Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Salted Smart Insole

GolfSpy MPR

So I think I’ve learned something, but I’d love some feedback from others on this.

I’ve been working on the feel of shifting my weight to my front foot. What I’ve found is this: it is orders of magnitude easier to shift to my lead foot with a slightly closed stance. It is somewhat harder to do with a square stance, and (for me) nearly impossible to do so while retaining any kind of balance with an open stance.

Can you all test this and see if you find this same thing? I’m not saying you need to have the pressure insoles. And I’m not even talking about a full swing. Take a stance, turn and load into your trail foot, and then try to move your pressure to your lead foot with difference stances. Let me know if you also experience what I’ve described.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Can you all test this and see if you find this same thing? I’m not saying you need to have the pressure insoles. And I’m not even talking about a full swing. Take a stance, turn and load into your trail foot, and then try to move your pressure to your lead foot with difference stances. Let me know if you also experience what I’ve described.

No problems for me with any of those.

There is a difference between weight and pressure. It sounds like you are moving weight to get the pressure to move. My instructor gave me a drill which is why I built a balance board. He calls it Elvis feet. Basically you get on the board and basically stay centered with upper body but turn the hips and bend/straighten the legs to shift the pressure front and back to rock the board back and forth.

If you move weight to the back it is hard to get your weight back to the front. My problem was I was getting weight past my right and then couldn’t get it back left.

If I tried what you asked and move my weight outside I had to have a closed stance to not lose

Balance even doing in slow Motion.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just did my first practice with the insoles for putting. One of the useful settings in the app is customizing the imbalance levels at which the insoles vibrate and the phone beeps; for full swings, you want to hit certain imbalances during the swing. By contrast, with putting, your goal (I presume) is to stay within the tolerances that you establish, to ensure that you're being as stable as possible during the stroke.

I practiced for a while doing this. Keeping left-right balance was pretty easy; I told it to tell me if either foot ever got to 55% of the pressure, and on a putting stroke, that never happened.

I had to spend more time tweaking the heel-toe settings. I tend to rest my weight very much in my heels while putting. I forced myself to move a bit more even (not close to center, though). It definitely took a bit of effort; I need to explore this more. I don't want to make a change merely for the sake of doing so or for the sake of symmetry with numbers. But my guess is that forcing myself to put in a position that takes a little bit of balance work will strengthen my balance a bit, so that when I'm standing over actual putts, I'll be that much more stable.

Full WITB with pictures

Maybe somebody answered this already but does this just measure Weight Shift or does it also have some way of measuring vertical force/pressure?

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pair August. So I have had this for a while and use then frequently, even putting with Ex Putt.

After watching allot of Athletic Motion Golf, videos what they use a shetic shift board. So I made a couple DIY shift boards a couple of years ago and now alternate between ¾ swings on the shift board and then replicate it with smart soles in practice mode. L to L drill type stuff.

DIY shift board platform 12 by 24 and a 12 inch by ½ thick 1.5 wide piece screwed into the bottom middle of the platform. $5 bucks .est

With the shift board you want to really hear it hitting the ground going back and then in just before or no later then transition coming through, So at the top of the swing your starting or already re-centered 50/50/.

Watched allot of boditrak videos and swing catalyst videos and so on. Golf Zen Mechanic has some very good videos on “foot mechanics”.

Golf Zen Mechanic (A DIY Shift Board in background)

https://www.facebook.com/zengolfmechanic/videos/1178632832473418

Boditrak Instcrutor using Smart Soles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqkJOqyaQXc

I have used most of the other drills, a shift board seemed a faster way to learn. Boditrak basically is saying that there is --- much more left leg force and much earlier in PGA Tour players than amateurs consistently in the data. AMG says its a timing not a strength or physical issue, accross varitions of golf swings.

Another example was I saw some years ago, they asked long driving competitors if they could only do one exercise what would it be? Ended up being one legged squats (left leg) or single (left leg) presses on a machine. My example and not a very good one is its akin to kick starting a motorcycle only with the left leg its not just a shift and turn.  

The bottom line its much more force then you would otherwise think or feel and earlier then you think or feel that and you pick up with smart soles. Even in putting what I thought was perfect set up was a little to much weight in the heels.

• 4 months later...

One update: I attempted to use the insoles today and the left one seems utterly unresponsive. I've already contacted customer service; I'll keep this thread updated as it unfolds.

Full WITB with pictures

On 3/10/2021 at 3:04 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

One update: I attempted to use the insoles today and the left one seems utterly unresponsive. I've already contacted customer service; I'll keep this thread updated as it unfolds.

First update: after a bit over 24 hours, Salted got back to me asking for more details about the problem I'm having. I recorded a video for them (which they asked for) showing that the left insole is entirely unresponsive.

Obviously, I'm hoping for either 1) some trick that would revive the insole or 2) a free replacement. Especially now that the price is higher than when I bought mine, there is simply no excuse for the insole to have died within six months of purchase.

Full WITB with pictures

Second update: customer service sent me a video about a technique for resetting the insoles (I didn't know that before), but unfortunately, that did not revive the left one. In the same email, they said that if that did not work, they would send a replacement. I just replied with my address and will post one more update when the replacement arrives. All told. I'm pleased with their customer service here. They took reasonable steps to make sure there was a problem, and when that was obvious, agreed to send a replacement.

Full WITB with pictures

I’m late to this party but I rarely think about my feet and MAN I should be doing more of it. Not just the weight shifting (which I DO need) but also the heel to toe shifts. I might end up snagging a pair. 

:titleist-small: TS3 9° Driver with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:titelist-small: TSi3 15° Fairway with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:srixon-small: ZX 2 iron

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54°, 60° Full Face

:taylormade-small: Spider SR Single Bend

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:ping-small: Hoofer

:918457628_PrecisionPro:R1 Rangefinder

On 3/17/2021 at 11:10 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Second update: customer service sent me a video about a technique for resetting the insoles (I didn't know that before), but unfortunately, that did not revive the left one. In the same email, they said that if that did not work, they would send a replacement. I just replied with my address and will post one more update when the replacement arrives. All told. I'm pleased with their customer service here. They took reasonable steps to make sure there was a problem, and when that was obvious, agreed to send a replacement.

I believe they are a company based out of South Korea. Korean consumer companies live and die by customer service so not a surprise that they are taking care of you. 

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

Great news! Yesterday, I received my insoles. SALTED shipped them from South Korea on March 22 and they arrived in my mailbox on March 25. That is amazing that it's even possible. Kudos to them for excellent support.

Just this afternoon, I unboxed the new pair and installed them in the TRUE Linkswear shoes I keep in my office for just this purpose. Both paired with the phone immediately.

Decided that they needed to be tested. One feature that I like is that you can set up your phone for video and then tell it to record three swings in a way. It will give you audio prompts for each swing. Then (as I think I posted here before), you can go into analysis mode, fine tune the address | top of the backswing | impact | finish frames of the video. It will then allow you to easily, within the app, screen capture analysis with voice for exporting. That is a really slick feature, especially if you're working with a coach online.

I was really pleased with what I saw here. I have been using these insoles on and off, but not super regularly. When I first got my original pair, my pressure on my lead foot at impact was about 60-65%. Today, I was up over 80%, which is where it should be. That was encouraging.

Side note: I've also found that these insoles are very helpful for me with my putting. On the app, you can go into practice mode and tweak the points at which the insoles will buzz and the phone will beep angrily at you. I set those tolerances very tight for putting, and work on making a stroke in which I have virtually no lower body movement or pressure shifting at all. Again, for me, I'm finding that that results in a much more consistent roll on my intended line.

Full WITB with pictures

• 6 months later...

After the latest MGS podcast where Harry was raving about the latest app update and the soles, I decided to get a pair. They are $145 right now on Amazon with next day Prime delivery so I’ll be trying them out very soon. I have a real problem with weight transfer, shanks, over the top pull slice, and chunks. I know that there are multiple causes for this but the biggest thing that I’m aware of is my weight transfer or lack thereof.

I’ve used the Planemate in the past to renovate my swing and it worked well but I stopped using it because I thought the tool worked and it fixed my swing forever. I was wrong. As I started going through the tutorials again I realized I had lost a lot of the fundamentals and feelings. Hoping to use these insoles with the Planemate and get my swing in order.

Driver: Callaway Paradym @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Odyssey AI One Jailbird Mini

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023, Titleist AVX

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

8 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

Rock Bottom has these on sale for $97.   Just ordered a pair to see how they work and find out something else wrong with my golf swing 🤣

Thanks, sounds tempting.  MPR's review has been very good and from what I have seen, It could be very beneficial to me as well in getting that weight transferred or knowing at least how much I'm not doing it.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

29 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Thanks, sounds tempting.  MPR's review has been very good and from what I have seen, It could be very beneficial to me as well in getting that weight transferred or knowing at least how much I'm not doing it.  

Apparently their has been a firmware update and Harry has posted a few things about the information being improved.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

23 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Apparently their has been a firmware update and Harry has posted a few things about the information being improved.

That's what prompted me to look at these again...and the reduced price he mentioned to $160.  I was about to buy them using the link in his article from Amazon but when I did a google search to verify sizing it brought me to rock bottom and they were way cheaper so at that point it became a no brainer.

I actually just initiated a return on my Amazon purchase and bought a pair from Rock bottom. $40 difference is too much to ignore.

Driver: Callaway Paradym @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Odyssey AI One Jailbird Mini

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023, Titleist AVX

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

Mine should be arriving any day now, my PT and golf coach have been commenting on my posture and weight balance so I'm looking forward to using these to correct all that. 

I got a pair of these.  The hardware seems great but I am not too thrilled with the app.  Seems like a lot of work to record every swing.  I wish there was a way I could just see what happened on a 5 second delay, so I could hit my ball, look up, and see the movement of my weight shift.