Salted Smart Insole

GolfSpy MPR

1 minute ago, IDontGiveAchuck said:

This is good stuff.  Is that a church you're in?

Yep. I pastor a small church in Michigan. Having the building to my self during the week has some perks.

• Like 4

:titelist-small: TS3
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:callaway-small: XR Pro 20°, Project X 75 Black HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX Iron-Wood 22°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 85g
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 6–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0
:taylormade-small: TP5x

Full WITB with pictures

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Yep. I pastor a small church in Michigan. Having the building to my self during the week has some perks.

I can appreciate that.  Growing up, my father was a minister for the Nazarene church in the Ohio/Pennsylvania area.  I used to practice my soccer dribbling in the empty church between the pews.

• Like 1

Just tap it in.  Lil' taparoo.

:honma: TW747 460 10.5° Vizard stiff

:adams-small: 4 Hybrid

:Sub70: 699 5-Aw; KBS Tour-V 90 Stiff

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 58°

:taylormade-small: Spider Interactive

4 minutes ago, IDontGiveAchuck said:

I can appreciate that.  Growing up, my father was a minister for the Nazarene church in the Ohio/Pennsylvania area.  I used to practice my soccer dribbling in the empty church between the pews.

My son and I have done a lot of putting down the center aisle. I can attribute Kirke's touch from 40' to our church aisle length:

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Full WITB with pictures

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

My son and I have done a lot of putting down the center aisle. I can attribute Kirke's touch from 40' to our church aisle length:

That is a good looking stroke.  Wish I had that touch.

• Like 2

Just tap it in.  Lil' taparoo.

:honma: TW747 460 10.5° Vizard stiff

:adams-small: 4 Hybrid

:Sub70: 699 5-Aw; KBS Tour-V 90 Stiff

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 58°

:taylormade-small: Spider Interactive

3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Total throwaway post, just for fun: my daughter Kate and Kirke were with me in the office this morning (I help with their homeshooling; teaching them to read biblical Greek!), and they wanted a version of the unboxing in which they could make cameos:

Did you take pressure readings of each whack? Awesome video @GolfSpy MPR, this is one of the coolest golf gadgets ( for lack of a better term) I've seen. 

• Haha 1

Yep, this is cool. So after you take a swing, you can record an analysis of the swing data. Shield your eyes, folks: this isn't pretty:

There's also a page that neatly summarizes the main data points, including the swing tempo data (you mark the address position, top of the swing, and impact position manually):

Screenshot_20201021-112111_SALTED GOLF.jpg

I think I'm going to try doing some SuperSpeed-esque step drills to experiment with getting my weight shifted forward earlier. Any other drills suggestions?

EDIT: Just tried my first "step swing" with the insoles. It moved the weight ratio at impact to very close to 70/30, though it's still a fraction late.

• Like 6

Full WITB with pictures

In full geek mode, great stuff there and it seems to be providing relevant info. No comes the hard part...making changes.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2,

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Any other drills suggestions?

Great stuff!

The Gary Player Drill has always been a popular one for weight transfer.  I'm not in a position to go find and post a YouTube link right now, but it's basically walking after your shot, including purposefully stepping through with your right foot...

• Like 1

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Great stuff!

The Gary Player Drill has always been a popular one for weight transfer.  I'm not in a position to go find and post a YouTube link right now, but it's basically walking after your shot, including purposefully stepping through with your right foot...

Great drill!  Here is one example of the drill:

There is a link in the description of the video to a clinic Gary Player did, which is fun to see.  

The drill part starts at 2:40 in the video.  

• Love 1

Throwing a slam ball (medicine ball) is a great way to feel the weight shift/transfer.  I have an eight pound ball and a twenty pound ball.  I set up sideways to a wall three or four feet away and take my golf stance.  I grip the ball on the sides--basically positioned the same as when I grip the club.  I then throw the ball, hopefully hitting the spot, and catch the ball when it bounces back.   

I can get by with a less than ideal shift with the 8 pound ball.  But to toss the 20 pound ball, I have to get to the left side.  I try to throw it easy and hard, making the same movement.  

Doing it left and right handed helps balance out the body as well.

A variation on the above is to throw the ball down the line as far as possible.  By trying to throw it further and further, you learn where your power comes from.    

So I think I’ve learned something, but I’d love some feedback from others on this.

I’ve been working on the feel of shifting my weight to my front foot. What I’ve found is this: it is orders of magnitude easier to shift to my lead foot with a slightly closed stance. It is somewhat harder to do with a square stance, and (for me) nearly impossible to do so while retaining any kind of balance with an open stance.

Can you all test this and see if you find this same thing? I’m not saying you need to have the pressure insoles. And I’m not even talking about a full swing. Take a stance, turn and load into your trail foot, and then try to move your pressure to your lead foot with difference stances. Let me know if you also experience what I’ve described.

• Like 1

Full WITB with pictures

Can you all test this and see if you find this same thing? I’m not saying you need to have the pressure insoles. And I’m not even talking about a full swing. Take a stance, turn and load into your trail foot, and then try to move your pressure to your lead foot with difference stances. Let me know if you also experience what I’ve described.

No problems for me with any of those.

There is a difference between weight and pressure. It sounds like you are moving weight to get the pressure to move. My instructor gave me a drill which is why I built a balance board. He calls it Elvis feet. Basically you get on the board and basically stay centered with upper body but turn the hips and bend/straighten the legs to shift the pressure front and back to rock the board back and forth.

If you move weight to the back it is hard to get your weight back to the front. My problem was I was getting weight past my right and then couldn’t get it back left.

If I tried what you asked and move my weight outside I had to have a closed stance to not lose

Balance even doing in slow Motion.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2,

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just did my first practice with the insoles for putting. One of the useful settings in the app is customizing the imbalance levels at which the insoles vibrate and the phone beeps; for full swings, you want to hit certain imbalances during the swing. By contrast, with putting, your goal (I presume) is to stay within the tolerances that you establish, to ensure that you're being as stable as possible during the stroke.

I practiced for a while doing this. Keeping left-right balance was pretty easy; I told it to tell me if either foot ever got to 55% of the pressure, and on a putting stroke, that never happened.

I had to spend more time tweaking the heel-toe settings. I tend to rest my weight very much in my heels while putting. I forced myself to move a bit more even (not close to center, though). It definitely took a bit of effort; I need to explore this more. I don't want to make a change merely for the sake of doing so or for the sake of symmetry with numbers. But my guess is that forcing myself to put in a position that takes a little bit of balance work will strengthen my balance a bit, so that when I'm standing over actual putts, I'll be that much more stable.

• Like 2

Full WITB with pictures

Maybe somebody answered this already but does this just measure Weight Shift or does it also have some way of measuring vertical force/pressure?

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpgBlack ER2 (Finish Courtesy of NorCal Putters) 

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  Under Armour Strikeskin Tour

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pair August. So I have had this for a while and use then frequently, even putting with Ex Putt.

After watching allot of Athletic Motion Golf, videos what they use a shetic shift board. So I made a couple DIY shift boards a couple of years ago and now alternate between ¾ swings on the shift board and then replicate it with smart soles in practice mode. L to L drill type stuff.

DIY shift board platform 12 by 24 and a 12 inch by ½ thick 1.5 wide piece screwed into the bottom middle of the platform. $5 bucks .est

With the shift board you want to really hear it hitting the ground going back and then in just before or no later then transition coming through, So at the top of the swing your starting or already re-centered 50/50/.

Watched allot of boditrak videos and swing catalyst videos and so on. Golf Zen Mechanic has some very good videos on “foot mechanics”.

Golf Zen Mechanic (A DIY Shift Board in background)

https://www.facebook.com/zengolfmechanic/videos/1178632832473418

Boditrak Instcrutor using Smart Soles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqkJOqyaQXc

I have used most of the other drills, a shift board seemed a faster way to learn. Boditrak basically is saying that there is --- much more left leg force and much earlier in PGA Tour players than amateurs consistently in the data. AMG says its a timing not a strength or physical issue, accross varitions of golf swings.

Another example was I saw some years ago, they asked long driving competitors if they could only do one exercise what would it be? Ended up being one legged squats (left leg) or single (left leg) presses on a machine. My example and not a very good one is its akin to kick starting a motorcycle only with the left leg its not just a shift and turn.  

The bottom line its much more force then you would otherwise think or feel and earlier then you think or feel that and you pick up with smart soles. Even in putting what I thought was perfect set up was a little to much weight in the heels.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

One update: I attempted to use the insoles today and the left one seems utterly unresponsive. I've already contacted customer service; I'll keep this thread updated as it unfolds.

• Like 3

Full WITB with pictures

On 3/10/2021 at 3:04 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

One update: I attempted to use the insoles today and the left one seems utterly unresponsive. I've already contacted customer service; I'll keep this thread updated as it unfolds.

First update: after a bit over 24 hours, Salted got back to me asking for more details about the problem I'm having. I recorded a video for them (which they asked for) showing that the left insole is entirely unresponsive.

Obviously, I'm hoping for either 1) some trick that would revive the insole or 2) a free replacement. Especially now that the price is higher than when I bought mine, there is simply no excuse for the insole to have died within six months of purchase.

• Like 2

Full WITB with pictures

Second update: customer service sent me a video about a technique for resetting the insoles (I didn't know that before), but unfortunately, that did not revive the left one. In the same email, they said that if that did not work, they would send a replacement. I just replied with my address and will post one more update when the replacement arrives. All told. I'm pleased with their customer service here. They took reasonable steps to make sure there was a problem, and when that was obvious, agreed to send a replacement.

• Like 2

Full WITB with pictures