TESTERS WANTED! ×

Phil

Shankster

Phil... I believe this man deserves his own thread.

I am enjoying the 50+ Phil quite a bit.  100% win ratio, dwarfing drives out there, still providing short game genius shots.  Plus, his social media game is top shelf.

Lets make this a tribute to the Lefty himself. 

So first discussion question: how much of Phil's public persona is performance art versus "just being him"? Or did those lines probably blend years ago?

In any case, I'm with @Shankster on this: he is tremendously entertaining. Here's hoping that there's some Sunday in the future in which he catches "Watson at the 2009 British Open" magic at a US Open—but with an even happier ending.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

When I first started to really get into golf, like a lot of others when Tiger hit the scene, Phil intrigued me and I grew to enjoy watching him on the course.  I think he's up for some big things in the Champions League.

Not too sure about the aviator's though.  Maybe it was just a phase.

I'm on board with a Phil only thread!

Just tap it in.  Lil' taparoo.

:honma: TW747 460 10.5° Vizard stiff

:adams-small: 4 Hybrid

:Sub70: 699 5-Aw; KBS Tour-V 90 Stiff

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 58°

:taylormade-small: Spider Interactive

I think this has always been Phil but he's just really leaning into it more now.

So first discussion question: how much of Phil's public persona is performance art versus "just being him"? Or did those lines probably blend years ago?
In any case, I'm with [mention=69396]Shankster[/mention] on this: he is tremendously entertaining. Here's hoping that there's some Sunday in the future in which he catches "Watson at the 2009 British Open" magic at a US Open—but with an even happier ending.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Phil certainly has the personality to go with his flamboyant style of golf.  He is such an idiot.  🤣

He will be able to compete for several years at the Masters and Open Championship, but will find it difficult at US Open and PGA depending on courses and setup.

I liked his broadcast debut.  However, he probably won't be doing that as long as he can have fun out on the course, and he will do that a lot on the Champions Tour when he feels he can't compete on Tour.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

56 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

In any case, I'm with @Shankster on this: he is tremendously entertaining. Here's hoping that there's some Sunday in the future in which he catches "Watson at the 2009 British Open" magic at a US Open—but with an even happier ending.

I think the lines blurred years ago.  One of my favorite “Phil-isms” is when he interrupted the announcer when they were rattling off all of Tigers accomplishments. Haha.

Was a caddie for the recent Dominion Energy Charity Classic and got to see Phil a few times during the ProAm. He was a step above the field off the tee by a good 50yards on most holes. It's almost unfair to the rest of the guys! 

Got one photo of him on 18 the second day of the ProAm. Was very fun to see him join the "Champions" Tour!PXL_20201015_214824363.jpg.5876ae96877a9b4496345dcb9d38814c.jpg

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

2 minutes ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

Was a caddie for the recent Dominion Energy Charity Classic and got to see Phil a few times during the ProAm. He was a step above the field off the tee by a good 50yards on most holes. It's almost unfair to the rest of the guys! 

Got one photo of him on 18 the second day of the ProAm. Was very fun to see him join the "Champions" Tour!PXL_20201015_214824363.jpg.5876ae96877a9b4496345dcb9d38814c.jpg

That’s awesome.  I think the up and coming Champions tour will be pretty fun to watch. If and when that other guy joins... the champ tour will get the spotlight it deserves... unfortunately it will take that happening.  Phil should help out a lot too.

A big Phil fan here.  He's been fun to watch since the start and, like Furyk, Couples, and others, adding new spice to the Champions Tour - which I've followed for years.  

5 hours ago, IDontGiveAchuck said:

No way.... it's all about the aviators 🙂.

Phil Mickelson reveals the story behind those cool shades

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

17 hours ago, IDontGiveAchuck said:

When I first started to really get into golf, like a lot of others when Tiger hit the scene, Phil intrigued me and I grew to enjoy watching him on the course.  I think he's up for some big things in the Champions League.

I'm on board with a Phil only thread!

I just realized I called it Champions 'League'.  I am mixing up sports!  I've been keeping on eye on Premier League soccer and how my Spurs are doing, so I had the Champions League in my head.

My apologies to everyone.

Just tap it in.  Lil' taparoo.

:honma: TW747 460 10.5° Vizard stiff

:adams-small: 4 Hybrid

:Sub70: 699 5-Aw; KBS Tour-V 90 Stiff

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 58°

:taylormade-small: Spider Interactive

Haven’t been much of a fan of the champions tour in the past. The recent group of players that have hit 50 has generated some interest. Guess it is because I don’t know a lot of the players on the PGA tour and anyone can win in any given week so the names at the top are always different...not necessarily a bad think, but makes it harder to follow the players. I am actually starting to look for the broadcast times to watch TV coverage.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Phil's testing a 47.5" driver this week in preparation for the Masters lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Phil is cool Phil and Rickie Fowler was the only ones that took the time to sign everyone's autographs and spoke to people like they were their friends, compared to a few others that looked at you like you had a disease.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

21 hours ago, IDontGiveAchuck said:

I just realized I called it Champions 'League'.  I am mixing up sports!  I've been keeping on eye on Premier League soccer and how my Spurs are doing, so I had the Champions League in my head.

My apologies to everyone.

Champions League sounds better.  Like a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.  No reason to apologize. 

Phil’s always been one of my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Phil is cool Phil and Rickie Fowler was the only ones that took the time to sign everyone's autographs and spoke to people like they were their friends, compared to a few others that looked at you like you had a disease.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

Yup, I’ve seen that in person also. Phil signed every autograph even when the cameras were off.
Some of these guys are great when cameras are on but disappear when there’re off.
Phil seems to be real.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I'm a fan.  He took a lot of heat for the "takedown" of Captain Tom Watson after the 2014 Ryder Cup, and maybe there was a batter way to handle it, but I genuinely think he believed the only way to effect needed change was to rattle some cages.  You could argue that the "task force" and the win at Hazeltine were results.  Yeah, 2018 didn't go so well, but you don't give up the formula after one loss.

Long-winded way of saying it seems to me he stuck his own neck out and took some hits for it, and did it to effect change that was clearly needed.  

EDIT:  Side note, and I don't want to take us off topic, but the Ryder Cup to me is hands down the greatest event in sport, never mind golf.  I'm beyond bummed to have to wait another year.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I hope Phil goes out in style! He doesn't need to win anything to go out in style either. Just making a push or being in the final pair will be awesome. If he somehow make the cut at the Masters this also is an accomplishment in itself with the field being so deep. Kudos to Phil on everything

It's always interesting to watch someone transition over to the Senior's. They just dominate for a while. I really was just ok with Phil years back but since he transformed himself into being physically fit he seemed to change a lot of things in his persona as well. I can't help but wonder what the rest of the seniors thought when Phil announced that he was teeing it up with them.  Two events and already ranked #10. I wish I had half his skill level.

But ditch the funky shades!

All the gum chewers are driving me crazy too.   

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

It's always interesting to watch someone transition over to the Senior's. They just dominate for a while. I really was just ok with Phil years back but since he transformed himself into being physically fit he seemed to change a lot of things in his persona as well. I can't help but wonder what the rest of the seniors thought when Phil announced that he was teeing it up with them.  Two events and already ranked #10. I wish I had half his skill level.

But ditch the funky shades!

All the gum chewers are driving me crazy too.   

I can see that.  I remember my dads Trio was Phil, Ernie and Vijay right before Tiger turned golf upside down.  Phil was always... Phil.

I mean... he is hitting bombs out there.  At what point does the putting and short game fail him?  I’m actually surprised he isn’t doing better.  Must be inaccurate with the extra speed... more so than he was before.

I was just reading an article that basically said he was only slightly less accurate than he used to be... and much longer off the tee.

https://apple.news/A_8Nwn2B5TNqJcxQwc07plQ

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV