Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver landing issue!!! Please Help

Hi all. Recently i have noticed that my driver's ball land quite steep and when it lands it is stuck in a divot where it touches the ground and therefore getting no roll at all. Is this a technique problem or is it an equipment problem? And what can i do?

I play an Honma TW747 with an 50gr SR shaft and proV1 balls. My club head speed is about 110 and i carry about 250. 

I think i loses alot of distance because of my ball launching very high.

Honma TW747 at 10,5 deg w 50gr SR shaft

Taylormade M6 3 wood w stock S shaft

Titleist U500 2iron hzrdus 6.0

Mizuno MP 18 MB with KBS Tour 105

Titleist Vokey SM8 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Coronado.

If you are getting no roll it is because the ground is probably wet.

At 110 you should be seeing more carry, but to assess what is happening you need to provide things like launch angle, ball speed, where on the face you are hitting the ball, peak height, etc.

If you just want a simple answer lower the loft on the club or hit lower spinning balls.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

At 110 you should be seeing more carry, but to assess what is happening you need to provide things like launch angle, ball speed, where on the face you are hitting the ball, peak height, etc.

If you just want a simple answer lower the loft on the club or hit lower spinning balls.

What he said. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

What ball do you recommends ? I have been fitted with a sim driver with a tensei orange 60x shaft (have not played with it tho). I pretty much always catch the middle. 

Titleist Vokey SM8 

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Also is it normal if the ball digs really deep in to the ground?

Titleist Vokey SM8 

What ball do you recommends ? I have been fitted with a sim driver with a tensei orange 60x shaft (have not played with it tho). I pretty much always catch the middle. 

If you were fit for the club and alway hit the middle with ideal launch conditions you should be carrying in the 280 range. So based on what you said you are losing about 30 yards somewhere. The specific reason is impossible for anyone to tell you without seeing you launch numbers.

Also you have a driver that you were fit into but are not playing; which may also solve your problem. How did the new driver compare to the current driver?

If you just want a lower spinning ball Titlest AVX is an option. However, if you drop spin too low, you may get even worse results. You must look at the complete picture to make appropriate changes.

Also is it normal if the ball digs really deep in to the ground?

How wet are your fairways? Move to somewhere that has to drier conditions and the ball wont stay in the pitch mark.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

If you were fit for the club and alway hit the middle with ideal launch conditions you should be carrying in the 280 range. So based on what you said you are losing about 30 yards somewhere. The specific reason is impossible for anyone to tell you without seeing you launch numbers.

Also you have a driver that you were fit into but are not playing; which may also solve your problem. How did the new driver compare to the current driver?

If you just want a lower spinning ball Titlest AVX is an option. However, if you drop spin too low, you may get even worse results. You must look at the complete picture to make appropriate changes.

How wet are your fairways? Move to somewhere that has to drier conditions and the ball wont stay in the pitch mark.

I think youre right. I got fitted 2 days ago and have not brought it out on the course yet. The monitor that they used at the centre showed me carrying about 287. I didnt trust the number tho so i didnt mention it. Thanks for your helps. Im gonna test out the AVX balls

Titleist Vokey SM8 

2 minutes ago, LouisBao said:

I think youre right. I got fitted 2 days ago and have not brought it out on the course yet. The monitor that they used at the centre showed me carrying about 287. I didnt trust the number tho so i didnt mention it. Thanks for your helps. Im gonna test out the AVX balls

The SIM by nature is a lower spinning head, and that Sr. Flex shaft you are playing is probably adding spin to your drives with the Honma.  So the combination of those two are more than likely creating spin that is hurting you.  But as CNosil said, there is a lot more to it in the swing dynamics than just head and shaft can tell.   The ProV is lower spinning than the VX but not as low as the AVX, so that might help a bit, but not a major factor. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

The SIM by nature is a lower spinning head, and that Sr. Flex shaft you are playing is probably adding spin to your drives with the Honma.  So the combination of those two are more than likely creating spin that is hurting you.  But as CNosil said, there is a lot more to it in the swing dynamics than just head and shaft can tell.   The ProV is lower spinning than the VX but not as low as the AVX, so that might help a bit, but not a major factor. 

My ball with the old driver fly really high and deop out of the sky alot. With what youre saying i think i should stay with the pro v1 and try the new head.

Titleist Vokey SM8 

4 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I would also consider moving the heavier weight of the Honma to the front of the club.  Could be a shaft issue also, but like eveyone said, at that swing speed you should be carrying it farther. I'm guessing that you are at around 3500-4000rpm w/ the honma where you should really be less than 3000 and 13-15 degree launch angle.  If you can, hit them both side by side in a simulator and compare launch numbers

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

I run into a similar problem from time to time.

My swing starts creeping, and I hit down with the driver.

I have seen my drives leave a divot in a fairway, and back up about 1 foot from it.

That's usually really wet.

During those times, my ball only rolls out about 5 feet at best.

Definitely try that new driver, and let us know what happens.

Always chasing different clubs

7 minutes ago, LouisBao said:

My ball with the old driver fly really high and deop out of the sky alot. With what youre saying i think i should stay with the pro v1 and try the new head.

I am having a similar issue with my Titleist TS1 driver with a Sr. flex 50g shaft.  The ball comes off the face like it's going to go 280 yards and ends up going like 210--88 MPH swing speed.   It just gets halfwa out there and I see that same falling out of the sky thing, so I get where you are coming from.

I have a MAVRIK SubZero that I get more distance and less spin out of, but it's not as straight as the Titleist.

I'm going for a Titeleist Thursday fitting next week on the new drivers, I'll be interested to see what they come up with compared to my current TS1 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

6 minutes ago, golfingbrock said:

I would also consider moving the heavier weight of the Honma to the front of the club.  Could be a shaft issue also, but like eveyone said, at that swing speed you should be carrying it farther. I'm guessing that you are at around 3500-4000rpm w/ the honma where you should really be less than 3000 and 13-15 degree launch angle.  If you can, hit them both side by side in a simulator and compare launch numbers

I do have the heavier weight at the front. I think its just the shaft being too light and not fitted for me.

5 minutes ago, Jackal said:

I run into a similar problem from time to time.

My swing starts creeping, and I hit down with the driver.

I have seen my drives leave a divot in a fairway, and back up about 1 foot from it.

That's usually really wet.

During those times, my ball only rolls out about 5 feet at best.

Definitely try that new driver, and let us know what happens.

Yessir ill update u guys once i get on the course.

Titleist Vokey SM8 

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I am having a similar issue with my Titleist TS1 driver with a Sr. flex 50g shaft.  The ball comes off the face like it's going to go 280 yards and ends up going like 210--88 MPH swing speed.   It just gets halfwa out there and I see that same falling out of the sky thing, so I get where you are coming from.

I have a MAVRIK SubZero that I get more distance and less spin out of, but it's not as straight as the Titleist.

I'm going for a Titeleist Thursday fitting next week on the new drivers, I'll be interested to see what they come up with compared to my current TS1 

Nicee, I dont know the ball flight of my new driver tho. But from the monitor at the fitting centre, if flies lower and still as straight as the honma. I think i am more consistent with it too. The new driver erase all my left misses.

Titleist Vokey SM8 

just a suggestion, don't change ball and driver at the same time.  keep the consistency of the ball for trying out the new driver.  just don't add too many variables.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft