Swinkey: The Golfer's Toolbox - REVIEW

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Swinkey: The Golfer's Toolbox – REVIEW

An Official MyGolfSpy.com Review

http://www.swinkey.com//

IMG_1925.jpg

The Golfer's Swiss Army Knife

When is the last time that you have completely emptied out your golf bags? Not “bag” but “bags”. You know, the one you take the course and the others that are hiding in the garage filled with golf goodness. If you are like me, the search for a good swing has filled those bags with multiple training aids. The sad truth for me is that many of those training aids spend most of their lives in the garage. It is just too much of a pain to drag a bunch of them to the range each time. Wouldn't it be great if you could have on training tool that takes the place of the ones in the garage and is easy to take with you to the course? Enter the Swinkey.

If you take a bit of time to cruise through the Swinkey website, you will see that there are dozen's of ways that you can use this tool. It can help with conditioning, stretching, alignment, ball position, swing plane, putting alignment, grooving your putting stroke, camera monopod, club protector, and so on. While this list is impressive, for the Swinkey to be a useful tool for the golfer it doesn't just have to do these things, but do them well.

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

Once again, the system that I am using to rank the training tool will be based upon the PGA guidelines for teaching professionals.

Specifically, these five criteria:

1. Validity: Is the device designed for something really important to success in the swing or the game?
  2. Reliability: Does the device provide consistent results when used in the same manner?
  3. Simplicity: Is the device easy to use and understand by the instructor and the learner?
  4. Durability: If the teaching aid is used regularly, is it made well enough so that it won't require early replacement?
  5. Cost Effectiveness: Are the product's benefits worth the price?

The Swinkey that I have in for review is the AimPoint model. This model has a AimPoint specific wrap that adds features that allows one to practice putting using the AimPoint charts and techniques.

IMG_1927.jpg

Validity (20 Points)

Is the device designed for something really important to success in the swing or the game?

This category is almost laughable to score. Just look at the list of things that the Swinkey does. One could argue that a monopod is not relevant to the golf swing. Although, someone who has tried to film his or her swing while balancing a camera on some foreign object may think otherwise. The Swinkey addresses more components of the swing than any other tool that I have encountered.

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

Validity Score: 20/20

Reliability (20 Points)

Does the device provide consistent results when used in the same manner?

The Swinkey is very easy to use correctly. Take a look at these photos of the Swinkey set up to help with ball position. All you need to do is take the metal stakes and alignment sticks out of the Swinkey and slide one of the alignment sticks through the hole in the center of the Swinkey.

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

For me, this has been a great help with ball position, which tends to wander a bit during my unassisted practice. The results are consistent because it is not that complicated to use. Even with so many different uses.

Reliability Score: 20/20

Simplicity

Is the device easy to use and understand by the instructor and the learner?

One of the great things about the Swinkey is that in spite of it doing so many different things it is simple in construction. With the exception of the elastic putting cord, everything fits inside of the Swinkey. You just unscrew the top and take out the components that you need for whatever you are working on. What could be simpler than just swinging the Swinkey as a weighted club?

IMG_1942.jpg

The cool thing about even this feature is you can change the weight by removing various numbers of rods and spikes from the inside of the Swinkey. Super simple. Even setting up the more complicated configurations for plane drills is not that complicated. Take out the spikes, stick them in the Swinkey, then stick the spikes into the ground. Easy.

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

Simplicity Score: 20/20

Durability

If the teaching aid is used regularly, is it made well enough so that it won't require early replacement?

I don't anticipate the Swinkey wearing out anytime soon. There are no moving parts. The materials used in construction are high quality. Obviously, a strike into the alignment pole or the [Swinkey itself with a club can do some damage. But outside of that accidental impact, I really don't see how you can wear this thing out. One other nod to quality for me is that fact that the grips on the end of the Swinkey are manufactured by Pure Grips. Their grips are known for their longevity and definitely enhance the longevity of the Swinkey.

IMG_1929.jpg

Durability Score 20/20

Cost Effectiveness (20 Points)

Are the product's benefits worth the price?

The basic model of the Swinkey sells for $99.99 with the AimPoint version selling for $119.99. The AimPoint version comes with a different wrap and an additional cord and stake that are used with the Aimpoint drills. (If you are interested in the AimPoint drills you can see them HERE.)

Being that not everyone has taken the AimPoint class, I will stick with the standard version for value scoring. It seems like all of the training aids that I review cost about $100. I paid that for my Orange Whip. Tour Strikers run about that price. Where I think that Swinkey stands out though is when you explore all of the different things that the Swinkey can do. Here is a quick shopping cart that I put together from a major retailer just to match the weighted club, alignment sticks, and the putting alignment components of the Swinkey.

swinkey_Comp.jpg

You can easily jump above the price of the Swinkey if you start buying other tools to match the Swinkey's functions. Couple this with the durability/longevity of the Swinkey and the pricing is very spot on.

Cost Effectiveness Score 20/20

Total Score: 100/100

SUMMARY

So the scoring of this review suggests that the Swinkey is the perfect training tool. Obviously the Swinkey won't give you a perfect swing. However, I have never seen another tool that is as versatile as the Swinkey. It does a whole bunch of things and it does them well. I feel confident in the scoring and after you buy and use your Swinkey, I think that you will agree with me.

IMG_1928.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Very interesting device......If I had one, I would not have time to play as I would be using the Swinkey to warm up!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• SPY VIP

One question, does it work off of matts well?

It does work well off mats. Not so well for the configurations where you have to drive the stakes into the ground, but fine for everything else. It was extra helpful for the ball position on the mat because there is no divot to use as a reference point.

Volvo Intorqueo

• 1 year later...

@GolfSpyDave This is one of the best Swinkey reviews I've seen since I picked up my first Swinkey a few years ago. In order to give the readers of this review a look at a custom Swinkey versus the AimPoint, I've attached these four photos of my personal "Swinkey Stealth" that I had Brian include the putting option (extra stake and rope) found in your AimPoint edition. I have two other Swinkey's that had Lamkin grips initially and as everyone is finding out, these Pure grips are becoming one of the most popular grips and rightly so.

Swinkey Stealth 1.JPG

Swinkey Stealth 2.JPG

Putting Trainer Option.JPG

Pure Grip.JPG

Matt

Matt Stansfield, Stansfield Golf

PGA of Canada Professional

E. [email protected]

T. twitter.com/stansfieldgolf

W. www.stansfieldgolf.com

• SPY VIP

Awesome! Thanks for the extra photos. The Swinkey is still the training tool that goes to the range every time. Since the review, I have been using the monopod ability quite a bit. What a great tool!

Volvo Intorqueo

As you said in your review, most people wouldn't see the benefit in having the camera mount/monopod feature but once you've used it, you'll see the benefits; having the ability to capture video whether it's capturing swings or you're doing reviews is a huge asset.

Matt

Matt Stansfield, Stansfield Golf

PGA of Canada Professional

E. [email protected]

T. twitter.com/stansfieldgolf

W. www.stansfieldgolf.com

Archived