Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

AMT black or AMT red

I am planning to get a set of Titleist

Either T200 or T100s 

I like the setup on the T100 but T200 have stronger lofts so it goes farther.

Now question is, what shaft should I get AMT Black or AMT Red? 

I hear the red has a higher kick point might balloon my shots meanwhile black has a mid to high point which would be ideal with the T200.

I am also turning 41 and getting older so you know club head speed will decrease as I get older. I want a set that will last awhile. Im not going for any Senior Open qualifiers later in my life. Maybe.

So wondering whether to take Regular shafts or Stiff. Then black or red AMT.

Any reviews or experiences would be much appreciated.

Ed

I used to coach The First Tee of San Francisco

Im about 63 holes in with my T100sT200 combo with AMT Black in regular. 

im probably well below you in SS and definitely in age. 76 MPH 7 iron and 61. 

I have the black in R300.  They are about 98g i think in weight.  Which is right where i like to be.   The instructor im working with, likes them for me.  But said i could also do well with a graphite maybe in the 80g or so.

Which is exactly what i had in my T300 the KBS TGI80 which I really really liked   If i find the AMT don’t work out  ilI’ll probably reshaft to the TGI or possibly accra 80g

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

@Theslomo the difference between the two of about 10g and high launch red to mid launch black. 

9g shaft weight is only 1 swing weight point so, I would think about your tendency. Do you have more problem with launching too high (get black) or too low (get red). 

I am 43 and, I would not personally choose the red because lower launch, and more weight, helps me more than lighter and higher launch. I play stiff flex shafts in the 108-115g range. My typical 15 year old Ping G2 7i carries about 155-160yds (about the same loft as the new 8i lofts). 

My local PGA Pro harps on his students to stay away of adding weight because it can only decrease speed and increase exertion - his opinion. Ralph Maltby says play the lightest shaft you can be consistent with. I'm in the camp of playing the shaft that helps me swing freely and, 90-95g shafts feel too light for me where I feel like I have to swing softer to be consistent. When I want to step on a 7i I can get an extra 5-10 yards but, not when it has a lighter shaft. 

The following are general statements from a couch coach - armchair advice to ponder. Not 100% accurate for all players - very general. 

As far as weight goes, if you have a wild swing then more weight helps smooth it out. 

If you struggle with swing speed then lighter weight can help with speed (until it is too light). 

I watch a lot of TXG videos and, they talk about the shaft as a timing device so, once you find a weight and flex that fits then you will be able to swing more naturally, unincumbered, and more fluid. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

So you are saying the red AMT shafts are better if I want to hit a club that is lighter and get the ball up in the air more.

I tend to hit my ball high so I should get the black to get it lower. I can see your point. I was thinking the same stick with Black AMT but now Stiff or Regular. I probably just have to test both 7 irons and see which lighter shaft I can control. I definitely need help with some distance. My swing speed is usually around 109 but I tried my friends True Temper S300 P790 7 iron and my swing speed went up to 112 and carried farther. So I can try regular AMT black and Stiff and see which I can control better

1 hour ago, Theslomo said:

So you are saying the red AMT shafts are better if I want to hit a club that is lighter and get the ball up in the air more.

I tend to hit my ball high so I should get the black to get it lower. I can see your point. I was thinking the same stick with Black AMT but now Stiff or Regular. I probably just have to test both 7 irons and see which lighter shaft I can control. I definitely need help with some distance. My swing speed is usually around 109 but I tried my friends True Temper S300 P790 7 iron and my swing speed went up to 112 and carried farther. So I can try regular AMT black and Stiff and see which I can control better

How did you calculate the swing speed? Tour pros don't usually swing irons that fast. Was that your ball speed? Were you using a radar or launch monitor?

If it was ball speed then swing speed would be closer to 85mph. If that is KPH then it would be closer to 68MPH. 

Additionally, if you swing S300 shafts faster then you might want to think more about AMT White which is closer in weight to a S300. 

If your swing speed is 110 mph with an iron then you should be swinging X flex. That is why I am questioning your numbers. 

What club do you use from 150 yards out?

7i - R Flex, 8i - S Flex

From http://ralphmaltby.com/what-is-my-mpf-rating/

The graphic is from that link and I added the L - ladies/lite, A - senior, R - regular, S - stiff, and X - extra stiff. This is an old tool that could be one flex off if the clubs are strong lofted/loft jacked where a 9i is really an 8i loft etc. 

One other thing to consider, if you are between flexes, I mean right on the fence, the lighter flex will generally provide more spin and more spin can mean a higher Apex. The stiffer flex will generally add more control. 

Screenshot_20201018-201431.png

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

oops you are right I used my friends tiny launch monitor, its ball speed bot swing speed.

With my 7 iron stiff rifle shafts my ball speed averages at 109 maybe 110, then I tried his P790s TM 7iron True temper S300 it went up to 112 and even 115 mph.

Lighter, I will try to get fitted, thinking about going to GolfTech, one opened up in Colma, bay area. Do you know if they are good in club fitting?

By the way I did that test, it says 2C3M after clicking the link, it does not work anymore, so what does that mean?

Edited by Theslomo

On 10/22/2020 at 5:32 PM, Theslomo said:

oops you are right I used my friends tiny launch monitor, its ball speed bot swing speed.

With my 7 iron stiff rifle shafts my ball speed averages at 109 maybe 110, then I tried his P790s TM 7iron True temper S300 it went up to 112 and even 115 mph.

Lighter, I will try to get fitted, thinking about going to GolfTech, one opened up in Colma, bay area. Do you know if they are good in club fitting?

By the way I did that test, it says 2C3M after clicking the link, it does not work anymore, so what does that mean?

The 2 is Senior Flex, but you are probably closer to R flex = 3

The C is Control, try B which is  both distance and control

The 3 is High launch

The M is no correction for slice of hook. 

A S300 shaft is Stiff flex which for your ball speed would seem to much. It could come down to the club just being stronger lofted than yours to produce higher ball speeds. Your ball speed would translate roughly to 78-81MPH with an iron (even +5-10 with driver) which translates more to R flex than Senior flex. 

That would change your MPF shaft to 3C3M which also doesn't show any results but, 3B3M does https://www.golfworks.com/search.aspx?ss=3b3m

And to your original question, that would be the AMT Red in R flex

Edited by Buffly
Added info

My swing speed is slower than yours but I was fit into and play S flex shafts.  Not sure SS is the only thing to consider.  If you have a teacher you're using, get them to help with the decision.  Don't just guess at it.  If you have the ability to get a couple of demo irons, hit them outside and see which you prefer.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

• 5 months later...

tempo, ball speed, and peak height

A rule of thumb for optimal carry, your peak height in feet should be similar to your 6 iron swing speed. Example, 6 iron swing speed = 80 mph, the peak height should be 80 feet +/- 10% for most/all clubs

The AMT line is for a smooth tempo, what's your tempo, slow, smooth or fast?

Both optimized will provide better contact and increased ball speed. 

WITB 

TM M5 9(10.5) - Fujikura PRO 2.0 6R][ Titleist TS2 16.5(17.25) - Diamana Thump ][ Titleist 917F 21 - Diamana S+ 72

Titleist TSi2 5 (24) - Tensei Raw AV Blue 65 ][ Titleist 818H 27 - GD Tour AD DI 85

Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6 - PW, N.S. Pro MODUS3 Tour 120

Vega VW-06 52, 56, 60

Ping B60 and/or

Scotty Cameron STUDIO STAINLESS® LAGUNA 2.5 and/or 

Mizuno M-Craft V - 34" 

On 10/22/2020 at 8:32 PM, Theslomo said:

Go to titleist.com select fitting and then club fitting. Search on your location and find a titleist Thursday. They are free and will have all the heads and shafts and will get you in the right setup 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Go to titleist.com select fitting and then club fitting. Search on your location and find a titleist Thursday. They are free and will have all the heads and shafts and will get you in the right setup 

By me they are $100. Where is this free you speak of?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

By me they are $100. Where is this free you speak of?

Everywhere I’ve been and others I’ve talked to in other states. If there’s a fee it could be the course charging the fee to host the event and not actually titleist that’s charging it

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1