Shank Aaron

Choose your path  

13 members have voted

1. 1. To game, or not to game?

• You dont buy a Ferarri and not drive it
    • Mine are locked inside a safe, inside a vault, under a volcano
    • Never had one, but I'd game it
    • Never had one, and not interested in one

How many of you have gamed/are gaming your rare, exclusive, and/or otherwise super valuable putters regardless of brand? This isn't a question for the "I game what works", or the ever popular "go get fit" type answers. I'm genuinely curious about peoples opinions. Hopefully this turns out to be a good conversation. 

Shank's Tentative 2024 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym Smoke Ai TD 9*/Ventus TR Blue 6X +1/D

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Paradym Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

I game my circle t putters and if/when I buy another it will get gamed. Same goes for my scotty cameron headcovers most have been used already for at least one round

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 1 month later...

I've owned a handful of limited release Scotty's over the years and on my 2nd Circle T putter. Gamed them all and still gaming my x5 CT. Only caveat is I'm very careful with them....trying not to bang them on other clubs. 

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

I say play with what you have. The only putters I would be cautious with are putters that are truly artistic or historical. If I bought the putter Tiger used to win his first masters, I would probably insure it, putt a few balls on carpet, then display it on the wall in a protected fashion. It would be unlikely to ever see a course but there is no reason it couldn't. The other putters I would be cautious with are artistic putters like the resin Bradley putters.

"Special edition" putters are something I could generally care less about. Most are just a slightly different design that is milled by a CNC machine or they have a different finish. If someone is scared to play with a new "special edition" Scotty, then they probably can't reasonably afford it. To me special edition putters are like Hot Wheels cars in Walmart, they might say they are number 87 or 415 but there is a whole wall of different cars available that are all "special".

My opinion is that outside of a putter being a historical artifact or cherished for sentimental reasons, they should be played. If you're too nervous to play with a special putter, then you probably can't afford it. I do understand some people are purely collectors and I think that is a little different situation. I just ask that people who "collect" modern milled putters like Scotty Camerons, please ask yourself if you're actually collecting something historical or valuable. Most modern milled putters from big brands won't be very special 30 years from now as they are nothing more than a block of CNC milled steel. That's not to say they will drop in value but would you rather see the $500 on your wall be worth $500 in 30 years or would you rather see that $500 turn into $5000 in your 401K (in today's dollars)? If money is no question, buy all the putters you want and do whatever you want with them.

I'd add one more option: Never had one, but I wouldn't game it. That's probably my category. If I were to buy a collectable putter, I would buy it for the purpose of collecting, not for playing. It would be for me, in the words of MGS founder Adam Beach (@GolfSpy_X) a "wall-hanger."

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 3:06 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'd add one more option: Never had one, but I wouldn't game it. That's probably my category. If I were to buy a collectable putter, I would buy it for the purpose of collecting, not for playing. It would be for me, in the words of MGS founder Adam Beach (@GolfSpy_X) a "wall-hanger."

I get that. I've never been much of what you could consider a collector of anything. If I have it, I plan to use it, or get rid of it. Function over form mentality, I guess. 

Shank's Tentative 2024 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym Smoke Ai TD 9*/Ventus TR Blue 6X +1/D

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Paradym Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

• 2 months later...

I have a gallery fit 009 CT putter with a .5 neck.  It’s absolutely my gamer now and forever.  I’m not a watch guy or a clothes guy or a car guy.... This is my indulgence and I’m really happy with it. 

image.jpeg.9474dc6bba1a732724ee758cdeeb9819.jpeg

TSR3 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed LS 14.5* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

TSR3 21* Kai’li White 90S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

009 Welded 1.5 Neck