TESTERS WANTED! ×

Broke 100, now bring on 90

Minimizing bad tee shots is a priority for everyone! I played in an event with a friend that is a really good golfer (Played in US Senior Open, US Senior Am). I asked him how he keeps distracting thoughts from creeping in while over the ball. He said “go through your routine, and if something pops up, back away and go through it again!”  I asked what happens when it pops up again. He said “then your routine isn’t good. Go practice your full routine at the range until things don’t pop up!”  

This was some of the best advice that helped me get from a 4 to a + handicap  I think it applies to everyone though. Having a good preshot routine to help focus you visuals and feels is important and will help lower scores for sure. 

It will help minimize bad tee shots that happen when you’re not committed or focused on your shot. 

TM Tour Sim2 8.5 Ventus Blue 75x

Srixon ZX7 (4-PW) DG Tour Issue x100

2 hours ago, Erjohn said:

Minimizing bad tee shots is a priority for everyone! I played in an event with a friend that is a really good golfer (Played in US Senior Open, US Senior Am). I asked him how he keeps distracting thoughts from creeping in while over the ball. He said “go through your routine, and if something pops up, back away and go through it again!”  I asked what happens when it pops up again. He said “then your routine isn’t good. Go practice your full routine at the range until things don’t pop up!”  

This was some of the best advice that helped me get from a 4 to a + handicap  I think it applies to everyone though. Having a good preshot routine to help focus you visuals and feels is important and will help lower scores for sure. 

It will help minimize bad tee shots that happen when you’re not committed or focused on your shot. 

Thanks and totally agree. Of lately I have been real close in my two weekly nines, mostly from keeping ball in play. This week was a fall back as I lost several. Just chalking it up to one of those weeks and working on swing work. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Changed my focus today on the course. I am currently going through some swing changes of a less inside takeaway, and then arms come down in transition and lead knee comes out and turns in downswing. Those are targets. Been on this for about 6 weeks. Last week in my two nines, I tried to get that swing into my round and it was a disaster. Today, I focused on just playing golf and not golf swing and played ten strokes better than last week. I am going to continue playing that way and letting my swing changes naturally come into my game.

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

On 8/8/2023 at 9:53 AM, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Changed my focus today on the course. I am currently going through some swing changes of a less inside takeaway, and then arms come down in transition and lead knee comes out and turns in downswing. Those are targets. Been on this for about 6 weeks. Last week in my two nines, I tried to get that swing into my round and it was a disaster. Today, I focused on just playing golf and not golf swing and played ten strokes better than last week. I am going to continue playing that way and letting my swing changes naturally come into my game.

Can you describe your pre-shot routine and/or current swing thought (if you have one) from the time you address the ball until impact? 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

2 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Can you describe your pre-shot routine and/or current swing thought (if you have one) from the time you address the ball until impact? 

So I will take 2-3 practice swings with the feel I am working on. Then I will stand behind the ball, set my grip and pick my target. I will align to target and then go to setup. A few waggles and then a thought of hit a nail through the ball to the right and go

My Reviews:

On 8/8/2023 at 8:53 AM, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Bingo!  Just play.  Focus should be on the lie at hand, the target and the choices you make.  Swing changes will come when they become comfortable and should not be forced.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 4 weeks later...

My Reviews:

On 7/11/2023 at 9:37 AM, BMart519 said:

Before every round drop a ball at 20' 30' 45' and 60' from the hole (or a tee you put in ground) on putting green and hit lags from these distances. You should setup 4 going uphill and 4 downhill to try and learn the green speed for the day and difference between up and down. If you develop some benchmarks about the length of backswing for each of these distances it should help your speed control on the course if you pace off your long putts. 

If you are rushed for time, the temptation can be to hit some drives and irons to see your shot shape for the day and loosen up. But you are dropping anywhere from 4-6 strokes putting PER 9. You aren't going to find 8+ strokes on the range pre-round, but it is helpful if you've done some putting before your first putt of the day is a 6 footer to save a par or a 40+ foot lag. This is an area you need to accumulate time and reps on over the season regardless since you do swing work at home or can go to the range. 

Learning aimpoint would probably help. You can also use aimpoint to feel the amount uphill or down the putt is and estimate how much longer or shorter that will make the putt play vs a flat putt. Distance control looks like a big problem but first putt distance would also be helpful info to compare with the numbers above. Of those 2nd putts you would only be expected to make 2-3 of 8 as an amateur. Maybe 4 on a good day...

One of the common (but few) complaints about the DF putter I have read is with distance control. With this amount of 3 putts, you may want to consider prioritizing a putter that gives you the best speed control. This is usually achieved through weighting (head/grip) and balance point of the putter. 

Btw, just wanted to state this has been the most helpful putting tip anyone gave me. I have a ton more confidence now. 

My Reviews:

4 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Btw, just wanted to state this has been the most helpful putting tip anyone gave me. I have a ton more confidence now. 

Appreciate it. The 20/30/45/60 drill is so engrained as my warmup now that it is frustrating when the practice green is crowded or too small to hit the 60 footers as I will inevitably have a few from deep since I hit a higher amount of GIR for my index. Or if for whatever reason I am rushing or want to skip it, I usually end up regretting it. You encounter these distances so often while playing that having the feels or benchmarks in your backswing length will automatically give you confidence over time. 

I used 20-30-40-50 and sometimes 60 but wanted to reduce it to 4 balls as I set them all up in a line at one time and didn't want to carry so many. So I decided to split the distance as you get farther away because I often get 60 footers and need that benchmark. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• 3 weeks later...

Had an interesting discussion with my coach after I set him a picture of my arm position. Of lately I have been struggling hooking my driver and now realize it could be coming down to my arm position. In the image I sent him he said he would like it a little higher but was fine if I was playing a draw. If I wanted to play a fade go even higher up. My mind is now kinda blown and I really want to get to the range and tinker with those feels.

IMG_8641.png

My Reviews:

• 2 weeks later...

minus a bad putting day, I can see the fruits of my hard work coming together. This is my SG for the year based off a 10 handicap (Mind you I usually post my SG comparisons to 20 handicaps).Now, lets see how October holds (today's nine is the only entry there) and what I can retain once the offseason starts. Very happy were my game is trending

image.png.06c48c99ac04dc884bbe822f7956194f.png

My Reviews:

• 2 months later...

Haven’t posted in a while. Going through some personal discovery so trying to avoid some obsessive tendencies I have. 

Swing work going well I think. However I hit a physical setback. Strained my Achilles almost three weeks ago playing basketball. Seemed ok but started flailing up on Xmas Eve. Spoke to a Dr. need to take things easy for two weeks and reevaluate. No leg lifts at the gym and likely no swing work as he said to avoid activities that get me up on my toes (this is my lead foot I hurt and my heel does raise up in the backswing). Will have to see where I am at in two weeks time. 

happy holidays all!

My Reviews:

2 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Haven’t posted in a while. Going through some personal discovery so trying to avoid some obsessive tendencies I have. 

Swing work going well I think. However I hit a physical setback. Strained my Achilles almost three weeks ago playing basketball. Seemed ok but started flailing up on Xmas Eve. Spoke to a Dr. need to take things easy for two weeks and reevaluate. No leg lifts at the gym and likely no swing work as he said to avoid activities that get me up on my toes (this is my lead foot I hurt and my heel does raise up in the backswing). Will have to see where I am at in two weeks time. 

happy holidays all!

Boy do I relate to this post!!

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

• 1 month later...

Play a tee forward.  I am not sure where you tee from, but I experimented with it this past season.  I have a regular golfing buddy that I play with.  We would get out 2 to 3 times per week until he got a new job and my wife and I opened a 2nd store.  We played form the whites since he was a 8 hdc and i was a 28 at the time.

My buddy started his new job and I started playing by myself.  I chose to move up to the senior tees until i could consistently break 100.  I shot 94, 89, and 84 from the seniors. moved back to whites, and stay right at around 101-104 depending on the course.  

tee it forward and learn what it feels like to score better and better things will happen.

Driver: Callaway Epic Speed 9* set to 11* w/ draw bias  Hzrdus Smoke 60g 6.5

Fariway woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3 Wood Project X Cypher Fifty 5.0

Hybrids: Callaway Mavrik 3H Project X Catalyst 65g 5.5

Irons: Callaway Mavrik Max 5I-GW & X20 SW KBS R80

Putter: Odyessey Stroke Lab 1 blade putter

Ball: Callaway ERC Soft fade 360

Bag: Maxfli white stand bag

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 2:50 PM, Padavich09 said:

Play a tee forward.  I am not sure where you tee from, but I experimented with it this past season.  I have a regular golfing buddy that I play with.  We would get out 2 to 3 times per week until he got a new job and my wife and I opened a 2nd store.  We played form the whites since he was a 8 hdc and i was a 28 at the time.

My buddy started his new job and I started playing by myself.  I chose to move up to the senior tees until i could consistently break 100.  I shot 94, 89, and 84 from the seniors. moved back to whites, and stay right at around 101-104 depending on the course.  

tee it forward and learn what it feels like to score better and better things will happen.

Likely will do to start the season as I am not too confident with the swing changes I’ve made this offseason. Need to break them in on the course. I play from the tips as is recommended on my home course due to how far I drive the ball. Thanks for the suggestion 

My Reviews:

On 2/6/2024 at 5:50 PM, Padavich09 said:

I am definitely going to do this the next time I play. I struggle with the driver- typically hitting right around 200. One friend usually hits 280-300. We usually play intermediate tees. He could play the longest, but I would prefer to be more forward. I'm hoping to get out next week. He has already said he's going to be out of state. I'm going to play tees that make the course around 5,000 yards total for me. That should defintely help my score.

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

7 hours ago, VernL4 said:

I am definitely going to do this the next time I play. I struggle with the driver- typically hitting right around 200. One friend usually hits 280-300. We usually play intermediate tees. He could play the longest, but I would prefer to be more forward. I'm hoping to get out next week. He has already said he's going to be out of state. I'm going to play tees that make the course around 5,000 yards total for me. That should defintely help my score.

Its for sure does good for the mental aspect. It feel amazing breaking 100 and 90 in the same round. Lol but when you do move back a tee, just remeber, its not all gonna be roses, so dont let it discourage you.

10 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Likely will do to start the season as I am not too confident with the swing changes I’ve made this offseason. Need to break them in on the course. I play from the tips as is recommended on my home course due to how far I drive the ball. Thanks for the suggestion 

How do you shoot from the tips? 

16 minutes ago, Padavich09 said:

How do you shoot from the tips? 

anywhere from 44-52 on nine holes. (I usually am only able to play nine holes at a time). Closest I came was a combined 92 to breaking 90.

My Reviews: