TESTERS WANTED! ×

How do you motivate yourself to keep improving?

Tanky

I'd love to hear from other hackers what you do to stay motivated when the going gets tough?

Since i'm a proud golf bum aka thrift store7udget golfer, every-time I break into a new HCP segment I buy something new/fitted.

When I broke 20, I bought, new Adidas shoes, when I broke 15 I got a fitted Cobra driver. Breaking 10 will mean some new cutlery (irons) for me...

🤙

When I'm in the doldrums, I'll try something different.  I'll play with a half-set, or classic clubs, or play match play against someone without keeping stroke play score.  Just shake things up.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

9 hours ago, Tanky said:

I'd love to hear from other hackers what you do to stay motivated when the going gets tough?

Since i'm a proud golf bum aka thrift store7udget golfer, every-time I break into a new HCP segment I buy something new/fitted.

When I broke 20, I bought, new Adidas shoes, when I broke 15 I got a fitted Cobra driver. Breaking 10 will mean some new cutlery (irons) for me...

That is a great question!  I will be following to see others answers. Golf is a wonderful game, but it can definitely produce some lows especially in competition. For me, I always try to look at everything as a learning experience. I love practice, so I typically work it out in that manner.  Hitting balls in the garage after work has always been a great stress reliever after work. Improvement in golf never seems to be linear either. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

It is just in my nature to want to keep improving. Nothing special required except money to take lessons and get equipment that fits me better.

My struggle comes when the improvement isn’t visible. My short game would fall into this category. The result is disappointment and frustration. When this happens I just try to change my focus to the overall enjoyment of the game, being outdoors, and spending time with friends. This resets my mentality and then I go back to working on improvements

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 hours ago, Tanky said:

That's kind of a cool way to stay on your game! When I was younger my dad would pay me to read personal improvement books, or let me get new shoes if I got a certain amount of jump shots in, and it definitely worked for me haha.

For my game right now though, it's been easy enough motivation just knowing that I can be a lot better than I am. If/once I hit a plateau, I might need to get creative!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

It is just in my nature to want to keep improving. Nothing special required except money to take lessons and get equipment that fits me better.

My struggle comes when the improvement isn’t visible. My short game would fall into this category. The result is disappointment and frustration. When this happens I just try to change my focus to the overall enjoyment of the game, being outdoors, and spending time with friends. This resets my mentality and then I go back to working on improvements

Interesting topic and I like your response. I had great expectations at the beginning of the season - starting at a 22.5 index, I worked at all aspects of the game + a fitting and new irons, resulting in a drop to an 18 at one point. But recently, I've gone back up, scoring in the high 90's,  resulting in an index hovering around 19. I know golf improvement is not linear, and that part is frustrating. Maybe I will take your advice and just go out and have fun and not pay attention to the score.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Interesting topic and I like your response. I had great expectations at the beginning of the season - starting at a 22.5 index, I worked at all aspects of the game + a fitting and new irons, resulting in a drop to an 18 at one point. But recently, I've gone back up, scoring in the high 90's,  resulting in an index hovering around 19. I know golf improvement is not linear, and that part is frustrating. Maybe I will take your advice and just go out and have fun and not pay attention to the score.  

I truly believe that how people deal with this is tied to their personality. I really want to get better and I have a path to get there. You’ve read enough of my posts to know that shortgame is my weakness. I can’t dwell over a few bad rounds since as you said improvement isn’t linear. When I get frustrated, I just have to take a step back and not push for the improvement. Remember, hitting bad shots are part of the path to improvement.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I pay for lessons or memberships in advance so I am financially committed. Keeps me turning up each week because I'd be wasting my money if I didn't. 

Edited by Nateyeight

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

I’m by nature entirely too competitive, so until I break par consistently I will not be satisfied. That being said, I make note of positives from every round. It’s easy to beat myself up over the bad shots but it’s the good ones that keep you going back. What did I do well in hitting that approach shot? How do I replicate the physical and mental approach of that moment to get more consistent? To me, that’s just fun. 

I was just talking to a former golfer who is playing D1 golf about this yesterday. He said it perfectly. “No one makes it to the next level unless they fall in love with the process.” Find your joy in improving, grab it by the reins, and run with it. If you’re not having fun you’re doing it wrong. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I truly believe that how people deal with this is tied to their personality. I really want to get better and I have a path to get there. 

I agree with cnosil on being tied to your personality. But I will add in your desire to improve has a big role as well. Twenty years ago I started to take it seriously. I broke everything down into stages. The quickest way to low scoring is in your short game. So I broke down the short game into stages.

1) Never three putt.

So I built a golf green at my house in the most economical fashion I could. I would practice putting drills and then challenge myself.  " You can't go in for dinner until you make three 10 foot putts in a row." I would do this for a few weeks and then increase the distance once I was consistent. You don't need a golf green you can get a putting matt. 

2) Chip it close

I would practice landing chips on a beach towel, then a smaller bath towel, then a golf towel. So if I can chip it close in theory I will one putt.  Same game, hit  3 or 6 on the towel before I could leave practice. Then I would move this challenge to the golf holes on my green. Can't leave until I hole one. Then increase distance.

3) Pitch it close 

I would stick an old umbrella opened and upside down into the ground to be my bucket. Pitch shots into the umbrella.

4) Get out of the bunker

I would practice bunker shots until I always got out in one. Then I moved to trying to land on a golf towel out of the sand. 

You get the idea. Break everything down into stages and only work on one at a time. You can take the same approach with all parts of the game. The biggest mistake I see people make is trying to work on everything at the same time. It's like when you were young and learning your ABC's  You start out with a few letters and add on to your knowledge base. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

[mention=92161]Tanky[/mention] I did the same: I bought new clubs once I broke 80. My problem is when I don’t “feel” like I’m improving: I think[mention=15174] cnosil[/mention] mentioned this but measuring myself subjectively, I felt like I plateaued this year. The data suggests otherwise, and I’m happy to have tangible evidence to judge. I haven’t had a lesson in 2 years, but my instructor wrote down each lessons takeaway/lesson for me to review. So there’s always something for me to revisit: this winter I’ll be working on the length of backswing ( to improve accuracy) and my head/spine angle throughout my swing. My personality is one where I have to know how good I can be at something, and I’m still chasing my 1st ever under par round and the fabled scratch golfer moniker: lately I’m telling myself that the improvements from now on are going to be much, much smaller, and to trust the data(arccos) to gauge my improvement or regression.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

For me, for anything I am really interested in, I want to be good at whatever that thing is, and therefore am motivated to improve.

When I feel bad about a bad shot or a bad round, I always have to remind myself that golf is hard. Even Rory chunks one in the water once in a while. If a Tour pro can hit that same terrible shot that I hit (although I do it way more frequently), i don't feel so bad.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I agree with cnosil on being tied to your personality. But I will add in your desire to improve has a big role as well. Twenty years ago I started to take it seriously. I broke everything down into stages. The quickest way to low scoring is in your short game. So I broke down the short game into stages.

1) Never three putt.

So I built a golf green at my house in the most economical fashion I could. I would practice putting drills and then challenge myself.  " You can't go in for dinner until you make three 10 foot putts in a row." I would do this for a few weeks and then increase the distance once I was consistent. You don't need a golf green you can get a putting matt. 

2) Chip it close

I would practice landing chips on a beach towel, then a smaller bath towel, then a golf towel. So if I can chip it close in theory I will one putt.  Same game, hit  3 or 6 on the towel before I could leave practice. Then I would move this challenge to the golf holes on my green. Can't leave until I hole one. Then increase distance.

3) Pitch it close 

I would stick an old umbrella opened and upside down into the ground to be my bucket. Pitch shots into the umbrella.

4) Get out of the bunker

I would practice bunker shots until I always got out in one. Then I moved to trying to land on a golf towel out of the sand. 

You get the idea. Break everything down into stages and only work on one at a time. You can take the same approach with all parts of the game. The biggest mistake I see people make is trying to work on everything at the same time. It's like when you were young and learning your ABC's  You start out with a few letters and add on to your knowledge base. 

Solid advice. Getting "better" means improving a thousand skills, and this is a good set of them to improve the overall score. 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

There is tons of good advice on this thread so far. Here's my two cents: 

Half of getting better is in your head, and the better you get, the worse sometimes it seems you will do. Once upon a time bogey golf was something I was truly proud of. Now, I feel frustrated with the times I miss one and pay for it. 

The biggest change in getting from 90's to 70's was changing my mindset. Positive thinking won't do anything for you, but it will let you do anything better than negative thinking will. Today when I flub a shot, I laugh and think "I know I'm better than that," rather than getting mad at it happening. I listened to a Zig Ziglar thing once where he said you can't see how to get to your goal in the beginning, but start working, go as far as you can, and when you get there you will be able to see a little further. 

Good luck, and I love the reward system! Stsrt looking for those irons now, and every swing, know you're getting closer to hitting your next shot with them. 🙌

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

One of the best mental tips I ever received applies to golf but also to life. 

“Be careful what you think, your thoughts steer your life.”

As a hovering 3-8 handicap, I acknowledge that there will be doubles, missed greens and 3 putts. Keeping perspective and managing my expectations of my own game, I can let a missed opportunity or a poor shot go. If I remind myself to say hey, clean slate on this shot, the opportunity to make a good swing is better in a positive mindset. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I love this topic.  Its great to see all the different ideas and opinions.

For me, the reason I started to get into golf was that it was something new and its like a puzzle.  I'm a fan of science and math and have always gravitated toward things that make you think and work things out. 

So my motivation is to solve the puzzle.  Golf, at least for me, is one that might never be solved like the Riemann Hypothesis.  I just keep working at it waiting for the small breakthroughs that come up every once in a while, that chip in from 10 yards off the green or that 30 foot putt that falls in the cup. 

I don't have any one thing that I do to motivate myself, it's just my OCD that compels me to keep going! 😆

Just tap it in.  Lil' taparoo.

:honma: TW747 460 10.5° Vizard stiff

:adams-small: 4 Hybrid

:Sub70: 699 5-Aw; KBS Tour-V 90 Stiff

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 58°

:taylormade-small: Spider Interactive

My key to improvement is to let myself get really bad then improve back to my baseline. 🤣 With the kids getting more active in more things, my only real option is to be content with a plateau for a while. 

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

this is an awesome topic!

@cnosil that’s a great take - that everyone’s approach to the game and improvement speaks to their personality. 

i’m a life long athlete. D1 and semi pro baseball, nationally ranked weightlifter in my mid-late 20s. i’ve never taken on any athletic pursuit recreationally, i always want to figure out how to maximize my potential at whatever i’m doing. 

i held off on golf for a number of years even though my dad wanted me to play. i pretty quickly found out how far raw athletic ability can take me, and now i have to figure out how to actually play golf

what i’ve always done in training is when i hit a plateau or can’t seem to make any progress, is i find one small facet and try to get 1% better at it during each training session. 

walking away from practice with a positive, no matter how small, is a great feeling. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Love it great topic. As other have alluded to I am just competitive by blood. Runs in the family I think. My drive to get better is to beat the next person that’s better than me. Of course started with my dad. Sorry dad @Placasse61but after that first win I cannot think of another time since then that he has 😂. So on down the line. My uncle Tim was always that person to beat in the family. Close to scratch golfer and as of late has been struggling a little but I beat him for the first time 2 weeks ago. Next up will be my cousin Dave who is really good, we’ll see if I can do it.

i do like this adaption of buying yourself something at increments, that’s a good drive. Like others on here I’m a CH now and I see shiny stuff 😂

love the topic

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

20 hours ago, Tanky said:

I keep my score cards to motivate myself and see where I need improving. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

As many others have said being a bit competitive has helped me. Like many first I wanted to beat my dad, then move up the ranks in my high school team, and now more try to beat my best. It took some time personally to transition to this mentality after competing throughout college. I think joining a league or something of the like would be great. 

Also for those that have mentioned mental improvement I really like the books by Dr. Bob Rotella. He has few and they are all short but have some great tips that I like to read from time to time to keep my mind in the right place.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Nowadays the main thing I think about is enjoyment and fun. Yes I like to improve so every now and then I get a lesson or I video my swing and compare it to a video of my swing from 10 years ago. It is amazing what changes as you get older and in my case I had a painful illness for 5 years which meant I developed so interesting habits.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

On 10/16/2020 at 12:25 PM, Tanky said:

I am lucky as I never really think about the previous hole. Can't do anything about it now. My biggest issue is loosing concentration. Two factors seem to affect me, usually when I am playing well, it happens on the 13-14 hole, you know you have 26-28 points after 12 and when you leave 14 you are still 28-30 points. It usually takes a few holes before I finally start thinking again.

The second is slow play, if I have to wait more than a few minutes to play a shot off the fairway I usually stuff it up.

Edited by Firebird

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

On 10/17/2020 at 5:17 AM, jddaigneault said:

I’m by nature entirely too competitive, so until I break par consistently I will not be satisfied. That being said, I make note of positives from every round. It’s easy to beat myself up over the bad shots but it’s the good ones that keep you going back. What did I do well in hitting that approach shot? How do I replicate the physical and mental approach of that moment to get more consistent? To me, that’s just fun. 

I was just talking to a former golfer who is playing D1 golf about this yesterday. He said it perfectly. “No one makes it to the next level unless they fall in love with the process.” Find your joy in improving, grab it by the reins, and run with it. If you’re not having fun you’re doing it wrong. 

I assume you read the Zen Golf book! hahahah

Was a great eye opener for me.

🤙

On 10/16/2020 at 4:39 PM, bens197 said:

One of the best mental tips I ever received applies to golf but also to life. 

“Be careful what you think, your thoughts steer your life.”

As a hovering 3-8 handicap, I acknowledge that there will be doubles, missed greens and 3 putts. Keeping perspective and managing my expectations of my own game, I can let a missed opportunity or a poor shot go. If I remind myself to say hey, clean slate on this shot, the opportunity to make a good swing is better in a positive mindset. 

I listened to a great podcast recently, one from Golf Science Lab and they had a mental coach on.  He made a great point about not trying to force positive thinking.  Too frequently, we hear that you must have a positive attitude over the ball; that we can't hit a shot if we have a negative thought.  And then we wind up worrying about the way we think, in addition to everything else we worry about on the golf course.  He suggested that we just accept negative thoughts like everything else, and just let them wash over us.  Let it come, let it go.  

My daughter did a great job of this yesterday.  She'd been stuck at the 150 yard mark of Operation 36 for a couple months now, and she puts a ton of pressure on herself.  She dealt with the pressure yesterday and canned a nice 5 footer for 36 to move up to the 200 yard level.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

6 hours ago, Tanky said:

I assume you read the Zen Golf book! hahahah

Was a great eye opener for me.

Hello Amazon...

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

6 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I listened to a great podcast recently, one from Golf Science Lab and they had a mental coach on.  He made a great point about not trying to force positive thinking.  Too frequently, we hear that you must have a positive attitude over the ball; that we can't hit a shot if we have a negative thought.  And then we wind up worrying about the way we think, in addition to everything else we worry about on the golf course.  He suggested that we just accept negative thoughts like everything else, and just let them wash over us.  Let it come, let it go.  

My daughter did a great job of this yesterday.  She'd been stuck at the 150 yard mark of Operation 36 for a couple months now, and she puts a ton of pressure on herself.  She dealt with the pressure yesterday and canned a nice 5 footer for 36 to move up to the 200 yard level.

Congrats to your Daughter!!

There is a lot of discussion on how toxic positivity can be equally detrimental as toxic negativity.  I completely agree with that premise of forcing positive thoughts...especially when it contradicts your personality traits.

If you’re into the mental game, check out Daniel Kahneman.  He is a Nobel Prize winner and a brilliant behavioral psychologist.   His book “Thinking Fast & Slow” is really fascinating and has a lot of thought provoking content that’s easily translatable into golf. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/