TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putting Technique

Do you putt with a straight back and through motion or do you putt with an up stroke? Does it make a difference? I see most touring pros with an up stroke method.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Not sure what you mean by an "up" stroke.   Unless you are manipulating your hands and arms in some way all putting strokes are on an arc.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My thought is whatever posture that allows my shoulders to swing fully and keeps my wrists square preferably 2 inches before and after the hitting zone. I listen for the "skip" of the ball. It should be quiet! If I hear the skip I know I have too much backspin. If the ball pops up I know I hit down on the ball or "scooped" the ball. 

Another thought is whether I swing with the left arm and support/guide with the right? Or do I swing with the right arm and support/guide with the left? I find my answer to this question by watching if I pull or push.

Watch the video at this link for the drills Tiger does to help his right hand dominant putting stroke. I use these drills often. 

It's 90% Mental

My thought is whatever posture that allows my shoulders to swing fully and keeps my wrists square preferably 2 inches before and after the hitting zone. I listen for the "skip" of the ball. It should be quiet! If I hear the skip I know I have too much backspin. If the ball pops up I know I hit down on the ball or "scooped" the ball. 
Another thought is whether I swing with the left arm and support/guide with the right? Or do I swing with the right arm and support/guide with the left? I find my answer to this question by watching if I pull or push.
Watch the video at this link for the drills Tiger does to help his right hand dominant putting stroke. I use these drills often. 
[/url]  
Good advice! Drill is great too

Sent from my moto g(7) power using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver- Cobra Speedzone 9° default_cobra-small.jpg.bf0039c0fa211a003217e70e184035fa.jpg

Woods- Sub70 Pro 5-Wood   08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg  

Utility- Titleist 718 T-MB 4 Utility  default_titelist-small.jpg.d620943db19c6c6f477d78c3e6dcfb1b.jpg

Irons- Sub70 649 MB Tour 5-PW, 699 Pro 2U  08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg

Wedges- Cleveland Zipcore RTX 52°,56°, 60°  default_cleveland-small.jpg.0615c53919b7f92c3524630e353b33bb.jpg

Putter- Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 default_cameron-small.gif.dd99234f0267bb38c40c23053034a445.gif

Ball- Titleist ProV1x default_titelist-small.jpg.d620943db19c6c6f477d78c3e6dcfb1b.jpg  

Sounds like you are still making choices about how to putt. Are you continually changing these things from hole to hole/round to round?

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 hours ago, cnosil said:

Not sure what you mean by an "up" stroke.   Unless you are manipulating your hands and arms in some way all putting strokes are on an arc.  

Putting the ball while on a slight upward path or just straight back and through... sorry for the sloppy drawing.

Putting.JPG

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Putting the ball while on a slight upward path or just straight back and through... sorry for the sloppy drawing.
Putting.JPG.1f6a33ad293a99be71b5dde5587332b2.JPG

Ok, I follow now, terminology issue. You were talking vertical path and not horizontal. Again unless you are manipulating your arms, the putter cannot travel on a flat plane(always same distance above the ground). The putter travels in a circular motion along a tilted plane; think of a hula hoop.

For me to see the line correctly and start my ball online my ball position is forward in my stance. Because of this my putter is traveling up at impact.

On 10/13/2020 at 7:47 AM, cnosil said:

Sounds like you are still making choices about how to putt. Are you continually changing these things from hole to hole/round to round?

I've always tried to swing from the shoulders and eliminate the wrists. I was on a reinvention of my putting stroke this summer. Made some fantastic headway too with my stroke as well as using AimPoint system for green reading. 

As for how I answered the original post I was trying to give the readers a swing thought to help their putting. I hope that's what came across. 

Thanks for your feedback and comments. 

It's 90% Mental

putt with up stroke. as you come through your left elbow bends. Let the wrists move. More wrists = less handsy. People trying to go straight through and chasing the ball low with the putter head are manipulating the hands so much trying not to use wrists as all. Wrists are part of the pendulum. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

On 10/12/2020 at 6:00 PM, 808nation said:

I see most touring pros with an up stroke method.

A comment relative to just that... If you mean when you're watching on TV, I'd caution you to be aware of the camera angles - especially sometimes for putts they seem to get closer to a ground level view .. which can appear to exaggerate the vertical motion of the back- and forward strokes.....

IMHO... If you were standing on the green next to the pros my guess is you'd actually see -less- movement of the putter head up & down vs most amateurs.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

3 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

A comment relative to just that... If you mean when you're watching on TV, I'd caution you to be aware of the camera angles - especially sometimes for putts they seem to get closer to a ground level view .. which can appear to exaggerate the vertical motion of the back- and forward strokes.....

IMHO... If you were standing on the green next to the pros my guess is you'd actually see -less- movement of the putter head up & down vs most amateurs.

I bet you would see more, as ams are focusing on not using the hands and limiting any arc or face manipulations. Oddly, this lack of hands feel releases the putter out on a low straight line which is a very handsy push manipulation. 

Jack said several times, the putter head goes from low to high, and most ams go high back, and low on the follow. Faxon as well, lets the lead elbow come up and work around him. Putter head rises. Tiger's been analyzed on SAM PuttLab, and the face rises dramatically after impact. 

magsp1WkMxvGVyYBZ9Dd2F4xqCZ5FIT9pQChJd4fuMnOOsO29jlfWdkw1TYe8daaubJSSobjsshWQzKAoavaWdsJKPWX9AQgvvtONzo6DAmT9juiqzhgURvyWeReNIgLM3PQDfq7uiD_AQ 

Brad Faxon's putter got him on a roll toward 64 - The Boston Globe

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Putting is so unique to an individual and you need to find something that works. Look at the Pros and the myriad of clubs, swings and grips.

I think I'm back and thru, as soon as I try to arc the swing I push everything.

I'm rock my shoulders, very little wrist. I'm a spot putter and if I'm concentrating on the stroke the pace goes. Swing thought tend to be focus on spot, ball, spot, swing.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

1 hour ago, scooterhd2 said:

I bet you would see more, as ams ... (etc.)

Huh! Interesting!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 10/12/2020 at 7:50 PM, DubiousPro said:

Thanks for sharing this drill video. I feel like I always miss putts on just the left edge of the cup. I’ve never actually done any putting mechanics drills so looking forward to giving these a try. 

Playing mostly Mizuno Hot Metal, but just added an Epic Flash 26* hybrid to the bag. 

On 10/13/2020 at 9:44 AM, cnosil said:

Ok, I follow now, terminology issue. You were talking vertical path and not horizontal. Again unless you are manipulating your arms, the putter cannot travel on a flat plane(always same distance above the ground). The putter travels in a circular motion along a tilted plane; think of a hula hoop.

For me to see the line correctly and start my ball online my ball position is forward in my stance. Because of this my putter is traveling up at impact.

Generally, that's true.  The putter head will always come up on the back stroke and on the through stroke.  The setup and technique will dictate how much it comes up.  If you position the ball more forward (like I do), the tendency is to come up more on the back stroke and not as much on the through stroke.  Dave Stockton is a proponent of keeping the putter low back and through.  Take a look at some of his videos.

Everyone has their own technique ; what looks right and feels good as the ball goes in the hole.  It it doesn't look right or feel good and isn't going in the hole, then you need to find a different technique.  Took me years.

Personally, I like the Kenny B method. 🤣  You all know that I look at the hole on every putt; my method is described in many other putting threads so I won't go into it here.  I found a putting technique that works for me.  It's a combination of Dave Stockton's method and Brandt Snedeker.  I keep the putter head low unconsciously (don't think about that, although now that I'm discussing it, I'll probably will tomorrow and suck).  The Snedeker part I added to my stroke about a year ago.  I was doing the pendulum... rocking my shoulders, but I would tend to come up short on distance.  That happens because when I am trying to maintain same length back and through, my tendency was to start slowing down at impact; not accelerating.  I was watching Sneds use his old school pop stroke where the  through stroke is cut short and it's almost like I move the putter head backwards slightly at impact.  Jordan Spieth is similar on short putts, but not as pronounced as Sneds.  I kept everything the same but added Sneds pop, and I found that I control speed well with the ball always getting to the hole on short and mid-range putts.  On long putts I'm just trying to get it near the hole.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Have not been to the course for few weeks and just doing indoor putting practice. I find that for longish  putts I tend to have the ball A fraction forward in the stance and have longer follow thru and slight move me putter upwards at the end of the followthru 
For makeable shortish putts I polarize my ball position more middle online with my upper body like my sternum