TESTERS WANTED! ×

Chisag's Tip Of The Day #17

Love this. There's always that period of time where everything feels weird, but it usually helps. I had a pro tell me to hit a bucket of balls with an absurdly weak grip. My hand was so far over, it felt hard to hang on to the club. I have always hooked it, and forcing the hand that far kept my plane shallow and forced a fade. I have a pretty neutral grip now, but will practice that from time to time and it has done wonders going out to in. Obviously a different circumstance, but unsettling at first. 

Now, do you offer putting lessons? 😆

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

Thx for the insightful, interesting and always informative posts!! 👍

I've been working on my putting mechanics, and with the help of an AimPoint lesson have been working on my green reading skills ... and have been toying with the idea of taking the ER5 in for a putter fitting to see if there may be something that could be improved there, too ... I think I'm gonna do it!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

OK, I did it ... a putter fitting ...

Went in to a well-regarded independent local shop and came out with - just a small adjustment to my setup!!

Now that may sound like nothing, but based on what the fitter was measuring .. and seeing .. before & after he determined that with the change I'm contacting the ball close to dead center on the face much more consistently ... which "should" (quote-unquote) help me improve both start line and speed control.

And, interesting, re: my putter - originally I'd thought it might need to be adjusted +1* upright (thought the loft was good). Was also willing, going in, to trying out different putters.

After analyzing my stroke and having me putt 7 and 3, plus a few 20, footers he determined that my current putter .. its style, length, lie and loft .. are a good match for me. Huh!

So.. what was the setup change? Move back from the ball "a skosh". Seriously, that was what he said and what we worked on. Turned out to be about 1 cm, or just less than about 1/2 in. Before I'd been lining up with my dominant (left) eye over the ball -- now I'm lining up with my eyeline just on the inside edge of the ball. He showed me how to set up in front of a mirror to where I could see that the putterhead was perfectly flat to the ground, and also to get a view of the distance of my feet from the ball, and the angle of the shaft to the ground, as reference points. 

Have not been back out on the course yet, but definitely am practicing this at home!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg