Our Sponsors

Played a practice round on the short course today. Kept score on Arccos with my original ball but still hit several. Course was quiet so utilized it to practice my game. The pro I worked with on the trackman told me the best practice comes on the course. Hit some awesome shots incorporating some new swing tips (open face at address, weaker right hand and slight strong left grip and think left parallel back*) and got to take extra shots with the testing wedges and work on some chip and runs. Overall a great practice session. 

*left parallel back was my tip to myself

6EE5DB92-2223-44B0-92C7-8532660F0615.jpeg

180C7C30-D7D9-42A5-896B-1E3910C27970.jpeg

9i from 130 hit as a provisional 

0F4F4729-1445-4794-9472-8512AAAF6A04.jpeg

6i from 167 out uphill

0151366E-87DA-4F4F-BDFB-145AE73A7375.jpeg

9i to green par 3

B14EC207-3BCC-43E0-83FA-292230AF99DA.jpeg

9735825A-5CCC-4D1D-B866-6FF61A468D83.png

Edited by rbsiedsc
  • Like 3

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff :Fuji:Pro Black 63 

3W: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 UPRT or PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black S 2.5* upright

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

4-AW: PXG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges  54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up  **Testing :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid**

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: :Snell:or KSigs or :taylormade-small: TP5 pix 2.0

:Arccos:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Set the goal at 105. Then 104, etc.  continue working on your swing, and management.  Other people will suggest lessons, but those are pricey and maybe you don’t have time.     Go out without a

First, playing only 5 times in 3 months doesn't help to lower your index.  Hopefully, you are putting in practice time between these rounds.   If your swing change has your iron play better, putt

I understand not having time!!  I'm retired now so I have lots of time, but I traveled a lot when I worked... two week trips overseas.  I wish I had access to the online stuff back then!! Monte's

Posted Images

@Kenny B, golf sidekick stole your idea

• Like 1

3W: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 UPRT or PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black S 2.5* upright

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

Wedges  54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up  **Testing :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid**

On 11/13/2020 at 10:12 PM, rbsiedsc said:

Cool. Thanks. I checked out Alex’s page. How is he? If someone can give me drills that I can do in my home, that would be helpful. I also like the idea that online lessons can get better feed back since they can take their time to analyze. Is that your opinion as well so far?

Alex is great. He believes that the fundamentals are critical. While in my first lesson, he did provide me with details of what I am doing incorrectly during my swing, the first items he has me working on are grip, posture, feet, and other setup items. He wanted me to work on those and send him videos of that first. Until those are correct, he didn't have me moving on to anything else. 

Once I was able to demonstrate the setup was ok, I am now moving on to how the arms move in the backswing.

• Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

23 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Alex is great. He believes that the fundamentals are critical. While in my first lesson, he did provide me with details of what I am doing incorrectly during my swing, the first items he has me working on are grip, posture, feet, and other setup items. He wanted me to work on those and send him videos of that first. Until those are correct, he didn't have me moving on to anything else. 

Once I was able to demonstrate the setup was ok, I am now moving on to how the arms move in the backswing.

Thanks for that info. If my two 9 hole rounds this week are still a struggle, I will try to use the Skillest app and reach out to Alex. If I hit my clubs like I know I can from yesterday's practice, I may hold off.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

@Kenny B, golf sidekick stole your idea

It wasn't my idea; it's been around for a long time.  I just brought it up again.  He's right though...  never keep track of your score while playing.  Many a round has been ruined when on the #18 tee, you know that "all I have to do is just make a bogey..."  We just can't seem to NOT screw up.  lol

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

image.png.940131ebb72d94f1bc07ab1a51448b26.png

Played a slow paced nine this evening. Things started clicking with the irons and driver (I had only one sky ball, the rest found the fairway, albeit with not the best distance on some) after ingraining the tips the pro gave me. In fact, my aim killed me somewhat as I was aimed slightly right expecting my ball to draw more than it normally would. It actually was more a soft draw to straight (one ball i did hit faded but would have been kept in play had I been aimed properly and my contact was crisper as the provisional i hit actually flew the green, which i didn't expect to happen.)

What killed me today was my short-game wedge play. I love the Cleveland's I am testing, I am just not to the skill level to get them to a spot to help me on the course (bump and runs would help me more often than not). My putting also let me down, but I will let that slide as I didn't have time to hit the putting green before my round. I also was not playing to score well, as I wanted to really focus on the wedges for the testing. I also was trying to have fun and tried to go for the green in two on a par 5. Hybrid I aimed to draw and it faded on me OB. Had the distance to the green right, so lesson learned now.

Overall, I see this as a net positive for my game. I think getting these pieces together, and then putting in some effort on putting and short game in the offseason will really get me to where I need to go. Will update this with a couple pictures from the round.

Only GIR of the day, beautiful 8i from 155 out

image.png.1dccc7565f530e425edfbfe7cbd29c3c.png

99A9F057-039C-4473-B343-48D38C2771EF.jpeg

image.png.6169e5dc51cd7dd1dcb142eb9d84df9f.png

Hole 9 with the fog rolling in

1CF96BBD-CFE6-419E-AE2E-92339C25F67B.jpeg

image.png.5e9c20a6d6fb960eff244c0744315954.png

Edited by rbsiedsc
pictures
  • Like 1

So I did the math. 36 of my 58 strokes were either putting or wedges close to the green. Definitely an area I need to fix. Luckily the putting can be done in house. Might get better with bump and runs for chips.  Overall more short game practice needed. 

Edited by rbsiedsc
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

image.png.940131ebb72d94f1bc07ab1a51448b26.png

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

So I did the math. 36 of my 58 strokes were either putting or wedges close to the green. Definitely an area I need to fix. Luckily the putting can be done in house. Might get better with bump and runs for chips.  Overall more short game practice needed. 

You mention putting and there are a couple of areas I see.  The two big ones that stand out are the 3 putt from 9 feet and 2 putt from 3 feet.  Have to figure out how to stop those other than that putting doesn't look horrible.  

Don't know where you were with the approach shots,  but definitely need to work on the approach.  you say short game; but your first putt lengths don't look too bad.   The big numbers are killing you;  but not sure where all your shots are going to really see where your problem lies. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’d have to go back on those distances. Don’t seem right and I didn’t do a good job marking the pin

Definitely not 46’ from pin on three, see picture above

Edited by rbsiedsc

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

I’d have to go back on those distances. Don’t seem right and I didn’t do a good job marking the pin

Definitely not 46’ from pin on three, see picture above

If you truly want to to assess your game,  you need to make sure to get those distances captured accurately. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

49 minutes ago, cnosil said:

If you truly want to to assess your game,  you need to make sure to get those distances captured accurately. 

I agree. I have updated now with proper pin placement. Will post update later 

Another epiphany. When I was chipping better back in the day I remember being in an open stance, feet together. I remember being able to get the ball much closer. I went away from that thinking my form was wrong. Will go back to what has worked for me in the past. I feel silly for tinkering something that was never a problem. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Another epiphany. When I was chipping better back in the day I remember being in an open stance, feet together. I remember being able to get the ball much closer. I went away from that thinking my form was wrong. Will go back to what has worked for me in the past. I feel silly for tinkering something that was never a problem. 

I love a good epiphany!  You should do well with that setup.  I do think the open stance is optional, but it is the normal setup that's taught.  I do better square to the target line.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I love a good epiphany!  You should do well with that setup.  I do think the open stance is optional, but it is the normal setup that's taught.  I do better square to the target line.

Chipping switch helped today. Nice landing control with roll do get everything within 5-10 ft. 

• Like 1

Today coulda been the day. Played nine holes and even with a tiger ten, I still almost played bogey golf. New shorter driver shaft worked well. Started leaving it open, hence the blowup on 9. 

D5A94D3A-C27C-4E14-9B41-41662F655FB5.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks like it’s going to happen anytime now! Awesome 9holes today. 

• Like 1

TS3 8.5 Ventus Blue 7x or ZF 60TX

Ping G410 17 degree Ventus Blue 9x

Callaway UT 21 bent to 19 KBS Proto 105X

T100S 1 degree weak 4-PW Project X 7.0

SM8 50 Project X 6.5 

SM7 54 Project X 6.5 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60 Project X 6.5

Piretti Cottonwood II or Scotty Newport 2 w/ Stability Shaft

Srixon XV

7 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Today coulda been the day. Played nine holes and even with a tiger ten, I still almost played bogey golf. New shorter driver shaft worked well. Started leaving it open, hence the blowup on 9. 

D5A94D3A-C27C-4E14-9B41-41662F655FB5.jpeg

Awesome round. How's the swing? The problem I have run into is that my high handicapper swing has limited my improvement. I could be playing well one round and then look like I have not played golf before the next round. My swing essentially left little room for error. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

2 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Awesome round. How's the swing? The problem I have run into is that my high handicapper swing has limited my improvement. I could be playing well one round and then look like I have not played golf before the next round. My swing essentially left little room for error. 

The swing was ok. I was at least able to get into good position for some wedges. Oddly enough it wasn’t as good as last week. My short game saved me. 

overall the biggest thing that has helped is commit to a shot and be 100% sure you can hit it. Avoids unnecessary heroics. Although my breakdown hole was driver to water, then farted 8 into water and then pW that almost cleared a tree. Those killed me that hole but I limited them as a whole during the round. 

Edited by rbsiedsc
  • Like 1