TESTERS WANTED! ×

The pleasures of old muscle backs

Hook DeLoft

A buddy and I played this morning and I requested a waver of the 14 club rule so I could occasionally hit one of my old Wilson FG17 blades.  He naturally said ok knowing that the odds of me hitting good shots with them were pretty slim.  Anyhow, I hit the 6 iron 3 times, with 2 solid strikes and 1 a little thin.  Hit the 8 iron 3 times with one solid strike, one slight miss that resulted in a GIR and a birdie and one fat one.  I hit the 5 iron and PW once each and the less said about those shots the better.  Long story short, there is no better feeling than hitting a small blade in the sweet spot.  When I hit a high draw with the 6 iron, I thought "I could play these."  Then I hit the PW 10 or 15 yards short and knew I was kidding myself.  But those few pure shots -- oh my!

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I love it! I've got several sets of classics- Macgregor Nicklaus Muirfield Anniversarys, Hogan Bounce Soles, Hagen "Forged in USA"s and I occasionally sneak my girlfriend's Wilson Progressives out. It's really a lot of fun. FG17s are probably next on my classics list.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I just bought a set of the Canadian classic blades, the Accuform PTM's. Very much looking forward to playing them this weekend and having a bit of fun. Eventually might even move into a real nice set of blades. I almost bought a set of Titleist Tour Performance as well but figured one blade set at a time was probably plenty.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Old muscle backs are about all I play.  Ram Tour Grinds are largely my thing, though I have a soft spot for MP37s.  They work quite well.  

There's a whole world of clubs out there that can really give you a feel for what golf used to be like.  If you're inclined in that direction, of course.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft