2020 Classic Bag Challenge

sirchunksalot

New grips ready to go!!!  I guess I could have just replaced the 5W and sand wedge grips to match the others, but the ones on them have a lot of life left.

20201215_083131.jpg.4e4b8e1b27581856fe457d27a8ba0948.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Accra Tour Z M5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :Sub70: Raw 50*, Nippon Tour 120 X; :vokey-small: SM9 54* / 10* / S, Wedge Flex ;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 57*, PX LZ 6.5;   :ping-small: Ancient Anser or Heppler Fetch (depends on the week);  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

21 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

New grips ready to go!!!

20201215_083131.jpg.4e4b8e1b27581856fe457d27a8ba0948.jpg

Well excellent across the board like the clubs like the grips and like the neat rack behind them

• Like 4

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Well maybe I understated. I can tell you for a fact on days I do not go out I sit in my underwear

Phew dodged a bullet on that one when I came to visit you at the shop!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

SkyCaddie SX400
Gameday
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small:King F9, Atmos TS Blue
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small:Covert 2.0 5W, 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson_staff_small:Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small:Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL:ER2
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

:ping-small:Eye 2 Laminate, 1,3,5,7
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW
:ping-small:Original Anser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

On 12/15/2020 at 9:39 AM, JohnSmalls said:

Phew dodged a bullet on that one when I came to visit you at the shop!

LOL NAAW do not do that at the shop--- Never know who will drop by--- Some see the door open and stop and some of them do not even play golf--- One of the neighbors LOL piddles with club repair some if he sees the door open he will stop by as he puts it "to see what the heck I am doing now?" I do loft and lie adjustments for him on occasion. Everyone knows now my condition and if they see the door closed they do not stop

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

1 hour ago, Mr. 82 said:

My brother Rick would win this contest, and it wouldn't be close.  He is constantly shooting in the 70's with hickory era clubs.  He dresses the part as well.  Here's a few pics and news article from his win last year at the US Hickory Open.

https://www.worldsbestgolfdestinations.com/rick-woeckener-wins-second-us-hickory-open

That is pretty cool!!  I read the rules on the website and if I understand it correctly they don't have to play balls that mimic pre 1935 era which surprises me.  It says all USGA approved balls can be used.  I have a couple wood shafted clubs (not sure they are hickory) I will have to try out for a few shots.  I know somebody that plays in some hickory shafted events and he says if you play wood shafted clubs by default one of your hobbies is wood shaft club repair!  

• Like 5

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Accra Tour Z M5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :Sub70: Raw 50*, Nippon Tour 120 X; :vokey-small: SM9 54* / 10* / S, Wedge Flex ;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 57*, PX LZ 6.5;   :ping-small: Ancient Anser or Heppler Fetch (depends on the week);  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

843CB8F5-3500-432B-95BF-9378A77931E6.jpeg.21df7cb1b25266ee7be1f8be6d2f0ac6.jpeg

@BIG STU’s bag for the challenge ( I am a dummy and can't read the words under a picture message).

• Like 5

SkyCaddie SX400
Gameday

Classic Bag

9 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

843CB8F5-3500-432B-95BF-9378A77931E6.jpeg.21df7cb1b25266ee7be1f8be6d2f0ac6.jpeg

@BIG STU’s bag for the challenge 

Well not exactly That was the last day my old home course Indian Wells was open 12-21-19. Actually IMHO there would be 2 cheater clubs for that. The Rusty Scotty and the Adams hybrid. I had found the hybrid the day before and had never hit it and my bud the former pro there suggested I bring it along. And I darn sure was not going to leave Rusty behind on the last day as good as he loved those greens.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

That is pretty cool!!  I read the rules on the website and if I understand it correctly they don't have to play balls that mimic pre 1935 era which surprises me.  It says all USGA approved balls can be used.  I have a couple wood shafted clubs (not sure they are hickory) I will have to try out for a few shots.  I know somebody that plays in some hickory shafted events and he says if you play wood shafted clubs by default one of your hobbies is wood shaft club repair!  

Now I know for a while the Society Of Hickory Golfers played what I call a spec ball which was basically a Wilson 50 or Duo core with a square dimple cover. Someone was buying the cores from what I was told and making the covers

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mr. 82 said:

My brother Rick would win this contest, and it wouldn't be close.  He is constantly shooting in the 70's with hickory era clubs.  He dresses the part as well.  Here's a few pics and news article from his win last year at the US Hickory Open.

https://www.worldsbestgolfdestinations.com/rick-woeckener-wins-second-us-hickory-open

That's a really cool article, thank you for sharing it! Congratulate him for me as that's an awesome accomplishment in what sounds like a great field of golfers. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Well not exactly That was the last day my old home course Indian Wells was open 12-21-19. Actually IMHO there would be 2 cheater clubs for that. The Rusty Scotty and the Adams hybrid. I had found the hybrid the day before and had never hit it and my bud the former pro there suggested I bring it along. And I darn sure was not going to leave Rusty behind on the last day as good as he loved those greens.

I am a dummy, I was running behind today and wanted to be sure I got that posted before I left the office.  So in my haste I called it your challenge bag.  🤦‍♂️

• Like 6

SkyCaddie SX400
Gameday

Classic Bag

9 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

I am a dummy, I was running behind today and wanted to be sure I got that posted before I left the office.  So in my haste I called it your challenge bag.  🤦‍♂️

Thats OK just did not want anyone to think I would cheat

• Like 5

Ok guys, today was the last day to post a round for the Classic Bag Challenge. I was hoping to get a final round in today, but having to work yesterday kinda made me want to take a day and relax. The past few months have been crazy, and I want to thank each and every one of you for participating. I had a blast and the discussion here added to my knowledge and appreciation of how the game used to be played. 

Late fall and early winter wasn't ideal for this, but I feel we had a successful trial run for another competition in the spring. I hope by then more people can get in on the fun when it warms up. 

Thank you again to @HardcoreLooper for keeping on top of the scoring, I appreciate it more than you know. 

@BIG STUI still have a desire to get out to the Myrtle Beach area and meet you if things settle down. I also hope to meet up with @JohnSmalls if I can head out that way. 

@toehold57 I wish you could have played, but I understand since the club you play was restricting walk ons. I hope you can get in on it next year, I really enjoy talking to you. 

@fixyurdivot thank you for offering up a prize for this competition. It was fun to dress up and I'll be adding the outfit to my regular rotation. 

@deejaid congratulations on the win! It was a nail biter edging out @HardcoreLooper 33.723/33.75. DM me your address and I will ship the Bridgestone Customized balls your way.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Awesome thread guys!  Thanks @sirchunksalotfor putting this on!  I got my bag ready, woods and putter regripped and didn't get a score posted but I'm looking forward to the spring edition.   Thanks to all the guys that helped make this a success.   Congrats to @deejaid!   @HardcoreLooper you have a knack for making a splash in forum tournaments. 

Jason, you're always welcome in SC.  Look forward in catching up if (when) you get the opportunity to come this way.  Golf/lunch is on me.

• Like 6

SkyCaddie SX400
Gameday

Classic Bag

12 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

@fixyurdivot thank you for offering up a prize for this competition. It was fun to dress up and I'll be adding the outfit to my regular rotation. 

Your most welcome.  The awards truck will be leaving the dock today.  I'll leave it to you whether you want to rub the others noses in what could have been 😆.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

Wow! I’m honored to get the victory but feel a little guilty winning with just two rounds. I expected to get a few more rounds in but it felt like I went to bed on Thanksgiving night and I woke up and it is Christmas. Where did the last month go? I guess I can say the same for all of 2020.

It was fun to share and talk classic clubs with you all and I hope more people discover the joys of classic golf in 2021 and beyond!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 6

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Great article

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr   
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

21 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Ok guys, today was the last day to post a round for the Classic Bag Challenge. I was hoping to get a final round in today, but having to work yesterday kinda made me want to take a day and relax. The past few months have been crazy, and I want to thank each and every one of you for participating. I had a blast and the discussion here added to my knowledge and appreciation of how the game used to be played. 

Late fall and early winter wasn't ideal for this, but I feel we had a successful trial run for another competition in the spring. I hope by then more people can get in on the fun when it warms up. 

Thank you again to @HardcoreLooper for keeping on top of the scoring, I appreciate it more than you know. 

@BIG STUI still have a desire to get out to the Myrtle Beach area and meet you if things settle down. I also hope to meet up with @JohnSmalls if I can head out that way. 

@toehold57 I wish you could have played, but I understand since the club you play was restricting walk ons. I hope you can get in on it next year, I really enjoy talking to you. 

@deejaid congratulations on the win! It was a nail biter edging out @HardcoreLooper 33.723/33.75. DM me your address and I will ship the Bridgestone Customized balls your way.

Come on down Be glad to have you

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Come on down Be glad to have you

I'm hoping things will settle down and be closer to normal by my next shutdown at Memorial day. The wife is all in on coming out there, she's into houseplants and believes y'all have some good nurseries in the area. 

• Like 3

On 12/16/2020 at 1:20 PM, Mr. 82 said:

Very cool.  I had no idea they had a vintage equipment US Open.  I'd be curious what the rules are regarding equipment.

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)