play an especially narrow course?  I play most of my golf now at an executive course with my daughter, and none of the holes have a corridor wider than 60 yards.  Most days I just try to keep the ball in play on that golf course, but if I'm getting bored I'll hit driver everywhere and figure I'm either going to be around even par or be +10.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind. My iron SS is a little slower so my 4i gets me about 205, which is fine although that may improve with my swing fixes. It is refreshing when I see those distance numbers that I hit it farther than my handicap but then again score way lower than I supposedly should. In fact, yesterday I played .4i, 4i (drive got plugged sadly) to just in front of the green so I know that is manageable. I need to leave my ego at the door and know what is in my means. I may spring for full 6 months of foundations. Currently doing the month trial and those videos were already helpful. Getting Arccos soon so I can better track my game. Looking forward to gaining some understanding and improving my game. 

ps you all are way nicer than the guys on wrx. I posed a question about leaving driver in the bag and some were not so nice. I love MGS. 

My Reviews:

. In fact, yesterday I played .4i, 4i (drive got plugged sadly) to just in front of the green so I know that is manageable

ps you all are way nicer than the guys on wrx. I posed a question about leaving driver in the bag and some were not so nice. I love MGS. 

Are you aware that you get relief from an embedded ball; except in sand? Rule 16.3.

Yes, we are nicer than WRX. While you can leave the driver in the bag, pulling driver as much as possible; provided you have the appropriate landing area, is now the appropriate strategy. For approach shots, middle of the green is you target. Even without arccos you should be able to identify where you lose strokes. Sounds like to many mistakes off the tee but you really didn’t identify anything else.

Good luck on your journey to breaking 100.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Are you aware that you get relief from an embedded ball; except in sand? Rule 16.3.

Yes, we are nicer than WRX. While you can leave the driver in the bag, pulling driver as much as possible; provided you have the appropriate landing area, is now the appropriate strategy. For approach shots, middle of the green is you target. Even without arccos you should be able to identify where you lose strokes. Sounds like to many mistakes off the tee but you really didn’t identify anything else.

Good luck on your journey to breaking 100.

Thanks. Yes I did take relief from the plug. I was giving context that without, I’d get some roll and then not need to hit another 4i. 

Here is some MyRound pro data from last round (Plus the blow up holes and 2 good holes in between). One blowup hole was me losing focus  trying to hit my 3H to green, took people to find my ball. Couldn’t, pitched into bunker and was so frustrated tried to get out with the PW. 4 strokes later finally on the green. Another blowup hole (Par 3), which funny enough was followed by two great holes, shanked 6i off the tee. Provisional was short of a bunker. Pitch was fat and into another bunker. That shot was skilled. Then pitch and 2 putts later (ugh that was ugly looking back). Another blowup hole was shanked driver. Provisional (4i) was in play but we both lost It in the sun and couldn’t find it (daylight was dwindling) then it was drop, PW to green and two putts, so I was at a 6 when I was finally hitting to a green (par 4). Finally last hole I was gassed and low daylight got the best of me. 

Looking at the stats my Driver wasn’t terrible. Just seems that way with how inconsistent and big the misses are. Short game and approach data is skewed from so little longer shots into the green. 

821F9761-4A53-44D6-BD3C-6A92A7B694C9.png

BCEC1051-B7C5-4429-9133-4D87FA7D4BF4.png

20E8A453-BA79-4971-9D73-047C935150BE.png

26FF563B-3E84-451C-87CB-E0BB850CAA63.png

289FFA4B-6D55-45E7-BFFB-72E605133587.png

DA56A0EC-4D6C-4DDE-BB91-38066B2E08C5.png

8CAF381D-A6A4-4356-8E3E-F308F5C991AC.png

64BD41D7-70DA-4FB3-94E7-D4668882D891.png

7D0D326C-EC26-44D8-9C75-6FB2C4159805.png

3CBA80B7-A0B8-4D9F-BC3A-EF63B8E5FEBF.png

1F0FE323-3687-436B-8B64-D4B0A30D4047.png

FD9FF519-590E-461D-8354-BCDF84758F0D.png

EFA0C513-8160-4680-AA7A-E394B9187FF4.png

061399EE-F9E3-40E6-BC59-482EFE30C258.png

My Reviews:

Looking at your strokes gained stats, your driving doesn't look too bad.  I'd focus on your approach play first, then on short game.  I believe the stat-driven philosophies like Decade and Lowest Score Wins have found that approach play has a greater impact on total score than short game.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

2 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Looking at your strokes gained stats, your driving doesn't look too bad.  I'd focus on your approach play first, then on short game.  I believe the stat-driven philosophies like Decade and Lowest Score Wins have found that approach play has a greater impact on total score than short game.

That makes sense. A good approach game can make up for bad drives, if the ball is in play. Some of those approaches were also likely hero golf, trying to make up for a terrible drive. I know for a fact I shanked 3 drives in a row on the front and 5 on the back. The front only lead to one blow up hole (the triple on 8 ) yet the back lead to only one being a double. The 11 was actually a feasible 4i drive, but then saw the green and pulling the 3H (massive slice that hit path and was lost. Lead to mentally trying to scramble and didn’t grind if out) to reach instead of going 7i then wedge.  Now that I have wedges to test ( 🙂 ) I’ll really be focusing on short approaches and short game so we will see how that aspect improves as well as setting my self up to use them. Ultimately it’s about playing smart golf and managing expectations, like the last  E in decade. 

My Reviews:

That makes sense. A good approach game can make up for bad drives, if the ball is in play. Some of those approaches were also likely hero golf, trying to make up for a terrible drive. I know for a fact I shanked 3 drives in a row on the front and 5 on the back. The front only lead to one blow up hole (the triple on 8 ) yet the back lead to only one being a double. The 11 was actually a feasible 4i drive, but then saw the green and pulling the 3H (massive slice that hit path and was lost. Lead to mentally trying to scramble and didn’t grind if out) to reach instead of going 7i then wedge.  Now that I have wedges to test (  ) I’ll really be focusing on short approaches and short game so we will see how that aspect improves as well as setting my self up to use them. Ultimately it’s about playing smart golf and managing expectations, like the last  E in decade. 

Hero shots should not be taken. You need to try and hit the shot that will get you in the best position to make the lowest score. Hero shots have dispersion patterns as well and often that pattern puts us in a worse position than we were in.

Shanks and topped shots are things that happen, you just have to asses the next shot and try to maximize your attempt to get up and down.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Baseball players tend to miss way out to the right. Can you elaborate on your normal miss and normal ball flight? and you claim to have a massive OTT move. Are your divots pointing left? Ball flight starting left and turning to the right? Did you always have the OTT move, or did you start as a push slicer?

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

10 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

That makes sense. A good approach game can make up for bad drives, if the ball is in play. Some of those approaches were also likely hero golf, trying to make up for a terrible drive. I know for a fact I shanked 3 drives in a row on the front and 5 on the back. The front only lead to one blow up hole (the triple on 8 ) yet the back lead to only one being a double. The 11 was actually a feasible 4i drive, but then saw the green and pulling the 3H (massive slice that hit path and was lost. Lead to mentally trying to scramble and didn’t grind if out) to reach instead of going 7i then wedge.  Now that I have wedges to test ( 🙂 ) I’ll really be focusing on short approaches and short game so we will see how that aspect improves as well as setting my self up to use them. Ultimately it’s about playing smart golf and managing expectations, like the last  E in decade. 

Your stats look fairly decent to break 100.

At this point, your focus should be on eliminating shanks... do that, and you are waaaay under 100.

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

Your stats look fairly decent to break 100.

At this point, your focus should be on eliminating shanks... do that, and you are waaaay under 100.

Thanks for the support. Need some of @xOldBenKenobiX Jedi mind mastery. Also got my fairway finder in and if I can make it work, it will definitely help me keep the ball in play.

My Reviews:

6 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Thanks for the support. Need some of @xOldBenKenobiX Jedi mind mastery. Also got my fairway finder in and if I can make it work, it will definitely help me keep the ball in play.

The SpeedZone Xtreme helped a lot, something else I have been working on this year, it is to try to stop the "hero" shots.

For example, I know I most likely cannot carry the 3 wood 200 yards over the water out of the rough, so I got to make sure I remember to take the safe shot and maybe go 8 iron short of the water then pitch it in from there.

It is hard and I have failed miserably on trying it, but I feel that if I can tame my pride and work on playing smart golf, I can play a lot more pars and birdie holes than doubles and triples.

Edit: I have gotten much better about knowing my distances and what I have or don't have as far as my shots go.

Edited by xOldBenKenobiX

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

1 hour ago, scooterhd2 said:

Baseball players tend to miss way out to the right. Can you elaborate on your normal miss and normal ball flight? and you claim to have a massive OTT move. Are your divots pointing left? Ball flight starting left and turning to the right? Did you always have the OTT move, or did you start as a push slicer?

Started as a push slicer and I occasionally have a straight pull. My divots maybe are slightly left bias but not terrible. Here is a swing from the range Friday where I was OTT and I am  working on remedying with NTC. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/KvW3ZTx

Edited by rbsiedsc

My Reviews:

23 minutes ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

The SpeedZone Xtreme helped a lot, something else I have been working on this year, it is to try to stop the "hero" shots.

For example, I know I most likely cannot carry the 3 wood 200 yards over the water out of the rough, so I got to make sure I remember to take the safe shot and maybe go 8 iron short of the water then pitch it in from there.

It is hard and I have failed miserably on trying it, but I feel that if I can tame my pride and work on playing smart golf, I can play a lot more pars and birdie holes than doubles and triples.

Edit: I have gotten much better about knowing my distances and what I have or don't have as far as my shots go.

Ya i saw your review and it has me thinking. Unfortunately I got a new driver last year, somewhat fitted,  so I feel strange selling just to try this out, even though it sounds like it could help my game. I also think my wife would go nuts seeing me go through so many clubs in an 18 month span. 🤪

Edited by rbsiedsc

My Reviews:

13 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Ya i saw your review and it has me thinking. Unfortunately I got a new driver last year, somewhat fitted,  so I feel strange selling just to try this out, even though it sounds like it could help my game. I also think my wife would go nuts seeing me go through so many clubs in an 18 month span. 🤪

You should see how many putters I have gone through since December 2019 LOL.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

34 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Started as a push slicer and I occasionally have a straight pull. My divots maybe are slightly left bias but not terrible. Here is a swing from the range Friday where I was OTT and I am  working on remedying with NTC. 

Yep!  The NTC will fix that.

4 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

You should see how many putters I have gone through since December 2019 LOL.

I can imagine. Here is my club ho'ing journey

Bought used TM speedblades in A flex and some RBZ driver and 5w

Realized flex was wrong so sold and bought speedblades and aeroburner Driver/3w/5w and 3H. Turned out those stiff flexes were too flexy for me

went for retrofit, got Xstif shafts in speedblades and then fit to Epic flash SZ driver (due to the adjustments you can make to the driver, fitter basically told me to check my swing at the range that day and adjust accordingly)  and 3w and i bought an adjustable M3 3H (all in Xstiff low spin shafts) and a corza ghost putter.

Bought a Las vegas stroke lab (love this putter now) from CPO during one of their sales, like new!

went back to previous fitter since i thought something was wrong with my irons. Nothing changed. 3H was launching too low so he said get a high launching shaft. Instead I got a sub70 939x hybrid (i have good and bad moment with it).

Went to a new fitter and got new to me PXG0211 irons. Falling in love with them (see my unofficial review). Turned out my retrofitted irons were not upright enough from my prior adjustment with old fitter.

Struggled with driving so hopped on the PXG sale and grabbed the DI, waiting to take it out to see if it is playable for me and then what do i take out from my bag.

On top of that I got several training aids (planemate, OW, and bought some of Monte's video series (NTC and Efficient Swing)) and got a lesson where the coach saw my swing, adjusted my grip and then just had me do shot shaping all day (waste of $50 in my mind) plus got Arccos to better understand my game.

*end of long winded response*

My Reviews:

18 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Two suggestions. Equipment: Hybrid irons. Once you get use to them, breaking 100 will be easy. Course management: I spent 30 years trying to get as far down to the hole as possible trying to get on in regulation. Then I realized, there's no way, I am getting it on from 170-200 yards out. So, just take a 5-8 iron, sometimes with just a punch shot and advance the ball just before the green/traps. It's an easy pitch and putt. If the pitch is not easy, look at a chipper club. We're not pros and we don't play on their manicured courses. Take an approach that allows you to enjoy the game.  

I played baseball for 20 years and the OTT move was the most difficult thing to get rid of for me. Ball players do have an overwhelming tendency to miss right and that was me for a long time. Best piece of advice was simply to make sure my head stayed behind the ball. Changed my driving completely.

Wedge play/approaches are of vital importance as well. Not to come across as preachy but one of the keys to break 100 and even 90 is GIR. Do whatever you can to hit the green and the rest takes care of itself. I would highly recommend trying an irons only round, it’ll change how you play I promise.

That being said, you also have to accept that bogey is a good score on some holes and bogey golf is the first step to being more consistent! You’ll get some great advice on here from some awesome people, I have no doubt you’ll be breaking 100 soon! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

On 10/13/2020 at 9:44 AM, rbsiedsc said:

Yeah. Several common faults there - flying right elbow, OTT, chicken wing. Nothing we havent seen 1000 times.

You really just need to work with your pivot first and foremost. You sequence is messed up. Not enough right hip turn. Coming inside a touch. Should feel like that right elbow never goes outside of the seam on your shirt because you need are turning into the right hip. If you do that your left wrist wont be as cupped as you will actually be able to swing from the inside. Just like baseball, you want to hit the inside of the ball. Then you will have a better chance of not having to stall and swing at the ball. That whole action will reduce the need to chicken wing the left arm on the follow through. You'll be able to hold the angles better.

Try hitting some wedges with your feet together to get a sense of the pivot and the body providing the power and not the arms. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

1 hour ago, scooterhd2 said:

Yeah. Several common faults there - flying right elbow, OTT, chicken wing. Nothing we havent seen 1000 times.

You really just need to work with your pivot first and foremost. You sequence is messed up. Not enough right hip turn. Coming inside a touch. Should feel like that right elbow never goes outside of the seam on your shirt because you need are turning into the right hip. If you do that your left wrist wont be as cupped as you will actually be able to swing from the inside. Just like baseball, you want to hit the inside of the ball. Then you will have a better chance of not having to stall and swing at the ball. That whole action will reduce the need to chicken wing the left arm on the follow through. You'll be able to hold the angles better.

Try hitting some wedges with your feet together to get a sense of the pivot and the body providing the power and not the arms. 

Thanks, all of that is things I have heard before except from my one lesson. I have mobility issues so my pivot varies from day to day. My main swing thought on release is to try to hit the ball to right field but have the hips come through like pulling it down the line.

My Reviews:

Had a range and some wedge short game and pitching session today. I think the DI will work really nicely for me in the interim. My dispersion seemed less and distances more consistent. Was hitting the 200 pole with roll although i think that may have been a little farther since i was hitting across the range (the grass is on the far left side of the range at an angle). Going to do an iron only round on Sunday to see how I do (and get some wedge practice in for the upcoming Raw testing 😄 ) 

Edited by rbsiedsc

My Reviews: