TESTERS WANTED! ×

Small/Mid Size SUV

fixyurdivot

Thinking about getting my wife a new SUV to replace our 2006 CRV; which is in great shape, has low miles, and runs well... umm, yea, don't ask 🙂.  I haven't spent much time looking at the current field of candidates but, as I am quickly finding out, MGS is as good as any place to get the real scoop on non golf questions too!

Suggestions and recent experience with your purchase much appreciated.   

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

i got my wife a BMW X3 with the M sport package last year. she loves it. 

some of the tech features are actually awesome instead of gimmicky add-ons. the live cockpit is great and the touch screen has something called “gesture control” where you can answer a call or change the radio station just by waving your hand in front of the touch screen. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Thinking about getting my wife a new SUV to replace our 2006 CRV; which is in great shape, has low miles, and runs well... umm, yea, don't ask .  I haven't spent much time looking at the current field of candidates but, as I am quickly finding out, MGS is as good as any place to get the real scoop on non golf questions too!
Suggestions and recent experience with your purchase much appreciated.   

Just got SWMBO her 4th Subi Forester, yup 4th. We did the research “dance” again but she always comes back to the Forester. She likes the Outbacks but enjoys sitting up a bit higher.
BTW I have had 3 Outbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

4 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Just got SWMBO her 4th Subi Forester, yup 4th. We did the research “dance” again but she always comes back to the Forester. She likes the Outbacks but enjoys sitting up a bit higher.

Yea, lots of Subi's running around so that says something.  Interesting side note is that when I attended fire fighting training a couple years ago, and we did the vehicle accident training which included extraction, they told us to remember that the Subaru's had a high-strength steel reinforcement in the B-pillar area we typically cut through making that path problematic.  So pop the door hinges or cut through the roof instead 😬. Clearly Subaru takes care of the buyers... going the extra mile to ensure they'll be around for future purchases 🙂.

My wife has really enjoyed her RAV4, and we have had good luck with subarus as well. They both run great, pretty low maintenance, and have good space.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

i got my wife a BMW X3 with the M sport package last year. she loves it. 
some of the tech features are actually awesome instead of gimmicky add-ons. the live cockpit is great and the touch screen has something called “gesture control” where you can answer a call or change the radio station just by waving your hand in front of the touch screen. 

The BMW was my pick, she saved me a ton of money.
Last trip north I leased a BMW SUV and I loved it.

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

The BMW was my pick, she saved me a ton of money.
Last trip north I leased a BMW SUV and I loved it.

I regretted not pushing the budget for another Beemer when mine was totaled in an accident many years back. 

I have had a Ford Edge for two years (38K miles) and really enjoyed it.  It’s truly a midsize.  I wish I had tested the Forresters. I have heard so many good things about them.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I regretted not pushing the budget for another Beemer when mine was totaled in an accident many years back. 

I have had a Ford Edge for two years (38K miles) and really enjoyed it.  It’s truly a midsize.  I wish I had tested the Forresters. I have heard so many good things about them.  

Foresters are really nice in their price range but they aren’t Beemers or do they pretend to be.
We’ve never had one problem in all the years w any one of them, that includes the Outbacks I had.

Rick

Left Hand, 

42 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Foresters are really nice in their price range but they aren’t Beemers or do they pretend to be.
We’ve never had one problem in all the years w any one of them, that includes the Outbacks I had.

No they aren’t. They are just rock solid dependable vehicles. Substance over style perhaps.  Yet I saw a newer one recently that actually looked pretty good. 

Among other makes - I’ve owned 2 BMW’s, 5 Honda’s, 3 Toyota’s and 1 Subaru (Outback).

• BMW’s are great, but expensive. They’re still not quite as reliable as Japanese cars (but better than many), and when you do need service it’ll cost WAY more (2-3X) than any Japanese make. If the purchase price and lifetime maintenance costs don’t bother you, it doesn’t get much better than BMW.
  • Subaru is decent, but unless you need their awesome 4WD, Toyota and Honda simply make better cars. There’s a good reason almost no carmakers build boxer engines any more (Porsche is a different $$$$ league). And the nav/electronics and safety suite are just not as advanced as Honda or Toyota. Subaru is a relatively small company compared to Toyota or Honda and they can’t match Honda or Toyota R&D/technology. We have a 2018 Outback and a 2019 Accord Hybrid, the Honda is just a better car in every way (again unless you need 4WD).
  • I’d choose a Honda, they have 4 SUVs this year, surely one fits your needs. I’m just not as keen on Toyota styling lately, the latest Camry, Highlander and Prius are bizarre/overdone/busy IMO - they look like they were styled by Committee and didn’t know when to stop!
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

IMG_1317.JPG
SWMBO latest 2020 Forester.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I work for Honda, so take what I say for whatever its worth and through the lens of someone who works for one of the OEMs. 

So, its really depends what you want.  The midsize SUV market is so competitive and cutthroat right now that theres so many great options.

The CRV and RAV4 are great options and either would serve you well for years, if not decades; if you take care of them.  The Ford Escape is a great option too.  It probably would be slightly less reliable than the Honda or Toyota but probably not by much and IMO the styling, performance and ergonomics of the Escape are slightly better.  Styling is highly subjective though, so you may or may not agree with me on that.

I personally wouldn't go Mazda.  My wife currently drives a Hyndai Tucson and before she settled on the Hyundai, we test drove a CX-5 and it was just blah.  The interior was bland and the performance was fine but it was just boring.

Speaking of Hyndai, a Tucson or Kia Sportage would be great options too.  IMO, the Hyundai/Kia is the best option if you are on a budget and want something that is affordable, reliable and cheap to maintain.

Subaru is fine but they can be expensive to buy and expensive to maintain/repair.  People love them though.

All in all, theres lots of great options and you really need to just go and test drive what you think you might like.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I work for Honda, so take what I say for whatever its worth and through the lens of someone who works for one of the OEMs. 
So, its really depends what you want.  The midsize SUV market is so competitive and cutthroat right now that theres so many great options.
The CRV and RAV4 are great options and either would serve you well for years, if not decades; if you take care of them.  The Ford Escape is a great option too.  It probably would be slightly less reliable than the Honda or Toyota but probably not by much and IMO the styling, performance and ergonomics of the Escape are slightly better.  Styling is highly subjective though, so you may or may not agree with me on that.
I personally wouldn't go Mazda.  My wife currently drives a Hyndai Tucson and before she settled on the Hyundai, we test drove a CX-5 and it was just blah.  The interior was bland and the performance was fine but it was just boring.
Speaking of Hyndai, a Tucson or Kia Sportage would be great options too.  IMO, the Hyundai/Kia is the best option if you are on a budget and want something that is affordable, reliable and cheap to maintain.
Subaru is fine but they can be expensive to buy and expensive to maintain/repair.  People love them though.
All in all, theres lots of great options and you really need to just go and test drive what you think you might like.

Only exception is our personal experience w Subaru is maintenance costs. 2 oil changes a year that can be done anywhere and windshield wipers. Only parts that quit on us was a battery.
Honda great vehicle and Hyundai is making great improvement every year.
Every Spring they shut down a Town Square and bring in ALL cars/models from the Dealers. The Telluride model is no freakin joke. I really liked it but too big for SWMBO.
We have a deal, she picks out the car I pick out the cart.

Rick

Left Hand, 

45 minutes ago, Rickp said:

We have a deal, she picks out the car I pick out the cart.emoji16.png

i took over the job of picking my wife’s cars out. i figured if i’m gonna be the one servicing the car and taking it to get cleaned/detailed, then i’ve gotta be the one to pick it out. 

plus, it’s gotta be something i want to drive for the times we take her car. 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

i took over the job of picking my wife’s cars out. i figured if i’m gonna be the one servicing the car and taking it to get cleaned/detailed, then i’ve gotta be the one to pick it out. 
plus, it’s gotta be something i want to drive for the times we take her car. 

Pick wisely my friend

Rick

Left Hand, 

40 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Pick wisely my friendemoji16.png

wives or cars? 

i guess your advice applies to both 😂😂

My wife drives a 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. She only puts about 5k miles a year. So I am thinking about getting her the new Ford Bronco when it is available next year. Then give the Mitsubishi to one of our Granddaughters as her car is an old Toyota Solara with too many miles on it. She used to drive a Bronco II some years ago and really liked it. As for me, my sports car days are over ....I drive a F150.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

11 hours ago, Rickp said:

I have the 2020 Subaru Ascent for a company car and I really like it!!! Wife has a VW Atlas and she likes it as well. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

22 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

My wife drives a 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. She only puts about 5k miles a year. So I am thinking about getting her the new Ford Bronco when it is available next year. Then give the Mitsubishi to one of our Granddaughters as her car is an old Toyota Solara with too many miles on it. She used to drive a Bronco II some years ago and really liked it. As for me, my sports car days are over ....I drive a F150.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

That new Bronco... looks like a blade, but has some tech!  Love it!

That is going to be my make Chief incentive... getting one of those.

wives or cars? 
i guess your advice applies to both

YES

Rick

Left Hand, 

That new Bronco... looks like a blade, but has some tech!  Love it!
That is going to be my make Chief incentive... getting one of those.

New Bronco is definitely a looker

Rick

Left Hand, 

17 minutes ago, Rickp said:

YESemoji106.png

that’s why i lease. give em back with some tread left on the tires and get a newer model 

my wife still owns our 2009 honda CRV only 63K miles we are the only owner bought brand new ... I had a small sedan so needed a big car or midsize SUV so I bought an Audi Q5 and my wife stole it so now I drive the Honda CRV 😐... I absolutely love the Q5 best car I ever own .. like others said with a luxury car it will get expensive... we don't drive a lot I am a 10 min drive to work she is a 20 min drive and I only go into the office twice a week so we knew we wouldn't be killing the car in miles/wear and tear 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

My wife owns a Mazda3 and when it was at the dealership for some computer upgrades (installed Apple Play) we had a CX-5 for a loaner and man that thing drove amazing in both they city as well as on the highway. That one's high on my list when I eventually replace the Sonata in another 8 years once college bills are done 😄

Our next door neighbors have 3 kids in college and between their CX-5 and their CX-9 they can handle all the move in and move out trips without a problem and they love how they ride. Great SUVs. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

that’s why i lease. give em back with some tread left on the tires and get a newer model 

We do 3 year leases so we can walk away and chose what we(she) likes.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I’d steer clear of Subaru and their boxer engines. They had massive head gasket issue years ago, and they’ve improved, but they’re still beset with engine recalls. I have a 2018 Outback 2.5 and so far so good, but I know two people in the last 4 years who had their engines completely replaced in the first year (fortunately under warranty). Here’s some of the recent recalls https://www.cashcarsbuyer.com/subaru-engine-problems/

It's become clear in recent years that Subaru has had some issues with quality control as far as their engines are concerned. The excessive oil consumption issue has popped up for so many Subaru models and has gone on for such a long period of time that it can't be considered the kind of problem that's a statistical anomaly or a rarity in the industry. There is a clear problem with some of the older Subaru models on the road.

In terms of newer models, Subaru has still had a few problems as we've seen with some of the recalls that it has issued. Models as late as 2019 had to be brought in for repairs due to issues with their engines. If it's not excessive oil consumption, it’s problems with failing valves.

For these reasons it's definitely worth making sure you know what you're getting into if you're interested in picking up a new or used Subaru. If it's one of the models that has been subject to a recall, then you definitely want to get it checked out by a trusted mechanic before you invest any of your money in it. As for you or models, there's no way to know for sure if it's going to be a problem until later so it's something of a calculated risk you might want to look at.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

3 hours ago, Rickp said:

New Bronco is definitely a lookeremoji106.png

I think the long term value of Ford stock will follow the success or failure of this launch.  There is lots of excitement about it and the manner in which Ford is offering it.  My nephew, currently a blinged out, overlanding, 4Runner aficionado, is planning on buying the new Bronco. 

My sister-in-law has a Highlander Limited that she likes - seems like a pretty nice sized package.  It also has a flip-up rear window which my wife has come to like.... doggy mom features 😆.

3 hours ago, Rickp said:

We do 3 year leases so we can walk away and chose what we(she) likes.

i was still referring to wives 😂😂😂

1 minute ago, Chip Strokes said:

i was still referring to wives 😂😂😂

I caught that, but figured I'd let someone else take the bait...ha

Living in Northern Ontario can be daunting at times when the snow flies. We get lots of it.

My wife decided on a 2017 Mitsubishi RVR. That thing goes through everything including a heavy snowfall. Good punchy engine especially if you get the GT edition.

The drivetrain is amazing and is even covered under warranty for 10 years. Lots of room and is lots of fun to drive. 

I can tell you working for Gm, the new Buick Encore GX is really nice. The Terrain is nice too, that turbo 2.0 has some serious kick and it has room galour.

Almost bought one before the misses told me to buy a GMC Sierra.

Just some thoughts.

Driver - :callaway-small: Mavrik w/ Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 60X

3-Wood - :taylormade-small: RocketBallz 3 HL

Hybrid - :callaway-small: Apex 2 w/ Kuro Kage 65g Stiff

Irons - :callaway-small: Steelhead XR's w/ KBS Tour-V 90 - 5-PW, AW - Stiff

Wedges - Kirkland Signature 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter -   default_taylormade-small.jpg.f51b0863b47c9f7d3e2ffc3583a5d3da.jpg  Spider S #1 Platinum/White

Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize

Ball - Srixon Z-star.....Q-Star in Spring and Fall

Jeremy Booth

Swing easy.