Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Swing-Weight Help

Should the swing-weight be the same for all my clubs?

What method do you use to find the best swing-weight for you?

I've seen people have the same weight for different club groups (Woods, irons/Hybrid, Wedges).

I just figured out my weights: 

D - C9.8

3W - C9.5

H21° - C8.5

5i - C9.1

6i - D0.2 (this isn't a typo) balance point to Grip end with this shaft is pretty short

7i - D3.8

8i - D4.8

9i - D4.1

PW - D3.0

54° - D4.4

58° - D6.0

Driver:  :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik Max 9° neutral weight setting - Shaft: Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60S, length 44.75"

Wood:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 3 wood 13° - Shaft: (Stock) Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 19°-21° - Shaft: (Stock) UST Recoil 480 ESX F4

Irons: :cobra-small: 5-PW Cobra King SZ - Shaft: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105

Wedges: :vokey-small: Titleist Vokey SM8 54°, 58° - Shaft: (Stock) Wedge Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small: Scotty Cameron X12, length 34"

:Clicgear: Rovic RV1S

The same swingweight throughout the set that matches the players swing and tempo should result in more consistent results.  What that swingweight is depends on the person, and that's why a good fitter is needed.  

Some fitters think that there should be a slight change in swingweight throughout the set with the driver being the lightest club; irons a little heavier, and wedges the heaviest since they are also used for partial shots.

Some fitters are using MOI matching instead of swingweight, but I haven't looked into that.  My clubs are around D0-D1 except wedges which are D4.  I don't make full shots with my SW or LW.

It all depends on how the club feels to you and what gives the best performance.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

27 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

The same swingweight throughout the set that matches the players swing and tempo should result in more consistent results.  What that swingweight is depends on the person, and that's why a good fitter is needed.  

Some fitters think that there should be a slight change in swingweight throughout the set with the driver being the lightest club; irons a little heavier, and wedges the heaviest since they are also used for partial shots.

Some fitters are using MOI matching instead of swingweight, but I haven't looked into that.  My clubs are around D0-D1 except wedges which are D4.  I don't make full shots with my SW or LW.

It all depends on how the club feels to you and what gives the best performance.

Although I had a full bag fitting, me and the fitter went separate ways before I could complete the process (never went back for a gapping session nor has he seen me hit my new irons because).  I haven't found a new one yet.  I'm working on finishing my set build now. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik Max 9° neutral weight setting - Shaft: Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60S, length 44.75"

Wood:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 3 wood 13° - Shaft: (Stock) Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 19°-21° - Shaft: (Stock) UST Recoil 480 ESX F4

Irons: :cobra-small: 5-PW Cobra King SZ - Shaft: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105

Most manufacturers list the default swingweight for their clubs on their websites.   That would be a good reference to see how manufacturers build sets.   Generally they progress from lightest (driver) to heaviest (wedges).  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

16 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Most manufacturers list the default swingweight for their clubs on their websites.   That would be a good reference to see how manufacturers build sets.   Generally they progress from lightest (driver) to heaviest (wedges).  

Thanks for the information, I just looked at cobras website.  I see what they list for swing weight.  I'm assuming since I have custom shafts, thats why my weights are different.   Whats most concerning is my weights are consistent. 

7 minutes ago, Urbs_Valhalla said:

Thanks for the information, I just looked at cobras website.  I see what they list for swing weight.  I'm assuming since I have custom shafts, thats why my weights are different.   Whats most concerning is my weights are consistent. 

Shafts with impact swingweight,  but to be honest yours are all over the place and it looks like whomever changed them out didn't do a good job.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Shafts with impact swingweight,  but to be honest yours are all over the place and it looks like whomever changed them out didn't do a good job.  

Another reason why I'm looking for a new club fitter.

• 2 weeks later...

The 5 and 6 irons are out there.    7-PW are D3-D4 which isn't bad.  The wedges are typically a little heavier, so they aren't bad either.  If you like the feel of 7-PW, you could get the 5 and 6 fixed so they are in the D3-D4 range.  

According to Google which is never, ever wrong, heh, your Callaway driver swingweight with stock shaft, grip, etc  is D2, ok.   If you had your driver re-gripped and had wraps of tape added to thicken the new grip, albeit a lot of tape, this would decrease the swingweight.   Shortening the shaft will decrease the swingweight too

Old school trick is adding lead tape to the head or grip end to adjust swingweight.  2 grams is the equivalent of 1 swingweight.     

Here is a link some swingweight info.

https://www.thediygolfer.com/swing-weighting-101/

In the end, it is all about the right feel for you.

If you enjoy working with your hands and have space to work, I'd encourage you to look into start doing your own repairs, it is actually quite satisfying and rewarding.   Like anything, it will take a little time, (and money), but if I can do it, anybody can.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2020 at 3:40 PM, Urbs_Valhalla said:

I've seen people have the same weight for different club groups (Woods, irons/Hybrid, Wedges).

D - C9.8

3W - C9.5

H21° - C8.5

5i - C9.1

6i - D0.2 (this isn't a typo) balance point to Grip end with this shaft is pretty short

7i - D3.8

8i - D4.8

9i - D4.1

PW - D3.0

54° - D4.4

58° - D6.0

I am late to this thread but I am curious what you are using to measure the swing weight.  The .1, .4, .8 granularity is way better than I can get with my antique golfworks scale.  The best I can 'see' is about a 1/2 swingweight and that is even sketchy since the weight on the bar can twist ever so slightly to throw that off.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I am late to this thread but I am curious what you are using to measure the swing weight.  The .1, .4, .8 granularity is way better than I can get with my antique golfworks scale.  The best I can 'see' is about a 1/2 swingweight and that is even sketchy since the weight on the bar can twist ever so slightly to throw that off.

My guess would be a digital swingweight scale.

On 10/14/2020 at 12:40 PM, Urbs_Valhalla said:

D - C9.8

3W - C9.5

H21° - C8.5

5i - C9.1

7i - D3.8

8i - D4.8

9i - D4.1

PW - D3.0

54° - D4.4

58° - D6.0

The weight measurements of your clubs brings up more questions than answers. What shafts, lengths, grips and lie angles are you using in those clubs? 

If I had to guess, lighter shafts in the 5 & 6 irons?

Guessing, the other irons are slightly over standard length of really flat lie angle?

The woods, guessing still, slightly short or larger grip with more wraps?

A MOI matched set will progress from lightest swing weight to heaviest in the short clubs with a pretty smooth increase - not what you have. 

Finding the "right" sw for you comes down to many factors that your fitter takes into account. Std length, lie, and steel shafts from most OEMs comes out to about D2. Lighter shaft, shorter length, extremely upright lie, or heavier grips all lower the measured swing weight. Heavier shaft, longer length, extremely flat lie, or lighter grips all increase the swing weight. 

The swing weight is a reference point to the balance of the shaft 14" from the grip end. Adding/subtracting weight in different places will change the feel differently than what a swing weight scale might say - moi matching is an example of different swing weights but a consistent feel. 

So, you asked how to find the right Swing weight. One way, you take your favorite, most consistent, and most reliable club you have and ask the fitter to make them all like that as a starting point. 

As for swing weights all matching: in the irons it makes the most sense because they all have the same shaft usually. But, when you switch to longer lengths and lighter shafts in hybrids, woods, and driver then it is a new normal that can have a different swing weight for you. And, wedges are typically a little heavier for control and consistency.

Lastly, moi is not affected much at all by the weight of the grip but, swing weight is affected by the weight of the grip. This further confuses the issue. But, it is easily solved if all the grips are the same. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg