Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Courses in Charleston SC

ZMendle10

I'm heading out to Charleston, South Carolina in a year for a wedding. If anyone knows of any good courses to play while I'm out there I am all ears.

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSR3 8°, set to A1, Graphite Design UB 7X 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small:SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 8S

2 Utility: :srixon-small: ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  :srixon-small:ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°: :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60° :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz1 Max

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

:Sub70: Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

:Nippon: Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

:vokey-small:Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

:srixon-small:Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

:titleist-small: Unofficial TSR3 Review

Kiawah Island is a 20 minute drive from Charleston. Also look at a Shadowmoss Plantation and the Links at Stono Ferry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

On 10/14/2020 at 1:57 PM, Jmikecpa said:

Kiawah Island is a 20 minute drive from Charleston. Also look at a Shadowmoss Plantation and the Links at Stono Ferry.

Kiawah Island is really interesting to me especially since the ocean course is hosting the PGA Championship next year.

Forum Reviews: 

Kiawah Island is really interesting to me especially since the ocean course is hosting the PGA Championship next year.

Awesome course and great experience. A bit on the pricey side but you get what you pay for and it is worth the coin.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

20 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

Awesome course and great experience. A bit on the pricey side but you get what you pay for and it is worth the coin.

Are the courses on Kiawah island open to the public or do you have to be staying there since it appears to be a resort.

Forum Reviews: 

I haven't played there in many moons, but Charleston National is quite nice.  Also, Crowfield in Goose Creek was a pretty nice course when I played there.  Snee Farm was my home club when I lived there, but that was a private club then.  May be different now.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• 4 months later...
On 10/18/2020 at 5:06 PM, ZMendle10 said:

Are the courses on Kiawah island open to the public or do you have to be staying there since it appears to be a resort.

I know I am a bit late to this, but you did say you were heading out in a year, so figured I'd chime in and STRONGLY second the recommendation for the Ocean Course - it is not hard at all to get there from Charleston and an absolutely awesome course and amazing experience beginning to end. 

To answer your other question - no, you don't have to stay at the resort to play Ocean Course, but I believe you get preferred tee times and reduced rates if you are staying there.  I booked through their website when I was in Charleston and didn't have any issues.

Driver:  :cleveland-small: HiBore XL Tour, Aldila VS Proto 

Fairway:   :titelist-small: 980F 15* and 19* 

Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP-32 5-PW and MX-23 3 -4, Rifle 6.0

Wedges:  :mizuno-small:  MP-T4 54*, 60*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small:  Studio Design 1.5 

Ball:   :titelist-small: ProV1x

17 hours ago, MGrand said:

I know I am a bit late to this, but you did say you were heading out in a year, so figured I'd chime in and STRONGLY second the recommendation for the Ocean Course - it is not hard at all to get there from Charleston and an absolutely awesome course and amazing experience beginning to end. 

To answer your other question - no, you don't have to stay at the resort to play Ocean Course, but I believe you get preferred tee times and reduced rates if you are staying there.  I booked through their website when I was in Charleston and didn't have any issues.

I will be sure to speak with the groom about your strong recommendation for the ocean course. I did some more research and all of the courses in the Charleston area seem beautiful so I am very excited to be making this trip. I guess the wedding will be fun too.

Forum Reviews: 

Close to $400 for the round and then you tip the caddy. Work on keeping you ball flight low because it's always windy.  But it is one of those bucket list courses. Ten of the holes are along the ocean. The other courses on the property are less expensive in case you want to get in another round on another day. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

45 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Close to $400 for the round and then you tip the caddy. Work on keeping you ball flight low because it's always windy.  But it is one of those bucket list courses. Ten of the holes are along the ocean. The other courses on the property are less expensive in case you want to get in another round on another day. 

Holy hell. I better start saving now. Thanks for the heads up.

Forum Reviews: 

13 minutes ago, ZMendle10 said:

Holy hell. I better start saving now. Thanks for the heads up.

A suggested gratuity for a caddy is $100 bucks or you can just get a forecaddie for $50. I love golf and I appreciate great courses but some of them are just an absurd amount of money in my opinion.  I believe if you sign up for Golf Pass you can get 49% off at the Ocean Course. Golf pass will cost $99 a year. It is definitely worth looking into to save a hundred bucks. At least you have a year to do your homework.    

15 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

A suggested gratuity for a caddy is $100 bucks or you can just get a forecaddie for $50. I love golf and I appreciate great courses but some of them are just an absurd amount of money in my opinion.  I believe if you sign up for Golf Pass you can get 49% off at the Ocean Course. Golf pass will cost $99 a year. It is definitely worth looking into to save a hundred bucks. At least you have a year to do your homework.    

$100 with tip is pretty reasonable for a caddy (The rate at the club where I caddy at is ($80 with tip). I appreciate the tip on golf pass as well something to think about.

Forum Reviews: 

On 10/19/2020 at 7:22 AM, CarlH said:

I haven't played there in many moons, but Charleston National is quite nice.  Also, Crowfield in Goose Creek was a pretty nice course when I played there.  Snee Farm was my home club when I lived there, but that was a private club then.  May be different now.

Yep I played Charleston National a couple of years ago great course on of my Buds was one of the Assistant Pros there at the time

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

6 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

As nice as it is I could not justify the greens fee. I played it about 10 or 12 years ago with a friend that had a hook up. Forgot what it cost. But it was a great experience. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

19 hours ago, BIG STU said:

As nice as it is I could not justify the greens fee. I played it about 10 or 12 years ago with a friend that had a hook up. Forgot what it cost. But it was a great experience. 

Exactly... I was complaining last year when Caledonia in Myrtle Beach charged me $200.00 to play.  Granted very nice courses are nice to play but you don't have to take advantage of people because you are a top 100 course. They actually had the FinnCycles there so I was all in until they charged me a cart fee of $35 to $40.00 then they wanted on top of that another $40 for the bike. "No thanks"  I rode it around the parking lot just to try it. 

15 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Exactly... I was complaining last year when Caledonia in Myrtle Beach charged me $200.00 to play.  Granted very nice courses are nice to play but you don't have to take advantage of people because you are a top 100 course. They actually had the FinnCycles there so I was all in until they charged me a cart fee of $35 to $40.00 then they wanted on top of that another $40 for the bike. "No thanks"  I rode it around the parking lot just to try it. 

IMHO Caledonia is not all what it is cracked up to be------ Chinese Greed is what it is--- What was funny during the Pandemic and no tourists and no Canadians the Chinese courses were suffering--- They have pissed off most of the locals--- They did away with local memberships at individual clubs and even on local golf cards at reduced rates they want to charge top dollar even if the greens have been aerated and such--- Most of the locals joined one or 2 other golf packages or single owner courses like I did. Legends group with 5 courses has the best deal followed closely by the Glenns Group.  When the pandemic hit the Chinese group temporarly closed like 6 or 7 of their courses for lack of play. My course Indigo Creek is a member of one big group but my membership is not recriprocal with the other courses. That is a seperate deal. But mostly I stay and play Indigo because that is my Happy Place at this stage of life.

Indigo is no Caledonia and the rates reflect that but for me it is the atmosphere of a local family owned and operated course. The members and overall family atmosphere is what makes it for me at this stage of life

Edited by BIG STU

G

Are you staying in the city, or in the burbs?  And how far do you feel like driving?

I'm assuming you're staying in town.  You should; Charleston is awesome.  If you're going to splurge and play the Ocean Course, consider going to the opposite end of the spectrum and play the recently renovated Charleston Muni.  The architecture illuminati are really excited about it.

https://thefriedegg.com/charleston-municipal-golf-course-renovation-seth-raynor-troy-miller/

I intend to drag my dad away from Dunes West out in Mount Pleasant for at least one round there the next time I'm down there.

I can second the nomination for Charleston National (also Mount Pleasant).  I have a soft spot for DW (my dad and I have a pretty good record in the member-guest), and it's pretty good for an Arthur Hills course.

If you can get on Yeaman's Hall, Country Club of Charleston, or Bull's Bay out in Awendaw, do it.  Dad still has not gotten me on any of these.

I've heard that Patriot's Point and Rivertowne (also Mount Pleasant) are not looking great these days.

Snee Farm (also Mount Pleasant) is still private, but if you belong to a ClubCorp club with the ONE add on or Play Away, you can get on there.

The Plantation Course at Edisto (Edisto Island) is also pretty cool if you don't mind taking a ride.  Eat at the Old Post Office restaurant and get the shrimp and grits.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

10 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Are you staying in the city, or in the burbs?  And how far do you feel like driving?

I'm assuming you're staying in town.  You should; Charleston is awesome.  If you're going to splurge and play the Ocean Course, consider going to the opposite end of the spectrum and play the recently renovated Charleston Muni.  The architecture illuminati are really excited about it.

https://thefriedegg.com/charleston-municipal-golf-course-renovation-seth-raynor-troy-miller/

I intend to drag my dad away from Dunes West out in Mount Pleasant for at least one round there the next time I'm down there.

I can second the nomination for Charleston National (also Mount Pleasant).  I have a soft spot for DW (my dad and I have a pretty good record in the member-guest), and it's pretty good for an Arthur Hills course.

If you can get on Yeaman's Hall, Country Club of Charleston, or Bull's Bay out in Awendaw, do it.  Dad still has not gotten me on any of these.

I've heard that Patriot's Point and Rivertowne (also Mount Pleasant) are not looking great these days.

Snee Farm (also Mount Pleasant) is still private, but if you belong to a ClubCorp club with the ONE add on or Play Away, you can get on there.

The Plantation Course at Edisto (Edisto Island) is also pretty cool if you don't mind taking a ride.  Eat at the Old Post Office restaurant and get the shrimp and grits.

Right now nothing is booked officially. The plan is to get there a few days early and stay in an air bnb and then only stay in the hotel which is in the city for the night of the wedding. 

All good course recommendations and I will be sure to look them up and plan accordingly. 

Forum Reviews: 

If you want restaurant recommendations, let us know.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

So to help out, i live in Charleston and more specifically, Dunes West.

• I do enjoy dunes west as it is right here in my neighborhood. They maintain it well, very playable (wide  enough fairways) .Will cost abt $100 (standard for the area).
  • Kiawah and its courses are VERY nice. doesnt matter where you play, they all are maintained to a very high standard. Of course the Ocean Course gets the attention but Osprey is beautiful and fun, Cougar, turtle, and Oak are great too. The Ocean Course will definitely cost you more money and also requires a caddie. Book well in advance bc peak season is busy.
  • There are 2 courses on Seabrook island as well towards Kiawah but i have not played them or heard a whole lot. I would suspect they are well maintaiend like Kiawah.
  • Charleston National is a fun layout but i think it has gotten too expensive for what it is. Kinda fallen off my radar.
  • Stono Ferry is reasonable. Has a few holes along the Stono River.
  • The Municipal course WAS pretty good. They revamped the course and d I personally think its one of the worst. Yes its cheap but the fairways are tight and the green are awful. You can very easily get stuck behind very slow groups bc it stays very very busyy; especially on weekends if its nice out.
  • Patriots Point is right off the Cooper Bridge into Mt. Pleasant.Nothing real special but i convenient and has 2-3 challenging holes to close it out; especially if the wind is coming off the harbor. 

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

On 3/8/2021 at 10:17 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

My bud used to be the assistant at Charleston National. From time to time there were some informal vintage tournaments there and I would go down there and play. In fact a certain set of Hogan Grinds made an appearence there one time. Got a hookup about 10 years ago and played Snee Farm fantastic course. In the past we used to play Bulls Bay some had a little Calcutta thing going along with some side action but that has been a while. Yep some of us South Strand boys used to meet up with the Charleston crowd there and go at it. My bud is no longer at Charleston National and the informal vintage get togethers has died out with I sadly suspect some of the participants

Yep Shrimp and Grits a Low Country staple--- My wife has learned to make it well

G