TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report-QStar Tour

Golfspy_CG2

5 minutes ago, 2puttbogey said:

This has been my point all along. However the rest of the tests come out there is now a bias against the quality of Srixon in general for some people. Even if the tour speed, pro response, and others in this category are similar, and the z star is just as quality as the pro v and tp5 the initial perception has already been established for some.

Perhaps you are correct to those who don't think critically about these things and take them at face value as being there across the brand. Of course, the inverse could also be true. People could be more intrigued and awaiting the result of those premium balls now to either prove that the issues are at lower price points, or that the issues are across the brand, when most might have not been interested in the Z line at all.

Also, not to blow smoke, but I agree with the direction @Golfspy_CG2 is taking the conversation as as why Q Star Tour before Z Star. Looking back at all the balls that came before, all had a reason for being picked.

Chrome Soft: Whole reason this thing exists, Pro V1: The standard against all balls are judged, Tour B XS: Tiger's Ball famously stated to be the same ball regardless if off the truck or the shelf, TP5: Arguably the #2 ball on tour(?) used by DJ, Rors, and Rahm, MTB-X: The 800 pound DTC Gorilla in the room, Costco: The ball that nearly changed everything, until it changed, Maxfli: Shock performer of the Ball Test, and Store Brand Marvel, and now Q-Star Tour: arguably the mid-tier ball of choice by most golfers.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

8 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Perhaps you are correct to those who don't think critically about these things and take them at face value as being there across the brand. Of course, the inverse could also be true. People could be more intrigued and awaiting the result of those premium balls now to either prove that the issues are at lower price points, or that the issues are across the brand, when most might have not been interested in the Z line at all.

Also, not to blow smoke, but I agree with the direction @Golfspy_CG2 is taking the conversation as as why Q Star Tour before Z Star. Looking back at all the balls that came before, all had a reason for being picked.

Chrome Soft: Whole reason this thing exists, Pro V1: The standard against all balls are judged, Tour B XS: Tiger's Ball famously stated to be the same ball regardless if off the truck or the shelf, TP5: Arguably the #2 ball on tour(?) used by DJ, Rors, and Rahm, MTB-X: The 800 pound DTC Gorilla in the room, Costco: The ball that nearly changed everything, until it changed, Maxfli: Shock performer of the Ball Test, and Store Brand Marvel, and now Q-Star Tour: arguably the mid-tier ball of choice by most golfers.

Thanks for seeing my point on this, and unfortunately there's many that don't think critically now a days. I get the point of how it was selected. My experience with this ball lines up with the results I got from it as well (not good). I have used the other balls tested at some point as well and it seemed to line up with the testing as well.

I am paying a tremendous amount of attention to all these test results. The data MGS is compiling its fantastic and it's just about everything I want to know about a ball in one place.

I love Pro V1s, but can't afford to play that ball all the time. I think the Z Star is the replacement, but we'll see if that's true when this is all said and done. Keep up the good work guys.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I am paying a tremendous amount of attention to all these test results. The data MGS is compiling its fantastic and it's just about everything I want to know about a ball in one place.

I love Pro V1s, but can't afford to play that ball all the time. I think the Z Star is the replacement, but we'll see if that's true when this is all said and done. Keep up the good work guys.

Take Dead Aim

I was playing the Pro Vs and switched to Srixon on our head Pro's recommendation. They had a lot of shelf space at our Pro shop so they must have gotten a great deal. I just didn't care for them and ended up switching to MTB-X which I really like.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I was playing the Pro Vs and switched to Srixon on our head Pro's recommendation. They had a lot of shelf space at our Pro shop so they must have gotten a great deal. I just didn't care for them and ended up switching to MTB-X which I really like.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
After the MGS report, a dozen MTB-X is the first thing I'm buying when Ohio thaws in the spring. I need to try that ball. I think the Z-Stars are great, so that's my Pro V1 alternative right now. Hard to pass up when 2 dozen Z-stars are cheaper than 1 dozen Pro V1.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

I usually play Z-Star but have played the QST, and the regular Ionomer Q-Star. Its hard to come to a conclusion based on my performance,  but definitely a noticeable difference in consistency across the box between the premium balls, and the budget balls.

WITB

Driver: :srixon-small: Z785 , Hazardous 6.0 (Normal)

3 Wood: :srixon-small: F85 @ 13.5* Hazardous Red 6.0 (Stiff)

Driving Iron/Utility: :srixon-small: ZU85 2iron @ 18*

Irons: 5-PW, :cleveland-small: 588CB w/ TT S300's  (Stiff)

Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX4 Satin, 50*/Mid, 56*/Mid and 60*/Low

Putter: :cleveland-small:Portofino

Bag: :srixon-small: Stand Bag

I don't think this is the case at all
Coincidental note.
I met with a company rep today that its  ball is one of the "Big Boys" He came into my office literally an hour or so after I read the report.   We talked about the results and his companies results in the test.  And he thinks the Z Star is a very  good ball and is interested to see how it fairs.
But he brought up a very good point.  The average Joe consumer that buys golf balls will never see or hear about this report or any of the Ball Lab reports.  They aren't on forums.  And those of us that are on the forums and read these reports are in tune with the industry enough to know there is a difference between the Z-Star and Q Star manufacturing process.   And it's fair to say the majority on here will not hold this test against Srixon as a whole or judge the Z Star by this, we'll wait and see the report for it.

Nicely stated Rob. I have three dozen of the Q Stars in my closet and now I am fearful of using them.

Currently gaming Wilson Staff Professionals and Maxfli Tour CG.

Using Tour Edge Exotics EXS Driver w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue regular shaft; Cobra King F8 4W & 6W w/Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue regular shaft; Tour Edge CVX 119 4 Hybrid , Irons 5-PW Wilson Staff D-7 w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cobra King wedges 50/54/58 & Bellum Winmore 707 putter.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I don't know, kind of settles the debate in this case.  If the ball isn't round, you could have a great read, great contact, great pace, and great line, and still miss!  That's an arrow problem all the way.

My point is: if you liked them and played well with them, does this change the fact you scored well? If you didn’t like them, now you feel justified: obviously no one is going to switch to a QST now, but if you bought them on deal, what now?

Data is always good, and I love reading these articles, but I’ll be damned if 20 out of 30 lowest all time rounds from the last 2 years aren’t all with chromesoft...

Does that mean the test is wrong? No, of course not. But it doesn’t invalidate anyone’s individual experience either.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

9 hours ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I hope the Z Stars get better results.

I may have misread, but was IBCR weighted the same for all the previous ball tests? I understand that the standard deviation was far worse here, but I want to know if those same deviations in IBCR contributed to the overall % of bad balls in the previous tests.

Take Dead Aim

IBCR wasn't an issue for other ball test because the range was so small by comparison. Remember, IBCR is short for "In-Ball Compression Range". As Tony noted, it's common to see a range of 2 or 3 compression points for a single premium ball, but with the Q-Star Tour he was seeing ranges as high as 9.5 on the single worst ball measured.

I didn't see anywhere that said if IBCR on its own caused any balls to be considered bad, but I'd imagine that another production related issue would have.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

8 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

Excellent post.

I'm not ditching my Z-Star XVs just yet.  But I am interested in seeing the test results.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I played the AD333(Q Star in USA) for the first time last year and was amazed by the performance from an ionomer cover, especially the consistency off irons and spin around the greens. The only issue I had was the slightly too firm feel off mid and long irons.

I then tried the Q Star Tour hoping for similar performance but with softer feel... I could not believe the difference. I had approach shots flying way offline in both directions, balls dropping out of the air suddenly, chipping felt like using a power ball and had no spin on them, putting was near impossible.

This all makes a lot more sense now. Thanks MGS. 

6 hours ago, LLS said:

I played the AD333(Q Star in USA) for the first time last year and was amazed by the performance from an ionomer cover, especially the consistency off irons and spin around the greens. The only issue I had was the slightly too firm feel off mid and long irons.

I then tried the Q Star Tour hoping for similar performance but with softer feel... I could not believe the difference. I had approach shots flying way offline in both directions, balls dropping out of the air suddenly, chipping felt like using a power ball and had no spin on them, putting was near impossible.

This all makes a lot more sense now. Thanks MGS. 

The AD333 is the ball I go to at this time of year. In Ohio, you can lose a ball on every tee shot... in plain sight in the Fall. The AD333 works well for me for distance and feel. It's cheap enough not to worry about losing in the leaves and glare. 

IBCR wasn't an issue for other ball test because the range was so small by comparison. Remember, IBCR is short for "In-Ball Compression Range". As Tony noted, it's common to see a range of 2 or 3 compression points for a single premium ball, but with the Q-Star Tour he was seeing ranges as high as 9.5 on the single worst ball measured.
I didn't see anywhere that said if IBCR on its own caused any balls to be considered bad, but I'd imagine that another production related issue would have.
Here's the quote from the report that got my attention. In short, are these considered bad because the deviation is much worse than compared to the other balls tested so far.

"My intent isn’t to pile it on, so to speak, but I felt the detailed explanation was necessary for you to understand why we flagged 42 percent of the Srixon Q-Star Tour balls we tested as bad based on the IBCR."

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

10 hours ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

After the MGS report, a dozen MTB-X is the first thing I'm buying when Ohio thaws in the spring. I need to try that ball. I think the Z-Stars are great, so that's my Pro V1 alternative right now. Hard to pass up when 2 dozen Z-stars are cheaper than 1 dozen Pro V1.

Take Dead Aim

You won’t regret it.  Great balls!  Tried them this year myself after reading such good reviews on the last round of tests and am hooked.  

If the testing results for Srixon Q Star Tour balls were that bad I have a bad feeling for my Inesis Tour 900 balls. They belong in the budget bracket too. I guess it is better to know than not to... Sigh... 

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

11 hours ago, Micah T said:

My point is: if you liked them and played well with them, does this change the fact you scored well? If you didn’t like them, now you feel justified: obviously no one is going to switch to a QST now, but if you bought them on deal, what now?

Data is always good, and I love reading these articles, but I’ll be damned if 20 out of 30 lowest all time rounds from the last 2 years aren’t all with chromesoft...

Does that mean the test is wrong? No, of course not. But it doesn’t invalidate anyone’s individual experience either.

I understand your point, I do. 

My point is, MGS has just shown us, with data to prove it, that over a third of the balls in a dozen are likely to not be round, and to be inconsistent from a compression standpoint.  In all likelihood the round you're describing would be with one of the good ones from the batch.  Show me the mean and range across scores throughout the dozen, and this test would suggest the range would show an appreciable variance in scoring.

To continue with this worn out "indian vs arrow" analogy, it's still possible to hit the target with a crooked arrow, but its certainly harder than if you just had a straight arrow.  Golf has enough variables making it hard, introducing the potential to have a not-round ball is one variable I'm glad MGS is helping me avoid.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

58 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

My point is, MGS has just shown us, with data to prove it, that over a third of the balls in a dozen are likely to not be round, and to be inconsistent from a compression standpoint. 

The test methods and data Tony is gathering is pure awesomeness.  However, statistically he is looking at but a fraction of the production runs and we have no way of knowing whether this is an isolated case or systemic and reflective of thee normal build process.  That he is buying the various test ball randomly and through retail channels, without any opportunity for bias, is great - but it is still a very, very small sample.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

The test methods and data Tony is gathering is pure awesomeness.  However, statistically he is looking at but a fraction of the production runs and we have no way of knowing whether this is an isolated case or systemic and reflective of thee normal build process.  That he is buying the various test ball randomly and through retail channels, without any opportunity for bias, is great - but it is still a very, very small sample.

Sure, but certainly an indicator of a problem...it's extremely unlikely Tony got unlucky in the balls he picked up.  I suppose it's possible this is localized to one production run, but it's equally as likely (frankly, probably more so) that this is rooted in the overall build process.  In the end, what each of us chooses to do with this info is our own decision. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

20 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

forum readers which is really like 1% of the golf playing market. 

That much? That's pretty awesome! 😄

I nearly snagged a couple doz with the summer BOGO to see if I could benefit from the lower spin on the long game while still keeping some greenside action, but opted not to (mostly since QST for ~$16/doz vs ZStar XV for ~$20/doz seems like an unfair comparison. Of course I'll pay $4 for a ball I know works for me.)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Sure, but certainly an indicator of a problem...it's extremely unlikely Tony got unlucky in the balls he picked up.  I suppose it's possible this is localized to one production run, but it's equally as likely (frankly, probably more so) that this is rooted in the overall build process.  In the end, what each of us chooses to do with this info is our own decision. 

Oh Lord, this got me to thinking about Covid data and statistics 🤪

There are many, many examples of production runs gone bad (think recalls).  With the exception of the Kirkland (splitting ball) fiasco, I don't remember ever seeing other golf balls being recalled.  First, they are not controlled by secondary agencies or introduce public risk (though on any given day, I've witnessed things on golf courses that would suggest otherwise 🙂), and secondly, the vast majority of users would never notice the less than optimal condition.

We don't know how many different production runs have been done.  Is this factory only producing Srixon balls?  What if there are dozens of production runs/lots made; is it reasonable to presume all are good or bad?  To me, this merits a further deep dive into the weeds.  I would not be surprised if Srixon contacts Tony about this simply because of the potential negative impact to sales.  Presuming there are numerous production lots, a sampling of some of those would help the confidence level in determining isolated or systemic.

I'm sitting at the Ford dealer in Butte getting service for... your first two guesses don't count... so this defective part thing is fresh on my mind. 🤬

20 hours ago, Micah T said:

Doesn’t look good for Srixon, but I still don’t know what these results mean for the person playing the Q-star. Another archer vs arrow debate I’m sure.

I would be surprised that the ball manufacturers are NOT following the MGS Ball Testing.  With the history of the testing and response from Callaway (Chromesoft), and the manner in which information spreads across social media platforms... yea, very surprised.  

Perhaps more perplexing to me is that these types of inconsistencies are not found during production QC.  Do they not test? Do they not care? I mean it's not like the attributes Tony is testing are completely esoteric to what constitutes a good golf ball.  Moreover is that whatever attributes a ball has, that it is not consistent seems the bigger issue.  

The good news to us golfers is that MGS may drive these mfg.s to start caring more about product performance and consistency... yielding better value to the consumer 👍.  Go get em Tony!!

21 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I understand that, I'm simply saying I don't think it's accurate to call it "unfair" of Tony or MGS to not test Srixon's premium ball first.  They tested a premium ball from Titleist and Bridgestone because, as @Golfspy_CG2points out, those are the big volume balls...the Pro V1 and the Tour B XS "Tiger Ball".  If anyone walked away from those tests assuming the evaluations applied to all Titleist balls or all Bridgestone balls, then they drastically missed the point and are making some big inferences. Similarly, one shouldn't make blanket assumptions about all Srixon balls now.

MGS' decision to select and prioritize testing based on volume of sales is consistent with their intent to focus on the consumer and do what's most helpful to the consumer.  Put another way, fairness to the consumer before fairness to the OEM. (And again, I don't see how this is unfair.)

Another reason it was nice when they waited and released all the ball data at once like 2019. Then you could draw conclusions about brands and individual models. From what I gather MGS didn't do that this time around because a) testing was more extensive, and b) they'd like to monetize the project (subscription?) this time around? Please correct me if I'm wrong there.

Seeing one ball a week means we all need to be careful to reserve some judgements until we've seen more complete data...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

This is an eye opener.  I had a pretty good impression of Srixon balls but now I’m going to need to reassess.  I had normally played Z stars, so it will be interesting to see those results.

Edited by Abendew

:taylormade-small: M6, 9.0°, Mitsubishi TENSEI 70

:callaway-small:  Mavrick 3 Wood, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 80 Graphite

:titleist-small: TSi3, 19°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV RAW WHITE S

:titleist-small: T100s 4-G, Project X LZ 6.0

:titleist-small: SM6 52°

:callaway-small: Jaws Forged 56°

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Anser

Maxfli Tour

Talk about a hole in one.  - Happy Gilmore (1996)

I’ve been playing the Q Tour for a while. I like them but now I have to question when I play bad it it the ball? Maybe a combo of bad play/bad ball. I’ll probably never know.
I’m sure Srixon will correct the issue quickly.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

5 hours ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Here's the quote from the report that got my attention. In short, are these considered bad because the deviation is much worse than compared to the other balls tested so far.

"My intent isn’t to pile it on, so to speak, but I felt the detailed explanation was necessary for you to understand why we flagged 42 percent of the Srixon Q-Star Tour balls we tested as bad based on the IBCR."

Take Dead Aim

Ah, I missed that when I went back through last night just skimming the report for info. Still, I wouldn't expect based on what was stated for there to be any IBCR related fallout with the other ball models tested. Maybe, it will be something that comes up again down the line.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, greggarner said:

That much? That's pretty awesome! 😄

I nearly snagged a couple doz with the summer BOGO to see if I could benefit from the lower spin on the long game while still keeping some greenside action, but opted not to (mostly since QST for ~$16/doz vs ZStar XV for ~$20/doz seems like an unfair comparison. Of course I'll pay $4 for a ball I know works for me.)

LOL...And that's members of all forums like us and WRX and the smaller ones! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

10 minutes ago, jjfcpa said:

Still no response from Srixon?  Do they not care that their mid level ball got such a bad review?  

I'd assume that from the number of balls that were bad that they essentially don't have any QC reviewing what comes out of Indonesia.

They're too busy chewing out the QC person. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart