Small/Mid Size SUV

fixyurdivot

Thinking about getting my wife a new SUV to replace our 2006 CRV; which is in great shape, has low miles, and runs well... umm, yea, don't ask 🙂.  I haven't spent much time looking at the current field of candidates but, as I am quickly finding out, MGS is as good as any place to get the real scoop on non golf questions too!

Suggestions and recent experience with your purchase much appreciated.   

• Like 4

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

i got my wife a BMW X3 with the M sport package last year. she loves it. 

some of the tech features are actually awesome instead of gimmicky add-ons. the live cockpit is great and the touch screen has something called “gesture control” where you can answer a call or change the radio station just by waving your hand in front of the touch screen. 

• Like 3

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Thinking about getting my wife a new SUV to replace our 2006 CRV; which is in great shape, has low miles, and runs well... umm, yea, don't ask [emoji846].  I haven't spent much time looking at the current field of candidates but, as I am quickly finding out, MGS is as good as any place to get the real scoop on non golf questions too!
Suggestions and recent experience with your purchase much appreciated.   

Just got SWMBO her 4th Subi Forester, yup 4th. We did the research “dance” again but she always comes back to the Forester. She likes the Outbacks but enjoys sitting up a bit higher.
BTW I have had 3 Outbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

4 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Just got SWMBO her 4th Subi Forester, yup 4th. We did the research “dance” again but she always comes back to the Forester. She likes the Outbacks but enjoys sitting up a bit higher.

Yea, lots of Subi's running around so that says something.  Interesting side note is that when I attended fire fighting training a couple years ago, and we did the vehicle accident training which included extraction, they told us to remember that the Subaru's had a high-strength steel reinforcement in the B-pillar area we typically cut through making that path problematic.  So pop the door hinges or cut through the roof instead 😬. Clearly Subaru takes care of the buyers... going the extra mile to ensure they'll be around for future purchases 🙂.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

My wife has really enjoyed her RAV4, and we have had good luck with subarus as well. They both run great, pretty low maintenance, and have good space.

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small: Epic Speed 15°  Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke iM10 60g  6.0

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° :Fuji: Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro  5 - PW  :Fuji:  Pro Tour Spec 115i Stiff | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS-logo - KZG Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: - Pro V1x | Right Handed

Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

i got my wife a BMW X3 with the M sport package last year. she loves it. 
some of the tech features are actually awesome instead of gimmicky add-ons. the live cockpit is great and the touch screen has something called “gesture control” where you can answer a call or change the radio station just by waving your hand in front of the touch screen. 

The BMW was my pick, she saved me a ton of money.
Last trip north I leased a BMW SUV and I loved it.

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

The BMW was my pick, she saved me a ton of money.
Last trip north I leased a BMW SUV and I loved it.

I regretted not pushing the budget for another Beemer when mine was totaled in an accident many years back. 

I have had a Ford Edge for two years (38K miles) and really enjoyed it.  It’s truly a midsize.  I wish I had tested the Forresters. I have heard so many good things about them.  

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I regretted not pushing the budget for another Beemer when mine was totaled in an accident many years back. 

I have had a Ford Edge for two years (38K miles) and really enjoyed it.  It’s truly a midsize.  I wish I had tested the Forresters. I have heard so many good things about them.  

Foresters are really nice in their price range but they aren’t Beemers or do they pretend to be.
We’ve never had one problem in all the years w any one of them, that includes the Outbacks I had.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

42 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Foresters are really nice in their price range but they aren’t Beemers or do they pretend to be.
We’ve never had one problem in all the years w any one of them, that includes the Outbacks I had.

No they aren’t. They are just rock solid dependable vehicles. Substance over style perhaps.  Yet I saw a newer one recently that actually looked pretty good. 

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Among other makes - I’ve owned 2 BMW’s, 5 Honda’s, 3 Toyota’s and 1 Subaru (Outback).

• BMW’s are great, but expensive. They’re still not quite as reliable as Japanese cars (but better than many), and when you do need service it’ll cost WAY more (2-3X) than any Japanese make. If the purchase price and lifetime maintenance costs don’t bother you, it doesn’t get much better than BMW.
  • Subaru is decent, but unless you need their awesome 4WD, Toyota and Honda simply make better cars. There’s a good reason almost no carmakers build boxer engines any more (Porsche is a different $$$$ league). And the nav/electronics and safety suite are just not as advanced as Honda or Toyota. Subaru is a relatively small company compared to Toyota or Honda and they can’t match Honda or Toyota R&D/technology. We have a 2018 Outback and a 2019 Accord Hybrid, the Honda is just a better car in every way (again unless you need 4WD).
  • I’d choose a Honda, they have 4 SUVs this year, surely one fits your needs. I’m just not as keen on Toyota styling lately, the latest Camry, Highlander and Prius are bizarre/overdone/busy IMO - they look like they were styled by Committee and didn’t know when to stop!
  • Like 3
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

IMG_1317.JPG
SWMBO latest 2020 Forester.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

I work for Honda, so take what I say for whatever its worth and through the lens of someone who works for one of the OEMs. 

So, its really depends what you want.  The midsize SUV market is so competitive and cutthroat right now that theres so many great options.

The CRV and RAV4 are great options and either would serve you well for years, if not decades; if you take care of them.  The Ford Escape is a great option too.  It probably would be slightly less reliable than the Honda or Toyota but probably not by much and IMO the styling, performance and ergonomics of the Escape are slightly better.  Styling is highly subjective though, so you may or may not agree with me on that.

I personally wouldn't go Mazda.  My wife currently drives a Hyndai Tucson and before she settled on the Hyundai, we test drove a CX-5 and it was just blah.  The interior was bland and the performance was fine but it was just boring.

Speaking of Hyndai, a Tucson or Kia Sportage would be great options too.  IMO, the Hyundai/Kia is the best option if you are on a budget and want something that is affordable, reliable and cheap to maintain.

Subaru is fine but they can be expensive to buy and expensive to maintain/repair.  People love them though.

All in all, theres lots of great options and you really need to just go and test drive what you think you might like.

• Like 7

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I work for Honda, so take what I say for whatever its worth and through the lens of someone who works for one of the OEMs. 
So, its really depends what you want.  The midsize SUV market is so competitive and cutthroat right now that theres so many great options.
The CRV and RAV4 are great options and either would serve you well for years, if not decades; if you take care of them.  The Ford Escape is a great option too.  It probably would be slightly less reliable than the Honda or Toyota but probably not by much and IMO the styling, performance and ergonomics of the Escape are slightly better.  Styling is highly subjective though, so you may or may not agree with me on that.
I personally wouldn't go Mazda.  My wife currently drives a Hyndai Tucson and before she settled on the Hyundai, we test drove a CX-5 and it was just blah.  The interior was bland and the performance was fine but it was just boring.
Speaking of Hyndai, a Tucson or Kia Sportage would be great options too.  IMO, the Hyundai/Kia is the best option if you are on a budget and want something that is affordable, reliable and cheap to maintain.
Subaru is fine but they can be expensive to buy and expensive to maintain/repair.  People love them though.
All in all, theres lots of great options and you really need to just go and test drive what you think you might like.

Only exception is our personal experience w Subaru is maintenance costs. 2 oil changes a year that can be done anywhere and windshield wipers. Only parts that quit on us was a battery.
Honda great vehicle and Hyundai is making great improvement every year.
Every Spring they shut down a Town Square and bring in ALL cars/models from the Dealers. The Telluride model is no freakin joke. I really liked it but too big for SWMBO.
We have a deal, she picks out the car I pick out the cart.[emoji16]

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

45 minutes ago, Rickp said:

We have a deal, she picks out the car I pick out the cart.emoji16.png

i took over the job of picking my wife’s cars out. i figured if i’m gonna be the one servicing the car and taking it to get cleaned/detailed, then i’ve gotta be the one to pick it out. 

plus, it’s gotta be something i want to drive for the times we take her car. 

• Like 2

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

i took over the job of picking my wife’s cars out. i figured if i’m gonna be the one servicing the car and taking it to get cleaned/detailed, then i’ve gotta be the one to pick it out. 
plus, it’s gotta be something i want to drive for the times we take her car. 

Pick wisely my friend[emoji16]

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

40 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Pick wisely my friendemoji16.png

wives or cars? 

i guess your advice applies to both 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My wife drives a 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. She only puts about 5k miles a year. So I am thinking about getting her the new Ford Bronco when it is available next year. Then give the Mitsubishi to one of our Granddaughters as her car is an old Toyota Solara with too many miles on it. She used to drive a Bronco II some years ago and really liked it. As for me, my sports car days are over ....I drive a F150.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*), 5-6W(20*) both w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

11 hours ago, Rickp said:

I have the 2020 Subaru Ascent for a company car and I really like it!!! Wife has a VW Atlas and she likes it as well. 

• Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

22 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

My wife drives a 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. She only puts about 5k miles a year. So I am thinking about getting her the new Ford Bronco when it is available next year. Then give the Mitsubishi to one of our Granddaughters as her car is an old Toyota Solara with too many miles on it. She used to drive a Bronco II some years ago and really liked it. As for me, my sports car days are over ....I drive a F150.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

That new Bronco... looks like a blade, but has some tech!  Love it!

That is going to be my make Chief incentive... getting one of those.

• Like 3

wives or cars? 
i guess your advice applies to both [emoji23][emoji23]

YES[emoji106]

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead