What does it take to become a "tester"...

Our Sponsors

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nick, You're definitely correct that the selection process isn't random. We try to be very upfront about that. Testing isn't about winning a contest. The reason that it's not random is that

Since you read the thread about being selected you do understand the process. New forum members are picked for testing; they are generally lower cost items like ball, shoes, shafts, wedges, superspe

A few thoughts from me, even though they don't really mean as much as what's been said here by the moderating group, but this is just my perspective as someone who has been lucky enough to test the pa

2 hours ago, necostanzo said:

... provide my expertise to our local Srixon/Cleveland rep by being a certified fitter. I'm considered by my golfing friends as the most knowledgeable and understanding of the golf swing and they are always asking me to fit them in their next set of clubs. I'm particularly focused on driver shafts and am considered a "shaft hoe" having played most aftermarket Fujikura and graphite design shafts. I follow Russ Ryden at golf shaft reviews and enjoy the technical aspects of his reviews. 

(..etc.)

Dude .. you're over-qualified 🤪 (..joking..joking..)

But I'll be looking for info from you on golf shafts! 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

1 hour ago, Berg Ryman said:

Find an opportunity that excites you and will convince you to get out more and want you to do your best.

Great point!

Imho, apply to test for something that you'd be considering buying for yourself.

Also not to beat it to death, but be aware that testing / analysis + reviewing / writing clearly about it all = a really big commitment in time & effort. 

All that said .. and I've mentioned it elsewhere .. but participating in a testing opportunity has actually made me a better golfer! ⛳🏌️👌

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

27 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Great point!

Imho, apply to test for something that you'd be considering buying for yourself.

Also not to beat it to death, but be aware that testing / analysis + reviewing / writing clearly about it all = a really big commitment in time & effort. 

All that said .. and I've mentioned it elsewhere .. but participating in a testing opportunity has actually made me a better golfer! ⛳🏌️👌

Writing clearly was big for me. Never was good with explaining myself, something that made sense for me usually didn’t to someone else. I think the review process not i only kept me going with the clubs looking for that big stand out thing but when it came down to putting it on paper (or computer does this) it sort of came easy...why? Because it’s something I enjoy. lol @Berg Ryman said should be something you enjoy and the rest comes “easy” 

• Like 1

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

PING Glide 2.0 testing brought me here.

I had been reading the blog for a few years before I realized there was a forum.  Even then, I thought, a forum?  Why?  I applied for, and was not chosen for the Glide 2.0’s, but Golf Spy Stroker was... look at him now. 

I became really active... 😏 in the forums, and was picked up for the i200 review which was pretty awesome.  Not that I got a free set of clubs, but I wrote a review about a set of clubs and people actually enjoyed it.  I got more out of that than the free set of clubs.

I do not use social media much, so this place is my landing spot for pretty much any topic.  You’ll find so many topics from the Random thread (it really is a bunch of random stuff, often turning into a place to get ideas for a new thread), the “got problems” thread... people actually listen to your problems... for free!!

This place is extremely unique, a group of people who share a common love of the best sport on the planet.  Even for the TSi thread I felt bad for applying, I had just finished a review of the Cleveland wedges, and thought about removing my name from the applications.  But as a long time active member, the Mods picked a super duper group of people to test and review the driver.  

Moral of the story is do not get discouraged. Join in on some of the conversations.  There will be more opportunities like this in the future, since I’ve been here they have gotten bigger, more abundant and you could say “better” but that isn’t even fair.  I think when you see the Titleist name in a testing OP you’ll get around 3500 applicants... but a quick glance on another forum offering the same test has less than 500 applicants for the same test... 🤷🏼‍♂️

anyways, please join the chatter on here.  We are a welcoming group here I’d say.

In no way, shape, or form am I trying to be a jerk.  Just giving you a different perspective on the testing opportunity stuff.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, necostanzo said:

Absolutely. I'll try to take the time to get more involved. I usually have time on layovers to contribute and I'm more than willing to share my knowledge. 

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Cheers, "Delta" Nick

It's great to have you here and I look forward to the knowledge I know you'll share. I'll echo the sentiment of some of the other members and say this is a great group of people here and the most welcoming folks on the internet. 

• Like 7
11 hours ago, necostanzo said:
I have to admit...I get excited every once in a while I get an email from MGS announcing "Testers wanted". Since I'm an extreme golf club tester having purchased most every single golf club year after year, I keep applying but never get selected. I just read their selection rules and have come to the conclusion that I'll never get selected. I'm not complaining, it's just the reality of their selection process. I'll give you the recent Titleist TSi driver testing selection.
6 golfers selected. Average content (posts) submitted 2464... That's an average of over 2000 posts....I don't think I've ever contributed to any online community in my history of internet surfing more than 100-200 posts...I only contribute when I have something worthwhile to say or something I think everyone will benefit. As for this post, I just want most of the people who enjoy reading and following MGS but who never posts many things to know that you're wasting your time even applying. 
There is nothing random about their selection of Testers:
#1. You must be a frequent contributor
#2. You must not be a twat
Pretty simple, but I wish they would consider making "one random" selection giving people like myself and the majority of the readers of MGS an outside chance of getting to test. They might be surprised that if they make a random selection, that tester might give the most thorough and enlightened review.
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy MGS and will continue reading and contributing. 

I know there have been some good responses to this but I thought I’d share my bit as well.

I am very much like you when it comes to posting on MGS, I post less than others and really only respond when I feel I can really contribute something. This is the way I have been since becoming a member in 2016. When I was selected for my first test it was when I had maybe 100 posts probably less but what I had done is submitted an unofficial review of a course I played while on a trip to London (The Shire London, which is an amazing course and and a Seve Design!). Soon after that unofficial review went up I was selected to test the RYX-3s, and I was still a newbie at the time.

Being an airline pilot, I’m sure you play some awesome courses all over the place! Might try posting in that part of the forum as a great way to contribute in addition to insights you might have on other topics.

Just thought I would share! Glad to have you as a part of the community and safe travels during this crazy COVID time!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Edited by HeathS16
Adding a link to my review.
  • Like 6

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero (8.5* HZRDUS Smoke Shaft)

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 5-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR or a :srixon-small: Z-Star

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

29 minutes ago, necostanzo said:

Absolutely. I'll try to take the time to get more involved. I usually have time on layovers to contribute and I'm more than willing to share my knowledge. 

If you ever fly into pdx on a weekend let me know. Let’s game a round if we can. Notice appreciated of course. 

• Like 4

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff :Fuji:Pro Black 63 

3W: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 UPRT or PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black S 2.5* upright

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

4-AW: PXG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges  54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up  **Testing :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid**

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: :Snell:or KSigs or :taylormade-small: TP5 pix 2.0

:Arccos:

I'm a Delta guy. I'm flying out this Monday for a golf tournment in Kansas City. So tell your buddies to take care of my clubs! 🤣

Now seriously... Thanks for all you do to get us to our destinations safely.

Looking forward to your posts.

• Like 6

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:cleveland-small: Wedges, CBX 56* & 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

@Nick I hope you do become more "active".  I'm around a screen a lot and have been around MGS for a long time so have lots of posts.  When I came, there were no testing opportunities.  Once they started they were often assigned rather than given an open opportunity.  I've seen lots of relative newbies get opportunities and also seen guys disappear after being selected but very few lately which stands as a testimony to the process.

The Moderators know what the OEMs are looking for.  Sometimes we think this is an ideal test for us when it's really not.  

You would make a great tester beyond a doubt - I hope you do follow through and jump in some.

BTW do you know a young Delta Pilot by the name of Josh M?  He is the son of a my pastoral partner in Sheboygan WI.  Very proud of that young man.  

• Like 6

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

13 hours ago, necostanzo said:

I have to admit...I get excited every once in a while I get an email from MGS announcing "Testers wanted". Since I'm an extreme golf club tester having purchased most every single golf club year after year, I keep applying but never get selected. I just read their selection rules and have come to the conclusion that I'll never get selected. I'm not complaining, it's just the reality of their selection process. I'll give you the recent Titleist TSi driver testing selection.

6 golfers selected. Average content (posts) submitted 2464... That's an average of over 2000 posts....I don't think I've ever contributed to any online community in my history of internet surfing more than 100-200 posts...I only contribute when I have something worthwhile to say or something I think everyone will benefit. As for this post, I just want most of the people who enjoy reading and following MGS but who never posts many things to know that you're wasting your time even applying. 

Pretty simple, but I wish they would consider making "one random" selection giving people like myself and the majority of the readers of MGS an outside chance of getting to test. They might be surprised that if they make a random selection, that tester might give the most thorough and enlightened review.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy MGS and will continue reading and contributing. 

I stopped trying to be a tester. I love participating in the forums and posting new topics now and again. That is enough for me. 

I guess one of my favorite things is playing old equipment too. That is one of my favorite things - beating my buddies with their new equipment with my old stuff. 

• Like 4

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

16 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

Second, be known, for a good reason. Don't be a headache for staff,

I'm buggered then...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

In the bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

So many great posts on this one! It's so apparent that the MGS community is full of soul, character, and admiration for one another.

Without even knowing, you actually took a first major step in the right direction with this thread. You posted something that invoked interest. Something that inspired others to participate and follow along. You reached out to those who perhaps might have more experience and can impart their wisdom AND you were a voice for others who might have the same valid questions.

As others have mentioned, testing is an "all-in" experience. The moderators follow us all. Note our conduct, and our willingness to bring value to the forum and our fellow members. When I was picked for my first testing opp a few years back, I had maybe applied to a few testings prior but also had established a decent track record of posts and content. I don't think I even paid any attention to the testing opportunities for a good while before finding out about them. Bottom line make the forum your #1 priority and the testing opportunities will come naturally.

Lastly, you now have the roadmap to testing opportunity success within this thread. Not IF, but WHEN the time comes to be chosen for a testing opportunity, no matter what the product, give the review 110% of your effort. I've been chosen to test an entire set of irons AND a box of $30 mid-level golf balls and was equally honored and excited to be a part of both. Although I really didn't end up liking the golf balls, I put just as much effort and energy into making sure anyone reading, fully understood my perspective, and with as much detail and data that I could provide.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 6

:taylormade-small:  SIM Max 8.25°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:titelist-small:  917F2 3 Wood / Project X Evenflow Blue 75g 

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) / GP Microsuede

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW 50/6 + 56/12 Wedge 
:odyssey-small: O-Works #7 / Superstroke Ultra Slim 1.0

20 hours ago, necostanzo said:

A good friend from my home club is with Delta, I think the term is "check airman".  Without giving out the full name, first name is Paul, good fella, pretty intense.  

Edited by DaveP043
  • Like 3

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 10/16/2020 at 10:39 AM, necostanzo said:

So far, this year, I’ve seen folks get picked who have had less than 100 posts... 

I have a question for you: should someone be picked who only comes here for free clubs? They’ll never participate, they’re simply here for themselves? 

I’ve been here for over 10 years. I too only post when I have something worthwhile to say, but I disagree with the notion that a random person should be selected to try new gear, and be trusted to fully review it in an honest and complete fashion. Over THREE THOUSAND people entered to review the TSi driver. One could apply for everything, every year, and STILL not get picked. Every single person who entered believed they deserved to be chosen.... Over 3,000 are upset. I applied. I didn’t get chosen... Those of us who have been around, have contributed with posts, and even give MGS money, don’t win! 

So, hopefully you’ll choose to be a part of the BEST golf community on the Internet, and will contribute ideas, thoughts, opinions, etc. MGS isn’t about getting free clubs, so here’s hoping you’ll experience that...

• Like 4

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

On 10/16/2020 at 11:39 AM, necostanzo said:

When I was selected to test out the new Wilson D7's last year, I was in the 100's range for posts, had only been a member for maybe 8months, and had never tested anything of real substance until then.

Since then I only enter my name for something I truly want to test, am passionate about, and know I will be committed to writing a full review of. Sure I'm as bummed as the next guy when I don't get selected, but I'm not in it for free clubs (but seriously, it is a nice perk!). I'm in it to evaluate a tool and convey my unique experience to the community and answer questions.

Don't lose heart, don't feel like you shouldn't post because no one will read it, don't take the tact of only posting "when you have something to say" because your advice or unique angle on ANY subject may be just what someone needs to hear at that time. Also, take it upon yourself to test something out and let the rest of the community know about it! There are only a few "official testing" opportunities and way too many gear options out there, so let us know your experience! 😁

• Like 7

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Evenflow Black 65 6.0

:ping-small:  Eye 2 Persimmon 3 Wood

:wilson_staff_small:  D7 4-GW, KBS 105

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2