Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Fold Pattern -- What are your thoughts?

Have been researching a lot lately regarding correlations (if any) to full swing grip and putting grip/stroke. Many of us do what feels natural and I have always wondered the cause/effect in my golf swing/putting choices.  I read/research a lot regarding golf swing methodologies. Thought I would ping the SPY audience for thoughts regarding what Edell is discussing in this video. Appreciate any comments/information shared. 

My instructor has been helping me with full swing based on Mike Adams approaches.  To me it makes perfect sense that the different grips that Mike discusses would apply to putting as well.  I am a side on golfer and my grip is pretty close to what David is indicated a side on golfer should do.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Someone asked Phil Kenyon this question on Instagram. Will be interesting to see his response. The comment was in reference to a post about people trying multiple grips.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 10/18/2020 at 8:30 PM, cnosil said:

My instructor has been helping me with full swing based on Mike Adams approaches.  To me it makes perfect sense that the different grips that Mike discusses would apply to putting as well.  I am a side on golfer and my grip is pretty close to what David is indicated a side on golfer should do.  

Thanks for comments. Years ago I read the book The Laws of the Golf Swing that I guess Mike Adams co-authored with Tomasi and Suttie. It is one of my favorite instruction books that I review periodically. I really like how Mike Adams explains various parts of the swing/putting. Now I am wanting to read more of his instruction since watching the Fold video. Just amazing if one can identify something from full swing and establish correlation/adjustment for one's putting stroke. Might really help lots of golfers improve.  

Thanks for comments. Years ago I read the book The Laws of the Golf Swing that I guess Mike Adams co-authored with Tomasi and Suttie. It is one of my favorite instruction books that I review periodically. I really like how Mike Adams explains various parts of the swing/putting. Now I am wanting to read more of his instruction since watching the Fold video. Just amazing if one can identify something from full swing and establish correlation/adjustment for one's putting stroke. Might really help lots of golfers improve.  

I emailed my putting instructor last night and he said there is a
lot of social media discussion on the use of the trail hand in putting. It does play a role, but at this point those who are promoting are trying to fit you into a particular putting approach and More work needs to be done to completely understand. In one of the videos he talked about the claw grip; which is designed to take the right hand out of the stroke and is left side powered. Meaning the the role of the right hand is passive and the fundamentally there are lots of ways to grip and swing the putter

I also asked about the radial vs linear approach David Edel was talking about in the videos he posts . My coach said that that style works best with the toe up Edel putters but it is a difficult pattern to repeat.

• 1 year later...

Watching the Edel series and intrigued by the over/side/under golfer pattern he was talking about. I find that my putting is mostly controlled by my lead arm so I don’t think about the that rear hand position all that much 

I google Mike Adams and he has some recent video explaining the over/side and under/side right hand grip in the full swing and it makes a lot of sense to me now 

I think it’s a better way of explaining the trail arm grip for the full swing rather than strong/weak and fold pattern that matches it 

I think the whole point is that the way one grips the putter greatly affects the head rotation and movement through the putting motion. Edel designed a tool that one puts their putter against, and it rotates once the person has their grip fully on the club and pushes forward a tiny bit. It shows how open or closed the face would be at impact just from how one grips the putter. Changing one’s grip changes how the tool rotates! One immediately sees how the grip affects the face at impact. So, in the putting realm, that’s what David really gets into. Here’s a pic, and here’s the link to the item where Edel shows how the tool works.

https://edelgolf.com/collections/teach-train/products/grip-analyzer-and-trainer

A1BB384E-7B71-449F-A79C-48BCD9CD372B.jpeg.44631dad05e9bd611dab9cfffda10187.jpeg

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 1 month later...

Coming out of the rabbit hole  with this trial arm  fold concept by Mike Adams

Applied to the putting stroke makes a lot of sense to me

Im an "under golfer" when it comes to swinging the club   it feels more natural to have the trail arm motion like under hand throw action

but with chipping and putting  "under" hasnt worked for me ,

the way Edel explains the claw for the "over/cover golfer"  makes a lot of sense

For me the putting stoke is more of a hit than a swing and  I feel better in controlled if my trail elbow is in the "over ' position .