TESTERS WANTED! ×

Broke 100, now bring on 90

37 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Thanks, all of that is things I have heard before except from my one lesson. I have mobility issues so my pivot varies from day to day. My main swing thought on release is to try to hit the ball to right field but have the hips come through like pulling it down the line.

maybe try somewhat of the opposite. Hips and ribcage want to smash it hard left, and the shoulder comes through down the line. 

as a drill or feel setup closed to the target, so that you know the ball will start right of the target. there is little you can do but to work the ball left. work your hips and ribs left. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

12 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

maybe try somewhat of the opposite. Hips and ribcage want to smash it hard left, and the shoulder comes through down the line. 

as a drill or feel setup closed to the target, so that you know the ball will start right of the target. there is little you can do but to work the ball left. work your hips and ribs left. 

Thanks for the advice. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

24 minutes ago, NC Golfer said:

Why are most of your clubs stiff or x stiff? It seems extreme. Don't overlook the equipment as a possible issue or a way of getting better. 

based on the thread it was based on fittings. shaft flex does not indicate level of play; shaft characteristics are about how the person loads and unloads the shaft

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, NC Golfer said:
2 hours ago, cnosil said:

based on the thread it was based on fittings. shaft flex does not indicate level of play; shaft characteristics are about how the person loads and unloads the shaft

2 hours ago, NC Golfer said:

Why are most of your clubs stiff or x stiff? It seems extreme. Don't overlook the equipment as a possible issue or a way of getting better. 

Like above based on fittings, although I am starting to think that maybe my wood shaft is off. The way my DI responded with a 6.0 Smoke black shaft felt so good. 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

The no driver experiment netted the same usual results. This time Arccos did give me better data than MyRound pro. Will try the driver next round. The DI is nice when I got it to work, it just took 11 holes The front was just a disaster. Things got better when I had the cast A swing thought from NTC instead of hands to 7:00.  One etiquette question. When playing with partners and you can’t see the ball bit they did, should they help you find your ball? On 18 they said I hit a good drive and that it was left of center and couldn’t find it and they didn’t bother to help me at all. It kind of peeved me. 

A58F4C33-48D6-47A3-A7E4-78EED7CE27A9.png

DCDC89B8-8A58-4383-AD94-C21862AC2CC0.png

Edited by rbsiedsc

My Reviews:

Do they have to help you find your ball? No. Should they have? Yes. I will always help. Now if the area is full of poison ivy, count me out and I'll give you a ball. Helping someone speeds up play. If you were playing for money then thats a cheap way of gaining a stroke on you. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

they’re under no obligation to help you but it’s kind of a dick move to not even come take a quick look around where they thought it landed. 

i’ll always help unless i’m in worse trouble on the other side of the fairway myself 😂😂

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

3 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Do they have to help you find your ball? No. Should they have? Yes. I will always help. Now if the area is full of poison ivy, count me out and I'll give you a ball. Helping someone speeds up play. If you were playing for money then thats a cheap way of gaining a stroke on you. 

Ya there was no ivy or anything. We weren’t even being pushed. I searched 5 mins and they were already walking to the green so I dropped and took the two stroke penalty. I always help my playing partners, even if I don’t know them. 

My Reviews:

On 10/14/2020 at 6:45 PM, rbsiedsc said:

Thanks, all of that is things I have heard before except from my one lesson. I have mobility issues so my pivot varies from day to day. My main swing thought on release is to try to hit the ball to right field but have the hips come through like pulling it down the line.

I fought an uncontrollable OTT swing for a decade.  For me, thinking about swinging out to first base only made things worse.  For me it was more about getting into a better position that allowed me to pivot and shallow and come from the inside.  An instructor would certainly know better than I, and it's possible you have other issues that would need to be addressed first, but I'd get a lesson and see if you couldn't get some help cleaning up your backswing and getting into a good position at the top.  You can probably figure it out on your own, but lessons will save you a ton of time.

The two things that helped my score the most were putting tee shots in play (not OB or behind a tree/in tall grass, etc.), and making consistent contact.  The former required a better understand of face to path.  The latter, just a ton of practice.  Like many have said before me, you really only need about a 180-200 yard  club you can hit ok to break 100.  Your hybrid doesn't seem to be your strength, but you may want to see if you can't work on that.  When I finally learned to hit my hybrid my scores came down quick.

Titleist 913D2

Ping G2 3W

Ping G2 3H 18*, 4H 22*

Mizuno JPX900

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

1 hour ago, bonvivantva said:

I fought an uncontrollable OTT swing for a decade.  For me, thinking about swinging out to first base only made things worse.  For me it was more about getting into a better position that allowed me to pivot and shallow and come from the inside.  An instructor would certainly know better than I, and it's possible you have other issues that would need to be addressed first, but I'd get a lesson and see if you couldn't get some help cleaning up your backswing and getting into a good position at the top.  You can probably figure it out on your own, but lessons will save you a ton of time.

The two things that helped my score the most were putting tee shots in play (not OB or behind a tree/in tall grass, etc.), and making consistent contact.  The former required a better understand of face to path.  The latter, just a ton of practice.  Like many have said before me, you really only need about a 180-200 yard  club you can hit ok to break 100.  Your hybrid doesn't seem to be your strength, but you may want to see if you can't work on that.  When I finally learned to hit my hybrid my scores came down quick.

Thanks for that! I believe I can utilize my 4 or 5 or 6 off the tee well enough to get me in play. After today that is the case and if I want to use a DI or driver, more work needs to be put in for sure. I was hoping the NTC drill and planemate use would help. Lessons likely in the cards again, just with a different instructor. 

My Reviews:

7 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Thanks for that! I believe I can utilize my 4 or 5 or 6 off the tee well enough to get me in play. After today that is the case and if I want to use a DI or driver, more work needs to be put in for sure. I was hoping the NTC drill and planemate use would help. Lessons likely in the cards again, just with a different instructor. 

Also consider your short vs long term goals.  When I was fighting my really bad ott swing, I was coming into the ball very steep and more often than not I was hitting it fat.  With an iron that meant a huge divot.  With a hybrid, I'd often hit the ground first then top the ball.  As a result, my irons were much more reliable than my hybrid was.  After I sorted out my poor backswing and managed my path better, the hybrid became much more forgiving than my irons.  I could hit it a little fat or thin and still have a very reasonable result.

My point is that in the short run, you should do whatever works.  If the longest club you can put in play off the tee is a 5i, so be it.  In the longer term, you look young and athletic enough to find enough distance to be hitting approach shots on your 3rd shot on even long par 5s, etc.  

Finding an instructor that is both skilled, and matches with your learning style and personality is not easy, but will be well worth it.

Edited by bonvivantva

Titleist 913D2

Ping G2 3W

Ping G2 3H 18*, 4H 22*

Mizuno JPX900

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

Here's my 2 cents.

1. Play more golf.

2. Keep the ball in play. If this means you have to hit 5 irons of every tee do it. Eliminate penalties and gets the 8s and 9s of the scorecard.

3. Short game, short game, short game. Practice the short game.

4. Lessons.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Hey bro! Great post. I’m about where you are, my kids are a bit older so getting out to play. I wasn’t playing more than 3-4 times a year before this year. I have a 27 handicap and really only started scoring legit. I live in Bend so let’s keep in touch and get a round in one of these days. 

Playing mostly Mizuno Hot Metal, but just added an Epic Flash 26* hybrid to the bag. 

Cold round this morning. Getting closer. Shot a 108 so 6 strokes better. Was a balmy 36* at tee off. Still struggling with driver. First ball was great and then nothing else could get going with it. Learned a lot on distance with clubs playing in cold with a brisk wind. Only lost two balls this ho around do that’s a plus. Back was again better than front by 8 strokes. Putting and short game coming along (which is great for the wedge test coming up). If I can get my ball striking back I’ll hit my goal. I think what is holding me back there is I am trying to hard to hit the ball, if that makes sense. Most my misses are fat, ground first leading to poor contact. As well, trying to hit the ball causes me to not finish my swing. I then duck hook my driver or top it (same with the DI at times). 

Edited by rbsiedsc

My Reviews:

Went back and really thought how was i swinging the best this year and it was when I was doing planemate work. Going back to that now with some NTC feels at the top. Not a great range session yesterday but those happen. Really going through the motions slowly at home leading up to my round Sunday and the feelings feel so good with the pivot and quiet arms. Sunday round will be on a shorter course (6200) and lots of strategic tight fairway setups, so the driver will likely be in the bag for all but 3-4 holes maybe. Had really good short game practice yesterday with the Zipcores, developing a good feel for the 58 in all shorts of lies. Will see if I can break through, one hole at a time, one shot at a time, 9 bogeys, 9 doubles will do it.

My Reviews:

One stroke better today. A 107. Had 4 pars on the day. If it wasn’t for blow up holes ( 4 of them) I easily break 100. My playing partner mentioned that if I keep this up I’ll break 100 after my second par of the day (started on the back nine). Then came a loss of focus and a blow up hole. Worked on having a preshot routine and that seemed to help. Only pulled the driver out twice and kept it in play both times. DI is coming along despite a few mishits.  If I stay focused it gets me to safety, otherwise it’s a terrible shank or push,which happened 3 times. Learned that with my irons, I need to focus on making contact a few inches past the ball. When I did that I got much better ball flight, including an amazing shot with my 4i from about 205 away. Just need to remember that focus point. The planemate work also helped me really stay on plane until the last hole when I was starting to get gassed. Also really helps me on my pivot, although I really need to learn to quiet my hands. 
Only lost 3 balls (5 strokes). Some chipping and three putting also cost me as well as the 4 blow up holes. It was great to have three birdie attempts but unfortunately went 0/3 but kept them at pars. Overall I know what I need to do, how to play smarter, and will get over this hump. Highlight holes and 4 blowups in photos. The par three blow up, my drive was near a tree and I couldn’t get a backswing in enough to chip. In hindsight should have bumped it with my 8 using a putting stroke. 

DBDD8F21-41D1-439F-87A6-B0669822560E.png

898B6D2A-F008-4520-82A3-8374293EFFB3.png

A47ACBB5-57C8-4A2E-A10D-BC29D2C94381.png

872858E7-5B88-4402-A30E-5F2CF09DE5B8.png

C4CEA50C-D281-4FDF-85F9-95E5E3F1E7AC.png

0B9F7F74-FB4D-427C-8E1F-5104D1558AD9.png

FE6A6E30-2D3E-4D6D-B327-884927B4FF21.png

D71984EE-F4A8-45B0-AB6B-164193A802E0.jpeg

7D2A1757-DFE4-4304-840C-A1F7C2FB5431.jpeg

87C102A9-66B6-49AC-910A-D43E76245324.png

Edited by rbsiedsc

My Reviews:

Following along. 

Not long ago I was shooting like 114. I am now able to shoot in the low 100s now that every shot off the tee is no longer a snap hook. I don't always break 100 these days, but if I bring some sort of competent driver swing, then usually i have a good chance. If the driver is not behaving, then I need to bring a really good iron swing for the day, otherwise i will be slightly over 100.

Keep up the good work.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

Following along. 

Not long ago I was shooting like 114. I am now able to shoot in the low 100s now that every shot off the tee is no longer a snap hook. I don't always break 100 these days, but if I bring some sort of competent driver swing, then usually i have a good chance. If the driver is not behaving, then I need to bring a really good iron swing for the day, otherwise i will be slightly over 100.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks as I am also following your journey to shoot low.  It becomes frustrating because you know you can play well. The key is doing it every shot, every hole and making the smart play, not the play the pros would try to play. 

My Reviews:

Had a TrackMan session for the wedge testing today. Will post the wedge data in the review thread. The instructor actually gave me some tips that helped my striking. He did a static measurement on me and noted my clubs are actually an 1” too short for me (edit: read my specs wrong from my fitter, I am still at the right length) To compensate, he had me widen my stance to about 16-17” so my lower body can stay ahead. Man did that help my strike consistency. One other thing he told me was how the longer the club, the more you have to open the club face at address since the face wants to close more. While it was strange at first, it started to click after a few balls. I am really looking forward to taking this knowledge out to the course Sunday. I may have found a new swing coach too. 

I will say, the numbers on 7i don’t make sense as I was flying that the same as my 9i. Maybe fatigue or just not good strokes. Need to look more at the club face data. 

8660118B-C9D0-4F26-ABB7-355108B5405A.jpeg

Edited by rbsiedsc
Correction about club length, correction, still can't read, specs are 1" too low according to this pro

My Reviews:

Felt like I had a step back day today. Shot my worst round of the year playing from a tee closer due to the cold. My iron striking was down right atrocious  for approach shots ( lost 5 strokes between 100-150 and sadly 4 strokes from the fairway). Great examples in the images. I tried widening my stance as the pro mentioned during my TrackMan session and everything was either a chunk or a terrible hook. I am looking back and maybe my pre-shot routine was messing with me. I stopped doing the Cast A drill during my practice swing which likely messed with my path. My wedge play was also terrible. I think testing maybe got into my head instead of playing a smarter bump and run type shot instead (Chipping today cost me 9 strokes). My distance control with them was all over the place. I am going to try to chalk this or as just a bad round. I hope this isn’t a trend and that I was just too much in my head.  On the bright side, my driving stokes gained was the best of the four metrics. I only lost two balls off the tee due to iron fats into water. 

1D806751-DAEF-4986-A413-895B86D0C348.jpeg

A43636C1-D2A0-4F43-9AE8-0159F63227D6.jpeg

CC9561E2-EF7F-4A73-8E51-2C829ED3F9EC.jpeg

My Reviews:

43 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Felt like I had a step back day today. Shot my worst round of the year playing from a tee closer due to the cold. My iron striking was down right atrocious  for approach shots ( lost 5 strokes between 100-150 and sadly 4 strokes from the fairway). Great examples in the images. I tried widening my stance as the pro mentioned during my TrackMan session and everything was either a chunk or a terrible hook. I am looking back and maybe my pre-shot routine was messing with me. I stopped doing the Cast A drill during my practice swing which likely messed with my path. My wedge play was also terrible. I think testing maybe got into my head instead of playing a smarter bump and run type shot instead (Chipping today cost me 9 strokes). My distance control with them was all over the place. I am going to try to chalk this or as just a bad round. I hope this isn’t a trend and that I was just too much in my head.  On the bright side, my driving stokes gained was the best of the four metrics. I only lost two balls off the tee due to iron fats into water. 

I didn't have the best day today either. I hit some of the worst possible iron shots. I was also trying to implement some new stuff with my irons and of course it made it much worse. Keep your head up.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

10 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I didn't have the best day today either. I hit some of the worst possible iron shots. I was also trying to implement some new stuff with my irons and of course it made it much worse. Keep your head up.

Thanks man. It makes me want to revert but I think what I am trying to do will work out better in the long run. Golf is a funny game. To learn an implement something new, you usually get a few hiccups for rounds. 

My Reviews:

4 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Thanks man. It makes me want to revert but I think what I am trying to do will work out better in the long run. Golf is a funny game. To learn an implement something new, you usually get a few hiccups for rounds. 

Many times I am trying to implement something that I "think" I need to do, those are usually the ones that end up being the worst. I am vowing to stop that and only work on things prescribed by a qualified professional.

Updated 07/15/2022

Think about my round more, I think I realized what happened. I think I made my stance too wide causing fat hits and no hip turn. I also think I was adjusting the openness of my club face while gripped instead of opening the face then gripping. When I go out again I’ll focus on those two things and see if that helps my striking. With shorter days and a toddler, will be short 9 hole rounds. 

My Reviews:

Got out on the range to relieve some stress. Struck the ball much better and videoed some swings. I am starting to get swaying again but nothing I can’t work on with drills. Also realized my ball seems straight but is actually starting left of target. Need some more planemate work to break the OTT. Also something about a fall late range session. So peaceful. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/gFxfnzu

My Reviews:

35 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Got out on the range to relieve some stress. Struck the ball much better and videoed some swings. I am starting to get swaying again but nothing I can’t work on with drills. Also realized my ball seems straight but is actually starting left of target. Need some more planemate work to break the OTT. Also something about a fall late range session. So peaceful. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/gFxfnzu

Have you tried lessons with a high-quality instructor?

I have done some lessons with mediocre instructors and that never worked out for me. But based on some recent online lessons with a few really good instructors, i learned something new. I thought I was classic OTT, that I steepen the shaft on the downswing and that is why i am steep and OTT. But it turns out i was told that I have a fairly unique case of OTT, i actually make a shallowing movement in transition, but end up OTT because of lack of hand depth and flying elbow. 

That is a long winded way to say that I had the wrong self-diagnosis, so I was working on some of the wrong things to fix my issues.

Updated 07/15/2022

11 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Have you tried lessons with a high-quality instructor?

I have done some lessons with mediocre instructors and that never worked out for me. But based on some recent online lessons with a few really good instructors, i learned something new. I thought I was classic OTT, that I steepen the shaft on the downswing and that is why i am steep and OTT. But it turns out i was told that I have a fairly unique case of OTT, i actually make a shallowing movement in transition, but end up OTT because of lack of hand depth and flying elbow. 

That is a long winded way to say that I had the wrong self-diagnosis, so I was working on some of the wrong things to fix my issues.

Actually no I haven’t yet. Maybe I can take the videos I made and use the app you just reviewed. I did try 18Birdies AI trial and that seemed to help but wasn’t personal. Thanks for the advice. Lessons are likely in my future. 

My Reviews:

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

Actually no I haven’t yet. Maybe I can take the videos I made and use the app you just reviewed. I did try 18Birdies AI trial and that seemed to help but wasn’t personal. Thanks for the advice. Lessons are likely in my future. 

Sounds good, let me know if you want any thoughts on the online instructors that i have tried and their styles. If not, thats cool. The Skillest app has reviews and sample lessons so that helps get an idea as well.

Updated 07/15/2022

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Sounds good, let me know if you want any thoughts on the online instructors that i have tried and their styles. If not, thats cool. The Skillest app has reviews and sample lessons so that helps get an idea as well.

Cool. Thanks. I checked out Alex’s page. How is he? If someone can give me drills that I can do in my home, that would be helpful. I also like the idea that online lessons can get better feed back since they can take their time to analyze. Is that your opinion as well so far?

My Reviews: