TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sub 70 Golf

2 hours ago, GolfSub70 said:

Thanks for the message!

The 286 Series is an update to our previous Forged Series, with a straighter leading edge compared to the original model. They're a bit more rounded to the front edge compared to the JB to let it glide a bit more than dig in. Very forgiving, super easy to hit in terms of a forged wedge. This should be closer in comparison to Cleveland's 588 series wedges than our JB Wedges will be.

The JB Wedge is more of our "Tour Preferred" wedge, and features more heel relief, more of a straight leading edge, and little less of a rounded sole. These wedges are designed for golfers that want their wedge to sit a bit tighter when it’s a straight on shot, while offering workability by using the bounce. This is very comparable to Vokey SM8 M Grind.

These videos might help provide further context as well...

286 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZNVNRL3LyY
JB - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-DOHEAwjY

Sure, come into a thread and actually explain things about the clubs that you make instead of relying on my vague descriptions and terrible pictures...

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

On 5/1/2021 at 9:55 AM, ericlawhead said:

This whole thread is great to read. I’m local to Sub70 and am heading there this week to look at hybrids. All this talk has me thinking other possibilities as well. Glad everyone is really digging these and makes me feel more comfortable looking at them. 

Update. What an experience hitting and getting fitted with Sub70. Can’t recommend them enough. Went in with one thing in my head and what I wanted. Talking through everything with Dan and having him look at and understand my swing and it’s faults I walked out of there with a 699 Pro U 3 iron getting made. I felt comfortable and they weren’t there to upsell or put me in something that doesn’t make sense just because I thought I needed it. First Sub70 club coming into the bag soon and definitely won’t be the last. 

22 minutes ago, ericlawhead said:

Update. What an experience hitting and getting fitted with Sub70. Can’t recommend them enough. Went in with one thing in my head and what I wanted. Talking through everything with Dan and having him look at and understand my swing and it’s faults I walked out of there with a 699 Pro U 3 iron getting made. I felt comfortable and they weren’t there to upsell or put me in something that doesn’t make sense just because I thought I needed it. First Sub70 club coming into the bag soon and definitely won’t be the last. 

Glad you had a good experience. Been on the fence to add their utility to then swap with their 3H depending on the day. Had a pxg 2i that I was ok with so a utility kind of makes me hesitant to use if needed from the deck. Let us know how it works in play for you!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

20 hours ago, GolfSub70 said:

Thanks for the message!

The 286 Series is an update to our previous Forged Series, with a straighter leading edge compared to the original model. They're a bit more rounded to the front edge compared to the JB to let it glide a bit more than dig in. Very forgiving, super easy to hit in terms of a forged wedge. This should be closer in comparison to Cleveland's 588 series wedges than our JB Wedges will be.

The JB Wedge is more of our "Tour Preferred" wedge, and features more heel relief, more of a straight leading edge, and little less of a rounded sole. These wedges are designed for golfers that want their wedge to sit a bit tighter when it’s a straight on shot, while offering workability by using the bounce. This is very comparable to Vokey SM8 M Grind.

These videos might help provide further context as well...

286 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZNVNRL3LyY
JB - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-DOHEAwjY

Thank you much for the additional info @GolfSub70! Really making a good case at me getting one of those JB wedges now, 3 utility is on its way to me, but may have make another order here very soon! Thanks again!

Driver: Taylormade Sim (Handcrafted Hzrdus Yellow 63g 6.5 flex)

Fairway: Mizuno ST200ts 15* (Tensei Blue X Flex) (Needs to be replaced)

Utility: Sub 70 699u 17* 2 iron (Proforce V2 S Flex) / Sub 70 699u Pro 19.5* 3 iron (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)

Irons: Mizuno MP 25 4-PW (Project X S Flex)

Wedges: 50* & 54* Cleveland RTX 4 Raw, 58* Cobra Snakebite Versatile Grind/60* PM Grind Callaway

Putter: Tommy Armour Habanero

Ball: Titleist Pro V1/Pro V1x

18 hours ago, myherobobhope said:

Sure, come into a thread and actually explain things about the clubs that you make instead of relying on my vague descriptions and terrible pictures...

I dug the pic and your descriptions

Utility: Sub 70 699u 17* 2 iron (Proforce V2 S Flex) / Sub 70 699u Pro 19.5* 3 iron (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)

Wedges: 50* & 54* Cleveland RTX 4 Raw, 58* Cobra Snakebite Versatile Grind/60* PM Grind Callaway

3 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Glad you had a good experience. Been on the fence to add their utility to then swap with their 3H depending on the day. Had a pxg 2i that I was ok with so a utility kind of makes me hesitant to use if needed from the deck. Let us know how it works in play for you!

I hit the 17* 2 iron 699U off the deck all time, granted it is the more forgiving model, but I hardly ever mishit it, half the time I'd rather try to pinch a really hard of those over a 3 wood into some par 5's.

I just ordered a 286 at 52° and a JB at 56°. I'm just replacing the 56° original Sub70 with these. The original is the best wedge I've ever used. I Briefly tried the Kirklands, and some Mac Daddy's this year, they both went right back the the store. Sub70 for me. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

18 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

I just ordered a 286 at 52° and a JB at 56°. I'm just replacing the 56° original Sub70 with these. The original is the best wedge I've ever used. I Briefly tried the Kirklands, and some Mac Daddy's this year, they both went right back the the store. Sub70 for me. 

I'm really happy with the 286 and JB combo... I feel like it gives me tons of options around the green... I like the Sub70 wedges, I don't like my current wedge game!

Sub70 5i - DG S400

3 hours ago, NotBrian said:

I dug the pic and your descriptions

Thanks! I'm assuming it's still Jay running their social media, so I enjoy giving him grief every once in awhile... he's used to me by now.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Patiently waiting for my wedges to be completed and shipped.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Just a quick follow up: I purchased a set of 699 pro & 939 hybrids back in November. The irons were a fantastic looking set with minimal offset & a nice looking top line, by no means were they game improvement looking irons, but they inspired confidence & distance. 
My only issue with them at times was that I’m a digger with my swing & I seemed to hit the short irons fat a few to many times. 
Because of that, I had a friend who loved the look of the 699 pro’s & purchased them from me.

I have since purchased a set of 639 CB irons & absolutely love them. They have better turf interaction for my swing. 
I have also purchased 3 & 5 pro fairway woods, 699 pro utility, & set of the JB wedges (probably my favorite sub 70 clubs I have)! 
I also have 2 of their 939 X hybrids, I have always struggled hitting hybrids but hit these better than any hybrid I’ve ever tried. I’m not sure if I’ll play them much because I love the 699 pro utility & it’s versatility & length!

I have no regrets in purchasing & playing Sub 70 golf equipment (everything but driver & putter is Sub 70)! They will be in my bag for a long time, you can’t beat the price, quality, & customer service! A few friends I play with often says repeatedly every Sub 70 club I have just sounds solid at impact & produces a very penetrating ball flight! 

If you’re considering Sub 70, I highly recommend them. I’ve played almost all the major brands over the years & Sub 70 is second to none. 

670FA470-7DC0-4BB9-B695-0C010F345915.jpeg

110569D8-1D63-43B8-8430-77ED99A080BA.jpeg

Driver: Tour Edge EXS

3 wood: Tour Edge HL4 

Utility Irons: Ben Hogan FT Worth

Irons: Ben Hogan FT Worth 15

Wedges: Ben Hogan Equalizer

putter: Odyssey Triple Track TeN 

6 hours ago, lefty2010 said:

Just a quick follow up: I purchased a set of 699 pro & 939 hybrids back in November. The irons were a fantastic looking set with minimal offset & a nice looking top line, by no means were they game improvement looking irons, but they inspired confidence & distance. 
My only issue with them at times was that I’m a digger with my swing & I seemed to hit the short irons fat a few to many times. 
Because of that, I had a friend who loved the look of the 699 pro’s & purchased them from me.

I have since purchased a set of 639 CB irons & absolutely love them. They have better turf interaction for my swing. 
I have also purchased 3 & 5 pro fairway woods, 699 pro utility, & set of the JB wedges (probably my favorite sub 70 clubs I have)! 
I also have 2 of their 939 X hybrids, I have always struggled hitting hybrids but hit these better than any hybrid I’ve ever tried. I’m not sure if I’ll play them much because I love the 699 pro utility & it’s versatility & length!

I have no regrets in purchasing & playing Sub 70 golf equipment (everything but driver & putter is Sub 70)! They will be in my bag for a long time, you can’t beat the price, quality, & customer service! A few friends I play with often says repeatedly every Sub 70 club I have just sounds solid at impact & produces a very penetrating ball flight! 

If you’re considering Sub 70, I highly recommend them. I’ve played almost all the major brands over the years & Sub 70 is second to none. 

That’s awesome! Seems like you should have picked up a bag from them, though! 

Sub70 5i - DG S400

10 hours ago, GolfSub70 said:

It is!  I'll take all the grief thrown my way...and I appreciated your pictures and thoughts on the wedges as well!

Hi jay! So happy to see you guys so busy. Appreciate the time you spend on forums answering questions and helping out. Hope all is well. 

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Took my new 699 Pro's out onto the course for the first time yesterday. Loved them. Feels like the ball flies off the face, and my ball flight looks a lot better as well, was very impressed. Distance was good, but the main thing was they are still forgiving. My best shot all day in terms of where the ball ended up was actually one of my worst strikes, caught it out of the toe but it still flew and stopped a foot from the pin. 

Great clubs, and would recommend people check them out. 

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:titleist-small:, Pro V1

On 5/9/2021 at 6:57 AM, myherobobhope said:

Hi jay! So happy to see you guys so busy. Appreciate the time you spend on forums answering questions and helping out. Hope all is well. 

Absolutely!  I'm happy to do it.  I try to stay on top of it and check a few different websites/message boards every day or two...but if anyone ever has any questions or needs anything quickly they can always email me directly at Jay@GolfSub70.com 

On 5/6/2021 at 4:15 PM, myherobobhope said:

It’s fine, my visor needs have been met for this month.

I don’t think there is a ton of difference, the sole grind and bounce options are different... I like the classic sole on the 286 for standard shots and the more aggressive grind on the jb for opening it up and playing more flop shots.

I'm using the 58* JB low bounce for full shots now and really enjoying it.  As I noted in another post above, once the course softens up, might need to go to a higher bounce wedge but for now, the JB is a great wedge.  Was playing Vokey SM8 previously and still have the 54* vokey in the bag.  It's higher bounce so I've got choices now.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

On 5/8/2021 at 10:05 PM, lefty2010 said:

Are the CBs on the demanding side relative to other iron types?

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

48 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Are the CBs on the demanding side relative to other iron types?

Define demanding. They aren't blades or muscle backs... I've bounce around from a 4-15 handicap over the past 20 years, and played Taylor Made Burners for the majority of it... These are as forgiving as those and feel 10x better. I'm currently playing Adams CMBs (basically cavity backs with tungsten in the toe) and find them slightly more foriving than the 639 CB (I have the 5 iron) but it's not a TON different... The 699s are definitely more forgiving... I mishit my 699U 4 iron on Saturday and ended up 10 yards short when I expected to be 40 yards short... 

To me, that's the main difference... massive mishits aren't as punished with the 699s... slight mishits aren't dead with either... 

I had planned on getting a mixed set of the CBs and MBs at one point, but 2020 was a mess... I'm enjoying my (new to me) CMBs right now... maybe by the time I wear them out Sub70 will have a tungsten toe CB offering.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

1 hour ago, Larryd3 said:

I'm using the 58* JB low bounce for full shots now and really enjoying it.  As I noted in another post above, once the course softens up, might need to go to a higher bounce wedge but for now, the JB is a great wedge.  Was playing Vokey SM8 previously and still have the 54* vokey in the bag.  It's higher bounce so I've got choices now.  

I'm pretty sold on the concept of a high bounce sand wedge and a low bounce lob wedge... I don't always think through which bounce I need for the shot, but it's been interesting to think about my wedges as more than just the loft on the club... I've been grinding my short game due to a back injury, so I've spent way too much time thinking about this stuff.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

On 5/9/2021 at 6:20 PM, lefty2010 said:

Here’s a picture of the entire bag!

C377DAFD-22A1-46F9-B31D-8ACA415D6057.jpeg

Sharp looking bag! How do you like the fairways? Boy do I like the look of those JB's also.

I was considering/debating going with Sub70 before reading this thread but what I'm seeing here has me sold.  Thanks for all the inciteful input from everyone.

@GolfSub70 I will be giving you guys a call tomorrow!!

Just tap it in.  Lil' taparoo.

:honma: TW747 460 10.5° Vizard stiff

:adams-small: 4 Hybrid

:Sub70: 699 5-Aw; KBS Tour-V 90 Stiff

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 58°

:taylormade-small: Spider Interactive

3 hours ago, IDontGiveAchuck said:

I was considering/debating going with Sub70 before reading this thread but what I'm seeing here has me sold.  Thanks for all the inciteful input from everyone.

@GolfSub70 I will be giving you guys a call tomorrow!!

You want regret that decision! Quality, price, & customer service is awesome!

Love every product by Sub 70. Mike, Jay, and their CEO Jason are some of the best in the business. They will ensure you get the best fitting, best performing clubs in your hands. 

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

9 hours ago, NotBrian said:

Sharp looking bag! How do you like the fairways? Boy do I like the look of those JB's also.

They’re solid! Long, forgiving for a pro model & easy to hit & launch into the air off the turf. I prefer the 5 wood over the hybrid. 

Almost makes you want to get them just to see what happens.

My Reviews:

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

Almost makes you want to get them just to see what happens.

I watched this and it only makes me want the TAIII irons even more. They really seemed to perform well and they seemed to sound a bit better as well. Am I good enough to play them probably not but we all know that's not going to stop the dreaming.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

42 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

I watched this and it only makes me want the TAIII irons even more. They really seemed to perform well and they seemed to sound a bit better as well. Am I good enough to play them probably not but we all know that's not going to stop the dreaming.

They aren't that bad and are fairly forgiving. I have been surprised by their performance in the players iron testing.   In my opinion just as good as anything else in the test.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

They aren't that bad and are fairly forgiving. I have been surprised by their performance in the players iron testing.   In my opinion just as good as anything else in the test.   

Ok everyone needs to stop this I have already wondered how much my irons might sell for (not enough got some nice dings in them) many times today.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3