TESTERS WANTED! ×

Update: pics of goat track course VS. nicer course

Jackal

USGA! One game one rules! Play it as it lies or you're not a real golfer!!!

Oof yea that course looks rough, but if you have fun that's what's most important.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

WOW!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I’ve played some courses that have similar conditions but not quite that bad overall. Is that the only option near you? If it is a financial decision just go out and enjoy the game and play “winter” rules to get in some better spots.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'd pay $15 to play there. 

No more than that, though.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

21 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I'd pay $15 to play there. 

No more than that, though.

You would have to pay me 😂 I don’t see a spot on that course that wouldn’t potentially ruin a club lol. I don’t get them for free I don’t want to replace them 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

4 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

You would have to pay me 😂 I don’t see a spot on that course that wouldn’t potentially ruin a club lol. I don’t get them for free I don’t want to replace them 

So where is this course? Are they in a region that's in the middle of a drought? Are they they only course that's in a decent radius? What's the cost here vs. other courses in the area?

Let's not be so quick to diminish courses that are still operating and people can learn to play the game on. It's easy for us in this region that's littered with decent courses, but it's not so easy for a lot of other golfers and potential golfers. 

wow! that legit looks like it’s an abandoned course. 

i agree with @Lacassem - i’d have to be paid to play a round there. either that or loaned some clubs. 

although i bet if i bounced a drive off one of those hard pan fairway patches i could get it out to 400yds...

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Right now several places have closed in the last 2 years.

We have another course that is about to re-open.

This course is about $35-40 for 18 with a cart.

No dress code, size limit on groups, etc.

The closest nice course is 35 minutes away.

We can walk this for $10 ( for me) and my Son okays2 free because of high school team.

We always play winter rules ( ground under repair).

When the good course re-opens, we will join.

This is mostly treated as a (walking driving range).

It is a challenge, but not from the intentional layout either.

Always chasing different clubs

4 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

So where is this course? Are they in a region that's in the middle of a drought? Are they they only course that's in a decent radius? What's the cost here vs. other courses in the area?

Let's not be so quick to diminish courses that are still operating and people can learn to play the game on. It's easy for us in this region that's littered with decent courses, but it's not so easy for a lot of other golfers and potential golfers. 

The owner isn't a golfer. No money is put back into course at all.

This is pretty much a beginner course, or for people that don't take it too serious.

The school and other seroius golfers treat it as practice only.

The kids starting out and retired men that can't get around are there often.

No marshal at all.

On a Sunday afternoon, you might see a group of 10 people, sharing 3 sets of clubs. Only the 3 owners of the clubs have played before.

They won't let you play thru.

1st of year, we'll join the other course thats opening back up.

1 minute ago, Jackal said:

We can walk this for $10 ( for me) and my Son okays2 free because of high school team.

Many thanks for giving us some background info. So you're looking at a region that is suffering from a lack of courses (don't know where you are or what the economics of the situation is as far as how many golfers there are to support X number of courses), over an hour drive time round trip to get to a "nice" course, it's apparently a very relaxed atmosphere that would be welcoming to new golfers, and you can walk it for $10.

I would walk this course for $10 rather than buy a large bucket at the range 10 times out of 10. $35 with a cart? I'd bring my 14yo there every weekend so we both could work on our games in a relaxed environment and learn to play shots from different areas. It's not going to count against my handicap since it's a practice round, but let's be realistic about geography and conditions before we poke fun at places like this. 

1 minute ago, russtopherb said:

Paying me is just joshing around. Me personally I wouldn’t play in my current game. Years ago yes, now that I am fully enveloped in the game and purchasing equipment that I would not want potentially compromise.

a dog track is a dog track, several courses around here I just can’t play and they still ask for a decent penny to play

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

8 minutes ago, Jackal said:

Years ago would have been on this course a lot for that price.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

1 minute ago, russtopherb said:

Many thanks for giving us some background info. So you're looking at a region that is suffering from a lack of courses (don't know where you are or what the economics of the situation is as far as how many golfers there are to support X number of courses), over an hour drive time round trip to get to a "nice" course, it's apparently a very relaxed atmosphere that would be welcoming to new golfers, and you can walk it for $10.

I would walk this course for $10 rather than buy a large bucket at the range 10 times out of 10. $35 with a cart? I'd bring my 14yo there every weekend so we both could work on our games in a relaxed environment and learn to play shots from different areas. It's not going to count against my handicap since it's a practice round, but let's be realistic about geography and conditions before we poke fun at places like this. 

It's not really relaxed.

Crowded, and unorganized.

You might spend 5-1\2 hours to play 18 holes, on a course that is less than 6000 yards.

It's  fun to a point, but yiu have to realize when it hurts your scores.

There are a lot of people that won't putt.

After they hit the green, they pickup and take a 2 putt.

Greens always play as if aerated.

3 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Years ago would have been on this course a lot for that price.

We usually run down late evening.

People are leaving because they don't want to be out in a cart after dark.

We can walk a quick 9, and after  the clubhouse closes, we can still get out on our own.

Usually walking 9 takes about 1 hr 15 mins.

4 minutes ago, Jackal said:

We usually run down late evening.

People are leaving because they don't want to be out in a cart after dark.

We can walk a quick 9, and after  the clubhouse closes, we can still get out on our own.

Usually walking 9 takes about 1 hr 15 mins.

Perfect timing. This would also be somewhere I would bring my son. There used to be a really nice par 3 in town years ago where I learned but that’s gone. This would definitely be a spot I would do 9 with him and buy a set on eBay for it 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

This post is really just a follow up to my other about " Do you score better and nicer courses".

I am just referring to this course compared to a course that is maintained with mowing, has grass everywhere needed, greens and fringe are maintained.

With smooth greens that don't bounce.

This was the saddest course I have ever seen. I don't know how anyone could score well on this course. I'm not sure if I would play there even if it was free using one of my old set of clubs. But I could definitely see a 250 yard drive rolling out to 400.

But for sure you would score better on a nicer course.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

We had one near us similar in CT years ago. It was a local Farmers Hobby.
Actually it was in better shape. Great for beginners and kids.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

We had one near us similar in CT years ago. It was a local Farmers Hobby.
Actually it was in better shape. Great for beginners and kids.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

That's what I consider this one.

It was brought up a few weeks ago, and someone told me that a pro or scratch golfer could really tear this course up.

We started wondering, because in a scramble tournament 2 months ago, a guy brought his cousin from the Korn Ferry tour to play.

Their team won with a -22 under par, but we had a -17 under.

They said the guy would hit a great shot that would land in front of the green, then bounce 50 foot high, and go over the green.

He was like " What the heck??".

Edited by Jackal

5 hours ago, russtopherb said:

This one looks very similar to one in our area that has recently gone further downhill than it had been in recent memory. It was never a nice course, but it was short, relatively open, flat and had very small greens. A great place to learn the game on. They recently jacked the prices up while the quality went down, and tried to sell to a developer before the local residents stepped in to stop that (already a very busy area, they didn't want more traffic.) I'd be sad to see it go, but at the same time I can't justify paying much more than a dollar per hole if all of your greens are dried out and the last four holes are unplayable all year due to drainage.

There is a ton of work that goes into keeping a golf course in decent shape. While high school is in session, my course has two full-time employees only, the owner and his buddy. Such a tough gig - I'm thankful he had a good year with all of the renewed interest in golf because I was seriously concerned he might not make it much longer. Thankfully, he's young and built a sleeping room in the old locker room area so that he can basically live at the course when necessary, but the guy has a wife and couple young kids at home, too. Just a very stressful and tiring job. He's made so much progress in three years though, so I hope he keeps it up.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

52 minutes ago, edingc said:

This one looks very similar to one in our area that has recently gone further downhill than it had been in recent memory. It was never a nice course, but it was short, relatively open, flat and had very small greens. A great place to learn the game on. They recently jacked the prices up while the quality went down, and tried to sell to a developer before the local residents stepped in to stop that (already a very busy area, they didn't want more traffic.) I'd be sad to see it go, but at the same time I can't justify paying much more than a dollar per hole if all of your greens are dried out and the last four holes are unplayable all year due to drainage.

There is a ton of work that goes into keeping a golf course in decent shape. While high school is in session, my course has two full-time employees only, the owner and his buddy. Such a tough gig - I'm thankful he had a good year with all of the renewed interest in golf because I was seriously concerned he might not make it much longer. Thankfully, he's young and built a sleeping room in the old locker room area so that he can basically live at the course when necessary, but the guy has a wife and couple young kids at home, too. Just a very stressful and tiring job. He's made so much progress in three years though, so I hope he keeps it up.

That is a great story.

Thanks for sharing.

This owner doesn't work at the course.

If they get real busy, he'll run the register.

He has owned it for 18 years.

They won't water any fairways or tee boxes.

They recently started charging for just passengers on carts. ( If a non-playing spouse, or a Mom wants to take her kid to play golf.)

Owner won't update to a modern aerator.

Still using the plug machine on greens.

It leaves holes big enough to stick your finger in.

Then, they sand it and pull a chain link fence over the top.

After this aeration????? It takes about 2 months to recover.

The maintenace crew would like to do more.

One of the workers Dad offered to let him use a backhoe and dozer for free, just pay for fuel.

I guess as long as he makes money.

We've had a really wet summer up until 3 weeks ago.

I should have taken pics when it was green.

The dirt spots showed up a lot better.

Edited by Jackal

That looks a lot like the course I joined this year....for $200.....for a 2 year membership.....that I can then walk for FREE in the evenings when its not too crowded.  As mentioned above its like walking a driving range and is good enough for me to use for cheap practice golf.  I just move my ball to a grass patch in the rough or fairway and play from there....unless I want to practice hardpan lies!!  See, there are some advantages.... if most of you all wanted to practice hardpan lies you'd have to put the ball on the cart path!   😀

I put some pics of it in another thread...Can a Pro Handle Your Course Playing Conditions (or something like that)

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

8 hours ago, Jackal said:

1st of year, we'll join the other course thats opening back up.

Don't know where you live, but you might want to check out joining the other course now.  Many courses in my area will let you join in Oct for next year, so you get to play the rest of this year for free.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

18 hours ago, Jackal said:

Random places in the fairway. Dirt only, and it is so hard you couldn't dig with a pick & shovel.

20201015_155143.jpg

20201015_155416.jpg

20201015_155440.jpg

20201015_155505.jpg

20201015_155452.jpg

Actually my type of course especially if it is cheap. A course like that is a hoot to play with vintage equipment. And my vintage equipment is not pristine so a few more dings and dents ain't going to hurt anything. And I would love hitting my little chest high (now) cut 1 iron on those hard fairways

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Actually my type of course especially if it is cheap. A course like that is a hoot to play with vintage equipment.

Big Stu, your a better man than I am. I am spoiled with my wife working for a private Robert Trent Jones course. I don't think I could conciously put a tee in the ground. That is if I could. The ground looks pretty hard.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag