Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Home Practice Area

I'm in the process of closing on a new home at the end of October. I will have my own home office with plenty of space for a putting mat, but we also have an unfinished basement which potentially has room for a larger practice area. Any recommendations or how have you created practice space?

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 10.5, Motore X F1 60 X-Stiff

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60, SB - Black

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #7

Vice Golf Pro Plus

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

I'm in the process of closing on a new home at the end of October. I will have my own home office with plenty of space for a putting mat, but we also have an unfinished basement which potentially has room for a larger practice area. Any recommendations or how have you created practice space?

Probably depends on what you want to practice. If I had the space I would install a hitting net and get a skytrak or mevo+ to work on the swing aspect.

My frustration with putting mats is the inability to practice 20+ foot putts. If you room is large enough put down carpet that can simulate a putting green. If space is a concern I would highly recommend the ExPutt system.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Probably depends on what you want to practice. If I had the space I would install a hitting net and get a skytrak or mevo+ to work on the swing aspect.

My frustration with putting mats is the inability to practice 20+ foot putts. If you room is large enough put down carpet that can simulate a putting green. If space is a concern I would highly recommend the ExPutt system.

I need to do some measurements and see if there is enough space to install a hitting net. At least has enough room to do some sort of chipping game to work on the touch. 

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 10.5, Motore X F1 60 X-Stiff

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60, SB - Black

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #7

Vice Golf Pro Plus

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

i’m setting up a hitting bay in my garage without a ton of room, so it’s definitely doable. 

all you really need to do is bring your driver down to the basement and see if you can swing it comfortably. if you can, then start looking into nets/mats, etc.

you could also cut a stick to 1-2” over your driver length and swing it around to test your clearance so that you don’t have to worry about damaging your club

i say cut it over length because i’ve found that when people are testing their clearances, they get t-rex arms because they want the space to work. then when they swing the real thing, they’re hitting walls and ceilings. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

@Chip StrokesWhat is wrong with T-Rex arms....? 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 
  • 2 years later...

Like many have said, the possibilities are endless.  It's figuring out how much room you have and what you want to practice in the basement area. If you have the room for large sections of turf, they make a shallow cup that would work and turf options for whatever scenario you want to create are out there.  Add a net for full swing practice. 

Sky's the limit 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Think about ceiling height. This is your opportunity to have a section of the basement dug a foot deeper if you need. It will be very expensive to do this after the fact. Depending in your height, you will need 9-10' of ceiling height to swing driver comfortably. 

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.