Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Which Wedge Would Lower My Scores

I currently play to about a 12 handicap/usually score in the upper 80s on good days. I have taken lessons in the last few months and dropped my scores from shooting in the 110s in May down into the 80s and 90s of late. I even shot a 79 on a par 67 course, but I don't count that as officially breaking 80—I want to be able to break 80 on a standard par 72 course someday. 

My current wedge set up is a set-matching PW at 46º, a 54º SW that was in below average condition when I got it in April, and a 60º LW that was only lightly used when I got it in July. I usually hit my PW for full shots from 110-120 yards, my 54º for full shots from 85-95 yards, and my 60º for full shots under 75 yards. I also use all three wedges for various shots in my short game.

Assuming I can only buy one new wedge, which would benefit my game more:

• Upgrading my 54º SW to something with fresh grooves
  • Adding a 50º gap wedge to my bag

Driver:titleist-small: TSR3 9° (Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X)

Woods: (3W:titleist-small: TSi2 15° (Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7S); (7W:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 21° (Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S) 

4 Hybrid:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 22° (Fujikura Ventus Blue HY 80S)

5i-6i:taylormade-small: P770 (Nippon Modus3 105 S)

7i-PW:Miura: CB-301 (Nippon Modus3 105 S) 

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 4.0 50 S & 54 S (Nippon Modus3 105 S); Glide Forged Eye2 59 (Nippon Ping Z-Z115)

Putter:odyssey-small: Toulon Design Las Vegas H7 (BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar)

All Clubs Equipped with :Arccos:

Do you feel like you need a club that you hit about 105? Your gaps make it tough to fit in a clubs and maintain 15 yards between. Since your SW isn’t in great shape and based on your stated distances I would propose going something like 50 and 56.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, DJ Mico said:

I currently play to about a 12 handicap/usually score in the upper 80s on good days. I have taken lessons in the last few months and dropped my scores from shooting in the 110s in May down into the 80s and 90s of late. I even shot a 79 on a par 67 course, but I don't count that as officially breaking 80—I want to be able to break 80 on a standard par 72 course someday. 

My current wedge set up is a set-matching PW at 46º, a 54º SW that was in the below-average condition when I got it in April, and a 60º LW that was only lightly used when I got it in July. I usually hit my PW for full shots from 110-120 yards, my 54º for full shots from 85-95 yards, and my 60º for full shots under 75 yards. I also use all three wedges for various shots in my short game.

First, congratulations on your improvement. Dropping 20 strokes is impressive.  

If you haven't gone for a club fitting you should.

I was "fit" for irons back in 2012.  The only fitting adjustments made were to loft and lie. 

A few months ago I went for a full bag fitting and my mind was blown by the amount of information that was gathered. The club fitter test different shafts and clubheads to optimize ball speed and dispersion.

For wedges, I learned about bounce and grinds.  How both directly impact turf interaction and the shot shape based on your swing.

I say all that to say, to drop another 20 strokes would be nearly impossible. But now that you have taken lessons and understand your swing and it's fundamentals, having clubs the proper fit will allow you to score better around the course.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik Max 9° neutral weight setting - Shaft: Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60S, length 44.75"

Wood:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 3 wood 13° - Shaft: (Stock) Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 19°-21° - Shaft: (Stock) UST Recoil 480 ESX F4

Irons: :cobra-small: 5-PW Cobra King SZ - Shaft: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105

Wedges: :vokey-small: Titleist Vokey SM8 54°, 58° - Shaft: (Stock) Wedge Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small: Scotty Cameron X12, length 34"

:Clicgear: Rovic RV1S

Welcome to what I call the frustration zone, lol. You technically are better than most amateur golfers but have gotten a taste of shooting a good score and now know that you have it someone in there lol.

To answer you question I would first get gap test for your wedges if not your whole bag. I agree with the 50* or 56* suggestions. I would always fill the gaps before replacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

8 hours ago, DJ Mico said:

My current wedge set up is a set-matching PW at 46º, a 54º SW that was in below average condition when I got it in April, and a 60º LW that was only lightly used when I got it in July. I usually hit my PW for full shots from 110-120 yards, my 54º for full shots from 85-95 yards, and my 60º for full shots under 75 yards. I also use all three wedges for various shots in my short game.

Based on only 3 wedges, I would go 52° and 58° but, 4 wedges at 50°, 55°, and 60° could be better. (opt 50-54-58, or 50-56-60, or 50-54-60 is ok too)

Either way, how you use the clubs can lower your scores more than what clubs they are. You mentioned full swings with your sand and lob wedges. I never take full swings with my two most lofted wedges. I rather use a half or 3/4 swing with my sand wedge more than a full swing with my lob. 

When you buy new clubs, how they interact with the turf, sole grind and bounce, is just as important as loft to help your game. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

Do you feel like you need a club that you hit about 105? Your gaps make it tough to fit in a clubs and maintain 15 yards between. Since your SW isn’t in great shape and based on your stated distances I would propose going something like 50 and 56.

If you asked me this question a couple of months ago, I would not be in the market for a 105 yard club because I was routinely hitting my PW 100-105. Since taking lessons and playing more, I've been able to make more solid contact and have been creating a bigger gap between my 54 and PW. I still am comfortable hitting a smooth PW from 105. So, I guess that was all to say, no I don't need a 105 club. 

I had not considered a 50 and 56 set up. I was looking at Mizuno's wedges, and I believe they offer wedges in 55º, so maybe a 55 to gap right between my 60 and I'll eventually get a 50. 

Thanks!

Woods: (3W:titleist-small: TSi2 15° (Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7S); (7W:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 21° (Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S) 

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 4.0 50 S & 54 S (Nippon Modus3 105 S); Glide Forged Eye2 59 (Nippon Ping Z-Z115)

5 hours ago, Urbs_Valhalla said:

First, congratulations on your improvement. Dropping 20 strokes is impressive.  

If you haven't gone for a club fitting you should.

I was "fit" for irons back in 2012.  The only fitting adjustments made were to loft and lie. 

A few months ago I went for a full bag fitting and my mind was blown by the amount of information that was gathered. The club fitter test different shafts and clubheads to optimize ball speed and dispersion.

For wedges, I learned about bounce and grinds.  How both directly impact turf interaction and the shot shape based on your swing.

I say all that to say, to drop another 20 strokes would be nearly impossible. But now that you have taken lessons and understand your swing and it's fundamentals, having clubs the proper fit will allow you to score better around the course.

Thanks! One of my playing partners even commented the last time we played that just a few lessons and playing more than once every few months really improved my game.

I actually am going in for a full bag fitting next week, so I guess I will have more information about gapping and which clubs work for me. I think by next week I will know more about my own distance gapping and talk about it with my fitter to make an informed decision.

In terms of my scoring, I know I may not be able to break the 70s, but I definitely feel if I can avoid a bunch of unforced errors and get better on and around the greens I could save myself at least 5 strokes a round. Like everyone, I would love to be able to not 2 and 3 putt and stop leaving my chips and approach shots over 20 feet away from the hole. I've definitely improved my lag putting, but I definitely need to improve from 10-15 feet.

5 hours ago, jb0330 said:

Welcome to what I call the frustration zone, lol. You technically are better than most amateur golfers but have gotten a taste of shooting a good score and now know that you have it someone in there lol.

To answer you question I would first get gap test for your wedges if not your whole bag. I agree with the 50* or 56* suggestions. I would always fill the gaps before replacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, lol. I couldn't agree more that it is the "frustration zone." I mentioned to someone else in this thread I'm going in for a full bag fitting next week, so I will be able to make an informed decision about it by then. 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Buffly said:

Based on only 3 wedges, I would go 52° and 58° but, 4 wedges at 50°, 55°, and 60° could be better. (opt 50-54-58, or 50-56-60, or 50-54-60 is ok too)

Either way, how you use the clubs can lower your scores more than what clubs they are. You mentioned full swings with your sand and lob wedges. I never take full swings with my two most lofted wedges. I rather use a half or 3/4 swing with my sand wedge more than a full swing with my lob. 

When you buy new clubs, how they interact with the turf, sole grind and bounce, is just as important as loft to help your game. 

Thanks for the advice!

I think as I play more I'll learn different shots or get more comfortable with different shots. I am just more confident in my distance and what a full shot with my more lofted wedges will do on the green than I am in my 3/4 swings. I will keep all of these things in mind as I keep playing more.

10 minutes ago, DJ Mico said:

Thanks! One of my playing partners even commented the last time we played that just a few lessons and playing more than once every few months really improved my game.

I actually am going in for a full bag fitting next week, so I guess I will have more information about gapping and which clubs work for me. I think by next week I will know more about my own distance gapping and talk about it with my fitter to make an informed decision.

In terms of my scoring, I know I may not be able to break the 70s, but I definitely feel if I can avoid a bunch of unforced errors and get better on and around the greens I could save myself at least 5 strokes a round. Like everyone, I would love to be able to not 2 and 3 putt and stop leaving my chips and approach shots over 20 feet away from the hole. I've definitely improved my lag putting, but I definitely need to improve from 10-15 feet.

You bring up a great point with approach shots.  What separates PGA pros from everyone else, even + handicap player is their accuracy with approach shots. 

Once you complete you fitting and receive your clubs, make sure you complete a "micro fitting" or "Gapping Session"  same thing just depends on what the fitter calls it.  This will make sure the yardage between clubs is evenly spaced.   

Stat from Mike Bury; The worst ranked putter on the PGA tour in 2020 averaged 30.28 putts per round.  If you average 36 putts per round, you would be 24 strokes behind in a 4 - round tournament just on the putter.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik Max 9° neutral weight setting - Shaft: Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60S, length 44.75"

Wood:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 3 wood 13° - Shaft: (Stock) Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 19°-21° - Shaft: (Stock) UST Recoil 480 ESX F4

Irons: :cobra-small: 5-PW Cobra King SZ - Shaft: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105

Wedges: :vokey-small: Titleist Vokey SM8 54°, 58° - Shaft: (Stock) Wedge Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small: Scotty Cameron X12, length 34"

:Clicgear: Rovic RV1S

7 hours ago, Urbs_Valhalla said:

You bring up a great point with approach shots.  What separates PGA pros from everyone else, even + handicap player is their accuracy with approach shots. 

Once you complete you fitting and receive your clubs, make sure you complete a "micro fitting" or "Gapping Session"  same thing just depends on what the fitter calls it.  This will make sure the yardage between clubs is evenly spaced.   

Stat from Mike Bury; The worst ranked putter on the PGA tour in 2020 averaged 30.28 putts per round.  If you average 36 putts per round, you would be 24 strokes behind in a 4 - round tournament just on the putter.

People over estimate how close pros really hit the ball on approach shots.    As for the 30.28 putts per round,  that is misleading because the best player on your only averages 13 greens per round so they are pitching/chipping 5+ times a round. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

People over estimate how close pros really hit the ball on approach shots.    As for the 30.28 putts per round,  that is misleading because the best player on your only averages 13 greens per round so they are pitching/chipping 5+ times a round. 

To add to your point, I saw this Golf Sidekick video about what PGA Tour stats actually are and measuring your expectations in light of them. This was very enlightening to me.

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

If I were choosing only one wedge, I would choose the 54° or 56° depending on your gapping needs.  As far as I know most wedges can be bent stronger to 55° or weaker to 55° but just be aware of what it does to the bounce.  The reason for the 56° IMO is that it is a versatile wedge.  Full shot, half shot, open face etc. As far as which OEM, best to get fit.  

As you have probably already heard or read, bounce is very important.  Dont just look at lofts. 

Congrats and your improvements! 

2 hours ago, Chizzle said:

If I were choosing only one wedge, I would choose the 54° or 56° depending on your gapping needs.  As far as I know most wedges can be bent stronger to 55° or weaker to 55° but just be aware of what it does to the bounce.  The reason for the 56° IMO is that it is a versatile wedge.  Full shot, half shot, open face etc. As far as which OEM, best to get fit.  

As you have probably already heard or read, bounce is very important.  Dont just look at lofts. 

Congrats and your improvements! 

Thank you! I have learned about why bounce is important from my teaching pro as we have gone through chipping drills. I will see the results of my fitting next week and make a decision.

I agree, 50º and 56º. Also have you tried shortening your grip. This allows you to still make a full swing but means for example my 50º goes 110-111m, 107-108m mid grip and 102-3m short grip. This really allows you to tune in your short game.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

6 hours ago, Firebird said:

I agree, 50º and 56º. Also have you tried shortening your grip. This allows you to still make a full swing but means for example my 50º goes 110-111m, 107-108m mid grip and 102-3m short grip. This really allows you to tune in your short game.

Interesting point. I had not thought of changing grips. I'll give this a shot the next time I'm at the practice green. Thanks!

On 10/17/2020 at 5:06 PM, DJ Mico said:

Thank you! I have learned about why bounce is important from my teaching pro as we have gone through chipping drills. I will see the results of my fitting next week and make a decision.

DJ  as others have said, sometimes its tough to find the right club to  "fit" in.  I recently got a new set of clubs(previously had no club for full 120 yard shot), and if you are going for a fitting just make sure to pay close attention the the lofts.  I got my clubs because the lofts were more aggressive than my previous set.  This allowed me to eliminate a 3H at the high end, and put another wedge in at the bottom end.  I ended up with PW(set) 43d (120-125), AW(set) 48d (105-115)  ADDED 52d (95-105), and stuck with most lofted as 56 degree(75 -85).  I can't hit a 60 full shot, so I just try to stay out of that range if i can help it.  If you're getting fitted you should be able to find something to cover all distances, and not have to try to squeeze something in which may not perform the way you like.  Lofts vary widely from Brand to Brand.  Good Luck with the fitting!

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

My PW from my set is 46°.

My wedges are 50, 56, and 60.

50: is 90-105 yards. Short par 3s, and hitting into the green.

56: is my feel club. Greenside to max 75ish. I have a shot with it that's right at 50 yards every time.

My 60 is only used for 'guaranteed out of sand' and over short walls and obstacles.

I'm looking to replace my 56 & 50.

While testing the other day, a new Mackdaddy 52° was going farther than my current 50°.

This goes to show that I need to hit a few different wedges, and the number doesn't really matter, it's how you hit it.

Go to a place that will let you hit, and compare.

Find one with accurate yardages marked off, and hitting from grass.

Always chasing different clubs

On 10/15/2020 at 11:53 PM, DJ Mico said:

Lots of solid advice here. I currently have a 48 PW, a 51, 56,58. I have tried the 54&58 combo, and the 51&56 at times. The pro that ran the course I worked at as a kid was a short game monster. This guy could hardly keep it in play off the tee and was scratch. He had a 56&60. He told me he looked for wedges based on the types of shots they could produce, and he used everything except his woods from 100yds and in and never three putted. Theres some value there. I practice every type of shot as much as I can, and use the 7 on down to bump and run and pitch it when there's grass. I keep a wedge with nice bounce for sand, and depending on the course, either a gap wedge or a flop shot type wedge. I like the bounce in the sand, so that never goes away. I guess both of us grew up without access to specialized gear, but it really depends on how and where you play and the types of shots you want to hit. 

Great work dropping your scores so far, keep at it and your hard work will definitely pay off. 👊

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

DJ, congrats on improving your golf game and trying to find other ways to improve. 

Assuming you could add one wedge, I'd add a 50 degree wedge to fill the gap between PW & SW (54 degree).  In addition, as you are improving your game and getting better, try other wedge set ups like - 54 & 58; 55 & 60; 52-56-60. As a couple of people mentioned above, finding the bounce that fits you.  Since you take lessons consult with your instructor for wedge set up as well.  He/She can give you some good advice.  Finding the right wedges, right brand, right shaft is also a personal preference. I've played the Cleveland, Callaway, Ping & Titleist. I also go back to Titleist. But the Ping wedges look so good to my eye. 
Good Luck!! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0