What are some of your favorite golf books that you have purchased?

One of my favorite books about golf is My Place at the Table by John Derr.  Mr. Derr covered the second Masters Tournament as a boy reporter for a small newspaper, and covered the next 60+ Masters for print, radio, and television.  The book simply tells stories from his life, including encounters with Mahatma Ghandi, Albert Einstein, Hogan, Palmer, Dwight Eisenhower, lots more.  Sadly, I don't think its in print anymore, but Amazon shows used copies available pretty inexpensively.  This article gives a taste of the kinds of stories he had to tell:

https://www.linksmagazine.com/characters_john_derr/

• Like 1
  • Love 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'm going to go a different route. Books by Pelz, Stockton, Nicklaus, Hogan etc are are fun. But I don't have their swings, I like the read for the read, but from an instruction standpoint... Hogan's book alone probably made more people worse at golf than if they didn't read it. 

The "Golf" books I love, the stylized books by Mark Frost are way too fun to read. I like reading anything that makes me want to play more and a good golf story does that. 

The other book that is really good, is Dream Golf. It's the story of Bandon Dunes and how it came to be. I think it has been revised with each added course, the revisions are okay, but the main arc and path of Bandon is a great read. 

• Like 4

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5° - Fujikura Pro

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :Sub70:  JB 52° , 286 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

This one is pretty old, but I enjoyed it when I read it.  Probably should do so again, as the main message is:  "Take Your Medicine!"

Smart Golf Book.jpg

• Like 2

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Nippon N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

...and of course this gem of literature!

Feherty Village Idiot Book.png

• Haha 2

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Nippon N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

• 2 months later...

The Little Book of Breaking 80 by Shane Jones

It has a lot of really good mental game insight and touches on controlling expectations and focusing practice.

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

• 3 months later...

I personally like "Understanding the Golf Swing" by Manuel de la Torre. It is another book on the swing but it focuses on the club based approach which doesn't seem to be taught much. The club based approach to instruction is essentially focusing on where you want the club to go instead of worrying about the position your body is in or where your hips are. The theory is that if you focus on swinging the club down the target line, your body will do what's necessary to accomplish that. There is a simplicity to this method that no other swing thoughts or methods in the game of golf possess. I've had tremendous success with this method and even if it's not the method or swing thought you like, it offers invaluable insight on the swing and can really help your mental game.

The other books I like are Maltby's and Wishon's club building/fitting books. Golf equipment is the most studied and perfected sports equipment in the world. It can be interesting to learn the specifics of it if you're into that. 

Lot's of other good books out there on golf. I have a stack that I have yet to read including Zen Golf, Golf Flow, and a few others. I don't know how good those are but I will read them eventually. 

About a year ago I tried to "modernize" my swing a bit and wound up putting myself in a slump. I broke out a copy of hogan's five lessons and soon realized that my entire swing was still built on this book... the first golf book I ever read. I went back to all those fundamentals and poof... no more slump. Still the best instruction book ever, imo.

• Like 1

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

• 4 weeks later...

Taking a dive into some old school knowledge & philosophy ...

20210927_160440.jpg.c21bc0f4f14215f6e582b7ff8a310426.jpg

Starting with the one on the right. It's got a cool little embedded feature - at the bottom of each right-hand page is a small pic.. each of which is one frame from a video of Sam Snead's swing .. so flipping through the pages of the book shows you a little old fashioned "video"!

• Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
...Edel EAS 4.0 (stock shaft, zero offset hosel, round grip)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 7:47 PM, verojoe said:

Legend of Bagger Vance by Stephen Pressfield.

... I think this should be must reading for any golfer. 

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

On 10/16/2021 at 4:08 PM, Madeleine Baker said:

Idk, I haven't read it yet. Maybe I'll find some recommendations here😃

+++! I'm also looking for recommendations. My teacher advised me to read more books to improve my writing skills. I love golf, so I want to choose something from this theme. And I need writing skills because I can't write essays. Now https://www.bestessay.com/buy-college-essays/ saves me. They write everything on time and very well.

Edited by lilahhayes

Today’s golf is not really different from when I learned to play in the early 1950’s.  Today’s power hitters invariably hit a fade. They set up pretty much the way Ben Hogan did. 
 I heartily recommend his 5 lessons as the Bible .

Everything in that book was right. Grip, posture, etc. my second book would be Tom Watsons , getting up and down.

Sam Snead had a pamphlet about his swing that was enlightening also

everything else is a spin off.

I was a single digit for many years and now time has caught up with me.

But the point is  those books covered me for my golf career.

If you get caught up in stuff, Rotellas book would be helpful

Love golf books.  Couple of my favorites: All of the Bob Rotella series.  All of the Pelz books, though the putting ones are a little too in the weeds and can cause you to over think. 

One that is not specifically golf:  The Talent Code - about how to be good at things, mostly sports.  It is very interesting.

And two good fictional ones: Seven days in Utopia and Johnny's US Open by Dr. David Cook.  

Cheers

Tigger

Bob Toski ….. While I read Hogan’s 5 lessons firstthe real eye opener for me was Toski’s 1978, How to Become a Complete Golfer. I believe it was the first book containing tips and drills to help you improve, not just the swing theory of a famous tour professional. Only one I remember now is chipping over a golf bag. Toski was so popular, especially his breakthrough club head redirection, the PGA used his books and theories in their PGA School.

Unfortunately, I loaned my book to a golf pal, and never saw it again. 

9EE191B7-6844-4673-BC79-92076CD2C762.jpeg

Edited by B_R_A_D_Y

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

21 minutes ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

Bob Toski ….. While I read Hogan’s 5 lessons firstthe real eye opener for me was Toski’s 1978, How to Become a Complete Golfer. I believe it was the first book containing tips and drills to help you improve, not just the swing theory of a famous tour professional. Only one I remember now is chipping over a golf bag. Toski was so popular, especially his breakthrough club head redirection, the PGA used his books and theories in their PGA School.

Unfortunately, I loaned my book to a golf pal, and never saw it again. 

Might sound sacrilegious to some, but while Hogan’s book certainly has its place on any golfers book shelf, that book might as well be called “how to not go left”.  Point being, really not the best prescription for most.  
Sounds like Toski’s was a good one…

• Like 1

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: SIM DHY 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL:ER7B 

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Might sound sacrilegious to some, but while Hogan’s book certainly has its place on any golfers book shelf, that book might as well be called “how to not go left”.  Point being, really not the best prescription for most.  
Sounds like Toski’s was a good one…

... Or as we called it "Hogans never hit another hook" manual. I have quite a few golf books but these are my favorites and I go back to them again and again: 

Toski/Love was my first golf book and still holds up.

If You are a DLIII fan you will love Every Step I Take and if you are not a fan, you will become one.

While not a big Leadbetter guy, his book breaks down many of the great swings very well. (pre Tiger) 

Freddie's book may not help you with your swing but as always there are some great thoughts in it that you might be able to incorporate into your swing. 

And as a Zen kinda guy I gained more from Bagger Vance than any golf book I have ever read. Golf in the Kingdom is also a very inspirational read. 

966889758_aToskiLove.JPG.9d0f5ba860a76f2fd208a39c4e9cf8d2.JPGaDLIII.jpg.5c885d6c5fa71da34fedf55cc86b6777.jpgaLedbetter.jpg.b922edc0a59ed02e00d18ec5dcd295ab.jpgaFreddie.jpg.55ff074291d67673df23ccf2d750fe16.jpg474049380_aBaggerVance.jpg.6407b1801a5ebf120cf5164f45880a9c.jpgaKingdom.jpg.d290f70060ec08fe1def5c9359fe4106.jpgaHogan.jpg.606afe211d1f9cb3019f6c76f45ae822.jpg

• Like 2

Hogan even admitted his swing was meant to fight his tendency to hook the ball.

Penick’s Little Read Book was enjoyable because I grew up with the people he talks about, like Crenshaw and Kite. But the biggest impact was his teaching techniques, specifically not overloading the student with more than one change to their swing. As they master one change, you build on another.

08356A8C-59CF-4027-B28D-9655B0616286.jpeg

Edited by B_R_A_D_Y

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

3 hours ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

But the biggest impact was his teaching techniques, specifically not overloading the student with more than one change to their swing. As they master one change, you build on another.

... When I first started teaching an old "country boy" North Carolina instructor in his early 90's told me "When your givin' out infer-mayshun, do it by tha teespoon not tha shovul" It was great advice and became the cornerstone of my teaching. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

“A Course Called Ireland” …. end of story. IMHO, best golf book ever written.

Driver: Ping G425 Max, 9*, Miyazaki  Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 6S, 44.75" playing length

4-Wood: Titleist TS2, 16.5*, Miyazaki Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 7S, 42.75" playing length

5/7-Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero set to 20* loft; Tensei Blue 75-S, 41.5" playing length

Hybrids: Exotics EXS Pro (22*), Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 75S

Irons: Exotics EXS220 5-iron and New Level MODB-1 (6-iron through PW), KBS TGI Tour 80 (stiff) shafts

Wedges: New Hogan Equalizer wedges (48* and 56* + Maltby TSW Forged 52-8, all bent 1* weak

Putter: Evnroll ER2, 34”with Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTBx

Spoiler