TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Classic Bag Challenge

sirchunksalot

35 minutes ago, edingc said:

I've been silently watching this thread envious of some of the clubs you guys are hitting. I tried trawling eBay and Goodwill, but I didn't see much that excited me.

Anyway, my wife wanted to get out of the house and so we ended up visiting a few socially-distanced antique malls today for Small Business Saturday. I typically look for old sports trading cards (my first hobby/love) and cast iron pans, but today I told her I would look for some vintage clubs.

The first three or four shops all had clubs but they were mismatched and/or wooden shafts. Also, most were priced around $10/club, which is more than I wanted to pay. The last antique mall we visited was almost two acres (!) in size, and they just had stuff laying around outside. Set up against the building was this bag:

IMG_28112020_175355_(1280_x_1080_pixel).jpg.53d9b8818262612a2c2b4d845fba8144.jpg

I glanced at the price and it was $25, with a sticker for 50 percent off. Already planned on grabbing it at this point, but I started pulling out clubs and was ecstatic with what I found. A full 2-9 set of 1967 Wilson Staff X-31 irons!

IMG_28112020_175421_(1280_x_1080_pixel).jpg.2f03ac96ece8f1d27188ad3b51949313.jpg

From what I've found, 1967 was the only year Wilson lended the Staff moniker to the X-31 series. There's a some rust, and they need a good polish, and the grips are rotted away, but I'm so excited to get these cleaned up and on the course next year.

All of the woods are in so-so shape, but there's enough there to field a full set, and there's also an old putter that's too rusty to read the name. 

I did just order the matching pitching wedge from eBay, which humorously cost me more than what I paid for the whole bag. But to get all of these for $12.50 made me grin the whole way home.

Also tucked in the bag were a few loose irons (2, 4, 7 and 😎 of these beautiful 1963 MacGregors:

IMG_28112020_175328_(1280_x_800_pixel).jpg.b89a881c4804929a6755213550ba9b24.jpg

That's a great find on some beautiful clubs! I bet they'll look wonderful once you get them polished up. I appreciate the fact you've been following along with us. 

1 hour ago, edingc said:

I've been silently watching this thread envious of some of the clubs you guys are hitting. I tried trawling eBay and Goodwill, but I didn't see much that excited me.

Anyway, my wife wanted to get out of the house and so we ended up visiting a few socially-distanced antique malls today for Small Business Saturday. I typically look for old sports trading cards (my first hobby/love) and cast iron pans, but today I told her I would look for some vintage clubs.

The first three or four shops all had clubs but they were mismatched and/or wooden shafts. Also, most were priced around $10/club, which is more than I wanted to pay. The last antique mall we visited was almost two acres (!) in size, and they just had stuff laying around outside. Set up against the building was this bag:

IMG_28112020_175355_(1280_x_1080_pixel).jpg.53d9b8818262612a2c2b4d845fba8144.jpg

I glanced at the price and it was $25, with a sticker for 50 percent off. Already planned on grabbing it at this point, but I started pulling out clubs and was ecstatic with what I found. A full 2-9 set of 1967 Wilson Staff X-31 irons!

IMG_28112020_175421_(1280_x_1080_pixel).jpg.2f03ac96ece8f1d27188ad3b51949313.jpg

From what I've found, 1967 was the only year Wilson lended the Staff moniker to the X-31 series. There's a some rust, and they need a good polish, and the grips are rotted away, but I'm so excited to get these cleaned up and on the course next year.

All of the woods are in so-so shape, but there's enough there to field a full set, and there's also an old putter that's too rusty to read the name. 

I did just order the matching pitching wedge from eBay, which humorously cost me more than what I paid for the whole bag. But to get all of these for $12.50 made me grin the whole way home.

Also tucked in the bag were a few loose irons (2, 4, 7 and 😎 of these beautiful 1963 MacGregors:

Ironfinder might give you a hand in finding the rest of those Macs.  Great find!!!!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I fully anticipated playing an early Thanksgiving day round as I had to wake up at 5:30am to drive my Mother-in-law to dialysis. Unfortunately, I woke up at 3am and couldn’t get back to sleep. By the time I got home at 7 am from dropping her off I said forget it, and went back to bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Temperatures hit 50* around here yesterday (10C for our metric brethren), and I know some courses were open; I should have made an effort to get out and play.  Ultimately decided not to make the effort, for a number of reasons.  I may regret this in two months, when we're buried in snow and facing the usual Minnesota cold.   

Instead, I'm spending the morning watching the 1990 Open Championship final round, while my wife is off at work.  A lot of persimmon woods in play.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

21 hours ago, edingc said:

Move over Cobra's... and don't let the screen door hit you in the derrière on the way out 🤣.  Cool find!  You know what would be just as interesting is to have been a fly on the wall around pro shops and clubhouses, when all these clubs were in their heyday, listening to all the chatter about them.  If only golf clubs could speak.  Where and how they played, and who with.  I think that would be fascinating... but then I'm about a half bubble from level.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 11/28/2020 at 3:05 PM, sirchunksalot said:

Played another round of Classic golf today. While it wasn't my best performance, I was joined on the course by the World's Greatest Caddy. 20201128_142424-01.jpeg.467ce7a352b90bd92c42699ed4a4727b.jpeg

It's been a while since my wife joined me for a round and I had a blast sharing the experience with her. 

My round started out spectacularly, I was +7 through the first 5 holes capped off by a par on 5. I hit a nice drive to the left hand side of the fairway to 145 out. I then hit a 6 iron that barely rolled off the back of the green and 2 putted from 20 feet for the par. 

It went downhill from there. 

My next 4 holes I managed to shoot 8,8,7, and 11 to be +18 on the last 4 holes. I completely looked like I had never played golf before. Hole 9 is proving to be a problem for me, losing a drive left and having to hit a provisional. Chunked a 4 wood 6 feet then top pulled another way left. Chunked 2 iron then hit a nice drawy 6 iron left of the green. Skulled a wedge that barely missed going in a trap and ended up short of the green. I putted from there and finished out with two more putts. 

Overall, I shot a 61 from the silver tees 70.4/114. It got pretty clogged up with a lot of wait time after the 5th hole and my wife is positive the waiting had an effect on my game. She also doubles as my mental game coach. She's got her work cut out for her with my mental state. 

I was able to dress in my classic inspired outfit today. I got the idea from a photo of Arnold Palmer. Screenshot_20201128-170007_Firefox-01.jpeg.d664866da47280f11da0b75659dafcdd.jpeg

While not as stylish, or as slim, and needing a hat, I went for the cardigan and buttoned up shirt.We

Even though my game completely left me, I enjoyed the day on the course with some amazing company. 

We now have a clubhouse leader for the classic attire category... good show my man 👏.

10 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

We now have a clubhouse leader for the classic attire category... good show my man 👏.

I really enjoyed dressing like that, I got a couple of puzzled looks from people and that made it even better. It'll become one of my go to outfits on cool days and I especially loved the hat. 

21 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I really enjoyed dressing like that, I got a couple of puzzled looks from people and that made it even better. It'll become one of my go to outfits on cool days and I especially loved the hat. 

If they happen to look in your bag with what you were playing you will get some odd looks

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

If they happen to look in your bag with what you were playing you will get some odd looks

I'm surprised no one has said anything yet looking in my bag on the course of the range. I did run into the young fellow who I played in with last weekend and he commented on how well I hit the woods. 

Leaderboard update:

image.png.02df58f0d3b035dad8a03ac935ddc7f2.png

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll get to get a round in.  60 today but my go-to course refuses to let walk ons in.  

Checked in at the clubhouse where they told me they’d try to remember me.  Saw two 3-somes and a twosome tee off within 30 minutes afterwards.  Sigh.

Spent an hour and a half chipping and putting so it wasn’t a complete loss.

1 hour ago, toehold57 said:

I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll get to get a round in.  60 today but my go-to course refuses to let walk ons in.  

Checked in at the clubhouse where they told me they’d try to remember me.  Saw two 3-somes and a twosome tee off within 30 minutes afterwards.  Sigh.

Spent an hour and a half chipping and putting so it wasn’t a complete loss.

I hate that you weren't able to play today. It's good that you were able to make some lemonade out of the lemons, though, and got some short game practice in. We'll do this again in the spring and hopefully you and others that live in the cold weather states can participate. I'm enjoying reading about everyone's rounds and the classic club conversation that's gone on in this thread. 

Is this field simply going to let @sirchunksalotwalk away with the classic attire prize?  It's a good one and will be shipped to the winner.  I'll even open it up to the forum at large using a poll to decide 👍.

When does this first Classic Bag Challenge end?

On 11/30/2020 at 5:08 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

Leaderboard update:

image.png.02df58f0d3b035dad8a03ac935ddc7f2.png

LOL that 5 handicap does not get me much shooting 40 and 43--- LOL again should have done a injury adjusted handicap but have no idea. Besides it would seem like cheating for me. Was thankful to shoot what I shot and play 9 holes on separate days golfing my own ball.  Should have backed down some played in the scramble that Saturday got cocky swung too hard messed up again. Up to this Wednesday had not hit a ball since the 28th. been slowly building up again. Did not break anything again but got the back muscles which are still healing pissed off again. Was hitting the modern CBs ok yesterday and one of the guys saw me and asked if I was playing Saturday? I had to think  disclipine Stuey. I am really going to have to be hard on myself. One of my character flaws is I go WFO at anything I do. Nope as fun as it is I am not playing it. Basically as far up as I had climbed I basically fell off the ladder again ( yes pun intended). But I will bounce back I always do but my hard headed self has got to take heed. Hit the ball good yesterday hit about 40 balls and was hitting it good. Wanted to hit more but stopped myself. Glad I did. I am not hurting and stiff this morning. I will either hit balls or maybe play 5 holes or so this afternoon.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

LOL that 5 handicap does not get me much shooting 40 and 43--- LOL again should have done a injury adjusted handicap but have no idea. Besides it would seem like cheating for me. Was thankful to shoot what I shot and play 9 holes on separate days golfing my own ball.  Should have backed down some played in the scramble that Saturday got cocky swung too hard messed up again. Up to this Wednesday had not hit a ball since the 28th. been slowly building up again. Did not break anything again but got the back muscles which are still healing pissed off again. Was hitting the modern CBs ok yesterday and one of the guys saw me and asked if I was playing Saturday? I had to think  disclipine Stuey. I am really going to have to be hard on myself. One of my character flaws is I go WFO at anything I do. Nope as fun as it is I am not playing it. Basically as far up as I had climbed I basically fell off the ladder again ( yes pun intended). But I will bounce back I always do but my hard headed self has got to take heed. Hit the ball good yesterday hit about 40 balls and was hitting it good. Wanted to hit more but stopped myself. Glad I did. I am not hurting and stiff this morning. I will either hit balls or maybe play 5 holes or so this afternoon.

I'm glad to hear you didn't seriously re-injure yourself. Back problems are bad can be easily aggravated again. It's hard not go full bore at anything competitive, I've been guilty of that as well. I guess that's why we love playing this game, it stokes or competitive nature. I hope you can get out and either play or practice today. Take care of yourself @BIG STU

Ok guys, just a reminder that we have one more week post scores and I'll announce the winner next week and get the prize in the mail. I know it's getting near Christmas and getting hectic for everyone, but I do want to thank you all for supporting this. I apologize for a lack of my personal participation here the last couple of weeks, work has been crazy. I've worked a lot of six day weeks and have been wore out over it. 

I'm planning a final round next weekend and hopefully a better score than the ones I've posted. 

The "Best Classic Attire" has all the makings of a real nail biter and photo finish 😬.

image.png.c5b47b81510524304b1e6052e12f36ce.png

Hey deejays, is the orange whip considered a classic piece of equipment?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Hey deejays, is the orange whip considered a classic piece of equipment?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Haha! That was a “Homer” gift to my wife. There was an episode of the The Simpson’s were Homer buys a bowling ball for his wife and she isn’t a bowler. Well, my wife took a few lessons and the one thing the instructor mentioned they should have for training is an Orange Whip. I bought her one for her birthday hoping to keep her motivated learning the game.

Well, she hasn’t had a lesson since and the Orange Whip lives in my bag now.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

On 12/13/2020 at 5:46 PM, fixyurdivot said:

The "Best Classic Attire" has all the makings of a real nail biter and photo finish 😬.

image.png.c5b47b81510524304b1e6052e12f36ce.png

Looks like a no brainer to me---- Ya know just putting that out there for ya---- But I could be wrong have been before

G

18 hours ago, deejaid said:

Haha! That was a “Homer” gift to my wife. There was an episode of the The Simpson’s were Homer buys a bowling ball for his wife and she isn’t a bowler. Well, my wife took a few lessons and the one thing the instructor mentioned they should have for training is an Orange Whip. I bought her one for her birthday hoping to keep her motivated learning the game.

Well, she hasn’t had a lesson since and the Orange Whip lives in my bag now. emoji16.png

One of the nice things about getting old . An attitude adjustment. We were looking at TV the other night and they had a commercial on Stihl chain saws. I told the wife if someone gave me anything for Christmas involving work I would shoot them right there. Seriously it is just me and the wife and now our new dog and we do not do the gift thing. And no we are not sad and lonely on Christmas we like it just like it is. I feel privilaged I can sit around all day on Christmas in my underwear if I want to

G

16 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

One of the nice things about getting old . An attitude adjustment. We were looking at TV the other night and they had a commercial on Stihl chain saws. I told the wife if someone gave me anything for Christmas involving work I would shoot them right there. Seriously it is just me and the wife and now our new dog and we do not do the gift thing. And no we are not sad and lonely on Christmas we like it just like it is. I feel privilaged I can sit around all day on Christmas in my underwear if I want to

Why only on Christmas Day? 🙂

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

C'mon man.....there ain't enough mental floss in the world to get that image outta my head!!!   😵

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Went out to the shop and got distracted by the staff blades....ended up putting new grips on them.  The corded victory grips were extremely hard.  I was surprised the grip and tape came off as easy as it did.  I had some tour velvet's i picked up from somebody that was getting rid of their club working stuff.  Now I just need the snow to stay north of us and maybe I can take them out next weekend.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Why only on Christmas Day? 🙂

Well maybe I understated. I can tell you for a fact on days I do not go out I sit in my underwear

G

8 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

Went out to the shop and got distracted by the staff blades....ended up putting new grips on them.  The corded victory grips were extremely hard.  I was surprised the grip and tape came off as easy as it did.  I had some tour velvet's i picked up from somebody that was getting rid of their club working stuff.  Now I just need the snow to stay north of us and maybe I can take them out next weekend.

Hopefully the snow will miss you and you can get out and play. I'm hoping for the same thing with the rain this Sunday. The chances have dropped since Saturday and I hope it stays fairly dry. Best of luck to you if you get to play and most importantly, have fun!

8 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

Well I will say Staff Blades are certainally worth getting distracted over. And yes a confirmed Macgregor man said that

G