TESTERS WANTED! ×

Pxg worth the $$$?

mackdaddy

I have played Japanese forged irons for the last 20 years or so.  I just had a full bag fitting at Club Champion because at 60 years old I have lost lots of swing speed.  When I was last fit 10 years ago I had a 114 mph driver speed now it is just 99 mph.

The fitter was awesome.  He noticed right away that feel is everything to me.  He saw that I played KZG irons and asked me what I would like in a new set of irons.  I told him that a soft feel is number one and number two was shot making versatility.  I told him I love the feel of Japanese forgings.  I told him I have owned KZG and Miura irons but I just wanted the best set for me and cost and brand didn't matter.  I wanted the best performing and feeling clubs I could buy.  He pulled down the PXG 0311P.  I looked at him funny and he said we will use this to figure out the best shaft for me to play and then we would figure out the best head.  I hit about ten shot each with six shafts and then we knew what shaft I needed.  To my surprise I would be playing a graphite shaft Fujikura Pro 75.  I hit Miura's newest, KZG's newest, a couple Mizuno's and soon I realized the best feeling club I had hit was the PXG.  I asked to see all the numbers and dispersion pictures and the PXG had the tightest dispersion and were longer too.  Honestly, When I asked him to let me hit it again he smiled knowingly.  I was getting tired and figured the yardage would fall more in line with the others.  It didn't it stayed long and felt great.  The biggest surprise was the dispersion  tightened.   When I said we had a winner he said my smash factor was so good with the PXG's he wanted to stop as soon as I hit them with the Fujikura shaft but knew I needed to hit the Japanese forged heads to be sure I would be happy with them.  

I am truly happy with them.  They feel soft as butter and fly like a gun shot, I regained the yardage I had lost to age and lost nothing in spin rate, landing angle or playability.  The simple fact is they are expensive.  That said I expect to play about 10 years or more with them.  The price spread over 10 years is less than I will spend on balls in the same time period.  Money well spent, and at my age I have it so why not?  I have been playing them for a few weeks and had improved scores and twice broke 70.  They are workable with draws and fades, high or low trajectory.  

20201015_225950.jpg

Edited by Mackdaddy9

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

Great write up on your experience. PXG used to be really pricey. But in the past couple of years they have dropped in price to be competitive with most major OEMs. Direct to consumer like hogan, Maltby, KZG will always be cheaper. He put you into a great shaft; I have hit the Fujikura pro and it would be one of the shafts on my shortlist. Since they aren’t listed as an upgrade option for most OEMs they are an added cost.

When I tried PXGs with the MMT shaft I really liked the combo. The benefit is that it is standard in the PXG line. Dis you compare then to the Fuji Pros?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Wow that was definitely a successful and well worth it fitting!! And great point about the real (amortized) cost of the irons - puts it into good perspective.

And Congrats! on the new low scores!

I bought a set of 0211s on sale with the stock MMT shaft and am really really happy with them (switched from Apex CF16 with Recoils).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

great review! i am really liking my 0211s and for a cast club felt better than some of the forgings I hit. I really think PXG makes great quality clubs and you get what you pay for. Enjoy your golf!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

nice thanks for the review .. I need to go out and hit some PXGs

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Great write up on your experience. PXG used to be really pricey. But in the past couple of years they have dropped in price to be competitive with most major OEMs. Direct to consumer like hogan, Maltby, KZG will always be cheaper. He put you into a great shaft; I have hit the Fujikura pro and it would be one of the shafts on my shortlist. Since they aren’t listed as an upgrade option for most OEMs they are an added cost.

When I tried PXGs with the MMT shaft I really liked the combo. The benefit is that it is standard in the PXG line. Dis you compare then to the Fuji Pros?

We did try the MMT shaft.  I hit down at 7 degree angle of attack on some of my swings and the MMT did not do as well on those shots.  My standard swing the MMT was fine.  I like to flight the ball low and spin it some times and the Fugi did better then Staying straight where the MMT flared right 10 to 15 yards.

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Nice write up. After reading title I was surprised by the content. With the PXG price drops the past year or so they come in comparably priced to many OEM's and compared to Japanese models are priced lower. With the Vet discount they are a great buy. I went to a fitting and found the PXG's 0211 model the best for me. Thanks sharing. 

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X

Nice job. At almost 74 know what you mean about decreasing swing speed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

13 hours ago, Flog4 said:

Nice write up. After reading title I was surprised by the content. With the PXG price drops the past year or so they come in comparably priced to many OEM's and compared to Japanese models are priced lower. With the Vet discount they are a great buy. I went to a fitting and found the PXG's 0211 model the best for me. Thanks sharing. 

I took advantage of the Patriot plan from PXG even though I went to Club Champion and PXG charged me 1/2 price.

I should look into that sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Rick check out IDME.com they have lots of awesome deals for vets.  Then type in golf in the search.  I get balls for 1/2 price and PXG does clubs for 1/2 off there too.  You can get a custom fitter from PXG to bring their mobile fitting van to set you up too.

• 8 months later...

Just had to get this out there. I just received my new irons and went out for nine after work, all I can say is if you haven't hit them you are missing out. I have been playing AP2 same set since 2009 and hitting mid fifties now it was time to assess my clubs and swing speed. Currently playing off a 9 I went out and hit 7 of 9 greens (only playing 4 iron down) for a 2 under 34. the feel and dispersion were phenomenal. Thank you PXG! 

Driver:  1354682.jpg.947781ad00c1c4e5f79f19cf4eadb871.jpgTaylormade M1 Tour issue 10.5 tuned to 9.5 on Fujikura stiff tour spec VC 5.2 shaft

3wood: mizuno-logo-2.png.ba116ddfcdd8220b5757ea32aa6893de.pngMizuno MP-001 13degree on Pro Blue stiff shaft

3 Hybrid: Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.2ebcc3408e85d605f55dae67234dbff0.pngTitleist 19 degree on stiff NVS green shaft

Irons: 789541722_pxglogoforweb.png.aaf52761432357b00c70011f39c5d43c.png4-PW PXG 0311P (just switched from original  AP2 irons)

Wedges: Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.00a42cd35df06e74a2317779c6272575.pngVolkey 52-8 bounce, 55-11bounce, 60-8bounce 

Putter: Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.abc5ada00b774946759d12510d068bfc.png"The Money Stick" Scotty Cameron Custom Studio Select Newport 2

Ball: Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.223fcdb5cf26dca7f869a1557842a418.pngTitleist PRO V1, (currently comparing Taylormade TP5)

HDCP: 8.6

• 1 month later...

Love the write up. I was also fit for the 0311P - love them. I would be interested in your comments on your driver and fairway woods. The Epic Flash and Mavrik 3 wood.

TigerPill

Driver :   image.png.d7958db6430c53d48ab1e890144fcee7.png  Rogue ST Max 10.5 Degrees

3 Wood/5 woodimage.png.d7958db6430c53d48ab1e890144fcee7.png  Rogue ST Max

19 Degree Hybrid:image.png.5d38f343d0caf1092558753dc83992bd.png G425 

5-LW:   image.png.ddef8ede1026d2294f93865dffbbdf18.png  ZX5, Recoil 760/F3, GW, SW, LW - Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putterimage.png.84b4d7270ae3f7c5fdd6efd713fa767d.png  Tri-Hot 5k Seven 

9 hours ago, tigerpill said:

Love the write up. I was also fit for the 0311P - love them. I would be interested in your comments on your driver and fairway woods. The Epic Flash and Mavrik 3 wood.

I love the driver, it is a weapon, I hit it very straight and can hit draws and fades.  The shaft is the key for me in many respects.   The 3 wood is great off the fairway and ok off the tee.   I tend to fade it off the tee more than hit it straight.  The 5 wood is a good club but I am switching to a 3 hybrid for shots out of the rough.  I don't like to hit woods from the rough.  I get to steep.

I have been fitted for the 0211 5 wood, haven't hit their irons. Diamana S 60 reg shaft worked well, like it as well as any 5 wood I've ever hit, pretty cheap too. Would like to try the 0211 DCs with the MMTs, store is less than 3 hours away so it still could happen. 

Cobra F9 driver and 3 wood, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue regular flex 60 shafts in both. PXG 5 wood, Diamana S+ regular flex 60 shaft. Ben Hogan 4-PW irons, regular flex Recoil shafts, 70g. Ben Hogan Equalizer wedges, 48, 52, and 56 degrees, Recoil shafts. Scotty Cameron Futura 5S putter. Ping Pioneer bag. Garmin G80 range finder. Maxfli tour golf balls. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Parsons service to the  U. S. Is appreciated. His dedication to his brother and sister Marines is to be congratulated.  His story and his company’s story is a wonderful success story. 
What is not to be applauded is PXG’s horrible customer service. The incidents I’ve experienced is too long to duplicate here (I’ve written the story in other forums). 
Once you buy your clubs you’re on your own. They make a big deal about the weight system, but just try to get a particular swing weight for your irons. Even though I was told they would help me, they wanted $50 labor and $60 shipping. This was to correct their error. Then, to top it off, they actually wrote that they couldn’t guarantee all my irons would have the correct weights. 
Mr Parson, dump your service manager. Your company has the worst service policies I’ve dealt with since Comcast. I’ll be glad to provide a rundown of what your customer service policies are doing to your brand. I’m afraid your clubs will crash once the buzz wears off. When it does crash, it will be a drop off the cliff because you are not building customer loyalty. 
I was so frustrated with PXG I just sold my Gen 4 irons 6-GW and 52 & 56 wedges. I sold them for $1,200 just to get rid of them. Bye bye PXG. I’ll buy more if and win I hear the company has changed its policies and begins treating customers like customers instead of derelicts hanging around shagging range balls to save a quarter. 

Mr Parsons service to the  U. S. Is appreciated. His dedication to his brother and sister Marines is to be congratulated.  His story and his company’s story is a wonderful success story. 
What is not to be applauded is PXG’s horrible customer service. The incidents I’ve experienced is too long to duplicate here (I’ve written the story in other forums). 
Once you buy your clubs you’re on your own. They make a big deal about the weight system, but just try to get a particular swing weight for your irons. Even though I was told they would help me, they wanted $50 labor and $60 shipping. This was to correct their error. Then, to top it off, they actually wrote that they couldn’t guarantee all my irons would have the correct weights. 
Mr Parson, dump your service manager. Your company has the worst service policies I’ve dealt with since Comcast. I’ll be glad to provide a rundown of what your customer service policies are doing to your brand. I’m afraid your clubs will crash once the buzz wears off. When it does crash, it will be a drop off the cliff because you are not building customer loyalty. 
I was so frustrated with PXG I just sold my Gen 4 irons 6-GW and 52 & 56 wedges. I sold them for $1,200 just to get rid of them. Bye bye PXG. I’ll buy more if and win I hear the company has changed its policies and begins treating customers like customers instead of derelicts hanging around shagging range balls to save a quarter.