Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Unofficial Review: L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 Putter

edingc

1 hour ago, yungkory said:

Welcome to the family!

Thanks.  Looking forward to giving it a go.  They have been talked about a lot at HQ and amongst some of the testers. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Nice. I almost pulled the trigger on a used daily deal from golf brokers. My wife talked me off of it

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

The nice thing about having an ExPutt is that I can evaluate distance control and face angle with different putters.  Ran some tests last night and found that the putter face was angle at impact was generally less than .5* and often within .2*.  I have been doing some research on how to get the most pit if this putter especially about ball position and stopping the hands from steering the putter.  It is a little bit of a change to how I putt but doesn’t seem to be a hard transition with the biggest impact being distance control from 20’ and longer. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

The nice thing about having an ExPutt is that I can evaluate distance control and face angle with different putters.  Ran some tests last night and found that the putter face was angle at impact was generally less than .5* and often within .2*.  I have been doing some research on how to get the most pit if this putter especially about ball position and stopping the hands from steering the putter.  It is a little bit of a change to how I putt but doesn’t seem to be a hard transition with the biggest impact being distance control from 20’ and longer. 

Having numbers is so nice, all I have to go off of is BURYING PUTTS LEFT AND RIGHT LETS GOOOOOOOO! 😂

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

• 3 weeks later...

Have had the DF 2.1 in the bag for a few rounds and I am definitely impressed.  I am beyond the looks and I just take my putting setup and swing the putter.  As a person that typically is a die the ball into the hole type of putter, I find I need to hit the ball a little harder since the ball comes up short or does that last second turn to miss left or right.  While I know it really isn’t any different than other putters the ball just seems to stay on its line and roll true.  I practice with a ball i sharpied to be half black and I am consistently able to get the ball rolling true which means I am delivering the face square.  Confidence is building with this putter and it should stay in the bag for a while.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 8:26 AM, cnosil said:

Have had the DF 2.1 in the bag for a few rounds and I am definitely impressed.  I am beyond the looks and I just take my putting setup and swing the putter.  As a person that typically is a die the ball into the hole type of putter, I find I need to hit the ball a little harder since the ball comes up short or does that last second turn to miss left or right.  While I know it really isn’t any different than other putters the ball just seems to stay on its line and roll true.  I practice with a ball i sharpied to be half black and I am consistently able to get the ball rolling true which means I am delivering the face square.  Confidence is building with this putter and it should stay in the bag for a while.  

People swear by these putters.  I do wonder if the price influences the overwhelming positivity.  Like, “I spent $750, so yeah it’s a great putter!”  I don’t expect that from our fellow Spies doing their own reviews.

I would love to see someone compare between the L.A.B., Edel, and the Justin Rose putters.  

I’ve rolled the Edel and the Justin Rose before.  I liked the Edel.  It felt impossible to make a bad stroke.  With the Rose, it wasn’t the same.  Just didn’t feel as perfectly balanced.  I’ve never rolled a L.A.B. 

I’m glad it’s working well for you all!

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_CS said:

People swear by these putters.  I do wonder if the price influences the overwhelming positivity.  Like, “I spent $750, so yeah it’s a great putter!”  I don’t expect that from our fellow Spies doing their own reviews.

I would love to see someone compare between the L.A.B., Edel, and the Justin Rose putters.  

I’ve rolled the Edel and the Justin Rose before.  I liked the Edel.  It felt impossible to make a bad stroke.  With the Rose, it wasn’t the same.  Just didn’t feel as perfectly balanced.  I’ve never rolled a L.A.B. 

I’m glad it’s working well for you all!

IMO, the LAB putters have to be fit to you to work well.  Is the Justin Rose putter the Axis?  I have putted with them on a practice green but could never get used to them.   I was fit for an Edel and I would say it is completely different than the LAB as their design concepts are completely different.   

The LAB putters are definitely interesting and right now I am falling a little out of favor as I am really struggling with distance control.  

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

The LAB putters are definitely interesting and right now I am falling a little out of favor as I am really struggling with distance control.  

I mentioned this in another post, I believe, but I find my distance control to be significantly improved with the LAB. But I attribute that more to the Press grip than the head design.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

15 hours ago, cnosil said:

IMO, the LAB putters have to be fit to you to work well.  Is the Justin Rose putter the Axis?  I have putted with them on a practice green but could never get used to them.   I was fit for an Edel and I would say it is completely different than the LAB as their design concepts are completely different.   

Yes, it was the Axis.  I just couldn’t  get past the looks of it, and it didn’t seem to do what it was supposed to do as well as the Edel.  With the Edel, it felt like you couldn’t make a bad stroke if you wanted to.

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

• 4 weeks later...

There really must be something to these putters to keep a topic going for over two years and when they are such a substantial investment. 

Trying to find one anywhere within 300 miles has proven to be impossible and i would really need to try one before dropping that sort of coin down on a club.

From what i see on here (and other sites) is that they appear to be the real deal and generally work quite well for everyone.

The search continues..

I am brand agnostic. If it is in my bag it is because it works for me...

• 4 months later...

@edingc if you still hear a ‘tuning fork’ type sound on off center hits, this is a known problem on a few putters built within a certain time frame, that LAB will fix for free. they apparently have a different shaft install procedure now than when yours was built. if you’re still having that issue send an email to [email protected]

just looked this up for you since I wanted to be sure (I heard this a while ago), but take a listen to the ‘Balls N Holes’ ‘GOAT LAB Golf’ July 13th podcast with Sam Hahn, starting at the 44:45 mark, where they discuss what may be going on with your putter. It’s not a functional problem but they can fix it if it’s the same thing they are discussing. 

Nice thread by the way.  

edit: on the embedded player the timing is different for some reason, and the section in question starts with 25:15 to go.

F02F92A9-F60B-49C3-BF42-61B354A90764.jpeg

Edited by ryan.mzzz

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

• 1 year later...

With all the excitement around LAB decided to try some stuff.

Mezz for me was not great. Couldn't aim it properly and my distance control was all over the place.

Link was very nice.  Was exactly my specs the demo. Had good heft and feel. Would consider it but felt that I wanted something higher MOI to get the full lab experience. 

DF3 was next.  Only demo was 45 inches.  Choked up it felt light and it was 30 grams lighter. But I did like the feel and roll it put on the ball.  Was strongly considering it but would have to go custom to get shorter length and heavier head. Plus lead time on an order was going to be 6 weeks. Was ready to pull the trigger when I started reading a bunch of reviews and threads on the DF2.1. Most of not all were glowing and the only con was the size. 

Well I find a  store that has my specs( stock 33) available to order.

Just came in yesterday.  Actually really like the look.  So far in limited testing the feel is not far behind the DF3. The weight is better.  It seems easily the most forgiving in the lineup in terms of off center hits. I was purposely hitting them off the toe and there was zero difference in roll. 

Also it puts a much better end over end roll on the ball compared to my gamer. All at a better price too. 

I think for people interested in a LAB putter,  if they don't mind the looks,  this is still their best performer. They have done a very good job with the lineup to cater to a wider audience but this is still the Rolls Royce of the lineup. 

5 minutes ago, Canabuc said:

With all the excitement around LAB decided to try some stuff.

Mezz for me was not great. Couldn't aim it properly and my distance control was all over the place.

Link was very nice.  Was exactly my specs the demo. Had good heft and feel. Would consider it but felt that I wanted something higher MOI to get the full lab experience. 

DF3 was next.  Only demo was 45 inches.  Choked up it felt light and it was 30 grams lighter. But I did like the feel and roll it put on the ball.  Was strongly considering it but would have to go custom to get shorter length and heavier head. Plus lead time on an order was going to be 6 weeks. Was ready to pull the trigger when I started reading a bunch of reviews and threads on the DF2.1. Most of not all were glowing and the only con was the size. 

Well I find a  store that has my specs( stock 33) available to order.

Just came in yesterday.  Actually really like the look.  So far in limited testing the feel is not far behind the DF3. The weight is better.  It seems easily the most forgiving in the lineup in terms of off center hits. I was purposely hitting them off the toe and there was zero difference in roll. 

Also it puts a much better end over end roll on the ball compared to my gamer. All at a better price too. 

I think for people interested in a LAB putter,  if they don't mind the looks,  this is still their best performer. They have done a very good job with the lineup to cater to a wider audience but this is still the Rolls Royce of the lineup. 

I love the DF2.1 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Would love to know tricks to allow the putter to swing freely. I have this terrible habit of my eyes following the putter back from the ball on backswing. Always have and subconsciously I likely try to straighten out the arc.
When I close my eyes I can't and I literally hit 9 of 10 balls in the small hole on the perfect practice matt.
I want to reproduce that feeling.
Wondering if i should try looking at the hole or how to focus better on ball and just let putter swing naturally.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Canadoc said:

Would love to know tricks to allow the putter to swing freely. I have this terrible habit of my eyes following the putter back from the ball on backswing. Always have and subconsciously I likely try to straighten out the arc.
When I close my eyes I can't and I literally hit 9 of 10 balls in the small hole on the perfect practice matt.
I want to reproduce that feeling.
Wondering if i should try looking at the hole or how to focus better on ball and just let putter swing naturally.

Focus on the ball or a spot on the ball; quiet eye approach.   Or simply putt with your eyes closed like you do during practice.    

33 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Focus on the ball or a spot on the ball; quiet eye approach.   Or simply putt with your eyes closed like you do during practice.    

Not sure I would trust putting eyes closed. Will try quiet eye or looking at the hole 

5 hours ago, Canabuc said:

Not sure I would trust putting eyes closed. Will try quiet eye or looking at the hole 

But you said you make 9 out of 10 during practice; playing a normal round shouldn't be any different.  

20 minutes ago, cnosil said:

But you said you make 9 out of 10 during practice; playing a normal round shouldn't be any different.  

That is on a straight 8 foot putt in my basement....

23 minutes ago, Canadoc said:

That is on a straight 8 foot putt in my basement....

People will say all putts are hit like a straight putt.   Do what you want,  I would choose eyes closed over looking at the hole 100% of the time.  

19 minutes ago, cnosil said:

People will say all putts are hit like a straight putt.   Do what you want,  I would choose eyes closed over looking at the hole 100% of the time.  

I guess if I'm not embarrassed using the DF2.1 I shouldn't be embarrassed closing my eyes🤣

5 minutes ago, Canadoc said:

I guess if I'm not embarrassed using the DF2.1 I shouldn't be embarrassed closing my eyes🤣

if people say anything refer them to the professionals that have used the eyes closed approach

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/07/14/olympics-tokyo-2021-anne-van-dam-putting-eyes-closed/

https://golf.com/instruction/putting/can-eyes-closed-putting-work-for-average-golfer/

Think I will go quiet eye. Sort of space out my focus then after ball hit can sooner see if I am online.

Even though I was fit at 33 inches I think 33.5 inches would be ideal for me. Wondering if getting grip pulled and extending half inch would have any real effect on the balance. It's only half inch.

I likely can stay still but my hands are pretty much at end of grip and if I experiment left hand low I need to bend more or my right handles past end of grip.

I own other 34 inch putters and find them a bit long and choke up nearly an inch...