Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2020 Classic Bag Challenge

sirchunksalot

So got out this morning for a quick vintage 9. Can’t believe my only other round was three weeks ago. Between work, kids homeschooling, persimmon refinishes, and building a new workshop, my time has been pretty limited.

A few weeks ago a pretty sought after set of classic 1980’s irons arrived, Spalding Tour Editions. These were the irons Greg Norman used through the 1980’s before buying into Cobra. Well, I’ve also been reading some Tom Wishon articles lately and one idea that really struck me was his mention of using 3/8” length increments between clubs so the short irons are a bit longer and the long irons are slightly shorter. I felt these Tour Editions were the perfect candidate for this experiment.

Staring with my standard 1/2” over 5-iron length of 38.5” I built the set with 3/8” increments which led to a 9-iron that measures 37” and a 36 5/8” pitching wedge. Since I use old Tacki Mac non tapered grips the swing weight didn’t get too crazy ending up at a D3.

Once at the range, wow! I was dropping dimes on anything within 150 yards. My posture at set up with my short irons feels so much better. 3 and 4 irons were more consistent, although the Tour Editions 3-iron might be the hardest to hit of any set I’ve ever played.

So, today was my first round with them, along with my normal gamer Orlimar 1,3,4 woods, a 1950’s era Wilson Triple Duty Wedge, and an old Ping Anser. Also trying a new ball for persimmon play, the Maxfli Tour and Tour X.

First hole started out with a poor tee shot that I pull left. It’s an uphill par 5 that I’ve only reached in two with persimmon a handful of times and from the left rough there is no chance so I figured best to give my new irons their first shot and hit a perfect 8-iron to the right side of the fairway right at the 125 marker. A 50* pitching wedge means that it would take a 9-iron to hit the middle of the green and I stuck it dead center 10 feet from the flag. Unfortunately, I missed the birdie putt which was a sign of things to come.

Second hole is a stream 220 out that take a carry of 235 yards. I’ve been hitting my Orlimars solid since I built them and have carried the creek numerous times with them but I was gun-shy after my tee shot on one so I hit 3-iron and laid up 25 yards short of the creek. Was just under 150 out with the pin in the front so went with a 7-iron. Hit a towering iron and went a bit long. Didn’t think it would go that far but was able to two putt again for par.

On the Par 5 #3 I hit a perfect drive dead straight and long. It’s the longest hole on the course and I’ve never made there it in two so I hit 4-wood and ended up 30 yards in front of the green in the fairway. Pin was back so I decided to run it up with the Triple Duty Wedge and it finished 6 feet away. Made the putt, my only one of the day, and was -1 through 3. That’s when #4 happened.

#4 is a big dogleg left with giant evergreens down the left side. You must hit your tee shot down the right hand side to have the angle into the green. I pulled my drive again and had no shot at the green. I thought I could clear the tops of the evergreens , but not with a 6-iron, and I hit the top of the tree and came down left into the hard pan of the dry creek bed. I had to hit a punch out and ended up in the green side bunker. Out of the bunker and a two-putt for a double bogey 6.

#5 is a 175 par 5 that is always into the wind so I went with 4-iron. I hit it a bit thin so it wasn’t the prettiest shot but it was on about 20 feet away. Two putt for par.

#6 is a short straight Par 4 and I absolutely smoked my drive. Had 135 yards so went 8-iron and hit my best approach of the day to within 8 feet. I rolled what I thought was a perfect putt that just never broke so I settled for Par.

#7 is a short 135 yard Par 3 so I hit the same 8-iron but I pushed it right into the bunker. Out to within 12 feet or so and another two putt for bogey.

#8 I hit another long drive dead center of the fairway. Had 150 as the pin was back on a two tier green. I hit 7-iron that was right on line. It looked perfect. Then it land and slowly rolled backwards down to the first tier about 40 feet from the cup. I didn’t lag well and left myself 10 feet, which I lipped out for a 3-putt bogey.

#9 I hit a decent drive down the right side but still had 165 to the flag. I hit a 6-iron that just cleared the front bunker and was sitting on the fringe. I putted to within 2 feet and tapped in for a Par and three over 39.

39- ((134/113)x(8.9/2)+36-35.3= 33.02301

The irons played wonderfully, particularly the short irons. Looking back at the round, I did get lucky on number 5 when I thinned the 4-iron, but missing the green on #7, 135 yard par 3 is inexcusable. I also didn’t realize how accustomed I’ve gotten to playing a mallet putter. I played a blade style putter for my entire golfing life until switching to a Rife Legend Z mallet in the last year and I really prefer the mallet now.

The Spalding Tour Edition’s are an absolutely beautiful set of irons. The sole is a bit narrow but they have plenty of bounce so no digging. When you hold them in your hand you just want to give them a swing. A good swing is rewarded and the feeling is one that you keep wanting to experience over and over.

I’ve played a lot of classic sets and these are up there with the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

372542D8-0F65-426E-BDA6-83A94E068F32.jpeg

66FAEC57-33CB-4AF3-B7DF-0DFE9612A80A.jpeg

659FCBF6-D803-4EC2-A083-FC80BF954404.jpeg

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

@deejaid - Great round!  We're actually using a slightly different formula.  You're playing the course with the highest rating of all of us (35.3), so there's no upward adjustment for you.  You're now in the lead!

image.png.94be8c00187d74ddaf55fe8a7b58fdc3.png

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

[mention=56773]deejaid[/mention] - Great round!  We're actually using a slightly different formula.  You're playing the course with the highest rating of all of us (35.3), so there's no upward adjustment for you.  You're now in the lead!

Haha! I’ll take your word for it. This is all too much for me to figure out.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Glad we have until the 20 of next month.  Either the weather hasn’t cooperated or I’ve been busy on the nice days.

60 today but I’m tied up with work.  Close to 50 on Wednesday but I’m smoking a turkey that day.

Maybe next week will work out.

14 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

@deejaid - Great round!  We're actually using a slightly different formula.  You're playing the course with the highest rating of all of us (35.3), so there's no upward adjustment for you.  You're now in the lead!

I would need some help figuring the net score from my round.  The course rating / slope from the card is 70.2 / 130. The par is 35 because one of the par 5's is using a shorter temp green while the real one is being rebuilt, I shot 41.  My handicap from sporadic summer play is not official but a self approximated 5 if that is acceptable.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

2 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

I would need some help figuring the net score from my round.  The course rating / slope from the card is 70.2 / 130. The par is 35 because one of the par 5's is using a shorter temp green while the real one is being rebuilt, I shot 41.  My handicap from sporadic summer play is not official but a self approximated 5 if that is acceptable.  

If I'm figuring right, using 71 as the total par for your course, I come up with an adjusted score of 38.924. I'm assuming the par five under repair is playing as a par 4. 

I might need a second opinion on this, but that's a great score on a course with a slope of 130. 

22 hours ago, deejaid said:

So got out this morning for a quick vintage 9. Can’t believe my only other round was three weeks ago. Between work, kids homeschooling, persimmon refinishes, and building a new workshop, my time has been pretty limited.

A few weeks ago a pretty sought after set of classic 1980’s irons arrived, Spalding Tour Editions. These were the irons Greg Norman used through the 1980’s before buying into Cobra. Well, I’ve also been reading some Tom Wishon articles lately and one idea that really struck me was his mention of using 3/8” length increments between clubs so the short irons are a bit longer and the long irons are slightly shorter. I felt these Tour Editions were the perfect candidate for this experiment.

Staring with my standard 1/2” over 5-iron length of 38.5” I built the set with 3/8” increments which led to a 9-iron that measures 37” and a 36 5/8” pitching wedge. Since I use old Tacki Mac non tapered grips the swing weight didn’t get too crazy ending up at a D3.

Once at the range, wow! I was dropping dimes on anything within 150 yards. My posture at set up with my short irons feels so much better. 3 and 4 irons were more consistent, although the Tour Editions 3-iron might be the hardest to hit of any set I’ve ever played.

So, today was my first round with them, along with my normal gamer Orlimar 1,3,4 woods, a 1950’s era Wilson Triple Duty Wedge, and an old Ping Anser. Also trying a new ball for persimmon play, the Maxfli Tour and Tour X.

First hole started out with a poor tee shot that I pull left. It’s an uphill par 5 that I’ve only reached in two with persimmon a handful of times and from the left rough there is no chance so I figured best to give my new irons their first shot and hit a perfect 8-iron to the right side of the fairway right at the 125 marker. A 50* pitching wedge means that it would take a 9-iron to hit the middle of the green and I stuck it dead center 10 feet from the flag. Unfortunately, I missed the birdie putt which was a sign of things to come.

Second hole is a stream 220 out that take a carry of 235 yards. I’ve been hitting my Orlimars solid since I built them and have carried the creek numerous times with them but I was gun-shy after my tee shot on one so I hit 3-iron and laid up 25 yards short of the creek. Was just under 150 out with the pin in the front so went with a 7-iron. Hit a towering iron and went a bit long. Didn’t think it would go that far but was able to two putt again for par.

On the Par 5 #3 I hit a perfect drive dead straight and long. It’s the longest hole on the course and I’ve never made there it in two so I hit 4-wood and ended up 30 yards in front of the green in the fairway. Pin was back so I decided to run it up with the Triple Duty Wedge and it finished 6 feet away. Made the putt, my only one of the day, and was -1 through 3. That’s when #4 happened.

#4 is a big dogleg left with giant evergreens down the left side. You must hit your tee shot down the right hand side to have the angle into the green. I pulled my drive again and had no shot at the green. I thought I could clear the tops of the evergreens , but not with a 6-iron, and I hit the top of the tree and came down left into the hard pan of the dry creek bed. I had to hit a punch out and ended up in the green side bunker. Out of the bunker and a two-putt for a double bogey 6.

#5 is a 175 par 5 that is always into the wind so I went with 4-iron. I hit it a bit thin so it wasn’t the prettiest shot but it was on about 20 feet away. Two putt for par.

#6 is a short straight Par 4 and I absolutely smoked my drive. Had 135 yards so went 8-iron and hit my best approach of the day to within 8 feet. I rolled what I thought was a perfect putt that just never broke so I settled for Par.

#7 is a short 135 yard Par 3 so I hit the same 8-iron but I pushed it right into the bunker. Out to within 12 feet or so and another two putt for bogey.

#8 I hit another long drive dead center of the fairway. Had 150 as the pin was back on a two tier green. I hit 7-iron that was right on line. It looked perfect. Then it land and slowly rolled backwards down to the first tier about 40 feet from the cup. I didn’t lag well and left myself 10 feet, which I lipped out for a 3-putt bogey.

#9 I hit a decent drive down the right side but still had 165 to the flag. I hit a 6-iron that just cleared the front bunker and was sitting on the fringe. I putted to within 2 feet and tapped in for a Par and three over 39.

The irons played wonderfully, particularly the short irons. Looking back at the round, I did get lucky on number 5 when I thinned the 4-iron, but missing the green on #7, 135 yard par 3 is inexcusable. I also didn’t realize how accustomed I’ve gotten to playing a mallet putter. I played a blade style putter for my entire golfing life until switching to a Rife Legend Z mallet in the last year and I really prefer the mallet now.

The Spalding Tour Edition’s are an absolutely beautiful set of irons. The sole is a bit narrow but they have plenty of bounce so no digging. When you hold them in your hand you just want to give them a swing. A good swing is rewarded and the feeling is one that you keep wanting to experience over and over.

That's a great round @deejaid, especially since it's the first time getting out to play those lovely Tour Edition irons. It's also interesting to read that you experimented with the iron lengths and seeing how it worked out for you.

I agree with you on loving how well a mallet putter plays, I just love mine and getting used to the Ping blade putter in my bag has been the most difficult part of this challenge for me. 

How did the Maxflis work out for you? 

3 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

If I'm figuring right, using 71 as the total par for your course, I come up with an adjusted score of 38.924. I'm assuming the par five under repair is playing as a par 4. 

I might need a second opinion on this, but that's a great score on a course with a slope of 130. 

Here's what I get for @Shapotomous's round using the new formula based on the highest course rating (from @deejaid's round):

image.png.e7b7b5db0c28cbf6e5488ec19e6ba740.png

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 11/22/2020 at 8:12 PM, deejaid said:

I've always liked the look of the Tour Editions, but never got around to picking up a set.  Even ran across a set at 2nd Swing that had belonged to a Tour Player, whose name I can't remember at moment, but didn't jump on them.

Can't play 14 sets all at once.  LOL 

And now that I'm transitioning to graphite iron shafts...  well, that could get a little spendy.  😉

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

That's a great round [mention=56773]deejaid[/mention], especially since it's the first time getting out to play those lovely Tour Edition irons. It's also interesting to read that you experimented with the iron lengths and seeing how it worked out for you.
I agree with you on loving how well a mallet putter plays, I just love mine and getting used to the Ping blade putter in my bag has been the most difficult part of this challenge for me. 
How did the Maxflis work out for you? 

The new iron lengths is an epiphany. I’ve ordered two more sets of shaft extensions and I’m doing the same to my Hogan Ptx Pro/Icon combo set and my Hogan Medallions. My posture during set up on my short irons and wedges feels so much better and more natural. I feel I have a more consistent set up which leads to a more consistent swing.

The Maxfli’s played well, very similar to Pro V1’s for me. I bought a box of both the Tour and Tour X when Dick’s had one of their “two for $50” sales. I like using the Wilson Zip with my classics but my Orlimar woods I don’t consider classics. They may be persimmon but I reshafted them with new Dynamic Gold X100 and they play like a modern club. There is no feeling that you are compromising performance with and antique.

The Maxfli’s carried well off the persimmons with good spin. Spin great around the greens too. I plan on playing them regularly with my modern set (Hogan Combos and Orlimar’s)

With my vintage sets I think I’ll stick with the Wilson Zip. They don’t go any farther than the Maxfli but the soft feeling of the ultra low compression is closer to a balata-like feel.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

I've always liked the look of the Tour Editions, but never got around to picking up a set.  Even ran across a set at 2nd Swing that had belonged to a Tour Player, whose name I can't remember at moment, but didn't jump on them.
Can't play 14 sets all at once.  LOL 
And now that I'm transitioning to graphite iron shafts...  well, that could get a little spendy. 

I’ve wanted a set for a long time as I heard so many good things about them in the Classic Golf forum. I love the fact they are Spalding. People just assume they are some KMart clubs or something. Little do they know these are some of the finest forged irons ever made with a PGA Tour pedigree.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

1 hour ago, deejaid said:

I’ve wanted a set for a long time as I heard so many good things about them in the Classic Golf forum. I love the fact they are Spalding. People just assume they are some KMart clubs or something. Little do they know these are some of the finest forged irons ever made with a PGA Tour pedigree.

They're such a basic, clean looking muscleback.  No cutesy cuts or shapes added, just basic solid goodness.  Very much a what you see is what you get sort of thing.

I mean that in a good way, of course.  

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

9 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

They're such a basic, clean looking muscleback.  No cutesy cuts or shapes added, just basic solid goodness.  Very much a what you see is what you get sort of thing.

I mean that in a good way, of course.  

One of the best juniors at the club I grew up working at played those same bird-on-ball Tour Editions.  I used to drool over those things... until I got the Hogans.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

One of the best juniors at the club I grew up working at played those same bird-on-ball Tour Editions.  I used to drool over those things... until I got the Hogans.

I got the Tour Editions, Medallions, and Grinds, all from the same collector. Had I bought the Tour Editions first I wouldn’t even had bought the Hogan’s. The Tour Editions are a much better club for me.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

33 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I got the Tour Editions, Medallions, and Grinds, all from the same collector. Had I bought the Tour Editions first I wouldn’t even had bought the Hogan’s. The Tour Editions are a much better club for me.

If I didn't already have a set of Grinds, I'd make you an offer.  Or if those were the 88 redlines...

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 11/18/2020 at 11:44 AM, NRJyzr said:

I can think of a couple immediate issues there....

One, Arnold Palmer was former military, and was still in very good shape in his prime golf years.  I'm an overweight 50something.

Two, I was playing 80s-90s retro golf, with my Golden Rams and Zing Blondes.  I don't know if we need to revive *those* fashion trends in an overweight old guy who's losing/lost his hair.

At least the 90s were baggy clothes.  Not the most unflattering for an overweight dude, right?  🙂 

LOl I do my own Classic Stu Style. 63 overweight limping moving slowly floppy hat and sunshades Stinson Style. Sometimes the big cigar. My own style of Shabby Chique

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

14 hours ago, deejaid said:

Hells bells that ain't nothing we have people around here that think Miura are knock off clubs. My bud who was the Miura dealer before he retired told me not to explain because they would not understand

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

14 hours ago, deejaid said:

Hells bells that ain't nothing we have people around here that think Miura are knock off clubs. My bud who was the Miura dealer before he retired told me not to explain because they would not understand

Edited by BIG STU

G

Ok I am somewhat in ---- I played 2 nine hole rounds one Monday and one yesterday all vintage with my 62 FCs and an assortment of woods. And BTW John I did not cheat and use Rusty either I used another one of my Ironmaster putters. I am trying to get my feel back again. Used a combination of the Old Maxfli Elite wound 90 and some NOS PGA brand balata. And I am sticking to my 5 handicap I had before injury no concessions. I played from the green super senior tees. Glad I got 2 rounds in with heavy steel shafts and persimmons with minimum stiffness and pain so here goes. BTW played the back side first on Monday

43 40--- Rating 66.7 Slope 109 Yardage 5120 Par 72---- You brains can figure this if you will--- As long as my back and weather holds up I am planning at least 3 vintage rounds a week. I am done with the Scrambles for now got me swinging too hard and fast. But so far so good. As I get more strength and form I plan on going back to my regular senior tees

G

Updated leaderboard:

image.png.91c6483c0f1baf6a068680c753fe18d6.png

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

If I didn't already have a set of Grinds, I'd make you an offer.  Or if those were the 88 redlines...

Thanks. Who knows, I’ll probably just hold onto them. They are in such nice condition even if I don’t play them they are a beautiful club to pick up and waggle every once and awhile.

I’ve got a thing for these clubs from the 1980’s- early 1990’s. Back then, I was hitting mismatched retail store quality irons like Wilson Blue Ridge’s that were piled in my Grandfather’s barn. I could only dream of having some of these sets I have now.

And the great thing is, it’s a lot cheaper reliving your youth through vintage golf clubs than vintage cars.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

1 hour ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Updated leaderboard:

image.png.91c6483c0f1baf6a068680c753fe18d6.png

Thanks Looper

G

Wife just told me I need to drive the Mother-in-law to dialysis at 6:30 am on Thanksgiving morning. I guess that means an early morning Turkey Day round before going back to pick her up.

So who to choose...Mr. Hogan or Mr. Palmer?

IMG_2882.jpg

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Then again, maybe I do have to much stuff. I had forgotten I had these sweet Fernquest & Johnson Californian iron heads in my parts drawer. The “Gwynn” BB&F ferrules arrived last week so once I find some shafts these will be ready for spring.

IMG_2883.jpg

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

1 hour ago, deejaid said:

Wife just told me I need to drive the Mother-in-law to dialysis at 6:30 am on Thanksgiving morning. I guess that means an early morning Turkey Day round before going back to pick her up.

So who to choose...Mr. Hogan or Mr. Palmer? emoji16.png

IMG_2882.jpg

Decisions decisions I aint going there----

G

13 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Ok I am somewhat in ---- I played 2 nine hole rounds one Monday and one yesterday all vintage with my 62 FCs and an assortment of woods. And BTW John I did not cheat and use Rusty either I used another one of my Ironmaster putters. I am trying to get my feel back again. Used a combination of the Old Maxfli Elite wound 90 and some NOS PGA brand balata. And I am sticking to my 5 handicap I had before injury no concessions. I played from the green super senior tees. Glad I got 2 rounds in with heavy steel shafts and persimmons with minimum stiffness and pain so here goes. BTW played the back side first on Monday

43 40--- Rating 66.7 Slope 109 Yardage 5120 Par 72---- You brains can figure this if you will--- As long as my back and weather holds up I am planning at least 3 vintage rounds a week. I am done with the Scrambles for now got me swinging too hard and fast. But so far so good. As I get more strength and form I plan on going back to my regular senior tees

Great round @BIG STU! I'm glad to see you were able to get out and play 18. Due to work constraints, I couldn't tell you the last time I sniffed a full round. Hopefully your bank will hold up and you can get out and enjoy some golf.

@deejaid, I wouldn't be qualified to recommend which set to play as both the Hogan's and the Palmer's are beautiful. Those Californian irons are gorgeous and the ferrules you got are nice! I've never seen those irons and need to see if there's any information on the web about them. I really like the looks of them.

I also want to say thank you to @HardcoreLooper for keeping on top of the scoring. I might have said it earlier in the thread, but sleep deprivation does crazy things to what little brain I have and I just want to reinforce how much I appreciate the work you've put in. 

I'm hoping to get out again either Friday or Saturday to play again and I'm really wanting to wear the classic inspired outfit I've put together for it. I think it'll be cool. I can't pull off the timeless look of Arnie, but part of the outfit was inspired by him. 

I hope all you have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving. We're keeping it low key here, but I appreciate getting time to spend with the family. 

You guys are crushing it!  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

12 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Great round @BIG STU! I'm glad to see you were able to get out and play 18. Due to work constraints, I couldn't tell you the last time I sniffed a full round. Hopefully your bank will hold up and you can get out and enjoy some golf.

@deejaid, I wouldn't be qualified to recommend which set to play as both the Hogan's and the Palmer's are beautiful. Those Californian irons are gorgeous and the ferrules you got are nice! I've never seen those irons and need to see if there's any information on the web about them. I really like the looks of them.

I also want to say thank you to @HardcoreLooper for keeping on top of the scoring. I might have said it earlier in the thread, but sleep deprivation does crazy things to what little brain I have and I just want to reinforce how much I appreciate the work you've put in. 

I'm hoping to get out again either Friday or Saturday to play again and I'm really wanting to wear the classic inspired outfit I've put together for it. I think it'll be cool. I can't pull off the timeless look of Arnie, but part of the outfit was inspired by him. 

I hope all you have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving. We're keeping it low key here, but I appreciate getting time to spend with the family. 

Thanks it was 2 seperate 9s on 2 days. I can not go the full 18 yet especially swinging heavy steel shafted clubs but working on it

G

11 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

You guys are crushing it!  

Glad to see you are back at it--- Naaw mine was not crushing it mine was ugly---  But I did do all goals I set out to do. I got through 9 ok. Plodded and plotted my way around the course. Got back on my short game some. Had to think for a change because the course is still wet and the greens hard. Putted really well with my green shafted Ironmaster ( you did not see that one) I putt with it a little better than the lead taped one and just as good as Rusty. 

G

On 11/26/2020 at 6:16 AM, BIG STU said:

Glad to see you are back at it--- Naaw mine was not crushing it mine was ugly---  But I did do all goals I set out to do. I got through 9 ok. Plodded and plotted my way around the course. Got back on my short game some. Had to think for a change because the course is still wet and the greens hard. Putted really well with my green shafted Ironmaster ( you did not see that one) I putt with it a little better than the lead taped one and just as good as Rusty. 

I’m not quite back yet.  We’re still locked in but making good progress, thank the Lord!  Hoping to be back in a week or two.  Glad to hear things are still moving forward.  If you’re anything close to as good as that rusty scotty there’s gonna be a lot of putts falling!  Sounds like you’ll be back to  taking names on the course soon—especially with that short game practice. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO