TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Hogan vs. Callaway/Spalding/Original Hogan

Crowev01

I have played my Apex Plus Irons since 2000, and have a 5410 Signature Sand Wedge, 58* Riviera and a CFT 17* steel shafted hybrid. I had some Ben Hogan radial irons back when, and all of these clubs have distinct difference in feel and performance. Obviously tech is a factor, but that leads me to my question: anyone out there playing the new Hogan stuff? The Icon or Ptx Pro is closest to what I have, and I'm hoping someone out there can speak to the new stuff vs the old stuff. Also, I am dying to try the GS53 driver. Anyone slap that thing that has also tried other current year drivers? I love Hogan and want to support the brand, just haven't heard much about them apart from die hard Hogan fanatics. Thanks for the help, everyone! 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

I have played my Apex Plus Irons since 2000, and have a 5410 Signature Sand Wedge, 58* Riviera and a CFT 17* steel shafted hybrid. I had some Ben Hogan radial irons back when, and all of these clubs have distinct difference in feel and performance. Obviously tech is a factor, but that leads me to my question: anyone out there playing the new Hogan stuff? The Icon or Ptx Pro is closest to what I have, and I'm hoping someone out there can speak to the new stuff vs the old stuff. Also, I am dying to try the GS53 driver. Anyone slap that thing that has also tried other current year drivers? I love Hogan and want to support the brand, just haven't heard much about them apart from die hard Hogan fanatics. Thanks for the help, everyone! 

There were reviews done by MGS forum members.

Driver: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/37648-2020-official-member-review-hogan-gs53-driver/?do=getNewComment

Irons: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/?do=getNewComment

If you do some searches you might find some more.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I have read lots of reviews on them and everything looks good, just hoping to find some people familiar with the older Hogan stuff and how these compare. I would expect all of the MGS reviews to be fairly positive since they just got new equipment for free. Thanks for the links, some of these were helpful and included nuances I haven't seen in other reviews. 👍

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Cleveland 588 Wedges

I have read lots of reviews on them and everything looks good, just hoping to find some people familiar with the older Hogan stuff and how these compare. I would expect all of the MGS reviews to be fairly positive since they just got new equipment for free. Thanks for the links, some of these were helpful and included nuances I haven't seen in other reviews.

There is no expectation that the reviews are positive and there have been reviews that are negative. Reviewers are strongly encouraged to be critical.

As for the old vs new. I thing both are and were high quality pieces of equipment. While I never owned either, I really wanted Hogan irons in the 90s and beyond so I would hit them in stores when I could. I have tested the newer clubs as part of most wanted testing and they are solid clubs and I would definitely give them a try to see if they could earn a spot in the bag. The difficulty is that now that they are DTC, it is harder to demo the clubs since you can’t just walk into the store.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Ahhh, another Hogan guy.  I have 9 different sets of Hogan irons.  I have played the Apex Edge and the Apex Red Lines the most.  As for the new line of clubs, earlier this year I purchased the new Edge iron set which came out in 2018.  Ordered with the UST Recoil 760-F2 shafts senior flex.  Absolutely love them. Added the Equalizer wedge with 52 degrees of loft. It also performs beautifully.  I do not use a driver any longer, so I am looking at getting the 3 and 5 words next year.  You can always try the driver through the Hogan demo program on their website.  Hope this helps.

4-P Hogan Edge (2018 version)

52 degree Hogan Equalier wedge

Arnold Palmer The Original  putter

Founder Club  hybrid 18 degrees

Taylor Made Burner 3 & 5 wood.

I have played the apex plus Irons off and on since 2000. Love them, but I got the ptx Pro black Irons this spring, and they are amazing. Solid, soft and plenty of pop... and just as importantly, not too much pop. 

The never ending pursuit of better

Good post and as one of the recent combo iron testers, I believe I can give you some feedback. 

I grew up in the 80’s and 90’s and spent ages 14-26 working in golf as a caddy, bag boy, salesman and club pro. That was a time where you’d ALWAYS find a Hogan Apex iron loose and hanging around the lost and found.  The shafts were simply a red band with most often a 3 or 4 flex. They would reward a good shot but were far from the smoothest or softest forge you could hit...that honor from that era still belongs to the Mizuno Grad...yes, I said it  

Hogan's today have the benefit of a better selection of shafts but more importantly, a better sampling quality of steel.  The consistency of that product with a higher quality steel paired up with better shafts makes for a much better feel at impact. 

If you’re looking to discount the opinions simply because I didn’t pay for them, I wish you wouldn’t. I just spent $477 for new shafts, grips and ferrules to dial them in to what I want from these heads. 

I hope that helps you and if there are any more specific questions you have, please ask. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

On 10/17/2020 at 8:57 AM, verojoe said:

Ahhh, another Hogan guy.  I have 9 different sets of Hogan irons.  I have played the Apex Edge and the Apex Red Lines the most.  As for the new line of clubs, earlier this year I purchased the new Edge iron set which came out in 2018.  Ordered with the UST Recoil 760-F2 shafts senior flex.  Absolutely love them. Added the Equalizer wedge with 52 degrees of loft. It also performs beautifully.  I do not use a driver any longer, so I am looking at getting the 3 and 5 words next year.  You can always try the driver through the Hogan demo program on their website.  Hope this helps.

Great to hear. It looks like the new stuff is really living up to the original by all accounts. I have been thinking about the demo, I just know myself well enough to know if I like them they will be tough to send back. 😆

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Cleveland 588 Wedges

On 10/17/2020 at 9:18 AM, bens197 said:

Good post and as one of the recent combo iron testers, I believe I can give you some feedback. 

I grew up in the 80’s and 90’s and spent ages 14-26 working in golf as a caddy, bag boy, salesman and club pro. That was a time where you’d ALWAYS find a Hogan Apex iron loose and hanging around the lost and found.  The shafts were simply a red band with most often a 3 or 4 flex. They would reward a good shot but were far from the smoothest or softest forge you could hit...that honor from that era still belongs to the Mizuno Grad...yes, I said it  

Hogan's today have the benefit of a better selection of shafts but more importantly, a better sampling quality of steel.  The consistency of that product with a higher quality steel paired up with better shafts makes for a much better feel at impact. 

If you’re looking to discount the opinions simply because I didn’t pay for them, I wish you wouldn’t. I just spent $477 for new shafts, grips and ferrules to dial them in to what I want from these heads. 

I hope that helps you and if there are any more specific questions you have, please ask. 

Thanks for the feedback, and I even had a set of MP-33's for a while in between Hogan irons and liked them a lot, so I feel you there. 

And who cares if you didn't pay for them? They're still the same clubs and your opinion is just as valuable. All of these glowing reviews are making me consider the unthinkable, replacing my trusty Apex Plus. 😬

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Cleveland 588 Wedges

10 hours ago, Crowev01 said:

Thanks for the feedback, and I even had a set of MP-33's for a while in between Hogan irons and liked them a lot, so I feel you there. 

And who cares if you didn't pay for them? They're still the same clubs and your opinion is just as valuable. All of these glowing reviews are making me consider the unthinkable, replacing my trusty Apex Plus. 😬

Don't think of it as replacing the Apex Plus set;  think of it as just  giving them a little time off.  Then once in a while, take them out for a round for old time sake.  (That's how I ended up with 9 sets of Hogan).  Keep us posted on your decision.  

Just now, verojoe said:

Don't think of it as replacing the Apex Plus set;  think of it as just  giving them a little time off.  Then once in a while, take them out for a round for old time sake.  (That's how I ended up with 9 sets of Hogan).  Keep us posted on your decision.  

I just need an excuse to have 9 sets of Hogans! Does it feel like passing the pearly gates when you go into your club room? 😄

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Cleveland 588 Wedges

On 10/22/2020 at 10:57 PM, Crowev01 said:

I just need an excuse to have 9 sets of Hogans! Does it feel like passing the pearly gates when you go into your club room? 😄

Not quite the pearly gates, but it is close!  Amazing clubs.

I have a set of sorcery irons and Tkt15 wedges both with Recoil shafts in regular. Have not played them this year, yet as I have the Wilson D7’s dialed in. That said they are great irons.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 1 year later...
On 10/22/2020 at 7:55 PM, verojoe said:

I know this is a little old, but I love this comment. In my research for Hogan Apex Pluses people are either 1.) Still playing them or 2.) Wish they hadn't gotten rid of them. I've been collecting a few Apex Plus sets and while I haven't played a lot of other sets in my short golf life... I love these. If there are any problems with my shot... it's not the iron's fault. LOL.