TESTERS WANTED! ×

What does it take to become a "tester"...

necostanzo

I have to admit...I get excited every once in a while I get an email from MGS announcing "Testers wanted". Since I'm an extreme golf club tester having purchased most every single golf club year after year, I keep applying but never get selected. I just read their selection rules and have come to the conclusion that I'll never get selected. I'm not complaining, it's just the reality of their selection process. I'll give you the recent Titleist TSi driver testing selection.

6 golfers selected. Average content (posts) submitted 2464... That's an average of over 2000 posts....I don't think I've ever contributed to any online community in my history of internet surfing more than 100-200 posts...I only contribute when I have something worthwhile to say or something I think everyone will benefit. As for this post, I just want most of the people who enjoy reading and following MGS but who never posts many things to know that you're wasting your time even applying. 

There is nothing random about their selection of Testers:

#1. You must be a frequent contributor

#2. You must not be a twat

Pretty simple, but I wish they would consider making "one random" selection giving people like myself and the majority of the readers of MGS an outside chance of getting to test. They might be surprised that if they make a random selection, that tester might give the most thorough and enlightened review.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy MGS and will continue reading and contributing. 

Nick C, Iowa, index 2.2

Ping G410 LST, Tour AD IZ 6-X

Sim Max 3W, hzrdous green smoke 6.5

Ping Hybrids 3 & 4, Tour AD- DI 85s

Srixon Z585s, PX LZ 6.5 5-PW

Cleveland Zip core, 49, 54, 58. Mid

Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2.0

👆🏼What @GolfSpy Stroker said. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

54 minutes ago, necostanzo said:

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy MGS and will continue reading and contributing. 

@necostanzo - hopefully you do .. seems like you do have interesting ideas to share .. and hopefully you can appreciate that several of the forum mods and "seasoned" members took time to provide clear and meaningful responses here.

As a forum member and lucky to have been selected tester, I can fully attest to the screening / selection process; it's evolving and being refined over time and there really is an effort to incorporate a cross-section of golfers.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Actually, I think the job the moderators have in selecting the testers is very tedious and difficult, no matter what the item to be tested may be.

They need to be certain that they can cover all of the people who may have an interest in the particular product, as well as somewhat be certain that those selected will provide legitimate feedback to those who read the reviews.

Honestly, with the seasons changing, and the temperatures falling in the Northern Hemisphere, some who may have signed up, would not be able to provide feedback for months. 

To me, it would seem like common sense would or should go along way to applying for a test position too.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, necostanzo said:

I have to admit...I get excited every once in a while I get an email from MGS announcing "Testers wanted". Since I'm an extreme golf club tester having purchased most every single golf club year after year, I keep applying but never get selected. I just read their selection rules and have come to the conclusion that I'll never get selected. I'm not complaining, it's just the reality of their selection process. I'll give you the recent Titleist TSi driver testing selection.

6 golfers selected. Average content (posts) submitted 2464... That's an average of over 2000 posts....I don't think I've ever contributed to any online community in my history of internet surfing more than 100-200 posts...I only contribute when I have something worthwhile to say or something I think everyone will benefit. As for this post, I just want most of the people who enjoy reading and following MGS but who never posts many things to know that you're wasting your time even applying. 

Pretty simple, but I wish they would consider making "one random" selection giving people like myself and the majority of the readers of MGS an outside chance of getting to test. They might be surprised that if they make a random selection, that tester might give the most thorough and enlightened review.

Nick, I appreciate that you took the time to understand the selection criteria, and haven't posted here to complain.  I hope this thread attracts attention for the next group of folks who look at these as a give-away, as a contest, and not as a serious responsibility both for the MGS moderators (to choose the right testers) and on the testers (to spend the time and effort to write a good review).  I know you read this, but I'll post the link for anyone who reads this far down the thread, information to answer the question posed in the topic: 

Thanks for coming around, I hope we see a lot more from you.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I do have a question @rkj427 brought up for the wintery stuff. I know a lot of the winter tests ask for launch monitor/simulator data. Just to use the Titleist because its the most recent testing opportunity is that considered? Northern states are coming on winter and will be inside soon, so are those states kind of looked over due to not being on course potentially? Was just curious because I just would not apply to certain things if that's the case and save the navigation for everyone. 

Ready for simulator season since the seasons closing down!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 minute ago, necostanzo said:

Excellent replies and I appreciate the feedback. Although I don't post very much, I'm completely engaged in golf.

I'm a full-time airline pilot and travel all over the country. I play golf regularly and also provide my expertise to our local Srixon/Cleveland rep by being a certified fitter. I'm considered by my golfing friends as the most knowledgeable and understanding of the golf swing and they are always asking me to fit them in their next set of clubs. I'm particularly focused on driver shafts and am considered a "shaft hoe" having played most aftermarket Fujikura and graphite design shafts. I follow Russ Ryden at golf shaft reviews and enjoy the technical aspects of his reviews. 

i have attended the PGA show the last couple years and was fortunate to meet the fine people of Uneekor and especially Doug Bybee. I built a complete indoor golf simulator using a Uneekor system and use that regularly all winter long. 

it's a fact that you need to be a frequent contributor to be selected as a tester, but online contributions do not always reflect the realities of the person behind the curtain. I would attest that if I was ever selected to be an online tester, the results and unbiased review I presented would be inline with any of the in-depth reviews posted by the MGS staff. Hopefully, I'll get motivated enough to post enough to meet the threshold. Thanks again for the feedback.

Bottom line, I'm a golf nut. 

Just by your handicap can tell you love the game. Stay involved the site is fantastic and isn't just golf. One of my favorite threads is the cooking thread just as an example. Hope to you see you on the other threads

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

2 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I do have a question @rkj427 brought up for the wintery stuff. I know a lot of the winter tests ask for launch monitor/simulator data. Just to use the Titleist because its the most recent testing opportunity is that considered? Northern states are coming on winter and will be inside soon, so are those states kind of looked over due to not being on course potentially? Was just curious because I just would not apply to certain things if that's the case and save the navigation for everyone. 

Ready for simulator season since the seasons closing down!

The reality is that weather/location is a factor in testing. I learned this myself before beginning a moderator: I had been shortlisted for Cobra Connect, but given my location in the UP and the early spring start to CC that season, I missed the cut.

But the other reality is this: most OEMs coordinate testing opportunities during the summer months. In most years, the testing opportunities slow down (to almost nothing) during the winter.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Just now, GolfSpy MPR said:

The reality is that weather/location is a factor in testing. I learned this myself before beginning a moderator: I had been shortlisted for Cobra Connect, but given my location in the UP and the early spring start to CC that season, I missed the cut.

But the other reality is this: most OEMs coordinate testing opportunities during the summer months. In most years, the testing opportunities slow down (to almost nothing) during the winter.

TY I figured I just wanted to make sure if its not something specific to actual swing data I will avoid. Totally understandable.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

4 minutes ago, necostanzo said:

I'm a full-time airline pilot and travel all over the country.

My home club is overrun with airline pilots (mostly retired) and air traffic controllers.  Based on what I hear from the pilots, you must have tons of lay-over time, you might as well fill some of it by getting more involved here!  And yeah, I know, you probably have less idle time than we all would guess, so I'm mostly just yanking your chain.  

Would you care to tell us who you fly for?

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

TY I figured I just wanted to make sure if its not something specific to actual swing data I will avoid. Totally understandable.

Yeah, for things like training aids (that are designed to be used inside), cold weather guys remain in play. But for clubs and balls and such, we love to see LM data, but any review is also going to have to have an on-course performance component.

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

My home club is overrun with airline pilots (mostly retired) and air traffic controllers.  Based on what I hear from the pilots, you must have tons of lay-over time, you might as well fill some of it by getting more involved here!  And yeah, I know, you probably have less idle time than we all would guess, so I'm mostly just yanking your chain.  

Would you care to tell us who you fly for?

I'm guessing his Twitter handle might be a clue 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I didn't even consider that .. I play all year around weather permitted .. but my winters are a little better then where you are. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Nick,

I have been going to the MGS site for a few years before becoming a member.  I just looked at the product reviews because they are one of the most honest I ever came across. It wasn't until 2018 that I really got involved in the forums. Someone asked a question and I happen to be very familiar with the subject matter and started answering the questions. I don't remember exactly but I probably only had about 200 posts in on various posts and I was selected to test a set of irons this past August.  So you don't need thousands of posts to be selected. But when I was selected I really put in the time and effort to do my part in providing honest and accurate feed back. It is a rather lengthy process and I did not take this responsibly lightly. I even saw that the OEM was commenting on my reviews over the course of the testing. 

Based on your handicap and the amount of clubs you have tried, your input would be very valuable to the community. There are members out there that are new to golf and are asking for advise. Why not help them get started in the right direction!  There are members that are quite skilled and are asking about a particular golf club or trying to decide on a launch monitor. The more experience our collective group has the better we all will be.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

2 hours ago, necostanzo said:

... provide my expertise to our local Srixon/Cleveland rep by being a certified fitter. I'm considered by my golfing friends as the most knowledgeable and understanding of the golf swing and they are always asking me to fit them in their next set of clubs. I'm particularly focused on driver shafts and am considered a "shaft hoe" having played most aftermarket Fujikura and graphite design shafts. I follow Russ Ryden at golf shaft reviews and enjoy the technical aspects of his reviews. 

(..etc.)

Dude .. you're over-qualified 🤪 (..joking..joking..)

But I'll be looking for info from you on golf shafts! 👍

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, Berg Ryman said:

Find an opportunity that excites you and will convince you to get out more and want you to do your best.

Great point!

Imho, apply to test for something that you'd be considering buying for yourself.

Also not to beat it to death, but be aware that testing / analysis + reviewing / writing clearly about it all = a really big commitment in time & effort. 

All that said .. and I've mentioned it elsewhere .. but participating in a testing opportunity has actually made me a better golfer! ⛳🏌️👌

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

27 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Great point!

Imho, apply to test for something that you'd be considering buying for yourself.

Also not to beat it to death, but be aware that testing / analysis + reviewing / writing clearly about it all = a really big commitment in time & effort. 

All that said .. and I've mentioned it elsewhere .. but participating in a testing opportunity has actually made me a better golfer! ⛳🏌️👌

Writing clearly was big for me. Never was good with explaining myself, something that made sense for me usually didn’t to someone else. I think the review process not i only kept me going with the clubs looking for that big stand out thing but when it came down to putting it on paper (or computer does this) it sort of came easy...why? Because it’s something I enjoy. lol @Berg Ryman said should be something you enjoy and the rest comes “easy” 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

PING Glide 2.0 testing brought me here.

I had been reading the blog for a few years before I realized there was a forum.  Even then, I thought, a forum?  Why?  I applied for, and was not chosen for the Glide 2.0’s, but Golf Spy Stroker was... look at him now. 

I became really active... 😏 in the forums, and was picked up for the i200 review which was pretty awesome.  Not that I got a free set of clubs, but I wrote a review about a set of clubs and people actually enjoyed it.  I got more out of that than the free set of clubs.

I do not use social media much, so this place is my landing spot for pretty much any topic.  You’ll find so many topics from the Random thread (it really is a bunch of random stuff, often turning into a place to get ideas for a new thread), the “got problems” thread... people actually listen to your problems... for free!!

This place is extremely unique, a group of people who share a common love of the best sport on the planet.  Even for the TSi thread I felt bad for applying, I had just finished a review of the Cleveland wedges, and thought about removing my name from the applications.  But as a long time active member, the Mods picked a super duper group of people to test and review the driver.  

Moral of the story is do not get discouraged. Join in on some of the conversations.  There will be more opportunities like this in the future, since I’ve been here they have gotten bigger, more abundant and you could say “better” but that isn’t even fair.  I think when you see the Titleist name in a testing OP you’ll get around 3500 applicants... but a quick glance on another forum offering the same test has less than 500 applicants for the same test... 🤷🏼‍♂️

anyways, please join the chatter on here.  We are a welcoming group here I’d say.

In no way, shape, or form am I trying to be a jerk.  Just giving you a different perspective on the testing opportunity stuff.  

9 minutes ago, necostanzo said:

Absolutely. I'll try to take the time to get more involved. I usually have time on layovers to contribute and I'm more than willing to share my knowledge. 

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Cheers, "Delta" Nick

It's great to have you here and I look forward to the knowledge I know you'll share. I'll echo the sentiment of some of the other members and say this is a great group of people here and the most welcoming folks on the internet. 

11 hours ago, necostanzo said:

I know there have been some good responses to this but I thought I’d share my bit as well.

I am very much like you when it comes to posting on MGS, I post less than others and really only respond when I feel I can really contribute something. This is the way I have been since becoming a member in 2016. When I was selected for my first test it was when I had maybe 100 posts probably less but what I had done is submitted an unofficial review of a course I played while on a trip to London (The Shire London, which is an amazing course and and a Seve Design!). Soon after that unofficial review went up I was selected to test the RYX-3s, and I was still a newbie at the time.

Being an airline pilot, I’m sure you play some awesome courses all over the place! Might try posting in that part of the forum as a great way to contribute in addition to insights you might have on other topics.

Just thought I would share! Glad to have you as a part of the community and safe travels during this crazy COVID time!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Edited by HeathS16
Adding a link to my review.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

29 minutes ago, necostanzo said:

Absolutely. I'll try to take the time to get more involved. I usually have time on layovers to contribute and I'm more than willing to share my knowledge. 

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Cheers, "Delta" Nick

If you ever fly into pdx on a weekend let me know. Let’s game a round if we can. Notice appreciated of course. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review