TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report-QStar Tour

Golfspy_CG2

I know this is a favorite ball of many of our readers.  Share your thoughts below.  I'm sure there will be several, considering the outcome. 

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-srixon-q-star-tour-golf-ball-review/

a photo of Srixon Q-Star Tour Golf Balls

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Whoa.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

This was painful to read. I've stuck by this ball as my urethane choice but these results are eye opening. These are some pretty big inconsistencies. 

It'll really be interesting to see how Srixon responds to this.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

18 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

This was painful to read. I've stuck by this ball as my urethane choice but these results are eye opening. These are some pretty big inconsistencies. 

It'll really be interesting to see how Srixon responds to this.

I tried this ball and didn't care for it.

It's nice the MGS is looking out for the consumer and holding OEMs accountable for quality.  

Srixon is a great company.  I would expect no less than what Callaway did with the Chrome Soft.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I tried this ball and didn't care for it.

It's nice the MGS is looking out for the consumer and holding OEMs accountable for quality.  

Srixon is a great company.  I would expect no less than what Callaway did with the Chrome Soft.

I also would hope that the response would be the same... however Callaway was looking at big concerns with QC on their flagship ball. The QST is a solid ball for Srixon but probably not close to the top of what they're selling. 

yikes, this was eye opening.  glad i only paid $20/dozen for the two boxes i picked up.

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

I was surprised with the results of this ball lab evaluation, I am truly disappointing with the general defects of the Srixon balls that were tested.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

never played this ball but the members of MGS forum seem to really like them so was going to give them a try but not sure about now 😵

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

I didn't have an opinion on Srixon balls, but I do now, "and not in a good way..." I found one a while ago, guess I'll put it back where I found it (in the deep rough).

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I just evaluated that ball. I thought it went well. Certainly not worth the retail price but the BOGO deals make it appealing

Edited by chosenhandle
just learning to spell

I would like to publicly apologize to my family for golfing so much

OUCH!

That's rough.  I have never played this one but I know some that do.

Maybe that's why they do the BOGO deals, so you can get a good dozen out of two.

Just tap it in.  Lil' taparoo.

:honma: TW747 460 10.5° Vizard stiff

:adams-small: 4 Hybrid

:Sub70: 699 5-Aw; KBS Tour-V 90 Stiff

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 58°

:taylormade-small: Spider Interactive

I am in love with the Ball Lab series. I have tried playing Srixon balls at every level, and have never liked them. The covers always get damaged and they seem to lack consistent flight across the box. I, like many of you, have picked them up in the buy one get one promotions, but after the last time, I knew that was it. I find it interesting the balls I have preferred have come out on the better end of the ball lab testing, while balls like this and the Chrome soft have performed at a lower level. While I would like to think of myself as a hitting machine, thats probably not the case, so I really feel like these tests are real deal. Thanks, MGS for providing the data to keep us in the fairway. 👍

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

This is a confidence shaker in the brand. Be interested to see the results of the other balls from Srixon.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Shocking and really head-scratching.  I've heard Tony several times on No Putts Given comment on Titleist, Bridgestone, and Srixon as being the "premier" OEMs in the premium ball space.  If the Q-Star has these kind of issues it definitely begs the question, what about the Z Star?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

The thing that shocks me isn't the layer issues or what not, I expect those from time to time. But roundness being an issue is a stunner. At the very least that seems like that shouldn't be a question, and yet here we are.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

15 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

The thing that shocks me isn't the layer issues or what not, I expect those from time to time. But roundness being an issue is a stunner. At the very least that seems like that shouldn't be a question, and yet here we are.

LOL..OT but I can't resist, that last comment, I head in the voice of Frank Reagan (Tom Selleck-Blue Bloods) it's one of his go to phrases when they end up in a mess. 

I'm definitely surprised by this.  I'm equally concerned as to how all Srixon balls will fare and by how other balls in the value urethane category will fare.  

Over my year of playing only this ball I saw some odd flights, but always blamed that on growing and learning.  I had even had some similar flights out of Tour balls and just blamed it on my swing.  I switched recently to Z Stars and saw a big improvement in my game and now I see some of the factors behind it.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

I hope the Z Stars get better results.

I may have misread, but was IBCR weighted the same for all the previous ball tests? I understand that the standard deviation was far worse here, but I want to know if those same deviations in IBCR contributed to the overall % of bad balls in the previous tests.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

It seems to be a little unfair to not do the z star as the first Srixon ball. All others have been the premium balls, but this is more of a "budget" ball. So until we see that the results of the other balls from this category from the other company's, and the results of a premium Srixon ball I'm not sure it's fair to judge every OEM from only one ball being tested.

6 minutes ago, 2puttbogey said:

It seems to be a little unfair to not do the z star as the first Srixon ball. All others have been the premium balls, but this is more of a "budget" ball. So until we see that the results of the other balls from this category from the other company's, and the results of a premium Srixon ball I'm not sure it's fair to judge every OEM from only one ball being tested.

Not sure I agree with that.  The test is specific to the model.  They tested the Pro V1; that doesn't mean (nor do they suggest) that the findings from that test apply to the Velocity, Tour Soft, etc.  Similarly, this doesn't in and of itself mean a Z Star must have roundness issues too.  it simply means a Q Star Tour does, and yes, "antennas up" for when Z Star gets tested.

Put simply, MGS has never suggested we should draw conclusions about Srixon as a whole, just this ball.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

5 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Not sure I agree with that.  The test is specific to the model.  They tested the Pro V1; that doesn't mean (nor do they suggest) that the findings from that test apply to the Velocity, Tour Soft, etc.  Similarly, this doesn't in and of itself mean a Z Star must have roundness issues too.  it simply means a Q Star Tour does, and yes, "antennas up" for when Z Star gets tested.

Put simply, MGS has never suggested we should draw conclusions about Srixon as a whole, just this ball.

Agreed. The QST is a pretty popular ball, and MGS from what I've seen is looking to do a wide cross-section of balls in their testing. There's nothing unfair about that, at all.

1 hour ago, 2puttbogey said:

Tony has said early on the order of testing was as much determined by the popularity of use of ball by the readers and public in general.  I think if we were to have access to Srixon sales numbers, we'd see the Q Star/Q Star Tour is probably the biggest selling ball link it's lineup 

Titleist is know for it's Tour line ProV so that's what everyone wanted to see,  Srixon Z Star while a very good ball, is not really the first ball that comes to mind for the company when you factor in ALL golfers, not just forum readers which is really like 1% of the golf playing market. 

55 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

This was not a hot take of MGS, it's about some of the reactions and judgment made about Srixon, when Titlist and others may have similar issues. 

18 minutes ago, 2puttbogey said:

This was not a hot take of MGS, it's about some of the reactions and judgment made about Srixon, when Titlist and others may have similar issues. 

I understand that, I'm simply saying I don't think it's accurate to call it "unfair" of Tony or MGS to not test Srixon's premium ball first.  They tested a premium ball from Titleist and Bridgestone because, as @Golfspy_CG2points out, those are the big volume balls...the Pro V1 and the Tour B XS "Tiger Ball".  If anyone walked away from those tests assuming the evaluations applied to all Titleist balls or all Bridgestone balls, then they drastically missed the point and are making some big inferences. Similarly, one shouldn't make blanket assumptions about all Srixon balls now.

MGS' decision to select and prioritize testing based on volume of sales is consistent with their intent to focus on the consumer and do what's most helpful to the consumer.  Put another way, fairness to the consumer before fairness to the OEM. (And again, I don't see how this is unfair.)

Doesn’t look good for Srixon, but I still don’t know what these results mean for the person playing the Q-star. Another archer vs arrow debate I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

1 minute ago, Micah T said:

Doesn’t look good for Srixon, but I still don’t know what these results mean for the person playing the Q-star. Another archer vs arrow debate I’m sure.

I don't know, kind of settles the debate in this case.  If the ball isn't round, you could have a great read, great contact, great pace, and great line, and still miss!  That's an arrow problem all the way.

9 minutes ago, Micah T said:

This has been my point all along. However the rest of the tests come out there is now a bias against the quality of Srixon in general for some people. Even if the tour speed, pro response, and others in this category are similar, and the z star is just as quality as the pro v and tp5 the initial perception has already been established for some.

2 minutes ago, 2puttbogey said:

This has been my point all along. However the rest of the tests come out there is now a bias against the quality of Srixon in general for some people. Even if the tour speed, pro response, and others in this category are similar, and the z star is just as quality as the pro v and tp5 the initial perception has already been established for some.

I don't think this is the case at all

Coincidental note.

I met with a company rep today that its  ball is one of the "Big Boys" He came into my office literally an hour or so after I read the report.   We talked about the results and his companies results in the test.  And he thinks the Z Star is a very  good ball and is interested to see how it fairs.

But he brought up a very good point.  The average Joe consumer that buys golf balls will never see or hear about this report or any of the Ball Lab reports.  They aren't on forums.  And those of us that are on the forums and read these reports are in tune with the industry enough to know there is a difference between the Z-Star and Q Star manufacturing process.   And it's fair to say the majority on here will not hold this test against Srixon as a whole or judge the Z Star by this, we'll wait and see the report for it.