What does it take to become a "tester"...

Our Sponsors

I have to admit...I get excited every once in a while I get an email from MGS announcing "Testers wanted". Since I'm an extreme golf club tester having purchased most every single golf club year after year, I keep applying but never get selected. I just read their selection rules and have come to the conclusion that I'll never get selected. I'm not complaining, it's just the reality of their selection process. I'll give you the recent Titleist TSi driver testing selection.

6 golfers selected. Average content (posts) submitted 2464... That's an average of over 2000 posts....I don't think I've ever contributed to any online community in my history of internet surfing more than 100-200 posts...I only contribute when I have something worthwhile to say or something I think everyone will benefit. As for this post, I just want most of the people who enjoy reading and following MGS but who never posts many things to know that you're wasting your time even applying. 

There is nothing random about their selection of Testers:

#1. You must be a frequent contributor

#2. You must not be a twat

Pretty simple, but I wish they would consider making "one random" selection giving people like myself and the majority of the readers of MGS an outside chance of getting to test. They might be surprised that if they make a random selection, that tester might give the most thorough and enlightened review.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy MGS and will continue reading and contributing. 

• Like 6

Nick C, Iowa, index 2.2

Ping G410 LST, Tour AD IZ 6-X

Sim Max 3W, hzrdous green smoke 6.5

Ping Hybrids 3 & 4, Tour AD- DI 85s

Srixon Z585s, PX LZ 6.5 5-PW

Cleveland Zip core, 49, 54, 58. Mid

Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2.0

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nick, You're definitely correct that the selection process isn't random. We try to be very upfront about that. Testing isn't about winning a contest. The reason that it's not random is that

Since you read the thread about being selected you do understand the process. New forum members are picked for testing; they are generally lower cost items like ball, shoes, shafts, wedges, superspe

A few thoughts from me, even though they don't really mean as much as what's been said here by the moderating group, but this is just my perspective as someone who has been lucky enough to test the pa

👆🏼What @GolfSpy Stroker said. 

• Like 6
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

54 minutes ago, necostanzo said:

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy MGS and will continue reading and contributing. 

@necostanzo - hopefully you do .. seems like you do have interesting ideas to share .. and hopefully you can appreciate that several of the forum mods and "seasoned" members took time to provide clear and meaningful responses here.

As a forum member and lucky to have been selected tester, I can fully attest to the screening / selection process; it's evolving and being refined over time and there really is an effort to incorporate a cross-section of golfers.

• Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Actually, I think the job the moderators have in selecting the testers is very tedious and difficult, no matter what the item to be tested may be.

They need to be certain that they can cover all of the people who may have an interest in the particular product, as well as somewhat be certain that those selected will provide legitimate feedback to those who read the reviews.

Honestly, with the seasons changing, and the temperatures falling in the Northern Hemisphere, some who may have signed up, would not be able to provide feedback for months. 

To me, it would seem like common sense would or should go along way to applying for a test position too.

• Like 8

Driver & Fairway: Titleist TS3 9.5 & 15 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0

Hybrid: Titleist 818H2 - Tensei Blue 70S

Irons: Titleist T100 4 - P Project X 5.0

Wedges: Vokey SM7 50, 54, and 60

Putter: Cameron 2012 Select Newport Notchback

Ball: 2013 Model Pro V1X

1 hour ago, necostanzo said:

I have to admit...I get excited every once in a while I get an email from MGS announcing "Testers wanted". Since I'm an extreme golf club tester having purchased most every single golf club year after year, I keep applying but never get selected. I just read their selection rules and have come to the conclusion that I'll never get selected. I'm not complaining, it's just the reality of their selection process. I'll give you the recent Titleist TSi driver testing selection.

6 golfers selected. Average content (posts) submitted 2464... That's an average of over 2000 posts....I don't think I've ever contributed to any online community in my history of internet surfing more than 100-200 posts...I only contribute when I have something worthwhile to say or something I think everyone will benefit. As for this post, I just want most of the people who enjoy reading and following MGS but who never posts many things to know that you're wasting your time even applying. 

There is nothing random about their selection of Testers:

#1. You must be a frequent contributor

#2. You must not be a twat

Pretty simple, but I wish they would consider making "one random" selection giving people like myself and the majority of the readers of MGS an outside chance of getting to test. They might be surprised that if they make a random selection, that tester might give the most thorough and enlightened review.

Nick, I appreciate that you took the time to understand the selection criteria, and haven't posted here to complain.  I hope this thread attracts attention for the next group of folks who look at these as a give-away, as a contest, and not as a serious responsibility both for the MGS moderators (to choose the right testers) and on the testers (to spend the time and effort to write a good review).  I know you read this, but I'll post the link for anyone who reads this far down the thread, information to answer the question posed in the topic: 

Thanks for coming around, I hope we see a lot more from you.

• Like 6

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I do have a question @rkj427 brought up for the wintery stuff. I know a lot of the winter tests ask for launch monitor/simulator data. Just to use the Titleist because its the most recent testing opportunity is that considered? Northern states are coming on winter and will be inside soon, so are those states kind of looked over due to not being on course potentially? Was just curious because I just would not apply to certain things if that's the case and save the navigation for everyone. 

Ready for simulator season since the seasons closing down!

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

1 minute ago, necostanzo said:

Excellent replies and I appreciate the feedback. Although I don't post very much, I'm completely engaged in golf.

I'm a full-time airline pilot and travel all over the country. I play golf regularly and also provide my expertise to our local Srixon/Cleveland rep by being a certified fitter. I'm considered by my golfing friends as the most knowledgeable and understanding of the golf swing and they are always asking me to fit them in their next set of clubs. I'm particularly focused on driver shafts and am considered a "shaft hoe" having played most aftermarket Fujikura and graphite design shafts. I follow Russ Ryden at golf shaft reviews and enjoy the technical aspects of his reviews. 

i have attended the PGA show the last couple years and was fortunate to meet the fine people of Uneekor and especially Doug Bybee. I built a complete indoor golf simulator using a Uneekor system and use that regularly all winter long. 

it's a fact that you need to be a frequent contributor to be selected as a tester, but online contributions do not always reflect the realities of the person behind the curtain. I would attest that if I was ever selected to be an online tester, the results and unbiased review I presented would be inline with any of the in-depth reviews posted by the MGS staff. Hopefully, I'll get motivated enough to post enough to meet the threshold. Thanks again for the feedback.

Bottom line, I'm a golf nut. 

Just by your handicap can tell you love the game. Stay involved the site is fantastic and isn't just golf. One of my favorite threads is the cooking thread just as an example. Hope to you see you on the other threads

• Like 5

Check out my reviews

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

2 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I do have a question @rkj427 brought up for the wintery stuff. I know a lot of the winter tests ask for launch monitor/simulator data. Just to use the Titleist because its the most recent testing opportunity is that considered? Northern states are coming on winter and will be inside soon, so are those states kind of looked over due to not being on course potentially? Was just curious because I just would not apply to certain things if that's the case and save the navigation for everyone. 

Ready for simulator season since the seasons closing down!

The reality is that weather/location is a factor in testing. I learned this myself before beginning a moderator: I had been shortlisted for Cobra Connect, but given my location in the UP and the early spring start to CC that season, I missed the cut.

But the other reality is this: most OEMs coordinate testing opportunities during the summer months. In most years, the testing opportunities slow down (to almost nothing) during the winter.

• Like 6

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Just now, GolfSpy MPR said:

The reality is that weather/location is a factor in testing. I learned this myself before beginning a moderator: I had been shortlisted for Cobra Connect, but given my location in the UP and the early spring start to CC that season, I missed the cut.

But the other reality is this: most OEMs coordinate testing opportunities during the summer months. In most years, the testing opportunities slow down (to almost nothing) during the winter.

TY I figured I just wanted to make sure if its not something specific to actual swing data I will avoid. Totally understandable.

• Like 2

Check out my reviews

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

4 minutes ago, necostanzo said:

I'm a full-time airline pilot and travel all over the country.

My home club is overrun with airline pilots (mostly retired) and air traffic controllers.  Based on what I hear from the pilots, you must have tons of lay-over time, you might as well fill some of it by getting more involved here!  And yeah, I know, you probably have less idle time than we all would guess, so I'm mostly just yanking your chain.  

Would you care to tell us who you fly for?

• Like 8

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

TY I figured I just wanted to make sure if its not something specific to actual swing data I will avoid. Totally understandable.

Yeah, for things like training aids (that are designed to be used inside), cold weather guys remain in play. But for clubs and balls and such, we love to see LM data, but any review is also going to have to have an on-course performance component.

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

My home club is overrun with airline pilots (mostly retired) and air traffic controllers.  Based on what I hear from the pilots, you must have tons of lay-over time, you might as well fill some of it by getting more involved here!  And yeah, I know, you probably have less idle time than we all would guess, so I'm mostly just yanking your chain.  

Would you care to tell us who you fly for?

I'm guessing his Twitter handle might be a clue 🙂

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I didn't even consider that .. I play all year around weather permitted .. but my winters are a little better then where you are. 

• Like 3

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway Wood 5  :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:ping-small:  4 G Crossover

:cobra-small: F8 Single Length Irons 5-GW OBAN CT-100 shafts 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:Arccos: All clubs use Arccos 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

Nick,

I have been going to the MGS site for a few years before becoming a member.  I just looked at the product reviews because they are one of the most honest I ever came across. It wasn't until 2018 that I really got involved in the forums. Someone asked a question and I happen to be very familiar with the subject matter and started answering the questions. I don't remember exactly but I probably only had about 200 posts in on various posts and I was selected to test a set of irons this past August.  So you don't need thousands of posts to be selected. But when I was selected I really put in the time and effort to do my part in providing honest and accurate feed back. It is a rather lengthy process and I did not take this responsibly lightly. I even saw that the OEM was commenting on my reviews over the course of the testing. 

Based on your handicap and the amount of clubs you have tried, your input would be very valuable to the community. There are members out there that are new to golf and are asking for advise. Why not help them get started in the right direction!  There are members that are quite skilled and are asking about a particular golf club or trying to decide on a launch monitor. The more experience our collective group has the better we all will be.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:cleveland-small: Wedges, CBX 56* & 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"