TESTERS WANTED! ×

Certified Club fitter

Since returning to golf and experiencing the fitting process, I've become extremely interested in club fitting.

Has anyone become a certified club fitter and which course did you take?

What would you recommend to someone looking to get into the profession? 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik Max 9° neutral weight setting - Shaft: Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60S, length 44.75"

Wood:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 3 wood 13° - Shaft: (Stock) Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 19°-21° - Shaft: (Stock) UST Recoil 480 ESX F4

Irons: :cobra-small: 5-PW Cobra King SZ - Shaft: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105

Wedges: :vokey-small: Titleist Vokey SM8 54°, 58° - Shaft: (Stock) Wedge Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small: Scotty Cameron X12, length 34"

:Clicgear: Rovic RV1S

I would like to know this information as well. The science of club fitting has me completely nerding out! 

• Driver-:titelist-small: TSi 3 9*( Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 65)
  • 3W- :cobra-small:Cobra Speedzone (Oban Isawa Red 04 Stiff 75) 14*
  • 3H-:cobra-small: Speedzone (UST Recoil 480 ESX (F4)
  • 5-A-:mizuno-small: Mizuno JPX Hot Metal Pro (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff) 22*-50*
  • 56*-:taylormade-small: MG3
  • 60*-:vokey-small: SM8
  • Putter-:taylormade-small: Spider GT 35"
  • Ball- ProV1X :titelist-small: or :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS
  • Range Finder- Bushnell Tour V4 Jolt Shift With Slope Patriot Pack
  • Bags-:titelist-small: Camo Players 4 Plus Stand Bag or :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 in red, white, and blue
  • Spikes-:nike-small:,:footjoy-small:,:cobra-small:

23 minutes ago, DevilDog29 said:

I would like to know this information as well. The science of club fitting has me completely nerding out! 

Agreed

I've been watching and reading a ton over the past couple of weeks but I'm a prac app learner.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik Max 9° neutral weight setting - Shaft: Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60S, length 44.75"

Wood:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 3 wood 13° - Shaft: (Stock) Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 19°-21° - Shaft: (Stock) UST Recoil 480 ESX F4

Irons: :cobra-small: 5-PW Cobra King SZ - Shaft: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105

Wedges: :vokey-small: Titleist Vokey SM8 54°, 58° - Shaft: (Stock) Wedge Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small: Scotty Cameron X12, length 34"

:Clicgear: Rovic RV1S

To be honest a lot of it is on the job training.  Each company has specific product and fitting modules that you can get access to if you're in the business.  Trackman U is always a great place to start.  Tons of ball flight, face angle, etc. modules to go through and how they are connected.  You watch some of the better guys in the business and you begin to understand that it's not always a numbers game.  A good fitter is of course knowledgeable about product and numbers,  but it really comes down to reading and reacting to the person that you're fitting.  

If you just want to geek out on the numbers though, I would definitely go play around with Trackman University.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

• 4 weeks later...

There are a few books out there. Golfworks has a newer fitting book and Wishon also has a good fitting book to comb through. 

Id start there first. There is a school if GW ever restarts. 

There are 2 organizations ICG International clubmaker guild (dont let the name fool ya) and AGCP 

If you want to learn fitting, start with the books

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

On 10/18/2020 at 8:09 AM, Urbs_Valhalla said:

Since returning to golf and experiencing the fitting process, I've become extremely interested in club fitting.

Has anyone become a certified club fitter and which course did you take?

What would you recommend to someone looking to get into the profession? 

Following the question/thread as this is an intriguing skillset to me as well.  I recall one of my Dads friends was a club builder (back in the late 70's) and that seemed to be quite a growing cottage industry.  But today's club fitting process is quite a bit different and technically advanced than back then - though certainly many of the same concepts and fundamentals apply.  I think it would be a really fun job/career and have heard of several club fitter academies around the US; Oregon and Florida come to mind. I think we have a few club fitters on the forum and they will most likely offer some insights.  Good luck with the endeavour should you choose that path.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 11/24/2020 at 3:12 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Following the question/thread as this is an intriguing skillset to me as well.  I recall one of my Dads friends was a club builder (back in the late 70's) and that seemed to be quite a growing cottage industry.  But today's club fitting process is quite a bit different and technically advanced than back then - though certainly many of the same concepts and fundamentals apply.  I think it would be a really fun job/career and have heard of several club fitter academies around the US; Oregon and Florida come to mind. I think we have a few club fitters on the forum and they will most likely offer some insights.  Good luck with the endeavour should you choose that path.

What are the academies in FL and OR. im in OR and have no idea who puts one on? 

Ive been to a Golfworks class and plan to go to their fitting class once it opens back up. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

3 hours ago, pulledabill said:

What are the academies in FL and OR. im in OR and have no idea who puts one on? 

Ive been to a Golfworks class and plan to go to their fitting class once it opens back up. 

I was thinking Ohio (Maltby's Club Making Academy) but typed Oregon.  Hey, they both start with an O... passing score under the new criteria 🙂.

It would be interesting to see the resumes of many of the "club fitters and builders" currently working in the field and what combination of formal education and OJT they have.  I'll bet it runs the gambit.  I have read several articles from years ago saying that far too many "pay for the certificate" programs were being offered.  I also don't see a consistent definition of what constitutes a "certified" vs. "master" fitter... though the AGCP seems to have the most robust requirements.

The only two formal associations I've come across are;

QUALIFICATIONS | IPAC (ipacgolf.com)

Assoc. of Golf Clubfitting Professionals - AGCP - Home (wildapricot.org)

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)