Trying to get to PAT, need a driver

Crowev01

So, I set a goal for myself to pass the PAT next summer, and I've already gotten from mid 80's to mid 70's over the last 4 months. I'm currently using a Titleist 975j with an EI-70 stiff shaft, but it's time to make a change. No matter how perfect the contact, im still getting outdriven by dudes missing hard and working wild shots back into the fairway. If I block it at all, forget it. I feel like I need something more forgiving and benefitting from the insane tech since my old baby was born. 

I have two kids 3yrs and 3 months, so all of my money is going to diapers. I do, have lots of "turn of the (20th) century" gear and a couple of collectible ping putters I could swap someone. I know it's a long shot, but you all seem pretty cool. 😙

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

On 10/17/2020 at 8:20 PM, Crowev01 said:

So, I set a goal for myself to pass the PAT next summer, and I've already gotten from mid 80's to mid 70's over the last 4 months. I'm currently using a Titleist 975j with an EI-70 stiff shaft, but it's time to make a change. No matter how perfect the contact, im still getting outdriven by dudes missing hard and working wild shots back into the fairway. If I block it at all, forget it. I feel like I need something more forgiving and benefitting from the insane tech since my old baby was born. 

I have two kids 3yrs and 3 months, so all of my money is going to diapers. I do, have lots of "turn of the (20th) century" gear and a couple of collectible ping putters I could swap someone. I know it's a long shot, but you all seem pretty cool. 😙

I have a Callaway Razr-Fit, 8.5 deg, S-Flex, Mid Torque that is roughly 12 years newer tech than your 975J. It can adjusted standard, open, or closed. It was my upgrade from the GBB I had used up until 2018 and it made a BIG difference.  Then I was selected to test the PING G410P and that moved the Razr-Fit to storage.  If that's of interest, it's yours for the price of shipping via Paypal.

499609152_G410vsRazrFit.jpg.50ddfa52e194182dccc8280a0dfc93d0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 4

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

13 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I have a Callaway Razr-Fit, 8.5 deg, S-Flex, Mid Torque that is roughly 12 years newer tech than your 975J. It can adjusted standard, open, or closed. It was my upgrade from the GBB I had used up until 2018 and it made a BIG difference.  Then I was selected to test the PING G410P and that moved the Razr-Fit to storage.  If that's of interest, it's yours for the price of shipping via Paypal.

499609152_G410vsRazrFit.jpg.50ddfa52e194182dccc8280a0dfc93d0.jpg

I dont even know what to say...😭😭😭😭

• Like 1

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Cleveland 588 Wedges

If you want to discuss PAT and how to pass. PM me.

I was on the PAT Tour for a few years when I first got into the business.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Driver -   :srixon-small: ZX 7 9.5° Ventus VeloCore Blue S
Fairway -  Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

Fairway - Tour Edge Exotics CB2 18° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

Hey Spies.  We need some help/info here.  Anyone know the approximate cost to ship a driver from MT to CA?  Thanks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

If you want to discuss PAT and how to pass. PM me.

I was on the PAT Tour for a few years when I first got into the business.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

PAT tour 😂😂😂 I love it. I'll message you, would love to hear your perspective. 👊

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Cleveland 588 Wedges

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Hey Spies.  We need some help/info here.  Anyone know the approximate cost to ship a driver from MT to CA?  Thanks.

use a USPS shipping site like pirateship.com or stamps.com, etc and keep the box dimensions under 48x6x6. I just shipped a driver from Chicago, IL to Fairfax, VA for $8.60 (+ insurance, etc but probably not needed on a free driver) using pirate ship. I think the shipping tool on paypal also gives the same or similar discount off normal USPS rates. Definitely don't go into the post office....the 3-wood I bought here a couple of weeks ago the guy took it into the post office and said he was charged $35 to send if from Tucson, AZ to Chicago.  

Edit: you only use the website to generate the shipping label. Once you have it all boxed up and the label on it, you should be able to just drop it off at the post office. 

Edited by ChitownM2
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

use a USPS shipping site like pirateship.com or stamps.com, etc and keep the box dimensions under 48x6x6. I just shipped a driver from Chicago, IL to Fairfax, VA for $8.60 (+ insurance, etc but probably not needed on a free driver) using pirate ship. I think the shipping tool on paypal also gives the same or similar discount off normal USPS rates. Definitely don't go into the post office....the 3-wood I bought here a couple of weeks ago the guy took it into the post office and said he was charged $35 to send if from Tucson, AZ to Chicago.  

Edit: you only use the website to generate the shipping label. Once you have it all boxed up and the label on it, you should be able to just drop it off at the post office. 

Thanks @ChitownM2.  I used pirateship.com (first time) and it was $9.93 from MT to CA, Priority 3 day with $100 insurance and tracking.  I found a box another driver had been shipped in and it was the dimensions you note above.  Easy to sign-up for an account and the website is easy to use.  A really handy service. Now we get to see if it works 🙂

• Like 4

PAT tour [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I love it. I'll message you, would love to hear your perspective. [emoji109]

I’m also always available if u ever need man.
  • Like 1

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 (7.25*) - Tensei AV Raw White 65 X Tipped 1.5" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T1 Position

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi3 (14.25*) - Tensei AV Raw White 70 X Tipped 1" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T Position

Driving Iron: :titelist-small: U500 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke (X)

Irons (4-6) :mizuno-small: MP18 SC - KBS C-Taper X-Stiff

Irons (7-P) :mizuno-small: MP18 - KBS C-Taper X Stiff

Wedges: QAJzq7h.jpg SM7 Jet Black 50.F.12 / 55.S.11 - X100

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpgBlack ER2 (Finish Courtesy of NorCal Putters) 

Bag:  :titelist-small: Hybrid 14

Glove:  Under Armour Strikeskin Tour

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1 Yellow #3

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Instagram: @dpattgolf

On 10/21/2020 at 10:45 PM, DPattGolf said:

I’m also always available if u ever need man.

Same...PAT Graduating class of 2003 😀

• Like 3
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

On 10/29/2020 at 8:14 PM, Crowev01 said:

To everyone that commented on this thread:

I got the new driver a few days ago, and today was the first time out since my Covid isolation. One of my playing buddies gave me a kn95 mask so we could get out on the course. 

They noticed my ratty 975J headcover was missing pretty much right away. The 1st hole is a short, tight dog par 4, so I hit the regular six iron, and we all parred so I hit last on the second tee. Its a 400yd par 4, straight away, and I usually have 135 or so left. I ripped my tee shot, got a bunch of oh wows, and staggered up to my ball, 80 yds out. I hit it over 300 4 times and didn't miss a fairway. 

I'm always out there hyping technique over technology, but today, I got a front row seat at the seminar. Thanks to all, and now I have to rethink every play off of the tee. 

The future is now! 

what driver did you procure?

• Like 1

Driver -  :titelist-small: 917 D2 9.5* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana Red or :cobra-small: F8

Fairway -  :titelist-small: 915 F 16.5 w/ Mitsubishi Diamana Blue

Hybrid -  :titelist-small: 915 Hd 20.5 w/ Mitsubishi Diamana Blue

Irons -  :cobra-small: Speed zone 4/5/6/7/8/9/P with KBS v tour steel stiff shafts

Wedges -   :vokey-small: SM8 black 50 SM6 black 56/60

Putter -  :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne stealth black

Ball -  :OnCore: Elixr optic yellow or :taylormade-small: TP5 optic yellow

14 minutes ago, scratchnurse said:

what driver did you procure?

Callaway razr fit, 8.5°. I was still using a 975j. What a difference. 

• Like 2

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Cleveland 588 Wedges

• 4 months later...

UPDATE

To my humble followers and donor, @fixyurdivot 

The scores have continued to come down, and while I can't credit a single club to that, being 30 yds farther and in the woods less will always inspire more confidence. I've been at it hard since last June trying to get my game down to pass the PAT, part as a personal goal, part as well, maybe let's see where I can go. Three weeks ago I got an offer from a management group to come on as an apprentice, and they're going to help me through the process and I'll be working as an assistant pro until I'm all finished up. 

Just wanted to thank you all, because this post was WAY more than just a club, it brought some good people into my sphere and I have gotten lots of good advice from so many of you. Beyond all that, MGS has a special place in my heart and love all that you guys are bringing to the game AND THANKS FOR PLAYING YOUR PART IN HELPING A DREAM COME TRUE!!!

I'll keep you updated when I finally pass the test. Fingers crossed. 

Thanks again guys,

Evan 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Cleveland 588 Wedges

On 10/17/2020 at 9:20 PM, Crowev01 said:

If you’re looking for anything Aldila makes, there’s a guy on eBay named Shirt Daddy who sells nothing but their shafts at inexpensive prices. For instance, a brand-new Aldila NV fairway shaft, uncut, is $39.97, plus shipping. Great deals! They’re not from the most current Aldila lineup, but ones like RIP Alpha, NV, and NVS are STILL really good! He’s a legit seller.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105 S, tipped 1”

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All clubs have :Arccos:  In the Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Oversize grips

12 hours ago, Crowev01 said:

UPDATE

To my humble followers and donor, @fixyurdivot 

The scores have continued to come down, and while I can't credit a single club to that, being 30 yds farther and in the woods less will always inspire more confidence. I've been at it hard since last June trying to get my game down to pass the PAT, part as a personal goal, part as well, maybe let's see where I can go. Three weeks ago I got an offer from a management group to come on as an apprentice, and they're going to help me through the process and I'll be working as an assistant pro until I'm all finished up. 

Just wanted to thank you all, because this post was WAY more than just a club, it brought some good people into my sphere and I have gotten lots of good advice from so many of you. Beyond all that, MGS has a special place in my heart and love all that you guys are bringing to the game AND THANKS FOR PLAYING YOUR PART IN HELPING A DREAM COME TRUE!!!

I'll keep you updated when I finally pass the test. Fingers crossed. 

Thanks again guys,

Evan 

Your not too far from the 3rd Annual, 2021 PNW MGS Meet-up. We're still in the planning phase but thinking early summer!  

image.png.4cb46057e4decd88fc1b2bf50641cc72.png

• Like 1

I have never been to Bend, but I do like golf and Dutch Bros. so I will have to keep an ear out. Thanks! 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Cleveland 588 Wedges

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Your not too far from the 3rd Annual, 2021 PNW MGS Meet-up. We're still in the planning phase but thinking early summer!  

image.png.4cb46057e4decd88fc1b2bf50641cc72.png

The prior comment didn't quote, but see above. 🙃

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Cleveland 588 Wedges