TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft Advice/Recommendations

So, I got a new driver/shaft combo with the intention of bringing my ball flight down, I'm not sure the shaft I got is the shaft for me.

I went from a TaylorMade 09 9.5* Burner with a stock 50g Fujikura REAX Stiff Flex shaft to a

Taylormade R9 Superdeep 8.5* with a 60g Aldila 2.9 RIP Stiff Shaft.

I've lost alot of consistency with the driver! I can't really get the feel of the RIP shaft. Now, when I hit it, it REALLY goes, and the ball flight is right down where I'd hoped it would be. But in general the club feels very heavy and stiff, I really don't have a feel for where the clubhead is with this thing. I suspect its just bit stiff for my swing speed (110 avg) and that combined with it being heavier than my old shaft is just a bad combination.

Anyone have any recommendations for some lighter shafts that won't feel quite as stiff as this RIP? I'm going to go play around on the monitors at GolfSmith and see what they recommend but I don't want a new high dollar shaft.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

So, I got a new driver/shaft combo with the intention of bringing my ball flight down, I'm not sure the shaft I got is the shaft for me.

I went from a TaylorMade 09 9.5* Burner with a stock 50g Fujikura REAX Stiff Flex shaft to a

I've lost alot of consistency with the driver! I can't really get the feel of the RIP shaft. Now, when I hit it, it REALLY goes, and the ball flight is right down where I'd hoped it would be. But in general the club feels very heavy and stiff, I really don't have a feel for where the clubhead is with this thing. I suspect its just bit stiff for my swing speed (110 avg) and that combined with it being heavier than my old shaft is just a bad combination.

Anyone have any recommendations for some lighter shafts that won't feel quite as stiff as this RIP? I'm going to go play around on the monitors at GolfSmith and see what they recommend but I don't want a new high dollar shaft.

could be the head that is giving you the inconsistency.... The SuperDeep is one of the more difficult driver heads to hit. Try some other shafts, and you might find one that fits just right. I struggled with the stock RIP in my SD, but replaced it with Fubuki 63s, and it is Money... for me.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I hope its not the head! I don't think it is though, I've had the opportunity to hit the SD many times on the range and have always loved it and hit it well. I wasn't paying attention to the shafts I was demoing, guess I should have been! Haven't had a chance to get to a launch monitor yet, when I do I'll tell you what fancy new $300 shaft they think I should game and you guys can point me in the direction of a similar one under $100!

The best suggestion for a $100 dollar shaft if you want a mid launch to me is a voodoo or a UST tour green. Both are very good shafts and are very smooth. You can get both of the bay voodoo is $100 and the Tour green is 139 and that is for the real deal not a made for. I swear by my UST tour blacks that are in my hybrids and have had a couple usga pro's love how those feel (not the usga pro's from Dicks either).

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

I switched to a 65g UST Mayima shaft and had very good results today. It was a stock shaft from a standard R9. Launch angle was a bit higher than the RIP 2.9 but lower than my old Burner. The search will continue but I'm getting closer!

I switched to a 65g UST Mayima shaft and had very good results today. It was a stock shaft from a standard R9. Launch angle was a bit higher than the RIP 2.9 but lower than my old Burner. The search will continue but I'm getting closer!

LEss than $100 and works for a late release is the AXE 6+ in stiff. If you want lower flight then get the our model

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Trouble feeling the head can be caused by a shaft that's too stiff. That's the primary spec to check. Barring that, it comes down to secondary possibilities: a shaft that's too tip-stiffed (low torque), a swing weight that's too light, too high of a bend point in the shaft, a grip that is >5g heavier than your old model (raises the bend point and swing weight), or a head that's lighter than the original (again, raises the swing weight and bend point). To make things more fun, it could be a combination of these.

I highly doubt it's the head, but due to manufacturing tolerances, it shouldn't be brushed aside. The Superdeep would have to be 2g lighter to elicite one swingweight point of change in the wrong direction... but it takes most amateurs at least 3 swing weight points (6g) for a noticable difference.

Before you go shaft shopping, check the weights of the heads and the swing weights. If, say, you normally like a D4 and the SD/RIP (or UST) specs to D0, that may be your answer for feel right there. A little weight on the sole or in the tip and you may have your problem solved without a huge investment.

Thanks McGolf and Justin. I appreciate the input Justin, I've still got the UST shaft and am hitting the driver well, so its not the head. I'm borrowing that shaft though so I'm going to have to do something soon! I think the issue with RIP 2.9 is that it is too stiff in general and too tip stiff for sure. I have to really put maximum effort into my swing to get good results, and my swing is not consistent enough for me to swing that hard and get away with it!

The issues are that the SD has a tiny sweetspot and the RIP is one of the harsher shafts out there. It also plays a tad stiffer than most in the same flex rating. It's a real boardy shaft and hard to get used to.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Yes it is RB7, I knew when I ordered it that this club/shaft combo was probably going to really push the limits of the my capabilities. I'm not too surprised or upset that the shaft is just outside my range.

With the UST shaft I really am not finding the SD head to be unforgiving at all. I do typically hit the ball in the center(ish) of the clubface though.

As I've been sorting through these shaft issues I have gone back to my 09 Burner a couple times so I've gotten to do some back to back comparisons. I get MUCH better results with SD/UST Shaft than I do my Burner with the stock 55g Fuji in it. The Burner would tend to balloon on me and I never got any roll. The SD has a much more penetrating ball flight. Not a low ball but the ball is still going forward at a good pace after the peak! I'm getting an easy 10 yards extra on average and probably 20 yards on the best swings. I also find that I can work the ball a little more consistently with the SD. I think the ball overall spins less off the SD so it takes a bit more to get the ball to react, which for me is a good thing because it allows me to get away with overcooking a draw/fade attempt or just a poor swing and still keep the ball in play whereas with the Burner if I got too out of control that thing would spin off into the trees or OB!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, playing a Motore 65 stock R9 shaft and am really pretty happy with it, however, it is just on loan and I can't keep it! So, I see that GolfSpy Matt is selling an R11 Fujikura Blur 70 shaft, stiff flex, driver length.

How are these two shafts in comparison?

The Blur is higher launching and spinning than the Motore. It's also a tad looser in the tip section. Not a bad shaft if it fits you, but no where close to the same as the Motore. The TP Blur is better, as it's a real Blur and launches lower and spins less than the non-TP, which is a made for shaft.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Thanks RB7, so I'm trying to get a handle on this shaft stuff. It is seeming that the weight and torque numbers are what I'm really looking for.

The RIP is 60g and has a 2.9 Torque which is a bit much for me, I don't swing fast enough consistently enough for it.

The Motore 65g has a 3.2 Torque and it feels pretty good, although the club feels a bit heavy, I don't have the feel of the head that I like, but I get good results.

The Blur is 51g with 4.5 Torque

The Blur TS-65 is 3.3 Torque

So the blur is probably a bit too light and whippy, similar to my old Burner with 51g.

The Blur TS-65 is probably pretty similar to the Motore 65 I'm playing now and like if I'm understanding things properly.

• 5 months later...

Hey Top Secret Agent,

I'm a little late to the shaft party here, but thought I might add my experiences with a shaft or two. I've played the Superdeep, Supertri(s) and Superfast(s). The SD can be testy, but as you've stated, is a great driver. I found if I understood correctly, that you're looking to lower your ball flight w/o the boardy feel of the RIP. The Grafalloy Prolaunch Red in whatever flex fits you is the ticket for lower flight and lower price. These shafts can be found in the $30 to $40 range. The new Red AXIS shaft is supposed to be the predecessor to the PL Red, but I can't confirm that since I've not used that one yet.

Just for info, the Prolaunch Blue is a high launch shaft that is low priced too and it works as advertised also. I would go as far as stating, for my use, that the Grafalloy Red and Blue are very comparative to the higher dollar shafts like the Diamana WB and BB at much sweeter prices. YMMV, but for the price of the Grafalloy's, you may be happy.

Good Luck – The Hound

Archived