Choose your path  

11 members have voted

1. 1. To game, or not to game?

• You dont buy a Ferarri and not drive it
    • Mine are locked inside a safe, inside a vault, under a volcano
    • Never had one, but I'd game it
    • Never had one, and not interested in one

Our Sponsors

How many of you have gamed/are gaming your rare, exclusive, and/or otherwise super valuable putters regardless of brand? This isn't a question for the "I game what works", or the ever popular "go get fit" type answers. I'm genuinely curious about peoples opinions. Hopefully this turns out to be a good conversation. 

• Like 1

2020 Hogan VKTR+ 18* Tester

Driver- Epic Max LS Tour AD-HD 6S

3W- Sim2 Max Atmos TS Blue 6S

5W- Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 7S

4H- Apex 21 MMT 7S

5-AW- Miura CB-301 $-Taper Blackouts 120 S

Wedges- Vokey 56*/60*

Flatty- Scotty Cameron Phantom X6, Tour Stability Shaft 34"

Ball- Pro V1X

Bag- Vessel Players III 14-way Stand bag 

I game my circle t putters and if/when I buy another it will get gamed. Same goes for my scotty cameron headcovers most have been used already for at least one round

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 1 month later...

I've owned a handful of limited release Scotty's over the years and on my 2nd Circle T putter. Gamed them all and still gaming my x5 CT. Only caveat is I'm very careful with them....trying not to bang them on other clubs. 

:taylormade-small: TM SIM Max 9*- HZRDUS, Small Batch Smoke Green 70 Stiff PVD

:taylormade-small: TM SIM Titanium 3W - HZRDUS, Smoke Green 70 Stiff

:taylormade-small: TM SIM Titanium 5W - Diamana LTD 75 Stiff

:srixon-small: A-4iron ZX7 - Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:taylormade-small: 4 GAPR - Ozik stiff

:Miura: 55* K-Grind Miura

:scotty-cameron-1: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titelist-small: Titleist Left Dash Prov1X 

I say play with what you have. The only putters I would be cautious with are putters that are truly artistic or historical. If I bought the putter Tiger used to win his first masters, I would probably insure it, putt a few balls on carpet, then display it on the wall in a protected fashion. It would be unlikely to ever see a course but there is no reason it couldn't. The other putters I would be cautious with are artistic putters like the resin Bradley putters.

"Special edition" putters are something I could generally care less about. Most are just a slightly different design that is milled by a CNC machine or they have a different finish. If someone is scared to play with a new "special edition" Scotty, then they probably can't reasonably afford it. To me special edition putters are like Hot Wheels cars in Walmart, they might say they are number 87 or 415 but there is a whole wall of different cars available that are all "special".

My opinion is that outside of a putter being a historical artifact or cherished for sentimental reasons, they should be played. If you're too nervous to play with a special putter, then you probably can't afford it. I do understand some people are purely collectors and I think that is a little different situation. I just ask that people who "collect" modern milled putters like Scotty Camerons, please ask yourself if you're actually collecting something historical or valuable. Most modern milled putters from big brands won't be very special 30 years from now as they are nothing more than a block of CNC milled steel. That's not to say they will drop in value but would you rather see the $500 on your wall be worth $500 in 30 years or would you rather see that $500 turn into $5000 in your 401K (in today's dollars)? If money is no question, buy all the putters you want and do whatever you want with them.

• Like 1

I'd add one more option: Never had one, but I wouldn't game it. That's probably my category. If I were to buy a collectable putter, I would buy it for the purpose of collecting, not for playing. It would be for me, in the words of MGS founder Adam Beach (@GolfSpy_X) a "wall-hanger."

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:adams-small: XTD Proto dHy 21°, Aldila Green NV Hybrid 105 S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 3:06 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'd add one more option: Never had one, but I wouldn't game it. That's probably my category. If I were to buy a collectable putter, I would buy it for the purpose of collecting, not for playing. It would be for me, in the words of MGS founder Adam Beach (@GolfSpy_X) a "wall-hanger."

I get that. I've never been much of what you could consider a collector of anything. If I have it, I plan to use it, or get rid of it. Function over form mentality, I guess. 

• Like 1

2020 Hogan VKTR+ 18* Tester

Driver- Epic Max LS Tour AD-HD 6S

3W- Sim2 Max Atmos TS Blue 6S

5W- Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 7S

4H- Apex 21 MMT 7S

5-AW- Miura CB-301 $-Taper Blackouts 120 S

Wedges- Vokey 56*/60*

Flatty- Scotty Cameron Phantom X6, Tour Stability Shaft 34"

Ball- Pro V1X

Bag- Vessel Players III 14-way Stand bag 

• 2 months later...

I have a gallery fit 009 CT putter with a .5 neck.  It’s absolutely my gamer now and forever.  I’m not a watch guy or a clothes guy or a car guy.... This is my indulgence and I’m really happy with it. 

image.jpeg.9474dc6bba1a732724ee758cdeeb9819.jpeg

• Like 1

TaylorMade M3 9.5* Diamana W 60x

Cobra King LTD 14.5* Diamana BF 60x

Titleist 818H1 19*, 818H2 23* Tour Spec 8.8x

Srixon z65 (5-6 565, 7-9 765, P 965) Modus3 120x

Vokey SM6 (raw) 50F, 54S, 58M Modus3 120x

Cameron Futura X5.5 by Slighter