Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Putting stance

Just started putting with a very slightly open stance. I have been noticing lately that I was doing it naturally, so finally I've stopped fighting it. I've been noticeably more accurate, and pace hasn't been affected at all. 

Anyone else try using an open putting stance? What's your success, or lack thereof? 

John Russell

Irons: stiff shaft, standard loft/lie Nike VRS Covert 2 4-pw

Driver: 10 deg, stiff shaft Ping G400 

3/5 woods: Adam's Tight Lies 2 with stiff shafts.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 33inch

Wedges: Cleveland CBX 56deg, and Cleveland 588RTX 60deg.

Ball: I'm loving the Titleist DT TruSoft. It seems to be stopping on the greens well, and feels soft and pure on even a decent strike. 

I tried just about every putting stance there is.  Even made up my own... I call it the... well nothing because I didn’t work.

Right now, my set up is much similar to the great putter Ricky Fowler, or at least that’s what my feel is.  Standing up a bit straighter with my arms closer to my body seems to work for me, even Arccos agrees (best part of my game).

My all time favorite golfer, Seve used an open stance for putting.  I used it for half a season, it worked but I was pushing everything.  Use what works. 👍🏼

I putted with an open stance ala Jack for years, and I did pretty well but considering how bad I was, that's not saying much!!  I'm right eye dominant putting RH, and opening my stance allowed me to get a better look down the line of the putt.

I have since switch to a square setup because I line up the ball to the line I want, then line up my putter to the line on the ball.  I don't look at the ball when I putt; I look at the hole.  I'm trusting my read, and I can better gauge distance than I can looking at the ball when I putt.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There is an actual purpose for our setup with all clubs; including the putter. I was taught that the setup is based on how you best see the line. That stance can be open, closed, square. Ball
Position can be up, middle back. I can also be under you eyes or farther away. The purpose is to match up what you are seeing to your subconscious. If you have the wrong perception, you body will try to make corrections.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've read and heard about that also....literally different strokes for different folks! I guess the thing is just being aware and consistent with your practice. 

John Russell

Irons: stiff shaft, standard loft/lie Nike VRS Covert 2 4-pw

Driver: 10 deg, stiff shaft Ping G400 

3/5 woods: Adam's Tight Lies 2 with stiff shafts.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 33inch

Wedges: Cleveland CBX 56deg, and Cleveland 588RTX 60deg.

Ball: I'm loving the Titleist DT TruSoft. It seems to be stopping on the greens well, and feels soft and pure on even a decent strike. 

I've read and heard about that also....literally different strokes for different folks! I guess the thing is just being aware and consistent with your practice. 

Consistency is key. Also, don’t make adjustments based on single results. Control the things you can control; the ball doesn’t always go in the hole. If you miss right on the first hole, don’t make adjustments on the second hole. If the miss happens over several holes then you may want to look back at the stroke that is happening that day.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@Johndrussell727 I second @cnosil that you want to match up your setup to what fits your sight picture to start the ball on the right line without manipulation. 

TXG had a great video with Gareth Raflewski where he helped Matt setup where he could start the ball on the right line better. I think this is the video: 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

[mention=102236]Johndrussell727[/mention] I second [mention=15174]cnosil[/mention] that you want to match up your setup to what fits your sight picture to start the ball on the right line without manipulation. 
TXG had a great video with Gareth Raflewski where he helped Matt setup where he could start the ball on the right line better. I think this is the video: 

some other good videos about this topic are when Mike Malaska does guest spot on the Be Better golf YouTube channel. I hate the channel, but Mike provides great info. Here is one if the videos, you can search the channel for the others that he did.

12 hours ago, cnosil said:

some other good videos about this topic are when Mike Malaska does guest spot on the Be Better golf YouTube channel. I hate the channel, but Mike provides great info. Here is one if the videos, you can search the channel for the others that he did.

Mike is a man's man. He used to be a big baseball guy so, I remember a lot of his references to baseball. I am completely opposite - I was never into sports, I was never built physically, and my prevalent shape has always been round. Mike doesn't resonate with me as much because I just can't follow the path of how he arrived at what he knows. I respect him and, I used to watch his videos. Now I stick to TXG and the old videos of Jack, Phil, and Seve exclusively. Everyone else just seems to be a distraction for me. 

Remember, all the people who say they want to get in shape --- round is a shape!!!

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

What ever works for you, stick with it. I only found out recently that the putter I am using is toe balance which in theory is for a curved putting stroke but I am straight back and through. However putting is one I am really good at so who really knows.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

On 10/16/2020 at 9:57 AM, cnosil said:

I like Mike!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”