TESTERS WANTED! ×

PXG Blackjack Fitting

PXG Blackjack Putter fitting with Miguel from Brown Bear Golf. Looking for an updated mallet putter brought us to PXG Headquarters in Scottsdale, AZ. We get to use hogh speed cideo and computer algorithims from Quintic putting lab. The fitter found some ways to curomize rhebputter to help me hitt better putts. We discuss competitors like TaylorMade Spider X and Odyssey Stroke Lab #10. As amazing as the Blackjack putter looks how did it perform?  Is it a hit?  Or is it a stand? Find out with Brown Bear!

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

PXG Blackjack Putter fitting with Miguel from Brown Bear Golf. Looking for an updated mallet putter brought us to PXG Headquarters in Scottsdale, AZ. We get to use hogh speed cideo and computer algorithims from Quintic putting lab. The fitter found some ways to curomize rhebputter to help me hitt better putts. We discuss competitors like TaylorMade Spider X and Odyssey Stroke Lab #10. As amazing as the Blackjack putter looks how did it perform?  Is it a hit?  Or is it a stand? Find out with Brown Bear!

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

Good review. Glad you pointed out that the ball dies not start rolling at impact and goes through a skid phase and part of the fitting is to get the putter to launch the ball correctly.

Wish I was near a place that could do a Quintic analysis for $50. You could have added to the review by going more in depth on what the Quintic was telling and showing you.

I know you were interested in the blackjack but did the fitter recommend any other putters that might work better than your current based on what was being shown on Quintic?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Glad you enjoyed your fitting. Never did a putter fitting myself but looks like you learned a lot. Thanks for sharing! Was interesting how small the head actually looked. I game a Las Vegas Toulon so I bet the size delta is similar. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Let's try to keep the same topic to one thread please.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

11 hours ago, cnosil said:

Good review. Glad you pointed out that the ball dies not start rolling at impact and goes through a skid phase and part of the fitting is to get the putter to launch the ball correctly.

Wish I was near a place that could do a Quintic analysis for $50. You could have added to the review by going more in depth on what the Quintic was telling and showing you.

I know you were interested in the blackjack but did the fitter recommend any other putters that might work better than your current based on what was being shown on Quintic?

I think you are right. Right off the bat the fitter told me he liked using the video and angle lines best to fit people. I immediately told him I needed data from the quintic because one of my motivating factors for seeking a new putter was a desire for a faster roll and less skid and bounce. His chart said the range should be from between 7 and 15 inches before the ball rolls. Mine is at a 12 inch before roll with both my odyssey and the PXG.  So no difference there. He only took two readings with the quintic.  Who know what or how they trained to do their fittings. 

I do know that if I had access to the quintic beyond 30-45 minutes I would use it endlessly to really try and get that skid down to 7 inches.  However, his video and alignment reading was that I hit the ball at a perfect 90* impact which means the loft at impact is exactly the loft of the putter at 3* so no need for a change in the loft. 

one reason I didn’t go too detailed was we only used it once per club. And I’ve been told I can get too technical or too long for the average golfer. The original cut of that video was 8 minutes longer 😜

I hope that helps a little. Thank you so much for watching. I’m tempted to go to the PGA Tour Superstore and do a putter fitting there as a comparison of not just technique but also if their equipment which is different. But alas, $50 more could go to the new putter I finally decide on.  

Oh also, I did try their mini gunboat and the operator. The mini gunboat just looks really weird. And the operator felt good but is huge.  It looked like a black microwave on a stick. 

On 10/13/2020 at 8:21 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Let's try to keep the same topic to one thread please.

Sure. Understood.

On 10/13/2020 at 7:44 AM, jlukes said:

Good review, but did you really have to spam post this in a dozen different sub forums on the site? I get you’re trying to build your brand but there are better ways to do that — and the copy and paste approach is more obvious when you have a ton of weird typos

No, I suppose I didn't need to post my link in multiple threads. My intention was not to annoy members or the staff.  I know that I don't look at multiple threads as there are so many.  As for the typos I'm totally embarrassed.  I was so excited to post this and hopefully get some feedback that I let my mistakes through.  I'm not sold on any putter and was looking for insight from members.

I'll delete some of the posts. 

As for better ways to build the brand, what are your suggestions for me to share on a broader level?  I just started my youtube channel in June.  I just wrote my first MGS review this past month.  I also posted the MGS review link in many many places.  What are the other ways you think are more effective and less offensive to people?  I certainly don't want to turn people off.

Thanks.

Well I tried to delete the post from the Putter thread but it won't let me.  Somehow it has deleted if from my personal profile page but I feel like that's allowed for me to post there.  Admins might be able to take it down if you ask them. 

4 hours ago, BrownBearGolf said:

As for better ways to build the brand, what are your suggestions for me to share on a broader level?  I just started my youtube channel in June.  I just wrote my first MGS review this past month.  I also posted the MGS review link in many many places.  What are the other ways you think are more effective and less offensive to people?  I certainly don't want to turn people off.

Thanks.

To build you brand you will have to post to multiple forums across the golfing community.  Not everyone reads MGS.   To be honest, I watched your review because it was about putters and Quintic;  I really don't know what your brand is.   What are you trying to provide?  As I mentioned in my post,  I really wanted more details on Quintic and what it showed you about putting stats.   Honestly your response was puzzling since you want to change the skid of your putts even though it is perfectly acceptable and to actually change that value,  you would need to change something about your putting stroke that may make another parameter worse.   This makes me wonder if you can really provide me with information that I would be interested in hearing.  Sorry,  not trying to be negative,  just giving you my thoughts. 

4 hours ago, BrownBearGolf said:

Well I tried to delete the post from the Putter thread but it won't let me.  Somehow it has deleted if from my personal profile page but I feel like that's allowed for me to post there.  Admins might be able to take it down if you ask them. 

You can post in whatever topic area you want.  The mods consolidated your multiple threads into a single thread.   The issue is that you will have people responding in all of the threads and good information will be not seen by everyone.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 hours ago, cnosil said:

To build you brand you will have to post to multiple forums across the golfing community.  Not everyone reads MGS.   To be honest, I watched your review because it was about putters and Quintic;  I really don't know what your brand is.   What are you trying to provide?  As I mentioned in my post,  I really wanted more details on Quintic and what it showed you about putting stats.   Honestly your response was puzzling since you want to change the skid of your putts even though it is perfectly acceptable and to actually change that value,  you would need to change something about your putting stroke that may make another parameter worse.   This makes me wonder if you can really provide me with information that I would be interested in hearing.  Sorry,  not trying to be negative,  just giving you my thoughts. 

You can post in whatever topic area you want.  The mods consolidated your multiple threads into a single thread.   The issue is that you will have people responding in all of the threads and good information will be not seen by everyone.  

Hi there, 

I don't have a brand.  A previous commenter mentioned there are better ways to build a brand and I was curious what those were.  I'm passionate about golf and love new technology.  I do like people watching my videos and leaving comments that I find interesting and helpful to me in my search for perspectives outside my own.  Combine those previous mentioned things and I've become a huge MGS fan.  I love it here.   

I'm sorry if I misrepresented what the video is about in either the title or the description. My video is not about quintic.  The video I made is of my experience going through a putter fitting as I'm in search of a new putter.  My video does mention quintic as one of the ways the fitter evaluated my putter swing.  As mentioned in my previous response to you he only took two readings of my swing with the Quintic.  One reading was with my current gamer and one with the Blackjack.  Therefore despite me wanting to delve deeper into Quintic I just don't have the data or experience to do so.  You are probably right in your skepticism that I can not "provide me with information that I would be interested in hearing."  I understand you are not tying to be negative and truly appreciate you taking your time to give me feedback.  I really wish I could do a video where I had many swings and data points on the Quintic. 

As for what is puzzling you about my desire to reduce my skid I too am confused.  An acceptable range for a putt to start rolling according to the chart by Quintic that my fitter stated is between 7 and 15 inches of skid before proper rolling.  My current 12 inches is at the higher end of that range.  I would like it to be at the lowest end of that range due to the fact that it is my understanding that the faster the ball starts to roll then the better the putt's probability of being accurate on the line chosen to the hole. Since it's quantifiable I simply and perhaps ignorantly wanted the ball to start rolling 5 inches sooner than what it currently does.   

I'm not looking to change my putting stroke. I am seeking technology that will help reduce that skid distance.  The PXG claim is that with the variable thickness pyramid face milling and positioning of weight that the ball will roll sooner.  Sooner than what though?  That's why I compared it to my putter. It does not roll sooner than my putter.  That's why I'm confused about buying it.  

Face inserts by Odyssey and its Microhinges claim to get the ball rolling faster  as does Taylormade's face insert with its 45* angled grooves.  So, if there are claims the ball can roll faster then I want that.  If my roll is quantifiable and is in the higher range then I want the claims to be true and the skid to be less.

In the end I'm skeptical of the claims however that doesn't mean I'll never buy a new putter if the roll isn't reduced. I found the smaller look and overall design of the Blackjack immensely easier to look at than my current gamer.  I find the white alignment on the Spider X to be helpful and I find the face insert of the Stroke Lab #10 to feel wonderful.  Can there be a customize-able putter where I can put all three of these in one putter?

Again, thank you for your time and I do appreciate your thoughts.  I'm sorry I can't help more with Quintic but my motive when setting up the fitting and filming was not to focus on Quinitc.  However, you've inspired me to do some research on it.  I may consider going to PGA Tour Superstore.  They have the SAM putter lab.  Maybe I'll focus on that one.

Take care