TESTERS WANTED! ×

Smoking a pipe while playing a round

The year was ~2005.  I was volunteering at my college roommate's dad's company's golf tournament at Kingsmill.  I had probably only played golf a handful of times, so I was somewhat knowable of golf, but not much.  We were tasked with handing out beer and water on a par 3.  The tee box was separated from the green by a deep crevasse.  You could get away with hitting long, left, or right, but definitely not short.  This was before gps or lasers were common, so each group that came up to the tee would ask us how the hole was playing.  At the time, I did not understand that because the green was slightly elevated, but stated distance on the tee box of say 155 would actually play longer at let's say 165, but my roommate did and he'd explain that to each group.  The day was mostly uneventful as we drank some beers and talked to each group as they passed through.  Two things have really stuck with me though.  One particularly drunk individual literally stumbled up to the tee, asked for the distance, stumbled back to his cart, selected a club, and proceeded to stick it within about 9 feet.  I thought it was one of the more incredible things I'd ever seen.  The next was a much older gentleman.  A well dressed man of about 70 I'd estimate.  He had a mustache and a newsboy/driving cap.  He walked up puffing on a pipe.  Armed with the distance, he selected a club, tucked the still lit pipe into his back pocket with the bowl just hanging out and away from him, hit the middle of the green, and then went to relight the pipe as the rest of his foursome took their tee shots.  To this day, despite seeing countless cigar smokers out there, I don't think I've seen anyone with a pipe since.  I'm an avid cigar smoker, and while I do own a few pipes, it's not really my thing.  But with the weather changing, maybe this year is the year I'll finally give pipe smoking on the course a shot.

Titleist 913D2

Ping G2 3W

Ping G2 3H 18*, 4H 22*

Mizuno JPX900

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

• 2 weeks later...

While I'd love to see someone smoke a pipe on the course I think it would be too much of a hassle to keep the burn even, avoid excess moisture on a wetter day, and, God forbid, an accidental dump/ bump in a cart. Imagine having to re-pack it every couple holes? Oof. I refuse to smoke nicer cigars on course for the same reason. Relighting a good stogie is a travesty!

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-P

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 6:52 PM, AcesAndHoles said:

While I'd love to see someone smoke a pipe on the course I think it would be too much of a hassle to keep the burn even, avoid excess moisture on a wetter day, and, God forbid, an accidental dump/ bump in a cart. Imagine having to re-pack it every couple holes? Oof. I refuse to smoke nicer cigars on course for the same reason. Relighting a good stogie is a travesty!

I with you on smoking nicer cigars on the course.  You can't really appreciate them with so much going on.  If I had the skills, I'd try the pipe though.  I'm pretty sure that old guy putted while smoking.  

Titleist 913D2

Ping G2 3W

Ping G2 3H 18*, 4H 22*

Mizuno JPX900

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

• 2 years later...

Screenshot_2023-01-28-09-35-32-93_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-01-28-09-35-55-21_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

Pipe smoking (traditional type that is) seems to have gone out of vogue.  I don't see too many folks smoking them anywhere let alone on the golf course.  I remember a neighbor friend of my folks that smoked a pipe and his discolored moustache - a small area where the stem was positioned. I also remember a carousel like pipe stand that had about a dozen pipes on it.  The entire house smelled of tobacco. They and other neighbors would play cards in the kitchen and the whole place was filled with smoke... we'd have to disconnect all the smoke alarms in today's dwellings 🤣.  While not being around folks smoking on the course is my preference, I'll take cigar and pipe smoke/smell over cigarettes anytime 🤮.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Before I quit smoking cigarettes years ago, I tried switching to a pipe.  I smoked it on the course a few times.  I would set it in a cup holder in  the golf cart while I hit a shot.  I never tried hitting a shot with it in my mouth.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS