TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Net Drills

Hey All,

Long time MGSer but first forum post: I just recieved a great golf net for my birthday and I was wondering if anyone had a great resource for training drills or smart accessories to go with it. Love smashing balls into it as a quick warm up and for fun, but would love to really get the most out of it.

Mid-hi handicapper at 15-16 but can follow drills and techniques really well.

Thanks!

JP

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero - 10.5 - Project X HZRDUS Blue RDX

Titleist U510 - #1 - Project X HZRDUS Black 

Titleist U510 - #3 - Project X HZRDUS Black 

Titleist U510 - #4- Project X HZRDUS Black 

Mizuno HMB 20 - 5 through P - Nippon NS Pro 

Titleist Scotty Camron - Studio Design 2.5

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS (for the 2021 season)

Hey JDP!

Welcome to the form.. well sort of based on your post

So IMO nets are a tough thing to really quantify the benefits with. Not saying they're not helpful but unless you really know your swing and the feeling of a well struck ball, and how the feeling will equate to spin and shape of the shot, it's just really hard to know without some kind of launch monitor to accompany you.

The drills I'd recommend would utilize more the clubs or other equipment and the net just happens to be there to keep the ball in your yard.

The old foot spray on the club face drill is good for ball striking accuracy and feedback.

Spray still won't do much for club path training. I've been really curious about trying one of these out myself.. but again, other equipment and not the net. https://champkeyusa.com/champkey-13quot-17quot-tracker-golf-practice-hitting-mat-traces-analysis-amp-correct-your-swing-path-p0038.html

I probably use my net more for chipping practice than smashing balls. It's a good target, and you can get some really good applicable practice with 30 feet of space. And believe it or not, chipping as a fundamental IMO for a mid to higher hdcp can hold more value than irons or driver. Chances are you probably don't anticipate landing the green in 2 shots a good majority of the time, so your 3rd shot needs to be a well-placed chip in order to have a chance at par or bogey.

Hopefully that was at all somewhat helpful. Best of luck on your journey to improvement!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I got a net this summer as well and have been using it frequently. I would agree that there are limited things you can do with it. Chipping and pitching to it as a target are good. It is hard to understand the ball flight but usually can feel solid contact. I find it best to pair with range sessions as well to make sure I am not grooving a hook or slice. It's a great tool just to get swings in with some contact everyday. My swing has felt a bit more consistent this year.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

11 hours ago, azstu324 said:

"Not saying they're not helpful but unless you really know your swing and the feeling of a well struck ball, and how the feeling will equate to spin and shape of the shot, it's just really hard to know without some kind of launch monitor to accompany you."

Thanks for the awesome response azstu324 , that was my initial feeling with it, "This is awesome, I love it, now how do I use it to make me better..." As much as I would love adding a launch monitor, I think thats a bit out of my league at the moment. I like the idea of that mat, something that can aide in swing path and alignment a little bit. And never even thought about using it for chipping practice, thats too obvious.

one correction: I anticipate landing on the green in two shots EVERY TIME... that said I'm 50% GIR at my best 😅 

10 hours ago, JDP said:

Thanks for the awesome response azstu324 , that was my initial feeling with it, "This is awesome, I love it, now how do I use it to make me better..." As much as I would love adding a launch monitor, I think thats a bit out of my league at the moment. I like the idea of that mat, something that can aide in swing path and alignment a little bit. And never even thought about using it for chipping practice, thats too obvious.

one correction: I anticipate landing on the green in two shots EVERY TIME... that said I'm 50% GIR at my best 😅 

While you could buy a specialized mat,  some driveway markers/alignment sticks would help with your setup and swing direction. 

Adam Young posted a 3 day challenge to help with center face contact,  low point, and swing depth.  You can probably still sign up here:  https://www.adamyounggolf.com/3-day-golf-challenge/

You can work verify launch angle by putting a target at different heights and hitting the target.   

The net is to prevent golf balls from going places they shouldn't so you could do the ladder challenge  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

one correction: I anticipate landing on the green in two shots EVERY TIME... that said I'm 50% GIR at my best  

Hopefully no offense was taken by my comment. Of course we all hope to reach the green in 2 right? Reality is that most don't.. not even lower handicaps. Not bragging on hdcp but I'm in the single digits currently and I don't anticipate hitting all greens in reg. That said, my wedge game is my bail-out and a huge contributing factor to my overall game AND all because I've put in loads of time practicing.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

No no, no offense taken, was just joshing around azstu324! Truely appreciate the advice!

10 hours ago, cnosil said:

Adam Young posted a 3 day challenge to help with center face contact,  low point, and swing depth.  You can probably still sign up here:  https://www.adamyounggolf.com/3-day-golf-challenge/

I will have to look into that, center of the clubface consistency has been tough this year. definitely holding me back a bit this season, seem to have picked up a tough miss off the toe the second half of this season for some reason.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 2:35 PM, ejgaudette said:

I got a net this summer as well and have been using it frequently. I would agree that there are limited things you can do with it. Chipping and pitching to it as a target are good. It is hard to understand the ball flight but usually can feel solid contact. I find it best to pair with range sessions as well to make sure I am not grooving a hook or slice. It's a great tool just to get swings in with some contact everyday. My swing has felt a bit more consistent this year.

How are you using it as a target to chip and pitch to? My short game needs a lot of work and this seems like it would work for technique but I really need to work on distance control. Any tips you guys can share would be appreciated.

I like it just as a target when try to land it at the bottom but don't have to chase them if I hit them too hard. Could easily move back and forth as needed to work on the distance control. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

I don't use my net for chipping and pitching practice; I suppose I would if I lived in a colder climate.  I use it for contact practice on 3/4 to full shots with my gap wedge (need that).  I need to see a landing spot for chips and short pitches with rollout, so all of that practice is at the course.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I need to setup that ladder drill and get some hockey pads. 😅. I was planning on hanging string vertically to make uprights to hit through based on 5 degrees of dispersion left or right of target. 

Directional control is the biggest risk hitting blind into a net, in my opinion some of the best uses for nets without any other feedback:

- max effort driver swings to build swing speed and coordination
- low point control drills with a towel laid behind the ball
- impact location feedback with foot spray or dry erase marker
- BONUS: if you have a SC200, 200+, 300 launch monitor: hitting 40-100 yard wedges to groove backswing length and feel on those shots. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• 1 month later...

In Spring with course closed and COVID the net was my outlet, even set-up a small sand trap to hit into net.  through year have also hit many balls into net.  The best drill I have found is to setup phone camera for slow motion. Either behind or in front of you like on TV.  I bought a little gizmo on Amazon that attaches phone to alignment stick. Tried both views with 2 phones but synching them on one screen is not worth it.   

Just like a lesson where the pro shows you what you are doing typically outside on phone, you have the ability to do same.   What you will uncover is surprisingly obvious for even a non-pro.  You can always compare your swing to one on TV or computer if you need data points.  What I have found includes:  bad set-up, overswing, too much left foot movement, too little left foot movement, bad tilt angle, good tilt angle, etc.   

It is not perfect, not as good as Trackman session or real lesson but low cost way to get better.                           

IMG_0119.PNG

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago