TESTERS WANTED! ×

Do you shorten your grip to control distance

Hi guys, I have suggested this to several times and were surprised that the responses were that they had never tried it. I was taught to shorten my grip as a means of closing the gap between clubs. For example with my normal grip I hit a 7 iron 155M (170yds) however by moving my hands down the grip I can vary the length by up to 8m (8.8yds) It means that I can still have a full swing, just takes a bit of getting used to holding the thinner grip.

Once you get used to it it can make a huge difference particularly with shorter clubs.

Is this something you do. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

I makes my ball-flight lower, and it feels strange having weight above my hands. Sometimes I'll choke down for punch shots, with moderate results.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

WITB

Driver: :srixon-small: Z785 , Hazardous 6.0 (Normal)

3 Wood: :srixon-small: F85 @ 13.5* Hazardous Red 6.0 (Stiff)

Driving Iron/Utility: :srixon-small: ZU85 2iron @ 18*

Irons: 5-PW, :cleveland-small: 588CB w/ TT S300's  (Stiff)

Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX4 Satin, 50*/Mid, 56*/Mid and 60*/Low

Putter: :cleveland-small:Portofino

Bag: :srixon-small: Stand Bag

currently i do, because i don’t have anything between my 9i (160-165) and my 56 (120)

as a result, my 9i has to play a lot of roles and i choke down to take some distance or height off the ball

once my PW and 52 come in, i’ll be able to use full and 3/4 swings to cover all my gaps 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

I do better with different swings to control distance. Like @Shankstermy grip is pretty close to the end of the grip and that’s where I like it. I have my 4 different swings for each club and that covers all my distances I need

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I'm not good enough to hit my clubs exact specific distances with a full swing, so moving my hands lower on the grip does nothing for me except introduce another variable in my ball striking prowess.  With that said, I can take distance off a club by using a 9 to 3 swing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Heard about this and yes,  I do this occasionally but not always as effective as I would like.  I am  also choking down on my short irons for pitches and chips to try and get more control.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Firebird said:

Hi guys, I have suggested this to several times and were surprised that the responses were that they had never tried it. I was taught to shorten my grip as a means of closing the gap between clubs. For example with my normal grip I hit a 7 iron 155M (170yds) however by moving my hands down the grip I can vary the length by up to 8m (8.8yds) It means that I can still have a full swing, just takes a bit of getting used to holding the thinner grip.

Once you get used to it it can make a huge difference particularly with shorter clubs.

I do it.  I will sometimes grip down an inch or 2 when I want to take some distance off of a club.  It allows me to use the same swing but get 5 yards less and sometimes when Im in-between clubs, its a help.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

I do better with different swings to control distance. Like @Shankstermy grip is pretty close to the end of the grip and that’s where I like it. I have my 4 different swings for each club and that covers all my distances I need

It was good enough for Trevino.  He was/is pretty good.  Choking up on it really lightens the SW, messes me all up.

19 minutes ago, Shankster said:

It was good enough for Trevino.  He was/is pretty good.  Choking up on it really lightens the SW, messes me all up.

Same my game has changed a little but I’m trying to play to my full swing distance...I’m most comfortable “going after it” for lack of a better term

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I grip down a couple inches on the grip for my wedges for awkward distances.  For instance 80 yds kills me.   Requires a full swing from my 58* or a 9 to 3 swing with 54*.  Sometimes, I grip down on the 54* so that I can have a freer swing. 

My swing isn't consistent enough yet to do this with longer irons.

Driver: Taylormade M5 9.5* Tensei Stiff

Woods:  Orlimar Tri-metal 13* and 17* original stiff flex shafts (also have the SF-302 iron set 2-SW)

Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW

Wedges: Vokey 50*, Harry Taylor 56* and 60*

Putter: Bettinardi BB1 (original)

Interesting reading everyone’s strategy. Basically a few ways to control distance - change the length of the club, change the length of the swing, or change the speed using a full swing.

My follow on would be do you control distance with you full swing and distance wedges the same way?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Interesting reading everyone’s strategy. Basically a few ways to control distance - change the length of the club, change the length of the swing, or change the speed using a full swing.

My follow on would be do you control distance with you full swing and distance wedges the same way?

Full Shots:

I used to try to extend a club rather than clubbing up.  Now if I am in a weird spot I tend to swing a little lighter with the next club up... Usually a fade shape.

But if I absolutely need more out of a club, I will hit a pull on purpose.  Usually a little pull draw.  This is my go to shot when it hits the fan.

15 hours ago, BadgerGolfer said:

I do it.  I will sometimes grip down an inch or 2 when I want to take some distance off of a club.  It allows me to use the same swing but get 5 yards less and sometimes when Im in-between clubs, its a help.

I'm the same. I sort of have a gap in the top of my bag between 6i and 4h. 5i would theoretically be perfect, but consistency is poor. I have found that if I choke down on the 4h about an inch, it is right at decent 5i distance.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I tend to grip down an inch or so normally for better face contact. I'll slide down even further if I think I'm in between distances.

I also normally play midsized grips, so gripping down doesn't feel as weird with those.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

With irons I only grip down (and play the ball back) to lower the ball flight which does result in less distance for me.  

At the top of the bag I will grip down with the driver and fairway woods to get a little less distance if there is something out there I don't want to reach.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I'm all about the different swing lengths to hit in between distances. If I was to move my hands down, then I need to change my setup to stand closer, which then changes my downswing angle, etc. -- a lot of added variables in a repeatable swing.

I go with the 7:30/9/10:30 swing distances for each club, so then I know what length of swing shows what distance, and play from there.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Sub Zero,10°, Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

3W: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Sub Zero, 15°, Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

3H: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Sub Zero, 18°, KBS Tour Hybrid 75S

4i-PW: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Pro, +1°, True Temper Elevate Tour S, Standard Lie

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 - 50°/12F, 54°/14F, 58°/14K

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Special Select Squareback 2, 35"

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

I do a combination of partial swings and choking up my grip to get in between distances. But I still haven't done a thorough enough job of documenting my full swing numbers (let along partials) to fully understand when I should be hitting which shots. That is something I plan to do next year however. Hopefully with a new set of irons in the bag 🤣

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

From top of grip (normal grip position) to bottom of grip is roughly 10 yards for me from any iron or swing due to the change in club head speed. 

Finesse wedge swing (shaft parallel) with GW is 40 yards when gripping down near steel. Grip at top end of grip - pretty close to 50 yards.
Full swing with GW = ~100 yards, full swing-grip down = 90 yards, grip down and swing back to 9 o'clock = 80 yards. 

These 10 and 20 yard increments are consistent with my distance wedges all the way up to 9 iron. 7 and 8 iron get less consistent on the 9 o'clock swing, but gripping down still works. Experimenting with this over the winter on SC200 launch monitor in Target Mode. 8 iron test had larger distance variation on the 3/4 swings to 9 o'clock then trying to make a consistent, full swing with only 7 yards difference in average carry. On 3/4 swings that I pured and made a more aggressive swing, it produced the same distance as a full effort swing even though I was trying to hit it 10 yards shorter. 

Going to test other clubs and then compare full swings with grip changes to see if they are more consistent for distance control than backswing length. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Yes I can shorten grip positions on club for my shot needed. When I learned golf decades ago this was routinely taught as there were not clubs exactly 3 or 4 degrees, etc gapped in a set of irons/wedges. For example I think of what was called half shots. Not everyone can grip normal length iron and swing "slower" to adjust for in between distances. But someone could "choke" down an inch or two and make more comfortable swing. That was taught to me.

Of course one may need to alter ball positions in stance as lie angle changes, close/open club face. Caveat the golfers with great hand action/club face control do not necessarily have alter their stance, etc as much while shortening their grips. That is my experience/observations.

Today there are so many "fill in the gap" options like gap wedges, lob wedges, etc. I am from era when those were not readily available/common and you had to learn to manufacture a particular shot so to speak (ie I only had 48 deg pw / 55 deg sw).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I usually just shorten my swing to hit it shorter, usually the only time I will grip down is when the ball is above my feet.

:cobra-small:Radspeed 10.5*

:titleist-small:TS 15* 3 Wood

:mizuno-small:CLK 19* Hybrid

:mizuno-small:JPX 900 Forged P-4 Irons

:titleist-small:SM7 52*&56* Wedges

:titleist-small:SM6 60* Wedge

:taylormade-small:Ghost Spider Putter

:bridgestone-small:Tour B XS

Great to hear everyone's thoughts. When I got my new clubs the Callaway Pro asked if I did this and when I said yes he suggested a slightly larger grip. They are mid size but have 2 layers of tape underneath.  They feel great with my normal grip but have found they feel still feel good with a shortened grip.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001