TESTERS WANTED! ×

Update: pics of goat track course VS. nicer course

Jackal

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Don't know where you live, but you might want to check out joining the other course now.  Many courses in my area will let you join in Oct for next year, so you get to play the rest of this year for free.  

They haven't quite got it playable yet, but I'll ask about that.

With the past owners, they only took membership sign -ups during January & Feb.

Don't know why.

I'll start checking.

Thanks for that info.

Always chasing different clubs

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Actually my type of course especially if it is cheap. A course like that is a hoot to play with vintage equipment. And my vintage equipment is not pristine so a few more dings and dents ain't going to hurt anything. And I would love hitting my little chest high (now) cut 1 iron on those hard fairways

With the right frame of mind, it's a blast.

In all seriousness that's what Bethpage Black looked like when I played there in the mid 70's, for real!  If you can imagine it for anyone who has played there since it was fixed up - with those slopes around the greens?  Bare dirt - you'd miss a green and end up 40 or 50 yards in some sort of ridiculous lie and no way to get it on the green.  And the tees required a nail and a hammer to get tee into the ground.  

And you had to wait in the parking lot for several hours playing cards before you would tee off.  😞

Glad those days are behind me, hope they will be soon for you. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

7 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Big Stu, your a better man than I am. I am spoiled with my wife working for a private Robert Trent Jones course. I don't think I could conciously put a tee in the ground. That is if I could. The ground looks pretty hard.

This is no joke I played a course one time where the regulars actually carried tack hammers to put the tee in the ground. One of my playing partners graciously let me use his hammer

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

This looks not too disimmilar from the course closet to me. It's a realtivley open track and we have had a drought here in NH making it worse. Not all the clubs fault though they are in a flood plain and as such they cannot do certain work and bring in material. The course is slowly getting worse it seems. The only other option is very nice but is 100 a round which is more than double this course. The next courses are at least 35 out. Still can be fun, I just am liberal with ground under repair when needed to enjoy the round more.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

17 hours ago, revkev said:

In all seriousness that's what Bethpage Black looked like when I played there in the mid 70's, for real!  If you can imagine it for anyone who has played there since it was fixed up - with those slopes around the greens?  Bare dirt - you'd miss a green and end up 40 or 50 yards in some sort of ridiculous lie and no way to get it on the green.  And the tees required a nail and a hammer to get tee into the ground.  

And you had to wait in the parking lot for several hours playing cards before you would tee off.  😞

Glad those days are behind me, hope they will be soon for you. 

I grew up on Long Island, lived there for 35 years. I played all the courses at Bethpage tons of times during the 80's and 90's. It was $22 to play the black, and as you stated it was rough ( both the course and the condition. Then the PGA comes to town and now its $140+.  Now its so popular you never get on. Glad Im not on line at 3am anymore.

We used a Phillips screwdriver to make a hole for the tee!

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Interesting, I was under the assumption Bethpage was always the well kept course.
What we did to get on Bethpage was one of the guys kept calling the course (weekdays) and look for cancellations which there were many. This was the day before so we had to be ready to skip work the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

3 hours ago, Rickp said:

Interesting, I was under the assumption Bethpage was always the well kept course.
What we did to get on Bethpage was one of the guys kept calling the course (weekdays) and look for cancellations which there were many. This was the day before so we had to be ready to skip work the next day.

Bethpage has five 18 hole courses. All were kept in good condition except for the black back in the day.  The yellow course was always a little iffy because it was the easiest. It received a lot of beginner play. It was difficult to get on most of the courses due to the volume of players. Nobody wanted to play the black. Difficult course, hilly, and you had to walk it. So usually it was easier to get on.  I liked the red course the best. It was similar to the black. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Bethpage has five 18 hole courses. All were kept in good condition except for the black back in the day.  The yellow course was always a little iffy because it was the easiest. It received a lot of beginner play. It was difficult to get on most of the courses due to the volume of players. Nobody wanted to play the black. Difficult course, hilly, and you had to walk it. So usually it was easier to get on.  I liked the red course the best. It was similar to the black. 

Black is definitely nasty. We also played Green a couple times, all we could get.
I think 2 of the guys just liked to have dinner/drinks on way back home.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Thanks for that info. I never knew that.👍👍👍👍👍

17 hours ago, toehold57 said:

If you can play there, you can play anywhere...

It’s a place to have fun, not get serious on.  Play winter rules, give yourself a good lie and swing away!  Laugh, have some fun!

Remember golf started in fields, not manicured lawns 😉

Actually started in Sheep pastures and the bunkers were actually dug by Sheep for shelter from the wind. Yep look on TV at some of the UK courses they are not manicured perfectly and you have to invent shots. For me the way Golf was meant to be played. I look at pics that some of our brothers from across the big pond post on other sites and PGS. Man I would love to be over there playing. In the past when my health would let me I would play in the wind and rain with the old stuff. Loved hitting a 1 iron under the wind and rain. Not to be misconstrued we have many nice courses here and I can have fun playing golf anywhere but I do love the goat tracks

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Actually started in Sheep pastures and the bunkers were actually dug by Sheep for shelter from the wind. Yep look on TV at some of the UK courses they are not manicured perfectly and you have to invent shots. For me the way Golf was meant to be played. I look at pics that some of our brothers from across the big pond post on other sites and PGS. Man I would love to be over there playing. In the past when my health would let me I would play in the wind and rain with the old stuff. Loved hitting a 1 iron under the wind and rain. Not to be misconstrued we have many nice courses here and I can have fun playing golf anywhere but I do love the goat tracks

As long as the goat tracks and cow pastures charge according to their condition then I have no problem playing/practicing on them. 

I have very low standards for what tees and fairways and rough need to look like. 

But I do like to have puttable greens and enough grass around the greens so I am not chipping with a lie up between two crabgrass clumps.  

A different topic but I have often wondered if any course has tried a synthetic green instead of real grass to compare install/maintenance costs versus playability.  I have a synthetic green in the backyard and I know they can be made soft enough to hold shots.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

3 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

As long as the goat tracks and cow pastures charge according to their condition then I have no problem playing/practicing on them. 

I have very low standards for what tees and fairways and rough need to look like. 

But I do like to have puttable greens and enough grass around the greens so I am not chipping with a lie up between two crabgrass clumps.  

A different topic but I have often wondered if any course has tried a synthetic green instead of real grass to compare install/maintenance costs versus playability.  I have a synthetic green in the backyard and I know they can be made soft enough to hold shots.  

Some would do better.

Even a pitch and putt par 3 course.

All greens. 

Lower maintenance, depending in intitial cost.

9 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

I am right there with you on price versus conditions

G

Today we played the back 9 at Goat Track country club.

I shot a 41, with a lot of strange bounces and lip-outs.

On this par 3, my tee shot went to the left of the green, and bounced about 30 feet straight up.

We thought it would go into water, but it came down close.

Those dark spots to the left of the green are hard\ grey dirt. ( almost crusher dust).

Not what you would expect next to a green.

It was still a lot of fun.

20201018_143144.jpg

20201018_143140.jpg

Edited by Jackal

We all have to start somewhere! Definitely agree with what people are saying that this is a walkable driving range!

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

24 minutes ago, Jackal said:

It was still a lot of fun

Isn't that all that really matters?!?

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

9 hours ago, Buffly said:

Isn't that all that really matters?!?

Absolutely!!

The start of this topic was a while back.

Someone at the course said a pro would score super low.

We said what about hidded obstacles?

Then, a couple of locals said they score better at better maintained ( nicer courses).

I always treat it as a walking driving range.

Practice trouble shots, etc.

If you don't take it too serious, it's great.

12 hours ago, Jackal said:

Today we played the back 9 at Goat Track country club.

I shot a 41, with a lot of strange bounces and lip-outs.

On this par 3, my tee shot went to the left of the green, and bounced about 30 feet straight up.

We thought it would go into water, but it came down close.

Those dark spots to the left of the green are hard\ grey dirt. ( almost crusher dust).

Not what you would expect next to a green.

It was still a lot of fun.

20201018_143144.jpg

20201018_143140.jpg

I know the funky bounces you get from time to time are funny or at least to me especially playing vintage and not keeping score

G