TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ball color during fall season

808nation

Just curious, what color ball do you use during Fall Season when the leaves turn orange and red? Is white the best color to use?

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I play white, just like the rest of the year.  Ive never bought into the notion of a colored ball in the fall because who wants a red, yellow or orange ball when the leaves are all that color?  Pink might be an option because at least there aren't any pink leaves.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I still like white.

I used to go yellow, but still found it hard to see in the leaves. I find yellow balls to be best for grey days to see them against a white sky but also early spring golf where the ground is pretty bare, yet the sky is still fairly cloudy.

I really have yet to find any color that is a stand out in the easy to see category when it comes to leaves.

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

I still use white, but I am curious, does anyone play those matte green balls? Do they stand out better?

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I still find white to be the best.  Can't seem to find the colored balls in the leaves.  I have a buddy who will play a blue ball.  It's mildly easier to find in the leaves, but I find it way tougher to track in the air.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST-180 10.5°, Mitsubishi Diamana B Series 60 X

Fairway::mizuno-small: ST-180 15°, Mitsubishi Diamana W-Series 70 X

Hybrids: :titelist-small: 913H 19° & 21°

Irons::wilson_staff_small: C300 5-GW, KBS Tour V stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 54.12D and 58.12D 

Putter: Toulon Columbus

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

RH, 7.5 hcp from Boston, MA - PM if you ever need a 4th

I tend to always stick with white. I've lost my fair share of white balls in the fairway before when the leaves start to fall, no need to make finding it any more difficult 🤣🤣

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I used white all year around but this one fall I had some red chrome softs I used and the caddy so it was the easiest ball to locate in the air and ground... 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Played yesterday at dusk and lost a few white balls where I should have easily found them.  Pulled a yellow ball out of the bottom of the bag and played it for 13 holes.  That was my 1st time pulling a colored ball out of the bag as I usually just give them away.  Made such a difference I came home last night and ordered up some Yellow Snells.  

I switch to yellow in the fall. I did just play with someone that played the matte green ball. That stood out everywhere on the course.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 10/12/2020 at 6:12 PM, 808nation said:

Just curious, what color ball do you use during Fall Season when the leaves turn orange and red? Is white the best color to use?

In the fall I switch from Matte Green, to white.  I find that in amongst the colored leaves white stands out better.  As conditions deteriorate(leaves, freezing ground, literally rock hard greens) here on the shores of Lake Erie  in Ohio, I simply use white Top-Flites or some other cheaper ball.   It becomes more about just getting some swings in(when the ground is not covered with snow) here, and not about score or how the ball reacts.  I use white because I think its stands out in the colored leaves,  and I just use cheap ones because if there are a lot of leaves I do a cursory check, and drop another and move on(don't want to spend a lot of time kicking through swathes of leaves.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 10/13/2020 at 1:29 PM, Tsmithjr9 said:

I still use white, but I am curious, does anyone play those matte green balls? Do they stand out better?

Take Dead Aim

I use matte green Bridgestone e12's.  I think they do stand out a little better than more brightly colored yellow, Q-star, or yellow E6's.  I think the lack of a shiny cover helps them not blend in with shiny grass from dew and other things in the morning.  I've just always been able to pick out yellow, or now matte green better.  In leaves I use white and cheap (Top Flite cheap), kick the leaves once or twice, drop another and move on. 

Reading the comments, I see some switch from white to Yellow, some like me switch from yellow to white, in leaves.  Maybe it just has to do with the Switch?  Maybe because we are looking for something different, than we are all the other times, makes it jump out at us. Hmmmmm 🧐.  And I use Top Flite cheap, because I don't want to be tempted to test the thickness of the ice, to retrieve even a $2 Bridgestone E12, because its sitting there on top of the ice taunting me ..🥶🥶.  You would think they would just roll to the edge of frozen water.....they don't, they come to rest tauntingly beyond the club, or retriever EVERY TIME🤬

My local courses generally have pine trees. I do not have much of an issue with the leaves dropping everywhere. We get pine needles. The yellow stands out better against the grass when it goes dormant and the brown pine needles. That's why I go from white to yellow.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

There might be advantages to finding colored balls in Fall, but I stick with white as anything else throws me off at address. I have tried yellow, pink, orange & matte balls and just can't get used to them. I won't even pick them up if I find them even if it's a top notch tour ball. More power to those who find them helpful.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Better question than color - is there a type of ball better suited to teeing off where there is a frost delay everyday?  Are low compression balls better for cold temperatures?  Any facts/science to back that up?

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

On 10/13/2020 at 3:48 PM, TSauer said:

I tend to always stick with white. I've lost my fair share of white balls in the fairway before when the leaves start to fall, no need to make finding it any more difficult 🤣🤣

Absolutely! Wish I can improve my eye sight to see where the ball lands instead of worrying about ball color🤣

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

On 10/15/2020 at 7:49 PM, WaffleHouseTour said:

Better question than color - is there a type of ball better suited to teeing off where there is a frost delay everyday?  Are low compression balls better for cold temperatures?  Any facts/science to back that up?

Here you go https://www.snellgolf.com/blogs/news/does-temperature-affect-golf-ball-performance

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

White gets kind of hard to see around here lately...IMG_2267.jpg.d941b8bb93c27e5621fdff041fb4782f.jpg

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

57 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Sorry Brian... that brings a tear to my eye.  Seems a little early though?

Yeah, We set records for most snow in Oct.  We stand at 8.3 inches so far.  It completely snuck up on us, course isn't even winterized yet.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

During summer season I use pink and orange balls on the range because they are identifiable from other players. In the Autumn the range is just cover in leaves so move to yellow and white. 

On the course we don't have a lot of deciduous trees so it is still white, but I do carry yellow for frostie days.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Yellow always - 

I can't wait for the Fall to come to Florida - we had a week of it - summer has returned though - it's more like summer right now here than summer was - not quite as hot but afternoon showers every day this week - 

I use yellow because its the only color that I have a chance of seeing in the Florida sunshine.  I realize its a different problem from many of you and especially Brian - nice to hear from you my friend.  

When I lived up North I always stuck with white - I would use my more experienced balls in the fall though given that there was always a chance that they could roll under some leaves never to be seen by human eyes again.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I bought a bunch of yellow balls thinking it would be easier to follow in the area and find in the ground. I got this idea from years of softball and the yellow ball being easier than a white one. But for me after I go through these balls I will be going back to white all year round. 

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

At 55 of age, I have trouble seeing a white ball as it gets lost in the background clouds, so I switched to yellow. Works great until I hit into the rough with a growth of yellow daisies. 

Ping 410 Driver and 3 & 5 Hybrids, JPX 921 Forged 4-GW, Vokey SM8 54 & 58, Putters Newport, ER2 with a PXG Blackjack on order. Arccos tracking system to track my lack of progress.  

• 2 weeks later...

In Indiana, sometimes I can't even find my ball when it's in the fairway (which is rare.............that I hit the fairway in the first place). It always seems to land just perfectly under a leaf! White for me though.

I'm a hockey player playing golf today.
TSR3, Ventus Blue Velocore 7X
JPX 921 Tour Irons
Evnroll EV5.1
ProV1x

I prefer white most of the year, but when we get those gray cloudy inversion days in the winter, I like the Optic Yellow.  Last week I played with three strangers, two of them played the bright green ball (don't know brand), but I could see that color very well in the air and on the ground.  Our turf is starting to turn a little yellow/brown as irrigation has stopped and we haven't had any rain for awhile.  I'm going to get a dozen of the new 2020 Srixon Soft Feels in Brite Green to try as a winter ball.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have tried several colors and the TM ones with the funky designs. White is the best for me all the way around.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

I stick with white. Not sure it matters much as the ball is so tough to find with all the fall foliage on the ground

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX